Pomona, CA
California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

Sydney

My overall opinion of Cal Poly is very high. I believe my school is beneficial to my leaning style due to the, "learn by doing," atmosphere. My classes are relatively small, 30 people or less in my non-lecture classes, so class discussions are easy to partake in, and student-teacher interaction is very accessible. My chemistry lecture class has roughly 100 students, which is still relatively small considering it is a class many people are required to take on campus. I am also in the Kellogg Honors College, which is very beneficial if one likes to have small class sizes. Class size is limited to 20 people, and the discussion tend to be more in depth. The KHC is also an incredible resource for finding scholarship opportunities, as well as internships. The KHC has connections to many outside sources that go specifically to the honors college first to look for students. My only critique with the school would be the expense of on-campus housing. I live in the dorms, in a double occupancy room, which costs roughly $14,000 for three quarters. That is twice the amount for tuition. However, if one can get financial aid, it is easier to manage, but still a lot to spend on simple housing.

Jordan

LOVED this university, and wish they offered my master's program so I could have stayed. I transferred in from Mt. San Antonio College and received a BA in Gender, Ethnicity, and Multicultural Studies (GEMS). Transferring in when I was 23, I was not interested in the Greek life or any of those social events. I was there for myself and wanted to get in-and-out as quickly as possible. Having graduated from GEMS with priceless information that I can use on a daily basis, I've acquired the upmost respect for this school and the faculty and staff who assisted in my undergraduate success. The school itself is a little outdated and only the most popular majors (business, engineering, architecture, etc...) get the newest buildings. The smaller majors, such as mine, gets older classrooms however, the rooms are typical and are in no way distracting to ones education. The absolute best thing that I loved, that I felt helped with my academic success, was meeting with the chair of my department and having her tell me what was expected of me before I entered the program. This alleviated stress and I began to form a relationship with her, which came in handy the two years I was there. I would advise anyone to do the same with chairperson of their department. The library is wonderful and I didn't know it had so many levels until a few months prior to graduation. The new WREC Center, gym area, is also very nice though I never got a chance to use it. They also have so many places to eat! I never understood the "freshman ten" until I got here! Because of the age in which I entered Cal Poly, my mindset was very different than that of an incoming freshman however, I think anyone would love the amenities this school has to offer. Their textbooks are VERY CHEAP compared to Mt. SAC and my current graduate program (that I miss), although 1-2pm is prime time for classes and can take you over an hour to find a parking spot at times, so give yourself enough time to find a spot! The only con I had with this school was the parking. In the two years I was here I received three parking tickets, one of which was not my fault and I showed the discrepancy I found on their parking website. They could care less. They are also REALLY FAST at giving out parking tickets, my other two tickets given 10-15 minutes after parking my car. Don't mess around with their parking attendants. Other than that, I loved the experience here. I now understand why people have so much pride in their alma maters. This school introduced me to a major that was 100% meant for me, put me in the presence of the most educated and open-minded faculty and staff, and awarded me my bachelors. I love this school and will always speak well of it, as well as my GEMS program.

Joelie

This school is best known for it's engineering program and its agriculture program. This school gives students the oportunity to take part in raising arabian horses as well as provides many school events to get students involved.

Your freshman year of college is one of the most important years because that is when you meet your friends that will stick with you for the next 4 to 5 years or even the rest of your life. These friends are important because living with a bunch of people your age, you are bound to get into a fight with someone or have your heart broken and you are going to need your friends to pick you back up. College should also be one of the places where you make your best memories. Keeping that in mind you should take your classes seriously because they are important but it is ok to fail once or twice. Failing is one of the best ways you can learn. It can teach you about yourself whether it is the fact that you need to change your study habbits or if it makes you realize you no longer like something. The degree you chose your freshman year of college may not be what you want to do for the rest of your life.

The worst things about this school is that it is a commutor school meaning it has very litttle on campus housing making it difficult to get into the on-campus housing and everything closes early so if you have a late class, you can't get anything to eat on campus after 3:00. The campus is also dead on weekends because everyone goes home.

Stephen

I would tell myself to rethink my original career choice to be a mechanical engineer. Although this is an interest, this was not the career choice I should have made in high school. I would also tell myself that college takes much more application and work than high school, and although you're more "free" in college to make your own choices which would make college seem much more laid back, you have to know that those choices need to be well thought out and good ones, and the point of college is your pure interest and pursuit in knowledge and advancement in a certain field. And because of this, I would tell my high school self that the work I do towards my major is much more meaningful and advancing, and to prepare and acknowledge this for when I do get to college.

I wish I would have known to enroll as a Computer Science major, rather than enroll in another major and then switch. If I would have known, I could have been much further ahead in my classes.

Very limited class availability in my impacted major. Classes fill up incredibly fast and there is little that advisors do to help students get into these classes.

Rushi

Always be happy with whatever you’re doing in life, remember everything is experience and it always happens for a good reason. Socially, try to be the best person you can be to this world and society, do not change who you am, because it’s not living if you’re constantly changing for this judgmental world. There is still lot lying ahead of you, obstacles to face, issues to resolve, new lessons every day. Don’t ever let yourself down, always believe in yourself, because if you don’t, no one else will. Always remember to be thankful and helping. You’re here for a reason, do good to yourself and others. “Some people wait for the special someone that changes the world……. Others make things so that they are the one that change the world”

The best thing about my school would be the amazing community of staff and students that help build your successfull future. There is such a great diverse background that everyone has something unique to offer to each other. It is an experience that cannot be weighed by money or time, it can be just felt within. I have learned not only textbook material well, but also have had great practical implementation with hands on projects, especially following our college mission of "learn by doing."

The worst thing about my school would have to be the lack of transportation provided to students to reach the campus. Unfortnately, the parking permits are quite expensive to the everyday college student. Since it is somewhat of a commuter school, students have to make way for the hefty permit. Hopefully it gets better soon as management changes.

Ryan

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would likely tell myself to pick a school closer to home. Even if you want to get away from home, you will get homesick. I also recommend that you avoid freaking out about the transition, it is very scary aat first, but it gets easier when classes start and you start working on school, the time passes fast, all you will do by freaking out is slow the time down.

The classes are very good, and interesting. The hands-on learning idea begins immediatly. The campus is also very pretty.

A person who is not interested in learning by doing should not attend this school, as that is the purpose of the school. If you prefer only learning from a book, do not go to this school.

Jasmine

The best thing about my school is definitely the diversity of the student body. I love being able to turn around and see a student of a different ethnicity each time. There is no possible stereotyping of my school based on a majority of the campus being occupied by a single ethnicity, because the diversity is so great that there is no majority.

I cannot recall anything that is truly frustrating about my school, other than the small things that every college campus faces, like the struggle to get into the classes you need.

sabrina

My school has a "learn by doing" philosophy. This simply means students interact more with the faculty and are able to learn hands on so that they will be prepared for their future careers.

Hey Sabrina, are you feeling alright? Seriously calm down. You do not need to stress out the way you are right now. First of all, based on your academic record throughout high school, you are going to be admitted in at least two if not one of the colleges you will apply to. Second, brace yourself for an awkward transition into what I call, reality. Do not fret. There will be a time of relaxation before you start school and you may lose friends. It is alright to let them go. You are in control of who stays and who goes especially if you will be a better person without them. Lastly, you can go anywhere you want! Exceed your limit! Stay optimistic about your decision because in the end you are the one going to college not your parents. If you need to pull out loans just know what you want to do beforehand and go for it, but always subsidized loans. Commuting to school will make you tired, trust me. Now before I go understand this, change is good. If I were you I would start making changes now. Remember you come first! Take care and stay positive.

The best thing about my school is how interactive the students are with the Professors. The professors I have had so far were extermely helpful and have made the first quarter an awarding experience.

Ethan

Cal Poly Pomona is unique compared to other schools because of the price of the degree and what can happen with a degree from this school. Just talking to some employers, who did not come to the numerous job fairs located on campus, revealed to me just how much esteem is placed on a degree from this school by certain businesses. This could be compared to a degree from USC or UCLA because of how highly employers want graduates from Cal Poly Pomona. Compared to these schools, Cal Poly Pomona is more cost efficient for practically the same degree.

After completing my first year in college, the best advice I could give my past self would be to force myself to be socialable and commit to the Pep Band. In college, where I only knew my roommates on move-in day, it could only be beneficial to know more people. If I knew this beforehand, my first quarter would have gone differently, all for the better. I waited until I was forced to be social, and then it was to late. Almost everyone had a closely-knit clique. Another piece of advice would be to commit to the Pep Band. I always had a problem of procrastinating and this is where it got the best of me. I just needed to practice my trumpet to know the music, but a voice in my head told me to do it later. Later never came. Game after game I did not know all of the music which was required of me. Eventually I finally decided to “join” and practiced until I could play all of the songs flawlessly, but it was to late. The notion was already cemented in my fellow Pep Band members that I am a lazy player.

Virginia

My classmates are highly motivated and hardworking.

My classmates are highly motivated and hardworking.

My school is best known for agriculture, engineering, horses, research, and its learn by doing approach.

Dear high school Ginny, You are finally getting ready to start college. Since I just completed my first year, I feel like I should give you some advice. Looking back, the transition from high school was much harder than I expected. In high school, I was able to breeze through classes and barely ever study. I thought it would be the same in college, despite what Mom and Dad said. My biggest fear was that I would have a hard time putting myself out there. However, after easily making friends, I let having fun take priority over studying and homework. Consequently, my grades suffered. Saying Mom and Dad were upset would be an understatement. Heck, I was even disappointed. You have so much promise and can do whatever you set your mind to. With that in mind, here is my advice for college: work hard and never give up. There are going to be times when you want to just go and hang out with your friends or go online but try only doing those things in moderation. I know it'll suck at times but just trust me. Keep up the hard work. You got this. Sincerely, College Ginny

California State Polytechnic University-Pomona administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.