California State Polytechnic University-Pomona Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

Juan

Cal Poly is a great school and I have thus far enjoyed it greatly. The campus is beautiful and the students are nice and relaxed. The classes are challenging but not so difficult that it will be nearly impossible to pass. There are a variety of professors on campus and many of them are experienced and care about the success of their students and are willing to help. The classes are not very boring either and offer much to learn.

Ariadna

My overall opinion on California State Polytechnic University of Pomona is that it is the ideal school for those students that are hands-on learners. The whole polytechnic part is very stressed at this school which is very useful because you begin to gain experience. This will further your knowledge on your specific major which will in turn be handy in the future when applying to jobs. Also, it begins to give you an idea as to what life after receiving a degree will be like since the student will have more opportunity to enter into a job or career related to their major.

Kelli

Everyone there is willing to help. The staff want you to succeed and even offer you their time. The professors are in the industry and and comeback to tell you about it. They give the best insight to how the working world will be after you leave. The on campus housing may a be a bit costly but I say it is worth it.

jacqueline

I think it is a pretty good school. The classes are not too big and the professors always advise to take office hours if one does not understand the material. The scenic views are just amazing and relaxing even. Not too big on sports so if you're looking for a school that is might not want to choose Pomona but otherwise great school.

Gino

Before I started attending one of my Friends told me he worked on the roof of the CLA building (the tall pointy building in the center of campus) when it was being built. He has worked on a multiple university building in southern California. He told me that the culture/vibe of the students and staff on campus was the nicest and friendliest of all the campuses he spent time on. When I started my first quarter at Cal Poly Pomona I felt completely comfortable. I felt at home which made me proud to be part of the community. The bric is Amazing!! One of the top engineering schools in the nation, and my major, hospitality management is the top rated program in California according to U.S. News. I am a commuter so I'm not on campus very much unless I have class or am meeting with a team. I wish I was so I can participate more on campus, but I work full time where I live. The motto, Application of Knowledge, translates to a learn by doing approach, which can be seen on campus with all the team projects you can see taking place throughout the campus. I love this school and am Proud to be called a Bronco!!

Brionne

I definitely think I made the right decision attending Cal Poly Pomona. The class sizes are relatively small so there is a better chance of meeting with the professor after class and asking questions. There are a lot of clubs to participate in and the culture centers are very welcoming. From what I’ve seen, the professors are there to provide education and most will do a good job to find relatability. I honestly can’t say too much on sororities, fraternities, and parties since my main priority is education but I’d assume they’re cool to be a part of. I can’t imagine myself anywhere else and I’m excited to eventually say that I received my bachelors in applied mathematics from California State Polytechnic University Pomona.

Haley

While I may be just a first-year at Cal Poly Pomona, I have my opinion on the campus already set in stone. I love it. The grounds are beautiful. The people are so kind. The teachers are understanding. The college life here is just overall outstanding.

Jordan

The food isn't that great at the dining hall, but the other chain fast food places are great! The people on campus are really great as well. They are super nice and they encourage you to do your best. Receiving housing is really difficult if you don't apply on time and the suites are a little pricey, but very nice. Overall, the campus is great, lively and perfect for a student with my major!

Rocio

To begin with, Cal Poly Pomona is a beautiful campus that makes studying fun and enjoyable when being outdoors. The Library is the best part of this campus because there are many resources available and there is easy access to what you need. The professors are overall great but some lack enthusiasm to teach and that is what students need to have the motivation to learn. Another negative aspect of this school is that it is very antisocial, many f the students are always on their phones when walking around campus making it difficult to interact with them. To add on, the events that are at school are not publicized​ very well because I have a difficult time figuring out when some events are taking place. Cal Poly Pomis is a great school and I encourage students to come to Pomona but this school does need some improvements to get the students more involved.

A lot of people don't think much when they hear about Cal Poly Pomona. But almost every student I've met that currently attends or has attended Cal Poly Pomona are proud of their school and begin to value their place of learning. Our school's motto is "Learn by Doing", which might sound kind of lame, but the school takes it to heart. The school, and their respective professors and faculty, encourage all students in all majors to get hands on experience and take initiative of their learning. Projects and extracurriculars are partaken by almost every student. At Cal Poly Pomona you learn to value your curriculum and education.

Emilio

Cal Poly Pomona is a great school. It is friendly and warm. It has the ease of access anyone looking towards higher education would want. Parking can be a little difficult at times but the class room sizes are ideal for more teacher to student interactions. So far my professors have been awesome, always lending an ear and really to help you out even outside of class times. This school should definitely be at the top of anyones go to list.

Cassandra

California State Polytechnic University is an amazing school! The campus is extremely beautiful with many extracurricular activities available to all students. The incredibly diverse group of students makes everyone feel welcome and included. Cal Poly Pomona is filled with tons of services to ensure that all students succeed in college and in the years to follow.

Blanca

I believe that Cal Poly Pomona is a good school because they focus more on academics and have many activities/events that many students are able to participate in. Although I am not a current student, I will be a part of the incoming freshman of 2019-2020, therefore, I have done my own research and I have been satisfied by what I found on their websites. They also have their social media platforms where more people are able to gain access to more things and it is good for them to have these types of platforms because it is what people tend to use more.

Elijah

While I have only attended my first semester, I really do enjoy many aspects of my campus. I like that I'm at a University that is known for engineering and it really shows because they have many internship, and extracurricular activities and clubs one can get involved In. Some of the professors in my department can difficult to reach, bad at teaching and even discouraging at moments but I'm satisfied with my academics so far. There is plenty to choose from in terms of food on campus, the only gripe I have is that there aren't many vegan options. They just built a brand new gym that i absolutely love going to, they have rock climbing , swimming, martial arts and so much more. I really do look forward to the next two years and hope to make the best of my time on campus!

Evan

It's a great value if you really make the most of it. Our engineering program can run with the big dogs like UCLA but is half the price. I don't recommend this school if your looking for a big social scene, as its pretty non-existent other than greek life.

Monique

I've been at Cal Poly Pomona for over a year now and I could say that the time I have spent there it has been very enjoyable. The campus is massive compared to the previous school I transferred from; and there's so much I have yet to see. What I have experienced so far, I'm thoroughly impressed and proud to be a student at that school. I can't wait for the new semester to begin so I can continue my educational journey and obtain new knowledge that I can use toward my goals.

Skylar

I love it, I actually like going to school now and being around great people and professors. Everyone is so nice and encouraging and it’s my new safe place. The classes are great and there’s always cool events going on. There are so many clubs you can join and endless help with any subject.

Jonathan

Cal Poly Pomona is particularly focused on a learn by doing approach. Its most highly rated and valued majors are in architecture, agriculture, engineering and hospitality management. Other majors include humanities, business administration, science, social sciences, and the arts which still hold value, however, not the most highly rated. It is a campus where there is a tremendous melting pot of diversity and culture. The average classroom size is anywhere between 25-45 students. More than half of the students who attend this university commute by vehicle or public transportation. Academic advisers are friendly and approachable when students have any questions about their academics or on campus extracurricular activities. I highly recommend an adequate plan before enrolling at this university since there is a countless number of applicants on a waiting list who are expecting to be accepted. The main reason I'm recommending an adequate plan has to do with the information that is available out there through people or online. Unfortunately, we are living in a time where education in this country is not at its best point in history. Many of us have already heard through online platforms, mainstream media, and social media that the traditional 4-year college may take longer. Usually the 4-year traditional college is taking 6 years or more as a consequence of a countless number of reasons. Some of the reasons may include: student loans and student debt, a massive pool of applicants consisting of first time freshman and transfer students, and classes wait listed, full or closed as a result of the number of staff and professors that have plummeted over the last years since the recession. Too often, classes may be wait listed, full or closed because of the number of seats that have already been filled by a large number students who are registering for core major classes. Unfortunately, having late registration may end up causing students missing on required courses that need to be completed in order to move on to the next set of classes. Students may also encounter difficulty in registering for classes because they have not met certain prerequisites in order to be enrolled in a particular class of their major. That in turn, causes many students to set back or slow down in their progress toward earning a college degree. Another important reason that is causing college students to take longer is the mistake of taking extra classes or unnecessary classes that don't count toward a degree's course requirements. Course repetition can also interfere in making it to graduation on time whether the norm is 4-6 years depending on the choice of major. However, first time freshman students and transfer students can seek help by utilizing school services that will help and guide them in planning which classes count and need to be taken every quarter or semester of the year so that they stay on track. It is extremely important that students consult with an academic adviser about an adequate plan that will guide them through attaining their degree without difficulty in a step by step approach. One "key" advice is asking for a Graduation Pledge/ 4-year Pledge that may guarantee priority registration for classes in order to graduate in a shorter time period. These are a few good recommendations, that way students will not experience tripping or falling because of the mistakes just mentioned above. I am just one of many former students who went through academic mistakes. I wouldn't be sharing my own academic experience if it was not real like many others. My recommendation is to not repeat the same simple errors of not keeping track of courses and requirements. Visit and seek help from a mentor or academic adviser for major course requirements and academic holds frequently if you have worries, doubts or questions. Remember, there is a saying that says, "A second chance doesn't mean anything if you didn't learn from your first." I wouldn't be sharing all of this if I hadn't learned something from my first mistakes. After all, mistakes are part of learning and being able to share those mistakes with others makes the learning experience even more interesting because now everyone around you has a chance to acknowledge it. Although you may have not known before, they now know about it and the best part of it all is that they are now more aware, prepared and ready for it. Ready for what's next at a university.

Ruth

I think the campus view is beautiful.There are really nice tour guides and just people in general to talk to.Everyone there is very straightforward about what to expect.They have a nice variety of dining places that aren’t too pricey.The size is not too bad considering the huge campus. I really enjoy the school of hospitality they have there.

Jazzmin

I haven’t necessarily visited the school in a while, but now that I’m going to be attending it as an actual student, I can safely say that the school is amazing and it really lives up to the amazingness that’s told by others. Sure there’s people that goof around, but it’s like that for almost all colleges.

Tien Christine

An overall rating of Cal Poly Pomona is a little above average, but definitely has space for improvement. The involvement of students should be encouraged to lead to a more unifying college. The campus is beautiful and they currently expanded it with a new student center building as well as expanding housing options. The school offers a variety of classes and majority of the professors do care about their fellow students.

David

This is my first year in college but so far things have gone well. The professors all teach their respective subjects very nicely and I've had a deeper understanding of music. In addition, I have improved my piano skills by quite a bit as before coming here I have minimal piano experience. I feel safe and despite being away from home, I'm glad to have met people here that are welcoming.

Sanh

I enjoy my campus as there are plenty of activities to do when I am not in class such as going to the BRIC, which is essentially the school's gym and includes a rock-climbing wall. The main campus is also full of life and student activity. The only issue is walking far from class to class, but that's the price to pay for a large campus.

Shannon

As a student that attends Cal Poly Pomona, there are equally pros and cons at this university. When it comes to the structural and technical aspects of the school such as conditions of on-campus housing and food it is quite evident that the school has so much room for greater improvement. The currently available residence halls for non-commuters are very run down and sanitary conditions do not meet satisfactory standards. However, to accommodate this situation the school is actively going under construction for new housing apartments and building that will be available for incoming students in the next 1-2 years. The most intriguing factor of this school is the campus. Although we may seem to be much smaller in comparison to UC schools our campus is very beautiful. Our campus is extremely clean and is beaming with beautiful flowers and plants that really uplift the environment of the school. We have a very astounding rose garden and a small Japanese inspired garden that is unique for its architectural and background aesthetics. When it comes to the professors and faculty at Cal Poly Pomona you can tell that they are individuals that really care about student’s achievement and well-being. Every professor that I have taken had so much passion for teaching us students their area of expertise. Each professor truly has the compassion and heart for every student and really take great consideration that their students achieve success. That being said, I am truly happy to be part of the Bronco family!

Itzel

Cal Poly Pomona is an overall very good school especially on the major departments it is known for like engineering, environmental design, and agriculture. As of Spring of 2019 a lot of sections of the campus have been under construction, so while a lot of the buildings are somewhat outdated there will be a lot of new buildings and resources for future students. My favorite thing about campus is the nature. Since there is a large emphasis on agriculture in Cal Poly Pomona, the campus is surrounded by all forms of agriculture like crops and livestock and even has its very own pumpkin patch.

john

CPP is an OK school. It's literally the definition of average. The food is ok. Social scene is ok. Facilities are ok. Professors and classes depend on your luck. It's extremely hard to get into good professors' classes, they fill up immediately. I had some amazing professors as well as terrible ones. 70% of the time you will not be able to get into the class you want. So be ready to learn everything by yourself through youtube, textbooks etc. The school is also very crowded. You need to arrive the campus before 9am if you want to find a parking spot. The research etc. is very limited. The elective classes etc. are very limited as well. If you are a person with a clear path, this school will work for you. If not, no one will guide you but this is normal for a public school I guess.If you are on financial aid, CPP is a great option for price/performance. If you will live on campus and get no financial aid, it's a harder decision to make.

xavior

I love it here, I am very interested in trying to attend in the fall of 2020. This campus is so beautiful, it is so diverse and it seems like everyone is enjoying themselves, they seem to get a long well with everyone. This place is so amazing, the academics they provide and the name is has for someone is such a credible thing to have. I absolutely love it here and I hope to attend there.

Melanis

It is my first year as a college student, and I can say I love this school. I never knew how much history could be behind our school. I love all of the greenery, the teaching styles, and all of the hands-on experience I receive. The students are very nice so being outgoing makes it the perfect environment to grow professionally and personally in. I can say that this school has made me into the person I am today, with my study skills and personal skills; I love Cal Poly Pomona! At the end of the day, it is your experience, you just need to make the best of it!

Wilbur

I feel as though Cal Poly Pomona, as the students call it, is a very good school with even greater potential. If you are one that just wants to learn and leave, then it is the school for you. If you, however are looking for an exciting and lively experience like movies have lead you to believe college is like, this is not the place for you by a long-shot. It is a bit ironic that it is a big drug and alcohol school but the social life is very little to nonexistent. It is also very expensive hence me applying for scholarships until my fingers fall off.

Beatrice

Cal Poly Pomona is a very beautiful school with a great engineering program. I visited one of their engineering classes and they have so much resources and other things that help a student prepare fir their futures as engineers. Their classes weren’t that big which I think is wonderful because the students can communicate well with professors .

Angel

Overall the school is fine and has such a beautiful ambiance however, I absolutely loathe class registration time due to the fact that they fill up too fast and don't have enough teachers to open more sections for students to get the classes they need.

Jacky

Cal Poly Pomona is a good local school for students from around Los Angeles County. The school is finishing up some new campus amenities like a new recreation center, business school, and parking structures. Campus life can still use some improvement but because it is more of a local school, many students may just go home instead of staying on campus.

JOJO

Cal Poly Pomona is an amazing, diverse school that offers a wide variety of programs that students can choose from. With so many things to do from visiting the Japanese Garden, relaxing at the rose garden, to even feeding ducks; there is so much to do and so many things that the school offers.