Bakersfield, CA
California State University-Bakersfield

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-Bakersfield

The school isn't the fanciest or the best but it does give you the best bang for your buck. I believe that the ease of not having to worry about finances gives you less stress. You really get what you give. I would say that CSUB also varies between majors. Some majors have much more funding than others and are more active. Others aren't as great a program as you'd get elsewhere. I know that a popular major is nursing and the surrounding fields. Sports are fairly big and the Rec center is the greatest thing since slice bread! The equipment may not be as up-to-date in your program as you'd expect and parking is awful. Sometimes the teachers are bad too and sometimes the teachers are great. (Go to ratemyprofessor.com to learn about which classes are easy and what to expect in the class). Good or bad, the school wants you to succeed and they help when you reach out so use your resources! You are paying for them after all. Finally, this school also treats you like an actual college student and doesn't baby you. Which I truly appreciate.

It all depends on the perspective and where you are. At CSUB other UC's or even CalState's see this school as less than them. Our school sucks in their eyes. In the eyes of Bakersfield College we are like attending a UC. It's all for the idea of the budget. CSUB does not have fancy technology or fancy classrooms and the like but we do have opportunities which is ultimately what you want/need in a college. These accusations are neither true nor untrue. We suck at some aspects but we make it up in other parts of our school. Ultimately, this school is one where you make your own future and it is open ended. It gives you opportunities to succeed, you just need to take the plunge and get involved.

The students at this school are 50/50. Some are kind and nice. Others can be complete douches, annoying and are not very friendly. When I first entered this school I got a lot of waves and greetings but as I continued, people stopped smiling and stopped being as friendly. The hello's also became empty whenever they did come around. My advice is to find a group to hang out with or even just one friend who will introduce you to others and open doors for you. Even a professor. It's a big school so there is a chance you will find the right group but it will mainly be within your major. I have met some incredible people here but the magic died when we finished class and now only see each other and wave to each other before we go on our merry ways. In your major, the connections you make and the people you connect with matter. If you join a sport, a sorority/fraternity or star in a play then you can find another chance at making relationships with people of different majors. I have even seen friendships formed from joining choir and/or orchestra (even though the programs are very small). Overall, the students aren't super friendly as they come into this school with friends but there are some that are willing to meet new people. Go to those and make friends!

There is general education requirements and there is a lot of them! It's easy to stay on track as you can take summer courses to get ahead and finish your GenEd in two years. Your major also depends on how many GenEd you can take, so keep in mind that it may take longer. Moving forward, in my major everything was too fast paced for me as we had 10 weeks to learn as much as we could. I really did give up quality for quantity. I felt like I didn't learn deep enough in some of the courses that regard my field which truly bothers me. I don't care so much about the GenEd because although they can be interesting and help me in different ways, they won't be the major source of income for me in the future. This may change with the semester system, however. That being said, I hope that the quality of work produced by students also improves. I cannot tell you how many times I have read or seen papers turned in that are grammatically incorrect, make no sense rationally and look like only five minutes was spent working on the paper. It's really frustrating and does not represent our school well. Furthermore, the professors are generally on top of things but every now and again you will stumble upon the professor who expects too much and/or is too sloppy. Overall, academics are EXTREMELY important and will get you continued help, continued support and continued love. Trust me, if you don't do well academically the school does not give you opportunities to succeed and will put you on academic probation where you'll have to take community college classes to get back in. They will also treat you like you don't exist as they do not want to worry about students who do not worry about their grades. THIS IS COLLEGE PEOPLE!!! You should worry. On the other spectrum, if you are an honors student you get priority registration, specific scholarship opportunities and a major focus on you. Basically you need to show them what you can do and they will make things happen for you. Hopefully this gives you an idea about the school's academics.

This school is small and has a very good faculty in my program. Everyone is kind and they really do care about your success. They push you to the limit which is new for me and I'm thankful for that. The school is also super affordable to the point where I actually get paid to attend and it offers many opportunities to get involved just as long as you maintain a satisfactory GPA. This school is perfect for those looking into a medical field.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to invest in my future. Although leaving home may be difficult and it may be easier to go the safe route that doesn't mean that it's the route you should take. You need to grow personally and spiritually. Don't take opportunities that fall into place for granted. Jump at any opportunity you are given to try new things. It's not hard to adjust to college life, especially with a person who enjoys studying in the first place. You just need to gain self-confidence and push yourself to reach new heights. So what if you're parents don't approve. This is your life and you need to stand up for what you want otherwise you'll never get it. Be brave and utilize the gifts you were given. Use your talents to help others and don't be afraid to ask for help yourself.

A person who is looking to major in an artistic field such as design, acting, and general music. This school mainly equips those who are looking to become teachers, medical professionals, professors, phsychologist, and any other practical job within the area the university is located in.

Joshua

Depending on the major, the teachers are very good and helpful.

Depending on the major, the teachers are very good and helpful.

The first thing would be to do my best. In the first couple years of school there was potential present, however, the issue was not fully living up to that potential. I would forcefully tell my younger self to truly do my best with everything that I do—school and outside of school. This is where I fell short during my first few years of school wished to correct. The second piece of advice would be to pick the right major. Originally, I began as a Film major and switched to Political Science because of the growing interest that I had in it. Since I was only taking prerequisites and general educational requirements at the time, switching majors did not slow me down but it was important to grow into changing my mind as well as my major. Third, to never give up. There have been times when it would have been tempting to stop. However, my uncle, when we were practicing baseball once, accidently hit me with the ball, said something that stuck with me, “It’s okay to cry, but it wouldn’t be okay to give up.” Giving should not and is not an option.

The knowledge of the teachers and their willingness to go the extra mile for students.

Stephany

My school is a rather small school which helps students get to interact with students, organization and faculty.

In college interacting with people is a very and important aspect. If I were given the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to keep joining clubs and organizations because those social skills i've learned, are very helpful in college. Ive noticed in college that those students that don't try to socialize seem to feel alone and those people often fail their classes because they feel lack of motivation or don't know where to get help when needed. If one gets pride in their school by being involved they will go far in their education.

I felt like I was ready and prepared to attend this University since I did a lot of research before accepting to attend Cal State Bakersfield.

Richard

Classmates are very helpful in the learning process. Students I've met help each other, and myself, to enhance the learning experience. Students display behavior that creates a social and relaxed environment that makes it easy to focus on material being taught. I've witnessed students who know when it is time to be social and when it is time to focus for class. My classmates are always looking to be inclusive and help everybody feel as though they are in a place that they belong.

School is not a burden; Education is something that should be cherished. Take every opportunity to emerse yourself in the material you are being taught. The process of learning will be easier if you realize that it is a chance to evolve into a better person. You will find that you are enjoying this process if you are open to the idea that it is a privelege. Every minute in the classroom is brighter when you have the mindset that you are truly lucky to be there. In addition to realizing that the education is a privelege, you must also realize opportunities don't equate to success. An important ingredient to success is hard work. Seizing opportunities is important, but you have to be willing to put in the work. Going to school is not enough, you have to be willing to put in the hours to make the best out of the opportunity that has been given. If you can take remember that you are lucky to be going to school and give everything that you can you will be proud of the results that you get back. Failure is impossible if you put in the work.

I wish that I would have known that there was no need to be intimidated. Being anxious about what it would be like was one of my worries. Although, after experiencing college I know that there is nothing to be worried about.

Alicia

I have compared California State University, Bakersfield with CSU Northridge and CSU Los Angeles; however, they have different programs as well as services in the major that I am declaring.

I remember myself as a high school senior finishing up my last year and moving on to be prepared for college was my number one opportunity in life, and therefore the transition on doing this was my decision to pursue a degree in Business Administration. In fact, as a graduated from high school, I attended Antelope Valley College as a first-time freshman and excelled in my courses academically and thinking how my college life would be like was brilliant and also making the transition wasn't very easy for me and my family. I will go back in time as a high school senior completing my academic classes for graduation and finishing up my Senior Project with my mentor, who assisted me on my transition about how college would be like when I get there, but it wasn't easier but much harder and challenging. My advice for other disabled students who are planning to attend college, the opportunities are out there if you use the resources and services that your counselors give you once I started my freshman year in high school to completing my senior year. Finally, another advice I will give myself is not give up.

I wish that California State University, Bakersfield was the only one four-year school that I have chosen because they have the business program there to pursue a bachelor's degree in Business Administration. Before I came to Bakersfield, I have been doing some research online about their services, resources, financial aid, and degree programs that pursue my special interest in completing my education and beyond. Since I came to this college, I have spoke to advisors from the university, and they offered positive feedback on the application process along with special circumstances with my learning disability program.

kay

If I had the chance to travel back in time and meet myself as a young enthusiastic 18 year older I would admonish her to perfect the skill of listening. I would tell her not to talk so much, because she doesn't have any of the answers. I would tell her getting into college is one thing, but getting out with a useful degree takes a plan. I would tell her that she doesn't have the time she thinks she has. I would tell her life will change her, and what she knows to be black and white today, will change to strange shades of gray; leaving her hurt, broken and confused. It's hard to dream of a better tommorrow when you are broken, I know because that is what I am/we are doing now. But here's the good news. I know I will suceed-that's the miracle of pain, it causes you to focus on anything but the pain. And focus is what it takes to be successful.

Consertive white males, going into law enforcement.

African American males who want to finanically advance in life.

Asia

I would tell myself to chose carefully. It is not always about moving far away from home, but it's about the environment that makes you feel comfortable.

How small it was, how rude the acts, and how everyone provides a mean look at each other.

Nothing at all. I brag about how happy I get to leave that school, and city in general.

Ellen

Since I take mainly online classes, because I work full time, I interact with students from all over the country. It is a neat experience because there are students from all walks of life, diverse opinions one can appreciate. Even though we do not meet face to face we encourage one another, help each other with assignments and form a strong bond through voicing our points of view. This fall I will take my first campus class at Cal State Bakersfield and I'm looking forward to what that has to offer.

I'm 52 years old and tranferring to a university after receiving my AA degree 14 years ago. I would want to myself that without a college degree you will struggle financially and not have many options for a career. I would also tell myself to focus on the future not the boys in Biology class, even though you just lost your dad in 8th grade life will go on and you can choose to go on with a positive attitude or stand still and pity yourself (which is what I did). Since you did not have parental support your counselor could be your best ally and take what he says and do it. Don't listen to the voices in your head that tell you you are not smart enough to go to college, you are just as good as the average person. Having dyslexia can be overcome with hard work, desire and determination.

California State University-Bakersfield administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.