California Baptist University

« See more reviews of California Baptist University

The advice I would give to myself as a high school senior would be to consider the classes that I was taking in high school and how it would relate to the major I wanted to study as some of them could potetnially prepare you for college. For example, instead of taking Advanced Placement Biology, I should of taken Physics as that would of prepared me more for my Civil Engineering major courses. Another piece of advice I would give myself would be to apply to more scholarships as a senior in high school because it was easier to apply and there was a readily available counselor willing to give out scholarship applications almost every week. I would also say to take advantage of every opportunity and event as a high school senior because those opportunities are not neccessarily the same and could of contributed to more experience in my life. The last year of high school is a vital time when preparing for college.

In order for one to succeed in college he or she must prepare for the grueling task at hand. On the practical side of things, one must learn to do laundry, construct extremely basic food dishes, practice getting minimal amounts of sleep, perform basic cleaning operations, and etcetera. Besides being without one's mother, a new college student must be prepared to work hard. High school is a breeze compared to the conditions of college. Highschool is similar to juggling one ball in contrast to college where one must juggle seven objects, namely razor-sharp knives. However, college is not just four years of pure study and a lack of sleep. One must prepare for the extraordinary aquaintances he or she will make over those four or so years. Do NOT be afraid to make new friends. It is these friends that will influence the rest of one's life. Ultimately, however, one must be ready to be catapulted into a new life.

I would tell my past self not to be intimidated by college. I would tell myself to let go of my feelings of inferiority and go for it. I would tell that shy, self-conscious girl that college is a place that she will thrive and grow to become the best version of herself. I would tell myself that it will be scary, but I have all that it takes to shine and achieve greatness inside of me, that I just need to find the right school and the right people to help me reach my goals. i would tell myself that I can do it, to trust myself, my abilities, and my intelligence. I would hug myself and tell myself that there are people in the world that valiue education as much as I do, I just have to step outside of my comfort zone and find them. I would tell myself not to wait until I was twenty-six to go to school. I would tell myself that anything is possible if you have belief in yourself, a good support system, and God.

If I could go back and tell my highschool self something, I would certainly say to not spend my money so foolishly. College isn't cheap. I would have saved every penny I got or made. I would have told myslef to learn better study habits. I was in avid so I got time mangement and neat skills down, but I now need to learn to study better. Also, I would tell my highschool slef not to sweat, college isn't sacry just like highschool, but you are paying for it. You have to take lots of notes and good ones. I would also say wear a watch so that way you can get to your classes on time and no miss any. You need to learn your college campus too. Even though people may help you find bulidings, your and adult so you are on your own. Lastly, I would say have fun and don't stress and just try and college is fun its another road in your life you will breeze through if you just follow what you know and get good grades.

If I could go back in time and have a second chance to redo the time it took to transition from high school to being a freshman I would do it. All throughout high school, my work ethics was just above the minimal that was acquired from me, because the work came easy to me. Because I did not put my best effort into most of my work, I struggled for a while, but what I know realize is that putting my best effort into even the smallest things would have made me a better student. Even though I still graduated in the top twenty-five percent of a class more than four hundred students I could have succeeded a lot further then where I was and made myself better prepared for college. If I would have done my best in high school the transition from there and into college would not have been a struggle. Every person should always give their best know matter how small or great the work is.

For me, College has been a tremendous learning experience. Academically, I have studied philosophy, psychology, sociology, communications and writing. Socially, I have learned how to be part of a community, how to make friends for life, how to be patient, and how to love. I have read hundreds of books and attended thousands of lectures, but the single most important lesson I learned in college was not found in the library or the lecture Hall. The single greatest lesson I have gotten out of my college experience is that I can do anything I put my mind to. College has taught me to forget the word can’t. With the right attitude and with the right determination, I can pass any test, learn how to do any thing, and achieve any goal. This attitude has been by far the most important, valuable, and enduring thing I have taken from college. Without it, my life would not look the same.

Apply for scholarships early. Many take 6 months to be given and you don't want to realize later that you missed many scholarships that could have been a great help. When you're actually in college, put your alarm clock a good distance from your bed, because getting out of bed is a good start for actually getting up. Find out exactly where your classes will be at least a day before class: finding those classroom may take longer than you expect. Make sure you get some regular form of exercise, especially if you eat at the cafeteria. The freshman fifteen is no myth. If you can, consider doing homework soon after your classes; the concepts are fresh in your mind, and when you're done, you will probably feel relieved to have the rest of the day free. And don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of people ready to help so there is no need to struggle alone.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself as a high school senior to take your work seriousy and to keep your GPA up by maintaining good grades. By doing this, you can ensure that you will be accepted into a good college while eliminating the extra classes and work load you would have to do when attending a community college. You will also be introduced to scholarships and grants in order to help you pay for your tuition, which you will find exteremely beneficial when trying to attend school full time. Creating a goal for your future career will put you on a straight and narrow track enabling you to take the specific classes you need and move you in the right direction. Once you begin your college classes, keep attending and be consistent with your schedule as little breaks can lead to a fall back in your education.

I would tell them that the student needs to make the final decision on their own. It is important for a student to find their "own" place at a school or university; I feel it is the worst thing you can do as a parent when it comes this situation is to force your child to go somewhere only becuase you have personal ties to it, and my parents aren't like that. College should prepare students for their future not only in the classroom but in your housing areas, campus activities, and other areas of involvement. If you step onto a college campus as a student and feel like you don't belong there chances are you might not, go with your gut when choosing a school. There might not be one perfect place for everyone but you will get a feeling inside that screams 'I want to be here more than aywhere else' when you find the right place, don't be affraid of that feeling!

Knowing what I now know about college, I would tell myself not to be scared of these exciting changes and that working your butt off to apply for all the sholarships you can get your greedy little hands on will pay off. While the constant, repetitive, and generic essays may seem quite pedantic and meticulous the award of even "small" portions of college tuition will be worthwhile, as the repayment of student loans requires the borrower to pay back this money with interest. Therefore, any payment taken off of tuition will be time and energy well spent. Think of it this way: even if you spend ten hours on a $500 scholarship essay that's still $50/hour which is far more than any high school student can expect to make bfore pursuing an education. I'd tell myself to try my hardest and that things will get easier and less stressful in time. Good luck old me!