Bakersfield, CA
California State University-Bakersfield

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-Bakersfield

Joshua

Depending on the major, the teachers are very good and helpful.

Depending on the major, the teachers are very good and helpful.

The first thing would be to do my best. In the first couple years of school there was potential present, however, the issue was not fully living up to that potential. I would forcefully tell my younger self to truly do my best with everything that I do—school and outside of school. This is where I fell short during my first few years of school wished to correct. The second piece of advice would be to pick the right major. Originally, I began as a Film major and switched to Political Science because of the growing interest that I had in it. Since I was only taking prerequisites and general educational requirements at the time, switching majors did not slow me down but it was important to grow into changing my mind as well as my major. Third, to never give up. There have been times when it would have been tempting to stop. However, my uncle, when we were practicing baseball once, accidently hit me with the ball, said something that stuck with me, “It’s okay to cry, but it wouldn’t be okay to give up.” Giving should not and is not an option.

The knowledge of the teachers and their willingness to go the extra mile for students.

Stephany

My school is a rather small school which helps students get to interact with students, organization and faculty.

In college interacting with people is a very and important aspect. If I were given the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to keep joining clubs and organizations because those social skills i've learned, are very helpful in college. Ive noticed in college that those students that don't try to socialize seem to feel alone and those people often fail their classes because they feel lack of motivation or don't know where to get help when needed. If one gets pride in their school by being involved they will go far in their education.

I felt like I was ready and prepared to attend this University since I did a lot of research before accepting to attend Cal State Bakersfield.

Richard

Classmates are very helpful in the learning process. Students I've met help each other, and myself, to enhance the learning experience. Students display behavior that creates a social and relaxed environment that makes it easy to focus on material being taught. I've witnessed students who know when it is time to be social and when it is time to focus for class. My classmates are always looking to be inclusive and help everybody feel as though they are in a place that they belong.

School is not a burden; Education is something that should be cherished. Take every opportunity to emerse yourself in the material you are being taught. The process of learning will be easier if you realize that it is a chance to evolve into a better person. You will find that you are enjoying this process if you are open to the idea that it is a privelege. Every minute in the classroom is brighter when you have the mindset that you are truly lucky to be there. In addition to realizing that the education is a privelege, you must also realize opportunities don't equate to success. An important ingredient to success is hard work. Seizing opportunities is important, but you have to be willing to put in the work. Going to school is not enough, you have to be willing to put in the hours to make the best out of the opportunity that has been given. If you can take remember that you are lucky to be going to school and give everything that you can you will be proud of the results that you get back. Failure is impossible if you put in the work.

I wish that I would have known that there was no need to be intimidated. Being anxious about what it would be like was one of my worries. Although, after experiencing college I know that there is nothing to be worried about.

Alicia

I have compared California State University, Bakersfield with CSU Northridge and CSU Los Angeles; however, they have different programs as well as services in the major that I am declaring.

I remember myself as a high school senior finishing up my last year and moving on to be prepared for college was my number one opportunity in life, and therefore the transition on doing this was my decision to pursue a degree in Business Administration. In fact, as a graduated from high school, I attended Antelope Valley College as a first-time freshman and excelled in my courses academically and thinking how my college life would be like was brilliant and also making the transition wasn't very easy for me and my family. I will go back in time as a high school senior completing my academic classes for graduation and finishing up my Senior Project with my mentor, who assisted me on my transition about how college would be like when I get there, but it wasn't easier but much harder and challenging. My advice for other disabled students who are planning to attend college, the opportunities are out there if you use the resources and services that your counselors give you once I started my freshman year in high school to completing my senior year. Finally, another advice I will give myself is not give up.

I wish that California State University, Bakersfield was the only one four-year school that I have chosen because they have the business program there to pursue a bachelor's degree in Business Administration. Before I came to Bakersfield, I have been doing some research online about their services, resources, financial aid, and degree programs that pursue my special interest in completing my education and beyond. Since I came to this college, I have spoke to advisors from the university, and they offered positive feedback on the application process along with special circumstances with my learning disability program.

kay

If I had the chance to travel back in time and meet myself as a young enthusiastic 18 year older I would admonish her to perfect the skill of listening. I would tell her not to talk so much, because she doesn't have any of the answers. I would tell her getting into college is one thing, but getting out with a useful degree takes a plan. I would tell her that she doesn't have the time she thinks she has. I would tell her life will change her, and what she knows to be black and white today, will change to strange shades of gray; leaving her hurt, broken and confused. It's hard to dream of a better tommorrow when you are broken, I know because that is what I am/we are doing now. But here's the good news. I know I will suceed-that's the miracle of pain, it causes you to focus on anything but the pain. And focus is what it takes to be successful.

Consertive white males, going into law enforcement.

African American males who want to finanically advance in life.

Asia

I would tell myself to chose carefully. It is not always about moving far away from home, but it's about the environment that makes you feel comfortable.

How small it was, how rude the acts, and how everyone provides a mean look at each other.

Nothing at all. I brag about how happy I get to leave that school, and city in general.

Ellen

Since I take mainly online classes, because I work full time, I interact with students from all over the country. It is a neat experience because there are students from all walks of life, diverse opinions one can appreciate. Even though we do not meet face to face we encourage one another, help each other with assignments and form a strong bond through voicing our points of view. This fall I will take my first campus class at Cal State Bakersfield and I'm looking forward to what that has to offer.

I'm 52 years old and tranferring to a university after receiving my AA degree 14 years ago. I would want to myself that without a college degree you will struggle financially and not have many options for a career. I would also tell myself to focus on the future not the boys in Biology class, even though you just lost your dad in 8th grade life will go on and you can choose to go on with a positive attitude or stand still and pity yourself (which is what I did). Since you did not have parental support your counselor could be your best ally and take what he says and do it. Don't listen to the voices in your head that tell you you are not smart enough to go to college, you are just as good as the average person. Having dyslexia can be overcome with hard work, desire and determination.

Cynthia

My school is best known for dedication. Students put all their dedication in their work because they know how important school work and receiving their degree is.

I was only a freshmen in highschool when my mother past away, it was difficult to stay focus in school. By the time I was a senior, lifewas getting more difficult because I come from a low income family and I thought I couldnt afford college. The advice I wuld give my self or some incoming college students would be regardless of your family income, just dont giver up in school cause theres a lot of help out there.

People who have the desire to receive their degrre in theire major/s. Also people who have a goal set for their future and ready to accomplish it.

California State University of Bakersfield is one very large family!

California State University of Bakersfield is one very large family!

Go into college with an open mind. Let people see the best side of you. It is your chance to have a new beginning, so remember that you can be a better person, you can be anyone you want to be. College is a time to grow and a time to change, so get out there and don't be scared!

I brag the most about how much this community supports the academic and athletic side of things. The teams give back so much to the community and they give back with their support! I could brag all day about how great the surrounding community is when it comes to CSUB.

California State University-Bakersfield administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.