California Baptist University

« See more reviews of California Baptist University

Never take the back seat in your own life. Take control, seize every single day and live fully. Invest of yourself fully and never sell yourself short. In the words of Ron Swanson, which you'll learn about later, "never half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing". I don't know the meaning to life, but I know one of the biggest parts of leading a satisfying one is by cultivating meaningful relationships. The most important relationship of them all is the one with yourself, so be most patient with you. Stop being afraid of being yourself and embracing what you like whether that be Crocs, beans, or girls. I know it's scary, but mom and dad will eventually learn to deal with it. Learn to love yourself completely so you won't feel the need to pawn that responsibility off on someone else. Remember, you're a freaking A1 catch, so treat yourself like it. And don't trust the girl whose eyes grow nervous when you ask her serious questions. She's lying.

The advice I would give them when seeking a college is to know what the child wants to do as a career. They should also have the idea for what type of school experience they want. I mean do they want a private or public univeisty, secular or religious. Then to make the most of the experience I would tell the students to live on campus. To expecially live in the dorms. I made my best friends there and the time I spent in my dorm was exciting. I would also say to stay on campus during the weekends becase that is when you actually have time to hangout and talk with people. Another thing I would tell the students is not to be afraid of taliking to there professors. The proffessors are there to help them and will give good adviece. The parents need to learn that their child has grown and to trtust they will make the right decision. By encouaging the student and hopeing they make the right choice the parenet makes the expeirnece so much better.

It's good to have goals to keep you focused, but don't be so tunnel-visioned that you miss the doors opening right and left along the way! You may find a different path you had never thought of taking. Yes, that time you made a hasty decision to fly off and live in Mexico for six months just because you couldn't find a way to get to China might have felt like a mistake at the time, but you ultimately learned some incredible life lessons. Yes, you casually submitted an application to a private university, got accepted and decided to attend the spring semester six weeks later and now feel like you're in a tornado of emails and phone calls and financial aid and scholarship applications and auditions and interviews and it feels like you're making one of the craziest mistakes in your entire 21 years on this earth and...it's worth it. Or it will be. Ride the wave! In a few years you'll look back and realize it wasn't all so hard as it seemed.

Knowing what I am capable of now, I would tell myself never to give up. Taking breaks is a complete waste of time, because your friends who choose not to go to college: will not be on the same path as you even one year down the line. It is also very important to listen to your parents and teachers, even if it seems as if they don't know what they are talking about. Being seventeen will fly by, just like the next four years of your life will in college. Remember how quick high school was? Imagine that times ten. Working, going to school full time, and maintaining some what of a social life is going to be diffucult but it will not last forever. College is going to be some of the most difficult, but rewarding years of your life. Take the bull by the horns, bite the bullet, and you can get it done in a flash. There is going to be no greater feeling than being finished, holding your diploma, looking to your family and realizing YOU did it.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself two key things: stop caring so much about what people think about you and to get involved as much as you can when you get to college. Having grown up in a town of upper-middle class to wealthy people, I was very much concerned with how I talked, dressed and what car I drove. I knew who I was as a person, but was so caught up in trying to impress those around me. Now that I am in college, I would return and tell myself that those material things do not matter; just be exactly who you want to be and people will accept you for the way you are. If they do no accept you, then you do not need those people in your life. Getting involved in college is one of the best things I have ever done. It has brought me many friends and experiences that I wouldn't have outside of those activities. I would also want to tell myself how important getting involved is.

If I could go back in time to senior year, I would tell myself to apply for as many schools as possible. Give yourself options and variety in the schools you get to choose from. Just enjoy yourself, because after graduation nothing about high school really matters anymore. Nobody cares what you got on your SAT or what your gpa was, it is all in the past and there is a fresh start to reinvent yourself. Go into college being open minded and talk to everyone, because you need people to keep you sane and focused at the same time. Have fun, but stay on top of your school work as well, it is the most important thing at the end of the day. This is the most cliche saying that everyone says, but it is true, these are the best years of a young persons life, so enjoy them. Go out and be adventorous and do things you have never done before, because before you know it, you'll be put into the real world trying to find and job and start your life.

Looking back on where I was my senior year, and having now spent three years in college, I can say that there has been substantial knowledged gained. Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself all the advice that I have learned about college life and making the transition. I would tell myself that it is acceptable to be unsure about what direction in life I want to choose and that I should not let my fear of the unknown rule over me. I would definitely advise myself to dare to dream of possibilities outside of what I feel is expected of me and even what I have already assumed is best. I would assure myself that even though it is hard, to boldly ask all the questions I can think to ask and thusly set myself up to be prepared and knowledable. Finally I would advise myself to diligently focus on finding sufficient study habits that fit my learning style and capabilities.

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self i would say to prepare myself for alot of new things that I was definitely was not used to. I would say to not be afraid of venturing out and trying new things because getting involved my first semester really made things alot easier and enjoyable for me. Also, I would say not to be so shy about talking to new people and to not be afraid to make new friends. The one time I overcame my shyness I ended making really good friends who I know will be my lifelong friends. I would also say to myself, do not procastinate on projects, homework, studying, ANYTHING. It can really pile up and can cause great, unwanted stress that I didn't need, so plan out your homework schedule, along with major tests and quizzes. Lastly, I would just say to enjoy it. My first semester went really fast but it was a time I'll never forget and I am glad that I had the opportunity to experience it.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, Im not sure if I would say anything. The tings that I experienced in between my senior year and this year made me grow into the person I am now. I learned, the hard way, that college is not the time to chill out and let the future worry about itself. In high school I know that I should have taken that extra AP class and studied harder for the SAT, but because I didn't, I know the importance of scholastic perseverance. College is hard but it is worth learning how to be an adult and how deal with situations. If I told my 18 year old self that I should save more money and that I should make more time with my family because I am going to lose one of them, I would never have learned how to be financially responsible or how to cope with a loss. The past already happened, so all we can do is learn from it, and enjoy our present time because we are not guaranteed tomorrow.

If I could go back in time and give advice to my high school self about college, I would tell myself to not reject the pricier schools in the area because my current university (which is close to where I lived during high school) is worth every penny. I would then tell myself to be ready to pay for school without any help from family. It is important to learn to be self-sufficient and be ready in case the bottom drops out again. It would also be important to tell my younger self that there is such a thing as too much studying. Overexamining material can lead to unnecessary stress and will actually hinder the learning process. Stress relief and healthy self-care habits are necessary to be able to retain information. Lastly, I would tell myself to save money as much as possible. My family cannot help me pay for anything, and I wish I had saved more money while I was only working and not going to school in my early twenties.