Carson, CA
California State University-Dominguez Hills

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-Dominguez Hills

Kaitlyn

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior ,the advice I would give myself is to listen to my parents! I was at that age where my parents advice pertaining to my friends and then boyfriend, was the type of advice that I did not want to listen to. They were able to see what type of people they were and did not want me around them. I was very defiant and thought I knew who my friends were and of course in the end I learned the hard way. The people I once called my best friends I hardly keep in contact , and my ex boyfriend turned into a loser who is currently going nowhere in life. To this day, my parents still insist that it is important to surround myself with successful people, because I then will have the drive and perserverance to become a successful person. By going through this ordeal, it was easier to get out of the small town that I grew up in and become accepted into a school outside my comfort zone. By doing this, hopefully I will walk away with a life long friend!

I wish I would have taken classes that were transferable from my junior college to CSUDH. This would have saved me time and money. Classes at a Junior college are inexpensive compared to the uprising costs at a university. By taking more classes at a Junior college, I am able to transfer more credits over and be able to graduate as planned if not sooner.

The kind of person who enjoys a small campus and has the ability to interact with classmates and their teachers on a more personal level. One will be able to enjoy a clean and safe campus and be able to join the many different clubs that CSUDH offers. The campus is most known for their athletic department and the soccer team has captured the NCAA D-II National Championship. Even better, the Galaxy soccer team has their stadium right next door to the campus!! CSUDH is a great start to a lifetime of success!

Mallory

I would have to stress the importance of mainting my grades and reasearching schools. You dont have to settle for the closest school near you just because of the cost oe because you dont think your good enough, it may not be easy but when there is a will there is a way. It is also not as scary as you would think it is and there are many clubs to join that help you in your study feild and are fun at the same time. It is a not like any experience you have had before, there are option for every aspect of intrest you have. Take advantage of any programs offered to you, thats what they are there for. Dont be afraid to aim high because dreams do come true if you are willing to make way for them. Finally, it is where you will truly find yourself and who you are.

Amy

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to be afraid. Embrace the challenge. It is much harder to go back to school when you have a family and job that you have to juggle, as well as school. Explore, travel, see new things. It is alright to make mistakes. College is when you are supposed to find yourself, and grow as a person. If you don't attempt this you will never know what you are missing. Now that I am older I realize that I cheated myself out of a wonderful experience. Stay focused. It is a time to grow, but if you don't stay disciplined, you will still miss out. Take advantage of all life has to offer. Even though I cannot go back in time I can now share all of this knowledge with my own children. Hopefully this advice will help them when they begin their college life.

Nkechi

My school is extremely diverse, in that people from around the world attend. In being surounded by differences it makes others more open and embracing of others.

If I could go back and talk to the high school senior version of me, I would tell myself to work hard. I would warn that at times things get hard, but it will be worth it. I would especially tell the younger me to make better friends, and ignore the people who discourage me from studying or make fun of my drive. At the end of it all my success has exceded my wildest dreams, and the hard work is worth it.

The only problem with my school is minor, the parking is horrible. There are not enough parking spots in the lots, and the lots are not a close distance to campus.

Apriana

Be a well-rounded person. College life is very diverse. Dominque Hills is the most diverse University in California. Many people come from areas where they only see their own race. College life is different in the way that everyone is not going to look like you. Students and teachers come from various backrounds and religions. Being able to get along with everyone and understand most will definately help you in your college experience. You will be able to participate in more such as fraternities and soroities and clubs.

I wish that i would have known to buy my textbooks online. I spents hundredes of dollars at the bookstore buying books that i needed for classes, but in reality i could have got a new or used book for half price on amazon.com.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that if you do not register for classes the first two weeks that you can start to register, it is hard to get into classes. Because my school had many class cuts, more students are getting the same classes, and they are too small for every student to be in. Some people are on a wait list, and some wont know until 3 weeks into the class if they are finally in the class or not. Its stresfull and an overwhelming process.

Christina

I'm attending California State University Dominguez Hills. I love the environment and the how the Professor's are, they seem to be very dedicated in giving there student's greater and higher education, and that to me is the most important thing. One word to describe my school is: Diverse. There's every type of race, and that i love. I wanted to be able to explore different cultures, and backgrounds.

If i could go back to High School, and talk to myself i would. I would tell myself not to worry to much, to just be confident in myself. I would have research more schools, and applied to more. I would tell myself that a higher education is the right, and the Best thing there is out there. Also i would tell myself you only live once, take chances, in things you believe in. And to be confident within yourself.

I'm attending California State University Dominguez Hills, theres really nothing worst about it, its a great school i recomended. But for me the worsest thing about it is the commuting i make everyday. I commute forty miles a day, and after a while that can be very difficult. But im not giving up, i'm determined to make it, and dedicated on making it work.

Breanna

The most important advice that I would give to myself is to take my education seriously. In high school, there are so many activities you can be involved in and it is easy to stray away of your purpose in school. I was on the Varsity Basketball team for all four years, and I let it take over my life. I put basketball first and school second. I became lazy and only made good enough grades so that I could play basketball. I was selfish, and if I could go back I would have focused more on my school work. Also, I would have told myself to apply for scholarships. My parents would ask me everyday, "Have you applied for scholarships?" And my answer would always be, "I will get to them later." I always had an excuse and I never filled out any scholarships. I say all this to say that if I would have known the cost of attending these universities, I would have made it my duty to fill out as many scholarships as possible. I do not regret some of the decisions i have made because ultimately they have made me a stronger and wiser person.

I believe any person should attend my school. I am a transfer student, and California State University Dominguez Hills has made me feel very welcome. If I must answer the question I would say if you are not a motivated and driven person, you should not attend my school or any school. In college everything is at your own pace so it is easy to become lazy. You are now an adult and the professors are going to treat you like one. My advice is to set goals so that you will remain focosed and on the right track.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there is not enough staff working in the financial aid office. When ever I go in there, there are only two people working with the students and on some days there is only one person working with the students. I have waited for over an hour just to speak with a financial aid officer. This is probably due to budget cuts. I personally feel they are under-staffed, and it is causing the students to wait for hours.

CASANDRA

My school is unique because it is a predominantly black and hispanic school. It is also unique because it embraces all different cultures and people from all walks of life.

I would tell myself is to apply for every scholarship that I qualified for because college is expensive. I ended up having to transfer from my first choice school to the college I attend now because my parents couldn?t afford the 37,000 yearly tuition cost. Secondly I would tell myself how important it is to know who you are as a person and know where you stand ethically and morally. People will try to change you as a person and it?s important to not be swayed negatively throughout your college matriculation. I would also remind myself to not settle for less in life and that applies to everything and even relationships. I decided to go to college all the way on the other side of the US and continue my relationship with someone who hadn?t been giving me what I needed even before I left for school. I ended up wasting my time on something I knew that wasn?t fulfilling while I could have been enjoying the whole college experience and meeting new people. Freshmen year of college is one of the most important times of your life, so lately take a lot of pictures.

I feel anyone who isn't open-minded or who isn't used to being around people of all different ethnicities and cultures. I feel that this school is for those who are open to change.

Adriana

One thing that i would tell my self is to not procrastinate. Another thing that would be important for me to know would be to find information as to what classes i should/could take that could count for both my major and the GE's. Aside from that i would say use all the things that you learned from AVID, because all that will help alot with things.

The one thing that i wish i could have known is what classes i could have taken that would count for my major as well as my G.E's. I feel like i would have made alot more progress if i would have known this information.

anyone can attend Dominguez Hills

Bianca

California State University, Dominguez Hills is known for having a diverse student population and a small campus with growing relations with professors .

The advice I would give myself as a high school student would be retire the blackbook, hang up the stilettos, and open the text books. As an average high school student I worried about the latest parties and the cutest boys. College was a taboo word for me. I used the word "can't" a lot. Although I tried attending community college I was never focused on the books but on the boys. Fourteen years later I am a poor, single mother with three children attending college. If I can go back in time I will tell myself that " I CAN" do anything I want in life. Boys will come and go but education will be forever!

A person who is unsure if they can succeed in life. A person who uses the word "can't" more than usual. This person will grow and believe in themselves. They will eventually replace the word "I can't" with "I CAN".

California State University-Dominguez Hills administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.