California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

« See more reviews of California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

Given that it is a public state university, Cal Poly Pomona, among the rest of the California State University system, has suffered from the state buget cuts this past year. Before the cuts, it was difficult enough to enroll into classes. The cuts forced numerous teachers from the science and math departments to be fired. Keeping in mind that original enrollment difficulty, science and math classes were cut in half. To add insult to injury, those classes majorly consisted of general education classes required of Engineering majors, which is what the university is widely know for.

I do not think that there is any frustrating thing about my school. In last summer 2008, there was budget problem and i didn not get the classes i wanted, that really frustrated me and because of that i left behind one quarter from graduating. There is one more thing i do not like about this school is Finance professors. i don't like the way some professors teach. They would just read off of the power points and never really explain the problems well. But it goes for some not all, overall it is good, i like it .

The most frustrating quality of Cal Poly Pomona is getting classes that we need when registration time come around. With a huge number of budget cuts being made, classes were less and less available. It is hard to add a class as well, most professors do not want large class sizes and it is understandable, to want a small class. I feel that smaller class sizes are in our best interest as students. However, more of the "needed" classes should be opened.

CPP is a big commuter school. In my situation, I live on campus with no car and am about 9 hours drive away from my hometown. It makes it hard to find things to do or people to hang out with on campus, especially on weekends. Many of the students live at home in the nearby areas and don't stick around on campus to be social with other students, thus the school itself doesn't provide many things to do.

The most frustrating thing about Cal Poly is the administration. The professors are wonderful, but those working in the offices could be a bit more helpful. Because of budget layoffs the school does not have many employees working in the offices. This at times can be frustrating. The administration is constantly under pressure and it shows when approaching them for help or assistance.

The most frustrating aspect of this school was registration; I found it very difficult to find the classes that I needed . Often times classes were not offered or were full, this led to large gaps in my schedule which impeded me from finding a job position related to my field of study. Another item that I found frustrating was the lack of social solidarity amongst the students.

Currently with the budget dilema the issues in the school are the fact that some students cannot get classes. Teachers are also required to take furlough days (unpaid days) which lowers the salary of the faculty and limits the time students have in the classroom. We have the quarter system and we only have 10 weeks in each class, we need all the class sessions we can get.

For me one of the most frustrating things about the school would have to be the parking situations. In the beginning of the school year its like of bad. Like unless your amazing at driving and being calm it might be easy but since so many people are enrolled in the fall it can be difficult to find a decent spot. As the year goes on though its gets better.

The wait list status for registering for classes could use some adjustments. Wait listed classes still count as part of the total number of class units you are allowed to take for the given quarter despite the fact it is not guaranteed you will be able to take the class. Makes registering for classes a little complicated.

As a architecture student, I believe that we need a better facilities. The drafting tables are in a really bad condition to use, and we do not have a large lecture hall to fit all students that we have to sit on the floor. The program is great, but definately need a better facilities to back it up.