California State University-Dominguez Hills Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California State University-Dominguez Hills

Dayane

California State University - Dominguez Hills is full of opportunities. Students who strive for success look for the clubs, organizations and programs around campus. As a current biology major programs such a STEM scholars, part-time stockroom worker, and the pre-health club were available. There are multiple jobs opportunities on-campus and off-campus including, but not limited to tutoring K-12 students near local Compton school districts, Supplemental Instructor positions, and reasearch opportunities variying on the major. Additionally, this commuter university has beneficial opportunities that advise and support various career paths. Advising in classes and various workshops of leadership/tips for success are provided by several departments throughout the semester for enrolled students. Overall, a student’s venture for success in this university becomes whatever the student make of it.

Phillip

I love my school, can’t get no better. Once a toro, always a toro

Morgan

Although I think this is a good school, they do not have my major of nursing. The professors I currently have are great and the library is a great resource. The campus has a great feel and environment. The campus is not too large which is nice when it comes to having to walk to and from classes.

Yuka

My opinion of CSUDH is that this school has many opportunities for students and it has a friendly community. They have professors that are always available to students whether it is through email, office hours, or in class. Students also respect other people and the professor and staff members.

Gabriel

The school has some new buildings and is being continually improved. The facilities are ok but like I said they continue to improve. There is a lot to do around the school as it is a short drive to the beaches and many other attractions. The faculty is great for the most part.

Jesse

I don't like housing because the staff, who work there, are lazy and don't apply to students with special needs

Anahy

Since the first day I came into this university it felt great. I achieved one of my families long dreams. The classes aren't so crowded which allow the teachers to focus on students more and so far everyone has been really nice. They're are some activities on campus but not as much as I thought it would be when I was picturing the "college life". I dorm and so far I get along great with my roommates and we are all always laughing. So far Dominguez Hills has been a pretty great school.

The school is really boring not much to do especially since it's a commuter school most activities are done during class hours so not really into any activities or it's too late in the day it's always quiet and lonely. I don't really recommend for students who have a high expectation of college life

Monique

My overall opinion of the school is that it isn't like any CSU I've been to. It's not very big which I like I feel like I can get my way through without getting lost so much. Things are easily to be found once you know your way. Everyone is just about helpful and informing of the school.

Donye

California State University Dominguez Hills is one of the schools I feel where they make your education their priority. They offer this summer bridge program for incoming freshman students for Math and English to help students catch up on the skills and prepare them for college level courses which cost about $3000 for the 6 week program but the school covers it so no money would come out the students pocket. Not many Cal States offer this opportunity. So I am happy to be part of the Toro family.

Ivette

Its a great school, everything is easy to find and near by which makes student living so much better. I feel safe and comfortable being at school which is a huge bonus for me and the teachers I have had so far have been helpful and amazing. Makes the college experience better than anticipated.

Sorayda

It’s a great campus and I enjoy the field trip when I went to Dominguez Hills. I think this was the first campus I visited and I really liked it. The university is very clean and organized. The only negative thing I heard was that the academy is not that good.

Juliette

CSUDH is a great school to attend.

Nikia

Dominquez Hills is a positive environment where students and teachers are respectful of different backgrounds, schools. I love the culture at this school because you can learn about different people different backgrounds. I can into this school with a few barriers with my grammar and writing but the school have workshops that can help you and they're really helpful and friendly. This school is my second home a lot of long days and nights here working my best with school work I like how they extend the study hours during exam week.

Destiny

Overall, I love Dominguez! It is a fun school and it is filled with tons of community. If you’re far away from home the people will make you feel as if you went back. I do wish there were more fun things to do outside of campus though. Besides that Dominguez is a great school to attend and i fell in love!

Janessa

I stayed there twice for a leadership camp. The campus itself is not very nature-filled and is mostly buildings with some trees. The facilities seem pretty nice from the outside, though i did not get the chance to see inside many classrooms. Overall, it is a nice school, just not right for me.

Crystal

This is university is a small campus. There are also small classes where students and professors get to know one another. The university is very diverse and there are events that celebrate many types of cultures. There are decent prices of food and books!

Yvette

I love my school. There is so much diversity and the teachers care about their students and give them the best education possible. I feel welcomed at my school and have made friends easily. People are so helpful and there are many places to hang out in between classes.

Luisalberto

Dominguez Hills is what you can expect from a public school that has little funding. You have a small college feel almost like a community college. There are some teachers that truly care about the academics but then there are some teachers who just look like they are going for the paycheck. However, most of the students at this campus have little to no motivation on trying their best in class.

Alexa

Cal State Dominguez Hills provided me a very safe environment. It helped me make a great transition from high school to first time college student. Cal State Dominguez Hills is an amazing school with plenty of amazing opportunities for everyone. It’s also a very diverse school and diverse cultures. I love this school and I’m glad I chose Cal State Dominguez Hills

susy

I received my bachelor’s degree in child development form CSUDH and have returned for my teaching credentials. There are many reasons why I initially chose this school and even more why which I have returned. The culture of the school, the organization of the programs, the climate faculty members give are all what makes this the perfect school for me. Many people call this school a commuter school because most students commute to school from work or home. In all classes, you find students of varying ages and backgrounds. In any one class, you can find a mixture high school graduates, students in their mid-20s, 30s, 40s and beyond. There is no feeling of being too old or too young when entering a classroom. Students are there because they want to learn and support one another in their educational experience. Each program is organized in a way that matches the student’s needs. If not enough courses are open to accommodate all students, new sections get opened. Program requirements are very clear. There is excellent communication to all students from faculty members. Students are challenged in the classroom to help them the learn. Teaching methods are updated with new technology. Small class sizes in different programs allow for students to get close and form friendships that go beyond the classroom. All faculty give students a sense of support and warmth. Advisors, professors, deans, etc. are all really friendly, reliable, always available, and they truly want their students to succeed. Professors go above and beyond to give students the best learning experience. Advisors are very knowledgeable and answer all questions students have. I am twenty-five years old, mother of two, wife, full time education employee and a student. CSUDH is the right school for me. Like most students I am a commuter student, I love how the programs are well organized, the faculty make me feel supported and the campus itself is very welcoming. Go Toros!

Sarahy

It is a small school but to me that is the best part. You can come to old and current professors for advice and the advisors themselves are available to all students. The staff is very direct about any situation you may have and they also help you with whatever it is you need to do. I love this school very much because they are open to all people. They are very welcoming and are willing to do what they can to make this campus a safe and learning society.

jessica

It is a great school with many opportunities that will help student succeed in their academic life. The campus is very nice and the staff seems extremely helpful to all students and visitors. There are also many activities students can join such as clubs, sports and events that the university makes.

Maria

It has great whether. Everyone is so friendly. Has a diverse population. The food options are healthy.

California State University- Dominguez Hills offers a large variety of helpful options. The university makes it easy to access any help that is needed with any subject that can either relate to academics or not relate to academics. The environment of CSUDH is very welcoming to anybody and everybody.

Grecia

CSUDH is a great school with several opportunities for student to succeed. It is also a very diverse university which allows us to learned from one another.

Chantal

It is a very small campus with a lot of diversity. This is the perfect school for people who work full time or who have families. The school is known for having a great Business program and they have recently invested money in a new library and STEM building.

Our school is great for getting to class within 5 minutes. Class sizes are the best. One on one teaching in office hours are easily accessible. Tutoring services to help the students succeed are always available. there are numerous programs to help the students. This school even has connections with the surrounding community to help k-12 students get a great education. It is an over-all great school.

Helen

It has a great community. It's main purpose is for students to find themselves and to identify their strengths. They are extremely helpful. We have a large number of clubs and orgs on campus. Professor are willing to help. Free tutoring sessions for college students. People very friendly. A very diverse school.

Nelson

I like that it's close by and they offer my mayor. They really stress getting an internship. They have a good study abroad program. They have job fairs. Parking is ok most of time. They could improve on some buildings but overall it's a good, semi big school.

Corrina

The school is very diverse and open to everyone. The professors and students are very friendly and willing to lend a hand to you. Class sizes are fairly reasonable compared to class room size. The food taste great and the prices are reasonable. Lots of involvedment with clubs and programs.

Janelly

Great school. Love the ambiance! Ever since day one I felt like I belonged there. The two years that I have been attending there, I have never encountered or heard of any situations that have threatened anyone's safety which was my biggest concern when looking for a University.

SHAUNDEISHA

California State University Dominguez Hills is a great school. The campus is always clean, I attending classes at night so it's very important that as a female I feel safe. I walk to class and it's well lit, there are people still walking along the campus as the dismissal times just line up so I don't ever feel alone. Park lot attendants are cool and always available to help. I like that. The campus is in a good location for my life and the class times fit me working during the day, I am still able to take 12 units of night classes without having to worry about not having the classes available I need for my major. It feels like I'm getting a quality education and I like that feeling. There are a lot of resources and clubs to make you feel like your needs can be met and you get the opportunity to be social. There are sports activities to be a part of, or just go to see when you need a break. I love our dining area. There's a little bit of everything a college student would enjoy. The environment is diverse. I've met some amazing people here. Their friendly, kind and although our cultures sometimes differ, I find myself having a lot in common with my classmates. Lately, I've enjoyed learning in all my classes. My professors have been available when needed and even those who have other day time careers still put in a great effort to be there. I made the right choice in choosing to attend California State University Dominguez Hills.

Brooklynn

CSUDH is such an inviting campus. The academics are challenging. We are here to learn and get an education as well as have a social life. Each student will have to complete an internship before graduation which is awesome because you will get a feel for your career. We also have many opportunities to study abroad. We have so many resources here for students. We have have free tutoring. We are a Division II for athletics. All our athletics participate in community service events. Currently the Los Angeles Chargers play in our stadium until their stadium is complete. It is not all seriousness on our campus. We do know how to have fun. We have numerous Greek life to choose from if that is your thing. If you choose CSUDH you will not regret it! Horns up!

Kristin

I think this school has a lot of potential -however, it is in desperate need of an upgrade. A lot of the facilities are outdated -and a lot of the equipment in lab either don't work or provide inaccurate data. In addition, the staff needs an upgrade as well -a lot of the professors seem confused or out of touch with teaching in the classroom.

Yesenia

This is my first semester at USCDH, and I'm very happy to be here. This is a completely good school for everyone who lives near it. It has a good atmosphere that makes you feel comfortable, classes are not full, teachers are always available, etc. I am very happy in my school University of Dominguez Hills.

Dominguez Hills is a great school my sister graduated from there and she said really good things about the school so it made me want to become a fellow toro myself! They have great teachers, tutors, and mentors. Honestly, they’re so helpful which was a big deal for my sister and my self. I usually have a lot of questions and concerns dealing school and there is always someone to help. It’s also really diverse so if someone feels that they wanna be around different people Dominguez hills is the right school for you! GO TOROS!!

Veronica

In my personal opinion, I believe that Dominguez Hills is a school that really encourages the student and makes them feel valued. Before I was even accepted into the school, I could already sense that there were people who wanted to see me succeed. There are open resources available for everyone, and there are many people on campus that are ready you lend a helping hand in homework and health. Because it is a small campus, it feels a lot safer, including the fact that at any moment you can call for an escort so that you do not have to walk from campus to the dorms, or even through the parking lot, alone. There is always something happening at school, and it isn't too hard to navigate the school. Overall, I love this school, and I am very thankful and proud to be part of the Toro Nation.

School staff is accessible however long waiting times to speak with counselors. Campus security always on site. School campus is segregated from school, does not seem to have much night life. Small clubs to join, I did not witness much school spirit.

Aminah

This school offers a lot of opportunities to students as far as internships and jobs, however the food options are not the best. If they had better food options than it would be a better school.The staff is nice; at least most of them are nice, a couple okay. However with every school you are bound to have a couple of staff that are just okay that's just human nature. From my experience the professors that I had my first semester were very supportive and actually cared. The students are okay: some are friendly , some are not, some just keep to themselves, as stated before people will be people.In addition students care more about completing college more than anything else. Lastly this school has a diverse population.

Oscar

I like the culture at California State University- Dominguez Hills, It feels as it was meant for me to take. I had family go there and talk about how they had great experiences in the school. A teacher I looked up too went there and so I went to visit and it felt right for me to go. The students were helpful to me on the tour and very nice. It is what I look forward to becoming a Toro soon.

Michelle

My overall opinion of my school is that its amazing. Its not usually in the conversation when thinking most talked about CSUs but it is a beautiful hidden wonder. The scenery is great because of the greenery and how modern the buildings look. Its not a new school but it also isn't an old school. Its enough and more than enough for my education and for aesthetics.

eunice

I truly believe that this Univeristy is great not only academic wise but becuase of the spirtit and unity that all students show, the campus is very clean and quiet and the fasalties that they have are really nice and big. The teachers seemed very nice and supportive about the students plan career and they are very helpful and try to work with the students. I am extremly in love with this school and hope to attend next year to this awsome family.

Ryan

I love this school. It had always been a dream to come and apply to this school. From the campus to housing to classes and to the students and staff it is an enjoyable space and environment where you can come and create friends and a community. I would always recommend this school to anyone for a small and nice space to learn and enjoy.

Edward

CSUDH has a small campus compared to other Universities however it really tries to dedicate it's resources towards their students. I believe that most students that attend CSUDH are focus driven and have an academic goal in mind. If there are students who are looking for a college that isn't big and is wanting to focus on a specific study/program that the college offers, then I believe that CSUDH is a perfect choice.

Andrea

It is my second year in Cal State Dominguez Hills. I got a low GPA in my first year because I had a part-time job. My first year in CSUDH is not a pleasant experience. I know I can’t do multitasking. However, I still did multitask between school and work because I need pocket money. In the end, I learned to focus on school then contribute to society after I graduate. As a first year, I realized not to do any part-time job unless I am doing good for any quizzes or exams. On my second semester, I always go to the library to do my assignments. All the classes are expensive, but the GE courses are accessible. The major courses depend on the student how well he or she doing in the class. The professor might be a tough grader, but it’s up with the students how they are going to improve. There is old and new library connected. The new building is on the left side where the cafe area. The library is open before and during the finals week until 2 a.m. I spent the rest of my daily study during the final exam. It also helps me to finish my assignment on time. I always go to the fourth floor where the quiet area. When I run out of the water, the campus has refillable water located in the library and Loker Student Union building. Their computers and student appliances are modern. There is not much fast food restaurant in the Loker Student Union. I hope they can invest more in student food. The school has a good book store, not only books, school supplies, art materials, snacks, and technology appliances. Sometimes after I eat my lunch, I buy snacks to restore my energy. Right now they are working on two new building across the library and the front of the campus. It will encourage the student to stay and study onto the new building. There is not much space for on-campus housing. The housing department would delete the student housing application if the student didn’t pay the $30 fee. I contact the housing department about four times already, but they are slow on analyzing my housing application. I went to the school housing dorm, but outside is not enticing to look at. The outside feels I went to the agricultural grass field. The school is an excellent place to study. I am not sure about on-campus housing.

Paola

This school has any resources and every major has an opportunity to internship. There are programs to help the low income, many clubs to enjoy. Housing is quite nice they always make happen so residents feel at home, there is also a free food pantry.

alejandro

When i went to Dominguez Hills my impressions looked at the sate of the school very clean and organized with a demographic of people.They have a variety of programs and they also have programs to help new incoming student to help them get use to there first year of collage.They have called the male success alliance of msa for short,Its basically a program that helps male of color improve there educational outcomes.