Pomona, CA
California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

Joelie

This school is best known for it's engineering program and its agriculture program. This school gives students the oportunity to take part in raising arabian horses as well as provides many school events to get students involved.

Your freshman year of college is one of the most important years because that is when you meet your friends that will stick with you for the next 4 to 5 years or even the rest of your life. These friends are important because living with a bunch of people your age, you are bound to get into a fight with someone or have your heart broken and you are going to need your friends to pick you back up. College should also be one of the places where you make your best memories. Keeping that in mind you should take your classes seriously because they are important but it is ok to fail once or twice. Failing is one of the best ways you can learn. It can teach you about yourself whether it is the fact that you need to change your study habbits or if it makes you realize you no longer like something. The degree you chose your freshman year of college may not be what you want to do for the rest of your life.

The worst things about this school is that it is a commutor school meaning it has very litttle on campus housing making it difficult to get into the on-campus housing and everything closes early so if you have a late class, you can't get anything to eat on campus after 3:00. The campus is also dead on weekends because everyone goes home.

Stephen

I would tell myself to rethink my original career choice to be a mechanical engineer. Although this is an interest, this was not the career choice I should have made in high school. I would also tell myself that college takes much more application and work than high school, and although you're more "free" in college to make your own choices which would make college seem much more laid back, you have to know that those choices need to be well thought out and good ones, and the point of college is your pure interest and pursuit in knowledge and advancement in a certain field. And because of this, I would tell my high school self that the work I do towards my major is much more meaningful and advancing, and to prepare and acknowledge this for when I do get to college.

I wish I would have known to enroll as a Computer Science major, rather than enroll in another major and then switch. If I would have known, I could have been much further ahead in my classes.

Very limited class availability in my impacted major. Classes fill up incredibly fast and there is little that advisors do to help students get into these classes.

Rushi

Always be happy with whatever you’re doing in life, remember everything is experience and it always happens for a good reason. Socially, try to be the best person you can be to this world and society, do not change who you am, because it’s not living if you’re constantly changing for this judgmental world. There is still lot lying ahead of you, obstacles to face, issues to resolve, new lessons every day. Don’t ever let yourself down, always believe in yourself, because if you don’t, no one else will. Always remember to be thankful and helping. You’re here for a reason, do good to yourself and others. “Some people wait for the special someone that changes the world……. Others make things so that they are the one that change the world”

The best thing about my school would be the amazing community of staff and students that help build your successfull future. There is such a great diverse background that everyone has something unique to offer to each other. It is an experience that cannot be weighed by money or time, it can be just felt within. I have learned not only textbook material well, but also have had great practical implementation with hands on projects, especially following our college mission of "learn by doing."

The worst thing about my school would have to be the lack of transportation provided to students to reach the campus. Unfortnately, the parking permits are quite expensive to the everyday college student. Since it is somewhat of a commuter school, students have to make way for the hefty permit. Hopefully it gets better soon as management changes.

Ryan

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would likely tell myself to pick a school closer to home. Even if you want to get away from home, you will get homesick. I also recommend that you avoid freaking out about the transition, it is very scary aat first, but it gets easier when classes start and you start working on school, the time passes fast, all you will do by freaking out is slow the time down.

The classes are very good, and interesting. The hands-on learning idea begins immediatly. The campus is also very pretty.

A person who is not interested in learning by doing should not attend this school, as that is the purpose of the school. If you prefer only learning from a book, do not go to this school.

Jasmine

The best thing about my school is definitely the diversity of the student body. I love being able to turn around and see a student of a different ethnicity each time. There is no possible stereotyping of my school based on a majority of the campus being occupied by a single ethnicity, because the diversity is so great that there is no majority.

I cannot recall anything that is truly frustrating about my school, other than the small things that every college campus faces, like the struggle to get into the classes you need.

sabrina

My school has a "learn by doing" philosophy. This simply means students interact more with the faculty and are able to learn hands on so that they will be prepared for their future careers.

Hey Sabrina, are you feeling alright? Seriously calm down. You do not need to stress out the way you are right now. First of all, based on your academic record throughout high school, you are going to be admitted in at least two if not one of the colleges you will apply to. Second, brace yourself for an awkward transition into what I call, reality. Do not fret. There will be a time of relaxation before you start school and you may lose friends. It is alright to let them go. You are in control of who stays and who goes especially if you will be a better person without them. Lastly, you can go anywhere you want! Exceed your limit! Stay optimistic about your decision because in the end you are the one going to college not your parents. If you need to pull out loans just know what you want to do beforehand and go for it, but always subsidized loans. Commuting to school will make you tired, trust me. Now before I go understand this, change is good. If I were you I would start making changes now. Remember you come first! Take care and stay positive.

The best thing about my school is how interactive the students are with the Professors. The professors I have had so far were extermely helpful and have made the first quarter an awarding experience.

Ethan

Cal Poly Pomona is unique compared to other schools because of the price of the degree and what can happen with a degree from this school. Just talking to some employers, who did not come to the numerous job fairs located on campus, revealed to me just how much esteem is placed on a degree from this school by certain businesses. This could be compared to a degree from USC or UCLA because of how highly employers want graduates from Cal Poly Pomona. Compared to these schools, Cal Poly Pomona is more cost efficient for practically the same degree.

After completing my first year in college, the best advice I could give my past self would be to force myself to be socialable and commit to the Pep Band. In college, where I only knew my roommates on move-in day, it could only be beneficial to know more people. If I knew this beforehand, my first quarter would have gone differently, all for the better. I waited until I was forced to be social, and then it was to late. Almost everyone had a closely-knit clique. Another piece of advice would be to commit to the Pep Band. I always had a problem of procrastinating and this is where it got the best of me. I just needed to practice my trumpet to know the music, but a voice in my head told me to do it later. Later never came. Game after game I did not know all of the music which was required of me. Eventually I finally decided to “join” and practiced until I could play all of the songs flawlessly, but it was to late. The notion was already cemented in my fellow Pep Band members that I am a lazy player.

Virginia

My classmates are highly motivated and hardworking.

My classmates are highly motivated and hardworking.

My school is best known for agriculture, engineering, horses, research, and its learn by doing approach.

Dear high school Ginny, You are finally getting ready to start college. Since I just completed my first year, I feel like I should give you some advice. Looking back, the transition from high school was much harder than I expected. In high school, I was able to breeze through classes and barely ever study. I thought it would be the same in college, despite what Mom and Dad said. My biggest fear was that I would have a hard time putting myself out there. However, after easily making friends, I let having fun take priority over studying and homework. Consequently, my grades suffered. Saying Mom and Dad were upset would be an understatement. Heck, I was even disappointed. You have so much promise and can do whatever you set your mind to. With that in mind, here is my advice for college: work hard and never give up. There are going to be times when you want to just go and hang out with your friends or go online but try only doing those things in moderation. I know it'll suck at times but just trust me. Keep up the hard work. You got this. Sincerely, College Ginny

Natalie

College is what you make of it. If you wish to succeed then you need to keep on top of your priorities. However, keep in mind to enjoy yourself & join a club, maybe a few. Never give up despite all the difficulties you encounter along the way & stand up for what is right. College is for your career, your life, so it's up to you to ensure you achieve your goals & all that you can. Learn what you love to do & go for it no matter what other people may say. Don't be afraid. It's your life, your time, your decisions. So make the most out of it & live it up while you still can. Never stop believing, especially in yourself. ;)

Cal Poly Pomona is a great school. There really is nothing wrong with it, although if you wish to change your major you (may) have to wait until the next year for your Change of Major Petition to be accepted. This means that, despite how early you drop off the petition, you may not be accepted until the end of the school year. This is due to some/most majors running on a tight class-to-be-taken schedule, where some classes are offered only during one quarter of the year & must be taken in order. Otherwise, CPP is great!

The wait list status for registering for classes could use some adjustments. Wait listed classes still count as part of the total number of class units you are allowed to take for the given quarter despite the fact it is not guaranteed you will be able to take the class. Makes registering for classes a little complicated.

Aaron

I would tell myself not to be so afraid. This would have been vital advice for myself, as well as for many incoming freshmen. I had always been the shy, quiet, anxious kid in high school, and I was not prepared for the new world that college was. Thusly, I was the traditional Cal Poly commuter student who came to campus, went to class, and went home without talking to anyone. I did not begin to make real connections on campus and make my great friends until my junior year (last year). My advice to myself, as well as other freshman, would be to not hold back. Get involved on campus, and don't be afraid of who you are. If you are a nerd who loved Harry Potter and Star Wars (as I am), there will be a place for you at Cal Poly Pomona. You may be surprised that by being yourself, you have a great time and make lifelong friends.

How fast the quarter system moves and the importance on staying on top of your work.

California State Polytechnic University-Pomona administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.