California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo Top Questions

It was difficult to to register for classes. Since the university was relatively small, classes filled up fast so students would have to wait till next quarter. Planning future clsses was key to graduating in a timely manner.

The food was not good and I could not eat much because I am gluten free

Our school is very impacted and classes are extremely hard to get.

The difficult assignments.

Nancy

The most frustrating thing about my school in my opinion is considered the worst thing in my school. It is the whole major thing that is really annoying. Every singler somone will ask, "what is your major?" before they even ask for you name. And when what you study is more important than who you are, that is not ok.

The most frustrating thing about Cal Poly is trying to change your major. It is a process you have to devote a lot of time and effort into. This makes it difficult for student who are not financially well off because changing your major can add an extra quarter or two until you graduate. Some of Cal Poly's majors only accept a certain number of students who want to switch into a particular major. Whearas other majors require three quarters worth of classes before turning in the application.

The quarter system moves very quickly and it is sometimes difficult to adjust the the fast pased nature.

How all of the new classroom-type buildings are for the Engineering departments.

The most frustrating thing about my school is how difficult it is to register for classes. Graduating on time can be difficult when you cannot get the classes that you need.

University Housing says everything is a "fire-hazard."

Due to budget cuts there are not enough classes being offered, so many people find that they can't graduate on time, or they cannot create a schedule that works well for their lives.

Mandy

It is hard for me to say what is most frusterating, because it is hard to imagine what I could possibly need to change at this amazing school. However, because it is so amazing, so many students want to come here! Our classes are extremely impacted and it is often hard to get the classes that I need.

Danica

The expense, definitely. Not only the fact that everything here seems to be so overpriced, but also because on top of that many classes are being cut and our lectures and labs are being furloughed because of the budget crisis. It is not fair, sometimes I feel as though I am being cheated out of my education. I try so hard to put as much of the expenses on myself rather than on my parents, but is difficult when work is hard to find and supplies needed to succeed are so costly.

As freshmen, we have a choice of living in dorms, apartments on-campus, or apartments off-campus. When you live on campus as a freshman, you are required to have a dining plan. There are required dining credits that limit you to 3 dining places on campus. The food isn't that great, but you get used to it, especially when you have no other choice. It's a good thing that we also have Plu$ Dollars so we can eat at other eatery choices on campus, which taste better.

Adriana

Since the budget cuts of California it has become even more difficult to get the classes that are needed, but that is becoming true for all California State Universities. It does appear that they are trying to combat this problem, but this is making the school even more pushy in regards to students finishing as soon as possible.

The most frustrating thing is registering for classes, and when a class you need is already filled.

Dianna

Prices! Textbooks are way too expensive and so is food or anything else bought on campus!

To be honest, the meal plan that is required is the most frustrating part. It's expensive to the point of being a rip-off, and is also horrifyingly unhealthy. Finding a balance between spending one's money wisely and eating healthily is almost impossible.

The most frustrating problem with my college has to be getting the classes I need to graduate on time. Most people at my college tend to head toward the 5 year route which poses a problem because financial aid stops helping out after your fourth year. It's nice that the classes are small, but it is frustrating when they continue to have small classes and they cut sections out so it is much more difficult to get classes. Part of the problem is not the school's fault, but the budget cuts imposed by the state of California.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the difficulty of getting classes. With the budget cuts, Cal Poly finds itself raising tuititon while cutting classes. By doing this, it is much more difficult to get classes and stay on the 4 year plan. This, along with furlough days, means that as a student you must affectively study indepently from your teacher to learn the material at a pace that keeps up with the class.

torie

not enough diversity

The most frustrating thing about Cal Poly for me is the work load. When I came here I was thrown into classes that I didn't know a thing about and which put me at a disadvantage. It has been a struggle for me when it came to certain classes and being expected know everything taught in less than 10 weeks. I knew biomedical engineering was going to be a tough major for me but if I keep trying I know I will not regret my choices.

matthew

people are somewhat closed minded

Aubrey

Parking can be frustrating during popular class times and the student advising center does not always give you the information you were looking for.

Rosalia

Registering for classes is the most frustrating thing about Cal Poly. Many general education and some upper level classes are impacted so it can be very difficult to get the classes a student needs to stay on tract with his or her graduation plan to graduate in four or five years. Thus some students, such as myself have had to enroll in online classes at community colleges to stay on tract. Many students find themselves spending five or even six years here becuase of impacted classes or because they love the environment so much.

The financial aid department and most administrative processes. The fact that you have to declare a major and at no point in time can be undeclared (hard to change major)

The inability to get the classes you need at the right time you need them.

Cynthia

Not being able to get all the classes you want all the time.

Melody

How far away it is form my family

Chandra

The limited availability of classes.

The most frustrating thing about Cal Poly is the registration system. It is based on a rotation schedule, assigning different registration times to different groups, determined by last name. Because classes are so small, students may find themselves in a position where it is impossible to enroll in a class, and instead depend on waitlisting for several in the hopes of eventually being able to enroll. This creates a decent amount of stress and frustration for the student.

The most frustrating thing about my school is when counselors and advisors don't have a clue as to what you are talking about, and they give you the run around before you get an answer.

Grant

Nothing is really that frustrating about my school.

Probably the most frustrating thing about Cal Poly is the parking situation. It's hard to find parking, especially close to classes, but really, I don't have many other complaints. It's a great school.

I lived in the business dorm, which is a freak-dorm filled with many well-off families. Not all of Cal Poly is this way; however, and it took me a while to figure this out. I'd recommend the dorms that are not set by major. It would have given me a broader prospective of the diversity on campus.