California State Polytechnic University-Pomona Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

Viridiana

Cal Poly Pomona is one of the few colleges that is known to be "hands on". This university follows the motto "Learn by Doing" and believes that students learn more by actually getting hands on experience. The overall academics is very hands on and class sizes tend to be small. There are many clubs on campus that students can get involved in which also can be very hands on. This school is known to be a commuter school so everything on campus tends to be closed during the weekends. Outdoor shoppes or entertainment are around ten minutes away. Overall, academic wise this university does a good job in helping and teaching students and are living up to their motto.

I honestly love it here, the atmosphere is nice. The campus is pretty and there tends to be something going on everywhere you look. The classes have a range from 20 students to around 60, which is not a lot for a college. Really a great place to learn!

Although administration can be difficult to deal with, the amount of job opportunities offered in your field and the education you receive are completely worth it. The campus is so beautiful, and there are multiple quiet study spaces and student recreation areas for both business and play. Food on campus is awesome, with a Qdoba (chipotle-esque Mexican food place), subway, Peet’s Coffee, Hibachi-san (chipotle-esque Japanese Poke place), and a Round Table Pizza all in one building, adjacent to a games room complete with a pool table, skee-ball, game consoles, ping-pong, and a small movie theater. Plus there’s like three Starbucks on campus so that’s amazing. The mess hall/ cafeteria has pretty decent food on average, but they don’t post what they’re serving outside the mess hall and you don’t know what you’re having until you go in, which can be a problem on occasion. However, there is a build-your-own-bowl Mongolian Grill, a deli, a salad bar, and a pizza place inside the mess hall, so there is certainly variety. The French fries though? I could eat those all day. ALL. DAY. The academic advisors are wonderful; they’re available, helpful, they send out reminders via email about club meetings and application deadlines; they forward any information about scholarship or internship opportunities they receive, and are willing to help guide students plan their curriculum course at Cal Poly Pomona in order to graduate in four years. Housing is perfect except for the proximity issue; the suites are across the campus from the mess hall, and the dorms are across the campus from the main gym (there is one closer to the dorms, and it’s just as functional if a bit older).

Irene

I thought CPP was a pathetic backup school and coming in I had immediate plans to transfer out as soon as possible. I am now at junior standing and I have no intentions or desires to transfer. What can I say? The school grew on me. The professors I have had the honor of knowing have been amazing and inspiring. Sure, there are some difficult, cranky, hardcore professors out there but it is what you make of it. There are tons of resume-boosting opportunities if you look well through your college or handshake profile. The food may be mediocre but the Panda Express near Building 5 makes the crispiest Orange Chicken out there. However, the parking is a nightmare. The kind of nightmare you wake up to and face. If you want to avoid the parking crisis, take 8:00 AM classes like I do or live on-campus. I had a panic attack driving around for close to 30 minutes to find parking. Overall, this school has more pros than cons and it becomes a comfortable environment one can flourish in if time, effort and (of course) money is invested into your 3-4 years at CPP. It may not be the most prestigious but you get every bang for your buck (no pun intended).

Pamela

This university is filled with students who are in it to reach their academic goals. The majors taught at Cal Poly Pomona are designed to let students fully immerse in the reality that they are being conditioned for a life-long career. As an architecture student, I can attest that my program is one filled with dedicated students. Faculty members produce hardworking individuals ready for the working world who have taken the university mantra of "Learn by Doing" to heart.

I love this school! I’m a second year and so far I can say I am having the best experience at school. People here are so nice, the professors are very passionate about the course/always available, lots of activities going on around campus, and much more! Overall I love my school.

Joel

Honestly, CPP has been my dream school since high school, so I will try to keep the bias from affecting my review. All in all, it is a great school that, like most other schools, is trying to connect more with its students and trying to give a better campus life to us. From my particular experience, there has been no faculty member that has not been able to teach me effectively, no student issues like safety, inaccessibility, or other student-to-student encounters of the negative kind. We're all just kind of here to learn and study, which is great compared to less effective party schools and the like. Campus is really quiet most of the time, with interactions being between students of their own respective majors, which is convenient because we each get our own building for each major. This helps with classroom placement and a general "home base" to those who are new on campus. The facilities are great and updated, from 2 separate market buildings and plenty of food choices around campus, to a fully equipped gym and several on campus study areas. The library is a great place to go study, as it's right in the center of the campus. The college administration itself is branched a lot towards the individual majors themselves, which means each building has its own line of administrators and clubs and activities and the like. A very great and varied school to study at and we welcome any new additions with open arms!

Iḿ a freshman and plan on enrolling for the fall of September 2017 so I do not know much. But i can´t wait to start school everyone seems friendly.

Minerva Grace

Cal Poly Pomona is my dream school and I am happy to be a part of it. This school believes their students "learn by doing". As a Landscape Architecture major I was pushed to do things that I have never done before. My professors took us out on weekly field trips to understand the landscape, get to know the different urban or natural environments, and encourage us to work in a studio setting. The school is very hands on with the activities and everyone is supportive of one another in the classroom. Surrounding myself with like minded people makes me feel like I belong here and I am a Bronco.

Ghina

"Learning by Doing" is truly what potrays Cal Poly Pomona. Inside the classroom, professors tend to depict a reality of what students should expect in their working fields and emphasis on how one should "market" themselves to enter a particular job - which is key to be employed in the first place. The classroom setting also allows students and professors to interact well. The big lecture halls allow easy access to be recognized by the professor and hold a decent class discussion. The facilities provided by the campus fulfill the needs of the students as well. The library gives students convinient space to study as well as to take a rest. The BRIC provides students access to gym for free. Different mini markets and food stations are also present almost at every corner at the campus.

Shawntel

Overall, Cal Poly is a good school. It's cheaper than a lot of other universities, the class sizes are alright, and there's a lot of places to visit nearby. However, because it's a commuter school, parking is always a struggle, and getting the classes you need can be hard.

Coral

LOVE THE DIVERSITY

Keimahney

I am a Freshman at Cal Poly Pomona and I just finished my first quarter. Choosing a college was difficult because I never had a first-choice college in mind, I simply knew I wanted to attend college, but Pomona caught my eye because of its motto: Learn by Doing (and because I was born in the city and wanted to get to know it). As an incoming Freshman I perceived the motto to be a promo of sorts, to get students to gravitate towards attending or applying to Pomona, but attending Pomona this Fall, completing my first quarter, and moving into my second, I have fallen in love with the campus, the receptive and enjoyable atmosphere, and the interesting people. My dormitory, or hall, is great, it is very home-like because the people are very open and fun, and there are always entertaining events, like karaoke, for those of us who do not return home on the weekends. Los Olivos , the cafeteria, is very accommodating to the various cultures at CPP; LO has food for everyone and I very much appreciate the diversity. CPP has a very hands-on environment, the students create a very welcoming, and honest space. There are cultural centers for Asian and Pacific Islanders, the LGBT+ community, African Americans, and many more. CPP is genuinely a great campus with phenomenal people, and a pleasant atmosphere that I immensely enjoy being a part of. I am definitely proud to a Bronco and am proud to be a part of the Bronco community. GO BRONCOS!

Sydney

My overall opinion of Cal Poly is very high. I believe my school is beneficial to my leaning style due to the, "learn by doing," atmosphere. My classes are relatively small, 30 people or less in my non-lecture classes, so class discussions are easy to partake in, and student-teacher interaction is very accessible. My chemistry lecture class has roughly 100 students, which is still relatively small considering it is a class many people are required to take on campus. I am also in the Kellogg Honors College, which is very beneficial if one likes to have small class sizes. Class size is limited to 20 people, and the discussion tend to be more in depth. The KHC is also an incredible resource for finding scholarship opportunities, as well as internships. The KHC has connections to many outside sources that go specifically to the honors college first to look for students. My only critique with the school would be the expense of on-campus housing. I live in the dorms, in a double occupancy room, which costs roughly $14,000 for three quarters. That is twice the amount for tuition. However, if one can get financial aid, it is easier to manage, but still a lot to spend on simple housing.

Alex

From my experience, Cal Poly Pomona is a good college for engineering. People who go there go there for that. The people are pretty nice; if you ask someone for help they will give it to you or direct you to someone who is more apt. The housing covers all the basics: bed, electricity, internet, storage. The buildings are old, but they get the job done, and that's all you really need. The hall lobby is super cool. People are always chilling there and playing ping pong or pool. The food is okay, but there is a Mongolian grill that is awesome. The professors are all different, but the ones I have had have been fair. The courses go by fast because they are on the quarter system.

Lexington

While CPP is known more for its engineering department, there are opportunities for students in other majors as well. One of my friends, who's an English major is going to China over the summer to teach. This past year, I was able to participate in a competition hosted by NASA while another friend conducted research for JPL. CPP promotes and celebrates hard work and the faculty are always advertising scholarships and internships students can participate in. I am confident that after I graduate I will be ready for the workforce.

Jordan

LOVED this university, and wish they offered my master's program so I could have stayed. I transferred in from Mt. San Antonio College and received a BA in Gender, Ethnicity, and Multicultural Studies (GEMS). Transferring in when I was 23, I was not interested in the Greek life or any of those social events. I was there for myself and wanted to get in-and-out as quickly as possible. Having graduated from GEMS with priceless information that I can use on a daily basis, I've acquired the upmost respect for this school and the faculty and staff who assisted in my undergraduate success. The school itself is a little outdated and only the most popular majors (business, engineering, architecture, etc...) get the newest buildings. The smaller majors, such as mine, gets older classrooms however, the rooms are typical and are in no way distracting to ones education. The absolute best thing that I loved, that I felt helped with my academic success, was meeting with the chair of my department and having her tell me what was expected of me before I entered the program. This alleviated stress and I began to form a relationship with her, which came in handy the two years I was there. I would advise anyone to do the same with chairperson of their department. The library is wonderful and I didn't know it had so many levels until a few months prior to graduation. The new WREC Center, gym area, is also very nice though I never got a chance to use it. They also have so many places to eat! I never understood the "freshman ten" until I got here! Because of the age in which I entered Cal Poly, my mindset was very different than that of an incoming freshman however, I think anyone would love the amenities this school has to offer. Their textbooks are VERY CHEAP compared to Mt. SAC and my current graduate program (that I miss), although 1-2pm is prime time for classes and can take you over an hour to find a parking spot at times, so give yourself enough time to find a spot! The only con I had with this school was the parking. In the two years I was here I received three parking tickets, one of which was not my fault and I showed the discrepancy I found on their parking website. They could care less. They are also REALLY FAST at giving out parking tickets, my other two tickets given 10-15 minutes after parking my car. Don't mess around with their parking attendants. Other than that, I loved the experience here. I now understand why people have so much pride in their alma maters. This school introduced me to a major that was 100% meant for me, put me in the presence of the most educated and open-minded faculty and staff, and awarded me my bachelors. I love this school and will always speak well of it, as well as my GEMS program.

Thomas

Cal Poly Pomona is an excellent school in my opinion, with a beautiful campus, friendly people, and an engaging academic culture. I have only been here for less than two months, but I very much enjoy this school and intend to stay here until graduation. I would highly recommend it to prospective students.

Juan

Cal Poly Pomona is a great school that offers a challenging curriculum on top of it's "learn by doing" motto. If you are an active person they have amazing facilities and equipment including the tallest rock climbing wall in the CSU system. The people are accepting and encourage you to do the best you can do to achieve the best outcome in your college experience.

Jasmine

CPP is a university that adopts the approach of "learn-by-doing" to educate students. The school offers a lot of resources if you know where to look (or if you check your email), and there are also many professional development clubs. Like all colleges, there are good and bad professors, but the classes for the best ones always fill up quickly. For impacted majors, signing up for classes is like the Hunger Games unless you're a priority student. The school is also quite diverse, I think- there are a lot of different cultural and recreational clubs. Not much can be said for the freshmen dorms, but the Village is marginally better, and if you're willing to pay more, the suites and some of the other housing you can get on-campus seem pretty neat. The food (because we all know that's what you really care about) is... kind of meh, but I guess it depends on your preferences. Some places are a bit overpriced, but a lot of the fruits and products are grown on-campus, so yay for organic. There are some good places to eat nearby if you drive, and a tiny plaza within walking distance for your milk tea needs. Also, great gym with a rock-climbing wall, and lots and lots of animals. There's a pond where you can watch turtles sunbathe all day, and if you're lucky, you might see a duck with a line of ducklings waddling behind. Cows, sheep, a llama and an alpaca... animals. I don't think there's much of a nightlife, but there is a brewery, and interestingly enough, a... winery class? Hm. Overall- beautiful campus, some very good and some very poor professors, okay food, lots of clubs, and good opportunities if you look for them.

Zoe

I believe that Cal Poly Pomona is truly a great school and comes at a great price. Most classes are fairly small and the professors have been really nice and helpful so far. The campus is large and has a lot of hills so be prepared for the trek and some sore legs. The food choices are pretty good but the prices could be better. Overall, the atmosphere, relatively low cost, and professors make this a great choice for those who cannot afford many private or UC colleges or simple prefer more personal classes.

Van

This is a great campus. The faculty and staff are very nice and friendly. They're always there to help you. There is also a lot of opportunities for students to practice their majors. The food court is huge and provides all kind of food. However, class size is quite small.

Christopher

I think the University has great potential and great learning facilities, but it tends to be greatly unorganized when it comes to freshmen orientation and introduction. Their presence on the web does need a severe update. The housing's air conditioning and living spaces could also use an update, but they are still proficient and livable.

Kristen

It's a great experience! I enjoy my school and very proud of my choice! Everyday is an adventure! The school has made lots of changes to include biking and wildlife, I'm having a blast!

Christian

Cal Poly is everything you need in a college. The resources are abundant and the professors make an effort so that students learn. There are many different people at Cal Poly with many different backgrounds and many different ways of life. I most enjoy the ability to access the resources from other departments for other majors; allowing students to try out what other majors have to offer.

Marissa

I think that the campus is beautiful and the faculty is great. I have never had a problem with being able to talk to one of my professors about academics or life in general. I feel very safe on campus, of course just like anywhere I always make sure that someone knows where I am going. I am very happy that I chose CPP.

Christine

When I was applying for college, my goal was to enroll in a school where I could study fashion design. Cal Poly Pomona was one of the schools that met my requirement. I took a tour of the fashion building and instantly fell in love with the school. My love of the university grew with the completion of my first year. The school offers ample assistance at the tutoring center. The tutors explain chapters in a way that is easy to understand. The professors, who are easy to talk to, also helped me by going over the difficult lessons. Tutors and professors were the key to me gaining exceptional grades in multiple classes. On top of academic opportunities, social opportunities are also provided. Parties, club events, dances, and festivals are just a few of the activities offered at Cal Poly Pomona. At these events I made friends that I’m still friends with to this day. When it comes to the freshman dorms, that is another story. The freshman dorms are like any other university dorms. The freshman dorms provide many places to socialize with friends and to make new ones. When comes to studying however, the freshman dorms provide too many distractions. That is when the library comes in handy. The library provides multiple quiet study spaces and sound proof rooms for students and groups study. The library also has a 24-hour computer lab. Overall, Cal Poly Pomona is a perfect university to study, Fashion, Agriculture, Engineering, Business and more.

yuseon

I LOVE MY SCHOOL SO MUCH

Courtney

I love this school! I feel like I am in an immersive environment and that my professors really care about the individual students. I feel like the university is very open minded when it comes to basic human rights, and that we are very inclusive to everyone attending. I am glad that I am a student, and soon-to-be graduate, of this university.

John

I feel that in the near future I hope to be accepted into this university and I will be majoring in architecture and design.

Rebekah

I really enjoy the campus. There are plenty of spots to go and study inside and out. I am also a proud member Sigma Kapa and the Seniority's are wonderful & uplifting group of women there to support and encourage. I enjoy the outdoors and beautiful plant life around campus as well as animal.

Erica

Health needs to be on pinnacle of the priority listing for women and men. it's miles imperative to eat healthful, exercising and sleep well for proper improvement of the body. Any type of complacency can cause getting at risk of various fitness complications. according to analyze, a majority of human beings fail to acquire this goal. http://www.strongtesterone.com/alpha-max-no2-reviews/

Ethan

It is my first year on campus, but I have to say that I really enjoy the culture and people. The campus is big and confusing, but students are always helping each other out. There is also plenty of space to walk around which is great after sitting in class for about 2 hours. I really enjoy this school and I am very proud to call myself a bronco.

Melissa

Cal Poly Pomona is the perfect university for anyone looking to thrive in their personal career choice. The school offers a variety of diverse clubs, activities, majors, and resources. As a student you can anything you could need or want on campus. On top of that, the professors are interactive with students, allowing them to learn as much as possible. The location is convenient and the faculty is there to help you. Anyone looking to transfer or is currently a high school student should look into applying!

William

California State Polytechnic University is a great school for undergraduate study, especially for engineering. Being involved on campus makes the work load seem more manageable. Although campus food might be overpriced, Cal Poly Pomona definitely makes up for it in providing opportunities/facilities for hands on experience.

xinyu

Is a really diverse university. The campus is really safe. You can found lots resource in our library. You can get tons of help in library. We have a Starbucks store in our library. Professors are cool and nice. Our class size on average is like 25-30. So is really easy to get along with them.

Claudia

CPP is a great school overall, but since the everyone is a commuter, you don’t really form that many close friends in class which is why you should join extracurriculars like Greek life and clubs. The classes are of a reasonable size and the professors are usually available via email or office hours.

Christian

Cal Poly Pomona was definitely not my first choice of schools, but it is relatively close to home and offers a wide range of majors and courses that I found interesting. The campus is not too big and not too small, but can be difficult to navigate if you are a first time visitor. I love many aspects about Cal Poly Pomona, but also hate other aspects. The scenery on campus is beautiful and varies in the type of scenery. There is a Japanese Garden, Engineering Meadow, Sunflower Patch, and endless fields for the agriculture department. However, everything surrounding the campus is dull and extremely hilly. Aside from the scenery, the living spaces on campus are atrocious. On campus housing is overpriced, ugly, crowded, and not worth the effort. They force freshmen to live on campus if you live outside of the immediate area. The food plan is not included and is also overpriced. That could be forgiven if the food was edible. On top of the housing mess, the class sizes tend to be on the larger size while the availability of courses remains limited. With so many students and not enough courses to accommodate them, it is almost impossible to graduate in 4 years. The average graduation rate is about 5 years according to one of my 1st year professors. Depending on what department your major is apart of, it can be easy to make friends or impossible. Thankfully, the college of Agriculture is a welcoming and friendly group of people. The college of engineering, however, is cold and passive. If you are interesting in Cal Poly Pomona, you should definitely know exactly what you want to do before applying. Do not come to the school expecting to have anything laid out for you. If you are okay with keeping to yourself, overpaying for sub-par conditions for housing, not receiving the courses that you need to graduate, and having no outlet for extracurricular activities, Cal Poly Pomona is right for you.

Alexandra

It has such a beautiful campus! I love it. I have taken many personal campus tours there with my sister. She currently attends Cal Poly Pomona, she personally knows CPP of her own. I hear that this school has great reviews and is extraordinary in academics. CPP is known to be one of the greatest schools in the state of California.

Tita

I believe this is the perfect school for me! When I came here for the first time during orientation, I automatically knew this was home for me for the next three years. I love the outdoorsy feel and environment. There's a farm so while driving by, you could see cows and horses which is something great for an animal lover like me.

Mayra

Learn by doing is what is great about Cal Poly Pomona. I love Pomona , so growing up here I couldn't imagine leaving this city. Now, that I am so close to getting my degree, I want to travel to places so that I can apply what I have learned these past two years in my career. I am very excited because I already have job offers and it is because of my involvement at school. I have opened my mind and expectations to something greater because of the inspiring people I meet every day here everywhere. I want to be able to be that person now and in my future.

tea

My overall opinion on California State Polytechnic University of Pomona is that its a great campus overall with plenty of things to do on campus when not in a class session. The students and faculty members are very diverse and only want to help you succeed. All in all the staff and campus are great but the only thing I would change would be the food variety we have on campus.

Justin

For the most part, Cal Poly Pomona is a great institution that offers an incredibly unique prospective. That is the fact of learning by doing, which prepares you for the work force and gives you valuable experience before you even graduate. The social life is somewhat dim, but the academic and artistic opportunities are abundant and well cared for by the staff and administration.

jose

It has probably been one of my best decision towards college. There bacground on my major is truly the best fit.

MARCO ANTONIO

Cal Poly Pomona (CPP) is an inspirational, transcendental, and natural embodiment of what an university should be. I'm totally grateful about assisting, earning, and achieving my life objectives in an amazing educational center; within an enriching and positive attitude in all aspects.

catherine

Its a nice school, the faculty is open to business meaning that when students need help they are there.

Maiya

This was an amazing school and when I visited, I was warmly welcomed by the students and staff. The campus was very beautiful as well and it was fun to learn about. I'm so excited to attend this university and pursue my dreams of a future career in veterinary sciences.

Javier

It a very open and welcoming campus, with many clubs to join and activities going on almost every week. I encourage anyone who's interested in architecture or civil engineer to have cal poly pomona as an option when choosing schools their is a great hands on involvement.

Alexander

I like this college and I would recommend others to come to this university. There are several fun things you can do. The BRIC is amazing. It's a gym and so much more. There are so many activities at the BRIC. The Den has amazing hamburgers. There are several other places to eat, but most of them close before 10:00 pm. The campus is usually a ghost town on the weekends, but you can always go do other things off campus because this is Southern California. Due to this, I really like my university.

Briana

Cal Poly Pomona is a great school with a motivating motto to "learn by doing". It is a clean, safe campus with lots of interesting people. Marketplace has great food options, lots of clubs for everyone. The parking is a hassle though. You must get there at least an hour before your class starts. Maybe more. The biggest obstacle about the school are the HILLS!! You have to be ready to walk your butt off, but at least you'll be in great shape by the end of the quarter. We are switching over to semesters though. The semester conversion prep is a hassle and honestly seems really random. Despite the new changes every new quarter I walk in with a fresh attitude meet amazing classmates I will cherish memories of forever. As well as the many best friends I will keep for many years and meet up with even after leaving this school. There are so many positives it is not to far from LA there is great night life and shopping in surrounding areas. Cal Poly also has a lot to offer as far as majors and academic education. There are many great organizations and clubs to join so you can meet new people. My favorite place is the Harry Potter club because I am a huge fan as well as the International Center. So many welcoming people to meet.