California Baptist University

« See more reviews of California Baptist University

Everyone has heard the saying, "Live each day to its fullest" or "Carpe Diem!" And the reality is, it's true. Picking a college is one of the biggest decisions a student makes as he or she walks into the next phase of life. A decision will always effect some outcome, however, it's always the way one takes the outcome, the experience. The university I am attending at the moment was not my first choice, but I did not choose to sulk about my decision. I took life as it came at me. New people, new teachers, new school, away from home, a totally different feel. But I have no regrets. It does not matter to what extent of merits a school has, it matters to what degree of work one puts in. My daddy always told me, "When you're good, you're good. Wherever you go you will be able to stand." So, my advice is to take each day of life with joy regardless of the situation. I believe the "right college" is what one makes out of the college experience, not what college one chooses.

Don't sweat the small things. You're about to make the most life-changing decision. I know that things aren't going the way you wanted them to, but you have no idea what the next four years have in store for you. You didn't get in where you wanted to go, but trust me, CBU is not settling. You're going to make friendships and connections that will last a lifetime. Don't visit home so often, it will always be there. Get involved in campus activities; join clubs, go to events, be a part of the traditions. Visit your professors for office hours, they truly want to help you and you need them. Start researching soon, and don't wait until the last semester to take those pesky GE classes you're dreading. Communicate with your roommates, and look out for the people who are on the fringe. So many people around you are going to be struggling; try to notice the little ways you can make a difference. Soak up each and every moment, because it goes by even faster than you think.

Young Alexa, Be wise about the courses that you choose to take. Just because you are taking a college class doesn't mean it will count towards the degree that you want to get. Use your resources, talk to the academic advisors and tell them what you plan to do. If you don't have a plan take the time to really think about what you enjoy and what you are good at, and also consider what is happening with the economy. You don't want to graduate from college and then not be able to get and job and start paying your loans back. Don't be embarrassed to ask questions! There is no such thing as a stupid question. Spend your time and your money wisely, there will come a time when even entry-level jobs are hard to come by so don't take your employment and your money for granted. And Finally, be thankful that you have been blessed with a good family that will always support you in whatever way they can. Not everyone gets a family like yours. Good Luck, An older, wiser Alexa

If I was able to go back in time to when I was a high chool senior I would tell myself to try harder and really push myself in high school. It may not feel like it now, but good grades are equal money in college. As a student who is paying for my own eduaction, every dollar counts. I wish I had spent more hours tracking down scholarships and raising my GPA. I completely understand the feeling of senioritis (that I experienced even as a junior!). Common symptoms include, lack of study time, coming to class empty handed, ditching or leaving early, laying your head on the desk to "visualize" the lecture, and note passing. I experienced this all, and I know wish I had been in class more and going to my teachers for help. Now I reap the consequences, as debt and student loans pile up in front of me every semester. If I had truly applied myslef I would have earned the President's Scholarship and much more financial aid through my school and private orginizations!

I would tell myself to prioritize my time more wisely because college life is about prioritizing. II would tell my high school self to not leave homework at last minute, because college homework takes up more than one hour to complete. Making time for homework should be the first priority. Now that I am a college student, my homework takes a MINIMUM of 2-3 hours to complete if I spread my homework throughout the week. if I I would also tell myself to learn a strategy that works for myself when I study a subject. The tranistion of studying in college is really different from high school, because college courses contain more information to memorize than high school courses. I wish I would have applied to a lot more scholarships because I am already in debt with loans as a freshman. I would tell myself to apply to at least 5-10 scholarships a week in order to have a higher chance of getting some financial help from organization outside the college of my choice.

To little Jeana, At 17, you are younger than you feel an older than you seem. You have dreamed of university all your life and worked harder than anyone to have the perfect grades and perfect self to achieve that dream. And you will have that dream. You will go to a beautiful school and be adopted by the friends you've always wanted and educated by the teachers you hope to one day be. You will meet your best friend and you will have donuts every Christmas. You will meet your favorite nurse and have a cozy apartment. But right now, you're 17, being released from the hospital. You were refusing to eat. You were refusing to feel. You were alone. Little one, do not despair, your dreams still await you and no amount of self-hatred and neglect will keep you from them. You are so strong and so worthy of the work you've done for your education. It might not be as soon as you'd like, but you know that your best takes time. You deserve the best. Love, yourself.

Hello Brad, The first thing you need to know is that college life is a challenge, both socially and scholastically. Prepare for your classes by purchasing all class materials as soon as the syllabus becomes available. Seek the assistance of the guidance counselor in mapping out your entire college career. You are not much for partying, so take the opportunity to further your studies and perfect your craft as a student athlete. Create good study habits. Be attentive, stay focused, and follow instructions. Ask questions if you do not understand something. College is not rocket science, it is career and life preparation. Soak up the opportunity to learn new things from new people. Come out of your shell. Ask the hard questions. Engage conversation with those you don't seem to have anything in common with. Find yourself. Express yourself. It is ok to be you. Complete every task to the best of your ability, cutting no corners. Have fun! Dream big! Commit!

Going into college I was afraid of my surroundings the people and the idea of failure. I searched for a college where none of these concerns would be a problem. Unfortunately there was and is no such school. What I found that was invaluable in my school was the awareness of the staff and faculty and other students to all the concerns which I had. The idea that a school can see the needs and desires of its students is rare. So look for a college that truly desires to know its students and aid in their goals personally, academically, and spiritually (for me as a Christian). The growth of major should depend not on the growth of the student body but on the passion of the current studentsFinding a school where the focus is to alleviate the worries of the students in any way possible was truly the most beneficial thing to me. Focusing on finding a college that focuses on the students and not on its own prestige is what truly would make the most difference.

I will tell myself as a high school senior that college is harder than high school. I will tell myself to obtain good habits so that when I go to college it will not be hard for me to do well. In high school it was easy to depend on my teachers. In high school we have to ask teachers permission and explain. In college it us up to us to attend and no one will ask me anything. I will also tell myself that I should put more effort to get a high GPA and complete many scholarships. If I do this in high school, when I am in college I will not have to worry about getting money to pay for my education. I should keep in my mind that I should put effort to do well so I do not put a financial burden on my parents.Overall I would tell myself not to slack off in high school because I am the only one who will struggle in college and dragg my parents with me when it comes to paying for college. Good students get more money, in high school that should be my goal.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school there would be many things I would want to let her know. The first thing would be to not worry about making friends when you finally get to college. It seems a little ridiculous but that is one of the biggest fears all of my current friends had. I would assure my high school self that it would be nearly impossible to not make a friend. I think the next thing would be more of a warning to not get to overwhelmed, and really focus on the school work. It is very easy to get distracted in college. There is no one there telling you that you have to go to classes, or do the work, and while you will fail the course it doesn't seem as bad anymore because there isn't a parent yelling at you while holding a bad report card in your hand. I would encourage myself to do my best to remember that while there isn't as much pressure, I am still there for an education, and the fun can come second.