California Baptist University

« See more reviews of California Baptist University

Dear Vianey, this soon, shall pass. Do not allow your faithful peer oppressors dictate who you are or what you can and cannot become; you are better than anything they could possibly formulate and articulate about you. Only you know what you know and who you are, and no one can take that from you. Challenge every idea that pops in your head because why not? Be bound not by conventional social and academic standards, it is okay to be single at age seventeen. I promise you that teachers will not bite if you communicate with them, not everyone is out to get you. Asking questions is not wrong, the problem is not asking, for not knowing does not equal stupid. It is not all about you. Build not only academic success but success in your character. Be loving, be selfless, be you. Now is when you start opening or closing doors to your future. Be a jack-of-all-trades and master of your OWN future, because regardless of the ocean of belittling words and exhausting emotional beatings, you are golden, child.

If I got the chance to go back in time to my senior year in high school, I would tell myself not to be so stressed out and afraid of moving on. I remember myself the day before graduation thinking, "Wow, this is it. high school is over. I have to move on now to the real world." It's not so bad after all. I honestly love college and I love where i'm attending college, mostly because of the christian culture Cal baptist has to offer. Another thing I would tell myself is not to be so lazy because college is definitely stressful. I really started to get lazy my senior year because It was the last year of high school and I had already decided where I was going to college. I think I have carried the laziness along with me to college. I definitely realized it lately and picked up my game, My grades have never been better. Mostly though, college is a great experience. Even though the transition is hard, there are a bunch of other freshman there going through the same thing that you are. Your not alone.

Looking back, it seems as though my senior year of high school has passed by me without time to really enjoy it! As a senior, I felt that I was so eager to graduate high school and go on to college that I lost some of the nostalgia and enjoyment of being a senior. It was the final year for me to enjoy spending time with my classmates and relish the memories I had created with them. Transitioning to a new college was not easy at first, but I have learned to enjoy the different people around me and the diverse things that they can offer. It is important to enjoy the moment and realize that academics should not be the only core of your focus while attending college. I suppose if I had to sum up advice to myself during my senior year at high school, it would be as follows; enjoy the time you have left with your classmates and friends. Do not be too anxious about the future, but rather enjoy each day you have with those around you. Make sure to not only live life, but to live life in the moment.

I would tell my myself to don't be afraid of a challenge! That I shouldn't doubt my abilities, and take more AP classes! It would have paid off by the time I got to college! I would tell myself to continue to work diligenrly! Even when I was my lowest, most frustrationg point, I would tell myself no to quit, because you need perserverence for college! In addition, I would tell myself to don't forget to relax, take a breather, and have some fun! Being able to have fun is just as important as studying sometimes! Oh, and I would tell myself to sop overstudying (like studying 2-3 hours just for a 10 question quiz). The stress of overstudying causes me heart problems down the road, so I would have told my past self to kick the habit! Last, but most important, I would tell myself to have more faith in the Lord that I'll pull through college. It's hard to have the faith sometimes, but I would tell my past self I'd need all the faith I can muster just to get through the first semester of college!

As I stepped onto the old school campus I could hear my own young loud laugh. I looked over to where the freshman lockers were I saw myself talking with my new friends. I was so innocent and unknowledgeable of the harsh real world, but hopefully my visit would prepare me a little bit better for the future. I quickly walked up to myself and pulled her off to the side and began speaking. “Erin, I have to tell you something,” I said as I saw my young self’s face express shier shock and slight fear but I continued. “You will be very successful in school. You’re a very hard worker and one day, that hard work will pay off. Never doubt yourself and always remember to be proud of every little thing you do, good or bad. The choices you make from this point on will lead you to do something great in your future. There will be hard times, and even a few times where you don’t think that you’ll make it, but you are strong, and you always make come out on top. You will be great. Remember that.”

Ask more questions about the classes you need to take for pre-med. Don't talk to Rachel first semester- don't waste your time she ain't the one. Don't date Melissa, she ain't the one either. Study hard when you go to college, don't get a C- in calculus. PLEASE don't get a C- in calculus, it kills your GPA. Don't start smoking your summer before your sophomore year, I know life will get hard but just hang in there it gets better. Stay strong until you meet Michelle. MAKE sure you go to that wedding in October, you'll meet the most beautiful and amazing woman besides your mom. Be smarter with money, keep track of where your money is going! Apply to more scholorships. Your parents will tell you that they are finnally financially stable, but they aren't it's just a front so you don't worry. Just ask your older brother and sister about it, they'll tell you the truth. Study hard, a lot of sacrifices have been made for you to stand where you are. Don't ever give up your passion. Change the world.

I think that I would tell myself not to try and plan my entire life out before I graduate high school. Planning ahead is wise, but planning fifteen to twenty years in advance can be problematic if one link in the chain is never forged. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket, as one unknowingly wise friend once told you---don't be afraid to expand your horizons to more than just a few colleges or career options. Don't take failure or rejection too hard (easier said than done, I know), because there are always other paths to take in life; if your plans don't work out, don't let it get you down too much---just adjust your plans accordingly and move on! Focus on what you want to get out of life through your future college experience. Take time to develop as a person to be able to know what it is you're truly good at and what it is that you're passionate about. Don't be afraid of the word "career." Overall---be flexible, take everyone's urgings in stride, and don't be afraid of the future.

Being completely sure of who you need to be and what you will have to do in the future does not have to be decided now. However, what does need to be done is to truly stop and evaluate what is the most important thing in life. From that point on, it will be clear as to what needs to be done day by day in order to achieve an accomplishment far beyond the expected. If I could go back I would tell myself that looking at the big picture of life is so important. Meaning, every thing I do should not be driven by what is happening now, but what will be happening in the future and the best thing I could do is hold tightly to integrity of character. Work hard each day but do not miss the chance to laugh and enjoy the moment. Understand the importance of perseverance but do not forget to take the time to rest. If I could go back I would remind myself that life is a blink of an eye and that every opportunity should be taken to work hard, enjoy people, and see that the world is bigger than myself.

The very first thing I would give my high school self advice about would be to stress the importance of doing your absolute best from the get go and getting a head start on college schooling. Considering how difficult it is now to get classes many times and it taking longer to fnish school now I would have gone to night school while i was in high school since classes were free. Originally being a psychology major then moving to nursing and discovering the extreme competitiveness I would tell my future self do not accept anything less than the best with grades it makes the world of difference and sets you above all others when applying to programs. I would also tell my high school self, do not stress about not knowing what to major in, learn, discover, find yourself and you will find your passion. And, always make school first, a social life is nice and fun, but your future depends more on your schooling than the outing you will have a million more opportunities to do later in life.

High school was a difficult time for me. I knew I would never be able to go to college unless something miraculous happened. I worked really hard to get good grades all the while thinking "why am I even trying so hard if I’m just going to end up a waitress or in some other dead-end job?" For years that really affected my outlook on life and made me pessimistic; it robbed me of my youth in what should have been my best years. Then I realized that feeling bad for yourself when you have so much more than some is no way to live. I focused on giving my life worth and I decided college or not, I would live my life to help people by working with abused children. If I could go back I would say "don't lose faith because a miracle will happen." I would tell myself to let go and just be a kid, keep trying your best in school, and to never lose your love for those less fortunate than yourself because the only thing that matters in life is whether or not you made a positive impact on this world.