California State University-East Bay Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California State University-East Bay

Desheyna

Overall I like my school. It is absolutely beautiful because we live on a hill but we have a lot of student now and not enough parking spaces. As a nursing student there needs to be more labs available. There isn't a lot of class available for students and it makes it harder for us to graduate within four years but it is a great college for diversity.

Emmalee

Going to California state university east bay I have learned more than I was expecting. I, unfortunately, had the outlook of the school to be a party school and not a place in which I would learn a lot. But was I wrong. I have been able to excel and develop relationships with my peers and my professors. I love this school and highly recommend it for students enrolled in Junior Colleges or for those who want to actually develop relationships with professors and excel in courses that maybe one may not have thought they could.

Akeilah

California East Bay is a great a school, most classes are small; you can learn a lot. The environment is great. Everyone gets along with everyone. The professor are helpful when you need help with a assignment or didn't understand the lecture. There are many resources on campus if you need anything from tutoring to health.

Christina

CSUEB is a great campus for first time college students or transfers. There are many services to help the transitioning process so that students have the more opportunity to succeed at this school. While the housing is not great, they make sure to get students involved in campus activities and they even provide transportation to downtown shops and activities. They also do a great job with availability for students and staff to met and get assistance when needed. They have low, affordable costs for being a four year university and are continuing to grow an improve the campus. CSUEB makes safety a priority with their police department as well as providing title IX Not Anymore training. There is also a great on campus health center where students are able to seek health care as well as therapy which is included in their tuition. This campus also provides great food options with their dinning commons and on campus venders such as Greens to go. They also have their own grocery store call the POD to provided health snacks for all students. Finally, there is a large library with large study rooms for reservation and desks that allow for studying in between classes or students can enjoy their gym membership that is included with their tuition as well.

Elena

The students are staff are friendly, and the whole school environment is calm and great. I must say that the food sold here is not in good diverse varieties and is expensive. I prefer to live off campus than in the dorm for price differences. Overall I believe the professors care about every student in the school and that they try to reach out for opportunities of internships and providing additional academic support. There are clubs on campus, but you do not really know about it unless you are an "actual" member of the club.

pang

Its super expensive to live out here but the campus itself is the beautiful. being on campus, You can see the whole city of hayward, union city, san leandro and maybe part of oakland too. The view is breathtaking. I've had some problems with resources and help though. They don't go out of their way to help students and that is one reason why my personal education suffers.

Andrea

It is a pretty big campus, with a large amount of diverse people. You meet people from so many different counties and backgrounds that it is shocking. On campus there are always events going on and off campus. Professors are great as well as the class sizes depending on what class and what major you are. Overall, it is a great school with a lot of energy/

D'Nia

California State University-East Bay is located in a very vibrant community. Which comes from many activities for students to participate in there is never a chance for students to be bored. Students on this campus will love the amount of school spirit and how accessible resources are at the school.

Morgan

I actually love my school it is beautiful and full of life. Most of everyone I have met has been friendly and people are very helping. My professors are actually cool and open to helping you meet your goals. Yes it is easy to make friends here and get involved on campus as well. The view from different parts of the campus is amazing as well.

Although there may be some things that I have issues with, I love my school but the main thing I love about the school is the diversity amongst the students. You would be surprised how diverse our campus is. I believe our campus looks pretty good with some facilities which are newer especially the RAW, which is our school gym. I wish there was more of a variety of eating places on campus because we are limited. It is difficult to go and eat off campus and find restaurants that are 5-10 minutes away because we live on a hill. We have shuttles but I wish the shuttle would give us an option to be dropped off right at the bottom of the hill because there are some eating places that people can go to. The shuttles can take students to places like Hayward Bart or downtown Hayward which is convenient for people who commute or people who want to grab a bite or movie downtown. We are not a huge university but I love the people here and the atmosphere.

Katarina

CSUEB in my opinion does not have the best business program. Most of the teachers are foreign so their accents are extremely heavy so it can be hard to follow along in class. Its an affordable state education so you get what you pay for.

This school is a good place to go to if you're a commuter because it is easily accessible. If you come from out of state or don't live locally then it can be harder to adjust to this environment. We have plenty of foreign exchange students and a lot of them come to complete their masters. Overall this is a goo school to go to but the financial aid department can be somewhat disorganized and unhelpful.

Giselle

East bay is a great place to learn, very easy to catch on and follow directions. It is not complicated to get used to this school. Professors are very flexible and want their students to succeed. The workload is not that much either as for general education, is not difficult to keep up with.

Katarina

I really enjoy attending Cal State East Bay, most of the staff members are very understanding and helpful. The classes are informative. The campus is beautiful, also people bring their kids and dogs on campus which is incredibly adorable. There is a fair variety of food places on campus.

Calliope

I've attended both the Concord and Hayward campuses, as well as taken online classes at CSU East Bay. Out of the two on-site campuses, I prefer the Hayward campus. The Concord campus is more accessible to me, but it's smaller than a high school. There's barely any social life or extracurricular activities offered there, and they warn you about rattlesnakes and mountain lions (fun!). The Hayward campus is huge and beautiful. Even though the commute took me an hour and a half to get there, it was worth it. There's students everywhere, food stores on campus, and nearby hiking trails (with less risks from what I gathered). There were lots of events there too. I'd definitely recommend the Hayward campus for any student going to college for the first time.

Agnes

When I first visited CSU East Bay I instantly felt at home and I knew right then that it was the right college for me. Cal State East Bay is one of the most welcoming colleges. It's very full of diversity and positive energy. It's located in Hayward and it's got the most beautiful view of the Bay Bridge. I love their traditions and how students are actively engaged in school activities. It has a strong alumni base and offers good financial aid. It's able to offer whatever you want to do. Cal State East Bay is truly one of the best colleges.

lexi

As a transfer student, I enjoy CSUEB. The campus is very clean and well kept, which says a lot about the individuals in it. All my interactions on campus have been positive. I feel like the students here really do want to learn, and are engaged in their academics. There are many resources for students to succeed in their academic career. The campus is quiet but is sociable. I feel like most students are willing to help, whether it is a classmate, tutor, or even someone you have never seen before. I feel like the academic level itself is appropriate and challenges students to 'shoot for the stars'. I feel like the campus has so much open space to expand and/or create more buildings or scenery, to build the campus niche life.

Catalina

Overall the campus is very diverse in students and faculty members. We embrace cultural differences as much as we can and strive for it as well. Campus is a good size and accessible which is good. Occasionally we get performances, but not as much as we did in 2014-2015 year which is kind of sad because every week we had a performance or a mini concert. Other than that, its a decent campus this great for people who commute like myself.

Alexis

I love this school. The school is in the bay area and it is on a hill with a beautiful view. The campus is very diverse and the professors are all really nice thus far. Always events going on during the day on campus. The academics have surpassed my expectations.

My overall opinion of east bay is that it could be a lot worse, but it's not the greatest either. The school is located up in Hayward hills, so its nestled away from everything and everyone which can be a negative if you are a first-year student because you can feel "stuck" on campus if you don't drive and don't always wanna utilize PT. Academically, I'd say they are good for first-year students and it pretty easy overall. Campus life is dull and boring. School is gloomy and depressing in the winter. Very small, and not a big school that has the typical college life experience. A typical commuter school, in short, you get what you pay for.

Kari

California State University is generally a great school. I am proud to be a part of the Valley Technology and Business program, currently pursuing a degree in Business Administration and Accounting. I have heard wonderful things about the program I am currently enrolled in, and I truly believe that the professors in my program are knowledgeable and genuinely care about the success of their students. I have never seen a professor more dedicated to my education and success as an individual, and for that, I am deeply grateful for my opportunity to attend this university. I am a dedicated full time student and employee, so I do not get to participate in the on campus culture as much as I would like. Since my transfer, I have met so many like-minded individuals that want to see everyone around them succeed. This initiative has made group projects exciting and informative learning from one another. On the other hand, the course offerings are not particularly convenient. As a working adult, I spend a majority of my days at work and generally considered being a night student, much like I was at community college before transfer. ALL of the accounting classes I need to graduate are only offered in the morning and mid-day so it has been strenuous trying to take a full time course load and maintain my weekly 40 hours of work. California State University East Bay also does not offer students to take online and in class courses at the same time. I was determined to continue learning alongside my new friends and class mates, but I must do whatever it takes to maintain 12 units per quarter and continue working. Other than a difficult class schedule, I highly recommend the CSUEB Business Administration Program to anyone looking to pursue a degree in business.

lana

I think East Bay is a great school, it doesn't matter where you come from because when you come on to the campus everyone is very accepting and relaxed. Compared to other schools who will have multiple protest or prone to threatening situations like shootings and assault, I feel like as a whole we are able to come together and have a mutual understanding. East Bay is a great college to attend and the best decision I've made.

Ana

CSU East Bay is a very involved school that appreciates their students. I've noticed that teachers will go out of their way to talk with a professor which seems very nice of them because some students might be extremely shy and scared. Also, the clubs on campus are very nice and open-minded when it comes to new students.

Jose

For the locals East Bay may not have the best reputation but once pass the stigma of it being the local school there are several benefits to CSU East. The first noticeable benefit is that the campus is located on a hill that oversees the city. An other benefit of East Bay are the small classes with a average of 40 students. Over all CSU East Bay is a ok school with its ups and downs.

Julie

Good a commuter school. It is not the regular college people are looking for there is two campuses on complete opposite sides of the east bay. You do you other known nearby college like UC berekly and not to far of DAvis. Cal state east bay does have many majors and reasonably prices

Marabelle

It is a very over-rated school, there are plenty of opportunities and the professors here are very helpful. I personally enjoy the view from the hill and the polite people here on campus.

Melissa

Cal Stae East Bay is a wonderful school for students to attend as an undergraduate, transfer, or graduate, and even for prospective students to take a look at and be interested in. They offer more female sports then men because they have a higher percentage of females that attend the university. They have really good majors to pick through for first time college students.

Caitlin

I enjoy the school but they have a lot to improve on. Housing and Tuition are expensive for a small school with hard to reach resources. most teachers are very friendly but a good handful are a living nightmare. I don't mind my current situation at East Bay but crave a better experience.

Ivin

I will be enrolling into this school in 2019.

Wadood

This college is for someone who is ready for commute and want to just take a course to finish a degree. You will be given resources and will be helped but it is an average school with the community doing everything they can to work towards making it better. Fellow students are great and the diversity among culture and ethnicities are pure. The best part of this college is the proximity to the 1% life that everyone wants.

Kaitlyn

Driving up the hill to campus, your first thought will be "Wow, this campus has got to have some great views from up here!" and there are. It's a beautiful campus full of life. Rabbits and deer can be seen prancing around, the people in the neighborhood up further on the hill walk their dogs on campus, and there are almost always people around.... But eventually your thoughts may turn into something like "Dang, not a whole lot of shops and stores around" or "Hm, I sure am hungry, wish there was someplace nice to grab a bite." The campus is pretty, the staff and professors are wonderful, and the students are great. The only downside is that CSUEB is up on a hill, secluded from the rest of Hayward so if you don't have a car, then you can only go as far as the campus shuttle will take you: to quaint downtown Hayward. That being said though, East Bay is one of the safest CSU's because of the fact that it's away from the rest of Hayward, so if safety is important to you, then CSUEB is just the place. Besides, the campus is reasonably small so the campus police department is close to everything. The dining commons is decent and the on-campus food choices cover most bases. If you're looking for a burger and fries, East Bay is the wrong place to look but if you need a warm place to study and a hot cup of coffee, Starbucks and Einstein's got you covered. Overall, it's a bustling scene of young adults looking to succeed, surrounded by a cool breeze off the bay and a warm, welcoming community.

Phoebe

I love the entire experience. My professors, school, etc. have been very supportive during my studies. I’m a non traditional student and I hadn’t been to school in 20 years. I graduated from high school with a 1.6 gpa. I have a 3.3 in college.

Austin

I feel like East Bay is a campus that wants the best for its students but where some students do not even want the best for themselves, decreasing the quality of an enriching academic environment. I can easily tell that the professors here are deeply motivated to see their students succeed inside and outside the classroom. Overall, if you find the right group, I believe CSU East Bay is a good school to achieve your academic goals.

This will be a great fit for me academically, and this school will keep me more close to my family since its near my home. Though the major I want to be in is impacted, I will try my best to get into it and do whatever it takes to be in that major which is in Nursing.

Daniel

It's alright for just school, not the most fun campus barely any school spirit. All I do is go to class and go to the gym occasionally or work, when you see movies you think of this facade of a college experience and in some schools you get something similar but not here unfortunately.

jeremy

As a college overall, California State East Bay has some amazing teachers that are willing to work with students. I only care about the teachers, and they care about everyone passing their courses. There are a few bad apples, however, but I feel like the average teacher works with the students in these ways: Clarity, prompt responses when taking online courses, realistic work load, and enough time to study for exams, and write our comprehensive papers. For the most part, speaking with the head of the Human Development program has been a real joy. She’s willing to work with me by responding to my questions in a timely fashion. She gives me a timeline, so I’m aware of what I need to do before the quarters/semester starts, which is a real help. For example, I was on the waiting list for one class that I really needed. She was able to get me in the class, so I had no worries about going into the spring semester. So far, I’ve just had one bad example, and this is related to the writing test (taken on campus) that everyone needs before they get their bachelor’s degree. I was told not to show up, and this worked against me in the long run. I was trying to cancel due to work, and now I cannot enroll in the fall semester until I take the test. Good thing that the fall semester doesn’t start in another four to five months. Overall, the last year and a half has been a blast. Good teachers, challenging courses, and timely responses from the financial aid and administration office will help me recommend California State East Bay.

Isaiah

The school is a very relaxing environment. People speak and help when you need them. You can take a hike when you would like or you can watch a movie. This is a place where you can find yourself and grow as an individual. Personally speaking, I know I have truly enjoyed my time here

Nayeli

The school has a very friend environment it’s one of the most diverse campus in the state the professors are adequate but could be better

Gisele

The academic faculties have been undergoing changes. My department has unfortunately been overturning with quality professors that leave within a few years time. Financial Aid department is just satisfactory and room for improvement in the area of inter-departmental communication and clarity to students. There are resourceful academic support groups that go above and beyond to assure students have academic resources and support for successful completion of degree requirements. The advising counselors in my department are on point and knowledgeable and are there to accurately help you down the best path for your career goals.

Daniel

It's academics are diverse, but as all University's it is crowded by a surplus of students that most likely won't be achieving the goals set forth by themselves. Reluctantly have to say there a a dominant scene for partying and drug use. With the increase of students it is highly probable there will be many drop outs.

Natalie

I am a parttime graduate student so I'm not too familiar with day life in campus. I do know that the campus is beautify and professors are excellent. There is a large diverse group of student body. Student services in person is also easy to access and helpful for the most part. It is difficult to connect over the phone regarding administrative help such as enrollment, payments, and general questions. The graduate counselor is lacking a bit of connectivity to students. As a parttime student I cannot meet the office hours like many who are full time. Communications by email is not very good but once you're there in person the services are much better.

Hilay

So far I do like the School. There are so many ways in which students can get involved in clubs and organizations. The tuition is a bit expensive but I am comfortable knowing that its not a super competitive school. Its a super small school which I like that way you can participate more and get in touch more with your professors.

Priscilla

I really enjoyed my stay here at CSUEB. I wasn't really involved in school's activities. I was more of a go to school then go home.