Pomona, CA
California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

David

Generally motivated much like myself. All attmepting to obtain classes, and all working to achieve the grades necessary to pass. There is a lot of teamwork, and group work among classmates as well.

One important thing I would first tell myself is find something you have the most interest in and the most passion for, and find a way to achieve an education in that subject. Do what you love, and don't worry about the cost associated with learning more about the subject. Money can be obtained through financial aid, and there are always opportunities on most campuses. Secondly, become involved in campus life. Being well acquainted with fellow classmates and professors can set you on the right track to develop meaningful contacts later in life when they will be quite handy. Thirdly, you will only get out what you put in. When you've figured out what you want to study, take it seriously, and strive to learn as much as possible, and keep in mind that professors' office hours can be very helpful. In the end, nobody can tell you what is best for you. You know what's best for you, but above all else do what you love, and have fun.

The best thing about my school would most certainly have to be the hands on, polytechnic, approach that the school takes to teaching a variety of different subjects.

As a high school senior, I thought I knew everything and could handle anything. I appreciate my youthful confidence, but it got shaken when I entered college because I was surprised about how difficult the life transition was. I think I would've told myself to hold steady and not let myself falter because of trivial worries or stresses. I've always done well for myself,and know I always will. It takes work to succeed, but as long you as enjoy it (by not stressing about it) you'll be fine. College is the perfect blend of work and play; a time like no other in life when you're work is supposed to always be play.

When I first entered college, I wish I knew that it was OK to change paths and that the transformations in my interests and areas of study are a part of my growth and shaping my career path. I wish I didn't worry so much about where I was going -- the end goal -- because I missed some of the lessons along the way. College opens you to so many opportunities that should be soaked in and enjoyed.

When I tell friends about my school, I tell them about the SU motto Scholarship in Action, which blends theory and practice giving students extremely valuable experience. My undergrad, Cal Poly Pomona, enforced the same value and it is beneficial for students to practice their studies from books and in practice.

Madelon

If I could go back in time and talk to myself about college, I would advise myself that I am choosing the right major and the right college. I would also advise myself to apply for more scholarships to help save money on tuition. I would also advise myself to relax, and know that grades are not as important as I think they are. I would tell myself to spend more time with my friends because once college starts, its going to be hard for us to get together once school starts because we will be so far apart. I would explain that grades are important, but spending time with friends and family while I still have the chance is what matters most.

Misha

interesting, and friendly

interesting, and friendly

Stick with it. it's super hard and not always very fun, but theres a lot of fun stuff in there too that makes it all worth it. as you get older everything will start to make a lot more sense.

the landscaping drives me nuts. it's tacky, undermanaged, and things are left half done all the time.

Alicia

gorgeous campus, small classes, student centered and great hands on training.

gorgeous campus, small classes, student centered and great hands on training.

If I could tell my high school self a few things before college this would be exactly what I would say: don?t sit back. In college you don?t meet people because you sit next to them for a year. Every few months your classes change, and weather there are hundreds of people or only fifteen in your class you won?t meet them by sitting back. You need these people. Study groups, borrowing notes, even asking when the midterm is, you will need all of this, and these people have it. Also don?t sit back when it comes to clubs and organizations. In any college you get out what you put in, so put in the effort, and in the end, it won?t feel like an effort at all. Getting involved will get you the best experience, no matter who you are. What does all of this have in common? People. Friends are what you will remember from college, they are what make it fun, they help you make it through. College is much faster paced than high school. Everything in moderation, even moderation, you need to go crazy sometimes, to keep from going crazy.

the lack of school spirit. Because it is a 'comuter campus' a lot of students just go, take their classes, and go home without ever getting involved.

Constance

I would tell them to make suer you do all the research you can. Also if given the opportunity make sure you visit you top 3 choices.

I wish I would have known about the surroundings of this school. There are not many places to go within walking distance.

That there is nothing around it and the fact that everything closes on the weekends.

Farah

Take your time and find the school that best fits you!! names arent all that important

the library. because its brand new

Matthew

I would say to visit the college and the people, get to know the surrounding. Also know what the college offers, for example classes, activities, clubs and other social and career based opportunities. When in college, stay focused on your school work and work hard but at the same time get invovled by joining a club or greek life. Making life long friends and networking are very important in college.

I wish I knew how hard the curiculum was and that the school was on a quarter system. It is very different from high school because i have to learn the same amount of material in a shorter amount of time which makes it seem to go by a lot faster.

The worst thing about my school is that it can get dead very quickly. It is a commuter school so students usually go to class and go back home. There's not alot of activities going on unless you get involved with a club or fraternity/sorority.

Kelly

There is a great amount of diversity here.

There is a great amount of diversity here.

When selecting your school, be very aware of the availability of courses offered. A school may reportedly have a wide variety of classes, but lack of funding may hinder students from placing into their desired classes, which also has a tendency of prolonging the road to graduation. It would also be prudent to choose a school that has strength in the program or major the student wishes to pursue, regardless of its general reputation. Another aspect to look into is the mix of clubs and organizations available. These tend to be the best way to socialize and mingle with others. An obvious factor of school selection is personal affordability. Financial aid tends to be offered in smaller amounts than desired or expected, and scholarships are either very much competed for or are fairly scarce. One wouldn't want to cost himself an arm and a leg just to end up being dissatisfied with the education and experience they are paying for. An essential part of the selection process is campus visiting and touring so that the student gets a good feel of each school. Finally, don't just base selection by school reputation. Lesser known schools are just as promising.

There is a very limited availability of classes. This causes most of the undergraduate students to be incapable of graduating in 4 years.

Alyssa

I feel that the most important part of the college experience comes in the beginning when you are selecting the college. Be sure to research and compare various univerisities, and ensure that their values, and academic focus reinfornce and resonate with your lifestyle and career focus. I would also recommend that once the student decides on a college, to research community college options as well, as they are able to take their first 2 years there then transfer. This is an excellent way for students and their parents to save money, an option that I feel many are unaware of. Furthermore, I feel that students will enhance their college experience if they find a school with a sense of social solidarity, where the alumni networking is strong, and the professors are well known experts in their field. I would encourage the incoming and prospective to student to become involved in the extra curricular activities that they enjoy, do not to join "just to join" but join to make a difference in the community and on campus. Meet with full- time tenured professors in order to ensure their curriculum is a good fit with what you want to study.

I wish I had known that the cohesion between students and students, and students and professors, is not as strong as what is portrayed during orientation. I also wish that I was informed that my program did not place a strong emphasis on working with clients during your undergraduate studies because I wish that I had more experience in the field before entering a Master's program.

The most frustrating aspect of this school was registration; I found it very difficult to find the classes that I needed . Often times classes were not offered or were full, this led to large gaps in my schedule which impeded me from finding a job position related to my field of study. Another item that I found frustrating was the lack of social solidarity amongst the students.

California State Polytechnic University-Pomona administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.