Pomona, CA
California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

Thomas

Cal Poly Pomona is an excellent school in my opinion, with a beautiful campus, friendly people, and an engaging academic culture. I have only been here for less than two months, but I very much enjoy this school and intend to stay here until graduation. I would highly recommend it to prospective students.

Although administration can be difficult to deal with, the amount of job opportunities offered in your field and the education you receive are completely worth it. The campus is so beautiful, and there are multiple quiet study spaces and student recreation areas for both business and play. Food on campus is awesome, with a Qdoba (chipotle-esque Mexican food place), subway, Peet’s Coffee, Hibachi-san (chipotle-esque Japanese Poke place), and a Round Table Pizza all in one building, adjacent to a games room complete with a pool table, skee-ball, game consoles, ping-pong, and a small movie theater. Plus there’s like three Starbucks on campus so that’s amazing. The mess hall/ cafeteria has pretty decent food on average, but they don’t post what they’re serving outside the mess hall and you don’t know what you’re having until you go in, which can be a problem on occasion. However, there is a build-your-own-bowl Mongolian Grill, a deli, a salad bar, and a pizza place inside the mess hall, so there is certainly variety. The French fries though? I could eat those all day. ALL. DAY. The academic advisors are wonderful; they’re available, helpful, they send out reminders via email about club meetings and application deadlines; they forward any information about scholarship or internship opportunities they receive, and are willing to help guide students plan their curriculum course at Cal Poly Pomona in order to graduate in four years. Housing is perfect except for the proximity issue; the suites are across the campus from the mess hall, and the dorms are across the campus from the main gym (there is one closer to the dorms, and it’s just as functional if a bit older).

Mayra

Learn by doing is what is great about Cal Poly Pomona. I love Pomona , so growing up here I couldn't imagine leaving this city. Now, that I am so close to getting my degree, I want to travel to places so that I can apply what I have learned these past two years in my career. I am very excited because I already have job offers and it is because of my involvement at school. I have opened my mind and expectations to something greater because of the inspiring people I meet every day here everywhere. I want to be able to be that person now and in my future.

I honestly love it here, the atmosphere is nice. The campus is pretty and there tends to be something going on everywhere you look. The classes have a range from 20 students to around 60, which is not a lot for a college. Really a great place to learn!

Sydney

My overall opinion of Cal Poly is very high. I believe my school is beneficial to my leaning style due to the, "learn by doing," atmosphere. My classes are relatively small, 30 people or less in my non-lecture classes, so class discussions are easy to partake in, and student-teacher interaction is very accessible. My chemistry lecture class has roughly 100 students, which is still relatively small considering it is a class many people are required to take on campus. I am also in the Kellogg Honors College, which is very beneficial if one likes to have small class sizes. Class size is limited to 20 people, and the discussion tend to be more in depth. The KHC is also an incredible resource for finding scholarship opportunities, as well as internships. The KHC has connections to many outside sources that go specifically to the honors college first to look for students. My only critique with the school would be the expense of on-campus housing. I live in the dorms, in a double occupancy room, which costs roughly $14,000 for three quarters. That is twice the amount for tuition. However, if one can get financial aid, it is easier to manage, but still a lot to spend on simple housing.

Jordan

LOVED this university, and wish they offered my master's program so I could have stayed. I transferred in from Mt. San Antonio College and received a BA in Gender, Ethnicity, and Multicultural Studies (GEMS). Transferring in when I was 23, I was not interested in the Greek life or any of those social events. I was there for myself and wanted to get in-and-out as quickly as possible. Having graduated from GEMS with priceless information that I can use on a daily basis, I've acquired the upmost respect for this school and the faculty and staff who assisted in my undergraduate success. The school itself is a little outdated and only the most popular majors (business, engineering, architecture, etc...) get the newest buildings. The smaller majors, such as mine, gets older classrooms however, the rooms are typical and are in no way distracting to ones education. The absolute best thing that I loved, that I felt helped with my academic success, was meeting with the chair of my department and having her tell me what was expected of me before I entered the program. This alleviated stress and I began to form a relationship with her, which came in handy the two years I was there. I would advise anyone to do the same with chairperson of their department. The library is wonderful and I didn't know it had so many levels until a few months prior to graduation. The new WREC Center, gym area, is also very nice though I never got a chance to use it. They also have so many places to eat! I never understood the "freshman ten" until I got here! Because of the age in which I entered Cal Poly, my mindset was very different than that of an incoming freshman however, I think anyone would love the amenities this school has to offer. Their textbooks are VERY CHEAP compared to Mt. SAC and my current graduate program (that I miss), although 1-2pm is prime time for classes and can take you over an hour to find a parking spot at times, so give yourself enough time to find a spot! The only con I had with this school was the parking. In the two years I was here I received three parking tickets, one of which was not my fault and I showed the discrepancy I found on their parking website. They could care less. They are also REALLY FAST at giving out parking tickets, my other two tickets given 10-15 minutes after parking my car. Don't mess around with their parking attendants. Other than that, I loved the experience here. I now understand why people have so much pride in their alma maters. This school introduced me to a major that was 100% meant for me, put me in the presence of the most educated and open-minded faculty and staff, and awarded me my bachelors. I love this school and will always speak well of it, as well as my GEMS program.

Joelie

This school is best known for it's engineering program and its agriculture program. This school gives students the oportunity to take part in raising arabian horses as well as provides many school events to get students involved.

Your freshman year of college is one of the most important years because that is when you meet your friends that will stick with you for the next 4 to 5 years or even the rest of your life. These friends are important because living with a bunch of people your age, you are bound to get into a fight with someone or have your heart broken and you are going to need your friends to pick you back up. College should also be one of the places where you make your best memories. Keeping that in mind you should take your classes seriously because they are important but it is ok to fail once or twice. Failing is one of the best ways you can learn. It can teach you about yourself whether it is the fact that you need to change your study habbits or if it makes you realize you no longer like something. The degree you chose your freshman year of college may not be what you want to do for the rest of your life.

The worst things about this school is that it is a commutor school meaning it has very litttle on campus housing making it difficult to get into the on-campus housing and everything closes early so if you have a late class, you can't get anything to eat on campus after 3:00. The campus is also dead on weekends because everyone goes home.

Stephen

I would tell myself to rethink my original career choice to be a mechanical engineer. Although this is an interest, this was not the career choice I should have made in high school. I would also tell myself that college takes much more application and work than high school, and although you're more "free" in college to make your own choices which would make college seem much more laid back, you have to know that those choices need to be well thought out and good ones, and the point of college is your pure interest and pursuit in knowledge and advancement in a certain field. And because of this, I would tell my high school self that the work I do towards my major is much more meaningful and advancing, and to prepare and acknowledge this for when I do get to college.

I wish I would have known to enroll as a Computer Science major, rather than enroll in another major and then switch. If I would have known, I could have been much further ahead in my classes.

Very limited class availability in my impacted major. Classes fill up incredibly fast and there is little that advisors do to help students get into these classes.

Rushi

Always be happy with whatever you’re doing in life, remember everything is experience and it always happens for a good reason. Socially, try to be the best person you can be to this world and society, do not change who you am, because it’s not living if you’re constantly changing for this judgmental world. There is still lot lying ahead of you, obstacles to face, issues to resolve, new lessons every day. Don’t ever let yourself down, always believe in yourself, because if you don’t, no one else will. Always remember to be thankful and helping. You’re here for a reason, do good to yourself and others. “Some people wait for the special someone that changes the world……. Others make things so that they are the one that change the world”

The best thing about my school would be the amazing community of staff and students that help build your successfull future. There is such a great diverse background that everyone has something unique to offer to each other. It is an experience that cannot be weighed by money or time, it can be just felt within. I have learned not only textbook material well, but also have had great practical implementation with hands on projects, especially following our college mission of "learn by doing."

The worst thing about my school would have to be the lack of transportation provided to students to reach the campus. Unfortnately, the parking permits are quite expensive to the everyday college student. Since it is somewhat of a commuter school, students have to make way for the hefty permit. Hopefully it gets better soon as management changes.

Ryan

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would likely tell myself to pick a school closer to home. Even if you want to get away from home, you will get homesick. I also recommend that you avoid freaking out about the transition, it is very scary aat first, but it gets easier when classes start and you start working on school, the time passes fast, all you will do by freaking out is slow the time down.

The classes are very good, and interesting. The hands-on learning idea begins immediatly. The campus is also very pretty.

A person who is not interested in learning by doing should not attend this school, as that is the purpose of the school. If you prefer only learning from a book, do not go to this school.

California State Polytechnic University-Pomona administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.