California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

« See more reviews of California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

Parking is argueably the greatest dilemma at California State Polytechinc University - Pomona. The open availability of parking spots nearby lecture halls is scarce, and the majority of students are forced to park a significant distance away from the classroom. Parking permits are also expensive, and sadly, students are practically required to purchase them. They are nessecary in all campus parking lots, and without them, a parking violation is almost guranteed to be administered. The campus parking patrol services are very strict, and with the lack of convenient locations to park, the parking dilemma is greater at the university.

I love Cal Poly Pomona, so it is extremely hard to point out the worst thing about my school. However, I feel that the guidance I received was lacking especially pertaining to internships. In order to graduate a student must complete two quarters worth of internships, which I did both on campus and not at an outside company. This I feel hurt me in trying to obtain a job position after graduation. I wish that my school would have guided me toward an internship outside of Cal Ply Pomona because I feel it would have benefited me much better.

The worst thing about our school, at this moment, is how difficult it is to obtain classes. Our school has many students, and all these students have to wait their turn to sign up for these classes, but the system is, in my opinion, unfair. I had spoken to other people about what time they had to register for classes; these times varied greatly, having some students fill their schedule with nothing but wait-listed classes. There are those who cannot continue in school because they need a single class, but they cannot get into it.

Cal Poly Pomona is a great school. There really is nothing wrong with it, although if you wish to change your major you (may) have to wait until the next year for your Change of Major Petition to be accepted. This means that, despite how early you drop off the petition, you may not be accepted until the end of the school year. This is due to some/most majors running on a tight class-to-be-taken schedule, where some classes are offered only during one quarter of the year & must be taken in order. Otherwise, CPP is great!

The worst thing about this school I believe is the availability of classes taught each quarter. Sometimes it becomes harder for students that are in need of a class to graduate, but the class is not being offered and you are forced to wait another year to take the course. So in order to do this correctly you must consider seeing your advisor and make a plan out your courses so that you do not miss any classes. Because of the limited amount of classes each quarter, things get worst by year.

The location of the Student Health Services building because it is on a corner of the campus map. Also, it is located next to parking lots and buildings that require reaching them by going uphill. In that way, it seems separated from the rest of the campus and inconvenient to get to. Living on campus for the last two years, I needed to walk for at least ten minutes in order to get to the Health Services. It was especially tedious to make that walk when I had back spasms.

The worst thing about Cal Poly Pomona seems to be the lack of connection in the student body. Some students just go about their day, taking classes, completing their work and going home, without worrying about what is going on throughout campus. Interaction and growth through new and different channels is one of the keys to becoming smarter and stronger than ever imagined. When someone doesnt try a channel of opportunity, they just lost the chance to be something great.

The worst thing about my school is that when you transfer in from another institution they do not consider your GPA as a whols they only hold you to the GPA that you earn after your first quarter here. So there is more presure to make good grades. They hold you to a double standard making it somewhat hard for new incoming transfer students getting use to a new campus and way of teaching. That is one thing that I would like to see changed.

I believe the policies are never stated clearly for the students. When policies are revised, students are never informed. In fact, they are usually told to the students when students inquire about them. Professors' office hours are very limited and iti is usually difficult to reach professors. Need more of a varieity of night classes for students who work during the day time.

This school is a commuter school. Given this reason, the majority of students arrive on campus for their activities, and leave when classes are over. The campus is dead after a certain time everyday. The campus is especially dead on weekends. Besides that, the school is trying to make a push to encourage people on campus to open their eyes to the many activities on campus.