California Lutheran University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California Lutheran University

Phung

Cal Lu is a great commuting school. That being said you don't really get parties or college town experience. The science and math professors are amazing, they normally do a good job at the new hires. The food at Ullmans is a hit or miss, sometimes you can get sick from it and other times the food is excellent.

Abbigael

Cal Lutheran may be small in size, but it's heart is big. I was surprised as a freshman walking onto campus to find that students were wiling to help and welcome you in. Students, and faculty alike, are heart warming people who encouraging each other to be the best they can be. A huge reason many students go to this school is that fact they the community feels more like a family and the gracious academic scholarships given to each student. This school's resources are plentiful and are always available. Cal Lutheran may be focused primarily on academics. but the school does encourage students to participate in sports programs and get involved in school events. The school takes pride in being a diverse campus who promotes students to find what their purpose is. I am proud to say that I am apart of that. I am proud to go here because they truly are diverse not only in the students, but in their faculty, religions, and opportunities given. The school does what it can to help make everyone comfortable and feel secure.

Leina

CLU is small, yet familiar and tight-knit. Even if you don't know everyone out of the 4,000 students who attend, you're bound to see a face you've seen before on campus every single day! The teachers address you by name, and you're not considered to be merely a number. The food facilities, which include Starbucks and Jamba Juice, are absolutely amazing and I always order my usual Pomegranate Paradise smoothie. The library, although not as huge as the library at CSUCI, is large and welcoming. I can be alone, yet surrounded by the company of fellow students at the same time.

Frank

I have only been at California Lutheran University for a little over a semester, but I must say that being here is a tremendous blessing. Here at Cal Lu academics is the main focus here. With small classes, and very helpful teachers, they will point you into the right direction. Also being a football players, their love for sports here goes beyond any school I have ever intended. I can't to start the next three years here!

Valerie

I really love it here. The campus is gorgeous, and small enough that it's easy to make and keep friends. Overall the atmosphere is very friendly and non-competitive, though of course there is always a push to improve yourself. Additionally, this is a dry campus with no greek life, so there are no parties on campus and no one here is attending for the purpose of wild college parties. I would highly recommend this college if you are interested in close-knit groups and learning without too much stress or distractions.

JaNarie

Cal Lutheran is a school with a great student graduation rate, programs that match current students with alumni and the alumni becomes a catalyst in these students careers. Cal Lu is a safe space and you are encouraged by your professor to do what ever it is you wanted to do, even if its two majors or 3 different careers, Cal Lu will help you plan it out. We also have a lot of events for the commuters and for the residents to partake in and mingle. Overall, Cal Lu is the best choice I made to plan my career out.

Kaitlyn

Overall, this college is great. Most, if not all, of the students are very studious. this heavily influences the atmosphere found on campus. There are no parties on campus as we do have a dry campus. This greatly helps with studying as there is no obnoxiously loud sounds coming from adjoining rooms. There are also many clubs for students to join. The main issue with Cal Lu is that it is mainly a commuter school. Over the weekends, the campus is dead; there is hardly anyone on campus.

Kaitlyn

Karin

N/A

Kaija

California Lutheran University has a good environment for learning and participating in extra curricular activities. I feel like CLU does a good job of aiding to the needs of the students and making sure that everyone is comfortable in class and outside of class. There are so many opportunities that Cal Lutheran provides from sports to arts to politics and is a place for everyone. The professors are always available to help and talk one and one. On campus, there is always something to do and always people to talk to.

Jordan

This smaller University is perfect for students who want to have fun and a great study environment. Everyone motivates one another through their academics, hardships, and extracurriculars. Less students open more possibilities to research opportunities, club officers positions, and other important roles in our society. Lots of time to engage with colleagues, friends, and professors. Rooms are spacy. Food is healthy and delicious. Campus is beautiful. They make life becomes meaningful.

Jack

California Lutheran is, overall, a fantastic university when it comes to academics and community. The class sizes are very small, and this allows the professors to be very personal with each student. this also makes the professors very accessible to students as well, with little to no competition for a professor's time. Every professor I've had so far has been knowledgeable and helpful. There other great aspects to CLU that have always stood out. The community is very supportive and inclusive, although the town the school is in, Thousand Oaks, is rather quiet. This can lead to fairly quiet weekends with a seemingly empty campus, which I don't enjoy, being an extrovert. There are often parties every weekend, but only one or two, and they can be a bit exclusive at times. The other downside of this small private school is the lack of spirit for our sports teams, with only a select few drawing decent crowds. But that is not too surprising to me, given that the school is chosen mostly for its academic quality, not the athletic side of things. And those who do attend games and events do so fervently, which creates a fun niche group to be a part of at times. But when comparing these two disappointing facets to the vast amount of positives Cal Lutheran offers, they are really no significant bother. The small population affords each student a wealth of resources at their disposal. Dorm rooms are very spacious and foster a lot of fun connections between the people in a particular hall, even at the freshman level. And then the location itself, despite being a smaller town, is in close proximity to a number of great places to visit and explore, like L.A in one direction and Ventura in the other, and the litany of beaches in between. When considering every aspect of life at a university, CLU creates so many great experiences, and I'm looking forward to many more.

amber

The overall environment on campus is welcoming. Being a small private institution, our class sizes are relatively small which encourages more engagement between faculty and students. I enjoy having the luxury to be known by my professors instead of seen as a random number in a large class.

Alexandra

Overall, I have really enjoyed my time here at California Lutheran University. As a member of the soccer team, it can be challenging to balance academics and sports, but the all of the professors make a great effort to accommodate my schedule and always let me make up any work that I miss. Most importantly, they are always available to any student who needs help, whether it is for a homework assignment or getting extra help studying for a test. Although I have only been here for a little over 3 months, I have found myself really enjoying the calm atmosphere and I always feel safe, even at night.

Teigan

It's a small school in the suburbs of Southern California. Not a whole lot goes on right in town but there's so much to do just outside of the city that it's in. Whether it's the beach, Los Angeles, Hollywood, Santa Monica, the mountains, or anything really, it's all really close and easily accessible which makes it fun. I had a much higher GPA than the average admittance GPA but I still feel thoroughly challenged and occupied. The professors are for the most part really awesome and the small class size is so beneficial to optimum learning.

Nayeli

I love this school. It is very accessible to talk to professors and if you aren't clear of something that the professor mention. You can go to office hours and ask all the questions you have professor will not hesitate to help you. Even if they don't have office hours when you want to met you can make an appointment to speak with them. If you didn't do so well in a test or quiz professor will and also everyone is very welcoming. Student orientation is very helpful to students and very welcoming to families. There's so many event that are family friendly and staff at this school are very nice and really care about there students.

Nyle Caitlynne

Overall, I think California Lutheran University is a safe, friendly, and extremely welcoming school. As a student, there are a lot of resources to turn to in order to aid your college stay -- whether it be your professors, the library, housing, health services, etc. , CLU wants you to succeed and offers you ways to do it. In my perspective, that's what makes the tuition worth it, but admittedly, it is still very heavy on your wallet when it comes down to it. It's up to you to weigh the pros and cons as well what you need during your college stay. If you want a school to cater to you, CLU might be your college.

Ilse

It is a great place to learn, grow and really focus on getting an education while having fun with extracurricular activities. By being in a smaller setting it is much easier to make connections with peers, professors, staff and others. It is also a very welcoming environment with many resources for students to accommodate, learn, travel and much more.

Shakesha

Great campus culture, your academic experience is what you make it. The professors are always available and you get a real sense of support that they want to see you complete the journey and get the degree. I would recommend Cal Lu to any prospect in state or out of state.

Celina

Great school! Just started Grad school but love it already.

Angelina

I have visited California Lutheran University three times and each time I went there seemed to be something new to discover and fall in love with. I was between this school and another for my college education but after being a part of an overnight program they invited me to, I knew it was the school for me. Through the program, I got to stay in the school dorms and explore the campus like never before. Everyone was super friendly and I got to know some of my future classmates, which was great.

Nina

California Lutheran University is a great campus. Their academics are great and tend to the students' fields of study. California Lutheran University is an open and inviting campus. They make sure that every student feels welcomed and represented on and off campus.

Jakar

Honestly, I can't complain about Cal Lutheran. I love this school. The campus is in a beautiful, safe area in Thousand Oaks. While there is not a lot to do in Thousand Oaks besides eat and shop with places such as The Oaks Mall, Thousand Oaks is at the center of many areas of adventure such as Ventura, Los Angeles, Northridge, and Santa Monica. When in high school, I prayed that I would get everything I asked for in a university. Here is how I fell in love with California Lutheran University. Safe area - Thousand Oaks is in one of the safest areas of Southern California. It is very nice and kept up. Community - The community in and around Cal Lutheran is great. Everyone is nice as well as caring. Close to home - I live in West Covina, CA and being able to visit family was huge for me. Thousand Oaks is about a two hour drive so it is not very far. Athletics - Cal Lutheran is a NCAA Division-III university. I am blessed to say that I am able to play for the school. Academics - A good balance of academics was needed for me to excel. The courses here are good and class sizes are small. Religion - I am a Christian, and I wanted to make sure that I could keep my faith.

Keely

It is a wonderful school. The students are always involved in events and activities on campus and are passionate about their academic success. The teachers are also very friendly and care about their students. The party scene is mostly outside of school because it is a dry campus, and there is no greek life but many clubs/organizations to become a part of.

Georgia

Since California Lutheran University is a private university, the campus and the community is smaller. However, class sizes are very nice and the professors are usually always available to assist a student with any concerns they may have. The music ensembles could be more advanced and challenging, and it would be amazing if the school could offer a Popular Voice program or a Jazz Voice program, instead of just offering classical voice and musical theatre voice.

Joelle

California Lutheran University is a small Division III liberal arts school 30 minutes north of Los Angeles. The weather is always pleasant, and so are the professors. Class sizes are no more than 40 students, and a professor is always accessible through email and office hours. On-campus housing is usually pretty nice-the only downside is the extremely thin walls. The RA's are super friendly and are always around to help if you need it. The meal plan works at both Starbucks and Jamba Juice, as well as the cafeteria and cafe (there aren't many vegan/vegetarian options but I can still make it work, so can you!) Most students commute, however, many live on campus, just be prepared for quieter weekends.

David

Both the staff and the vast majority of the students are friendly, the class sizes are small and the professors, most of them with a Ph.D., are always available and most of them genuinely wish to see you succeed. There are also good resources such as a free clinic, career services, free student therapy, campus jobs, a 4-year finish program and a very popular study abroad program. However, the administration goes through constant changes, (moving office locations and changing contacts) and most offices like student accounts and financial aid are only open around the same time as daytime classes. The school also chooses to admit more and more students, while turning down students who apply for off-campus housing, causing many students to have 5 people in a room designed for four and having some students live in "on-campus" hotels, requiring a short commute. The food is good at first, but the lack of variation gets old, but this is an obligation to eat their food since they charge you an outrageous amount of money for their meal plans that are basically mandatory for the first 1-2 years. The dining hours are also limited with few campus options for a late-night snack. Academically, the classes offered in some majors are limited, and some semester schedule all upper division electives in one department at the same time. Some professors encourage diversity in thinking (which there is quite a bit of on campus) but other professors simply wish to hear their opinions regurgitated. Plus every year the financial aid office throws some type of bureaucratic curveball at me, once putting me on hold and having me register for classes 3 days late as they waited for them to process a loan which I had taken out. A loan only necessary in the first place because they took a grant off of my award letter due to a technical issue. Some of these problems would seem minor, but with the amount of money required to attend this institution you could get 3 bachelor's degrees at a public school with an education of the same quality.

Taryn

I am very happy with my decision to come to Cal Lutheran. I feel that the campus is safe and I am able to express myself in a variety of ways. I think that the professors are kind and want us to be successful so I feel comfortable going in for additional help. Overall, I think Cal Lutheran was the best choice for me in all aspects of both academic and social experiences.

Bianca

I really love this school.The second I walked on our beautiful campus, it felt like home, but I won't deny that there are areas to improve upon. I have found like areas of study such as music, dance, and drama don't get enough love on campus and seem to be lacking in funding when compared to other majors on campus. The food on campus has it's good days and it's bad ones, but needless to say, it's not the worst thing I've ever had. The classes are great. There wasn't a single professor that I haven't liked and the smaller classroom sizes make you feel like you always have a voice and your professors are more easily able to help you and get to know you. Overall, Cal Lutheran is a great school, and I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

Isaac

California Lutheran University is a good school that has good academics. If you want to have a fun and exciting college experience, you will not find it here as it is a small and dry campus. It is not boring all the time as there are parties on the weekends and cool people to hang out with. The academics are challenging , but there are classes that are really easy and classes that are impossible to pass without a curve. There are lots of places to eat outside of campus, but the cafe is okay. It can be bland after a couple of months. There are other places to eat but they don't have much options like the cafeteria. Overall, it is an okay school, and if you have to pay a lot of out of pocket to attend, it is not worth it.

Matthew

I think CLU is a really great school. Personally it took about a month to get used to the smaller population, but its nice going to a place where you see familiar faces every time you go out instead of just being surrounded by strangers. The curriculum is not too challenging, however it is not easy either. It is nice being able to contact professors and other faculty members very easily. Campus life is very social with different events happening every day as well as on the weekends. From my personal experience, intramural sports are very popular and there is a large amount of students who participate. Overall I think Cal Lutheran is very comfortable and safe.

Carlie

I loved everything about the school including the campus and location. The fact that each dorm room has their own bathroom was a very big factor in my decision. Also the study abroad programs, specifically the cruise and two to three week tour of the country was very important. I am very excited to attend in the fall.

Matthew

Cal Lutheran is a very liberal influenced campus. However, no one's ideas or thoughts are every shot down. Every person that I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking to is very open to different opinions, and intelligent discussions and conversations can be held in the comfort of your own dorm room or lounges. The campus is beautiful and most of the professor are easy to get along with and encourage active discussion in the classroom. Some of the adjunct professors are a bit less than desired, but it only takes one semester to flush the really bad ones out. Overall great campus, great people, and great university.

Sarina

Love the people and the staff, but sometimes I feel like there needs to be more guidance for post grad options.

Andre

California Lutheran University was great school. The reason I chose it was for the small classroom sizes. Your professors were very accessible since there aren't as many students trying to get to them. I have heard from other students from other big universities that they would sometimes only speak with a teacher's assistant but here, you are assured to speak with the professor directly.

Iliana

I have had an amazing experience at Cal Lutheran. The staff is incredible! They answer emails, give you their cell phone to text when needed - this is my third institution of higher learning, and so far, it is ranking at the top. I am pleased to know that my tuition is well-spent here.