California State University-Fullerton Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

John

The stereotype at my school is that Asians are bound to be smart at any field, which is not true. I for one suck at math so I prefer reading over cracking numbers.

Celeste

The student body is so diverse that there really is not a a stereotypical Cal State Fullerton student.

Simona

CSUF students are stereotyped as academically inferior to students from other universities such as UC's and private schools. Some people consider that people go to Cal State schools because they can't get into UC's. This opinion (and the associated opinion that CSU schools are inferior) is completely and utterly wrong. Like every school, CSUF has its mix of unmotivated and motivated students. Perhaps the ratio is a bit greater (~50:50 especially amongst the incoming classes) than at other campuses but this is in no way detrimental. In fact, it offers a diverse group of students with various educational and personal backgrounds. By the second and third year, most (~75-80{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}) of the unmotivated students have realized what it takes to be successful and have become good (or at least much better) students. It's actually really fantastic to be amongst a group of students that consists of motivated undergrads, undergrads who became motivated in college, masters students, and extremely motivated post bacc's. On the flip side, there are plenty of extremely bright and motivated students on campus as well. The President's Scholars program consists of academically exceptional, community-oriented students who were accepted while graduating high school. The Honors program likewise consists of a much larger community of extremely motivated students who go beyond the bare minimum required. Other students belong to research programs, such as the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Undergraduate Research Program or the Minorities Access to Research (MARC) Program. Thus, CSUF students do not fit the stereotype. The student body is EXTREMELY diverse and welcoming.

jacklyn

A stereotype of the students at our school would be a lot of "preppy" white kids, a lot of frats and greek life and people who want to party.

Amy

Almost everyone is a commuter- about 90{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} I would say, so parking's very difficult during the day. There are also a lot of students that play sports as well, either for a class or for the school.

Joelle

I don't believe there are many stereotypes at our school. There are different students who hang out in different groups, but, as far as I've seen no one is neglected or denied from joining any groups.

Joelle

Amy

The stereotype of students at Cal State Fullerton is that they are all commuters who aren't involved on campus and don't really socialize much. This isn't actually the case. There are resident halls on campus that house up to 2000 students, and many diverse organizations and clubs on campus that students get really involved in. From academics, to sports and hobbies, Cal State Fullerton has some form of club that would interest you. While it is true that many students do commute, there are also lots of students who live either on campus or in the apartments near campus, and get involved with extracurricular activities on campus.

Louis

Some of the stereotypes about my school is that the students are jocks. This stereotype is not accurate because most of the students that go to this school do not play sports and they mostly study for their classes.

Dustin

People who are friendly, truthfully. We came to this school for that very reason. To not only be a jock, part of a fraternity, be a stoner or a geek. But, also, to graduate from a University.

Kimberly

A lot of people think everyone is just commuters who are unsociable. But that is so not true! All you have to do is introduce yourself to a few people around you in class and soon you will have lots of new friends!

I wouldn't say there are any major stereotypes that define our school, however there are definitely groups of stereotypical people that are noticeable. The more prominent groups include Greek life, theater/art majors, business majors, and more. You can usually pick these students out of a crowd more easily because they are wearing their Greek shirts or business suits or dance clothes (anyone on campus who is carrying a zafu pillow and yoga mat is 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} a theater major). Visual art majors are always carrying a TON of supplies, and they usually walk alone. CSUF is very diverse however, so there is a good amount of all types of people.

Jasmine

Back in my high school, the usual stereotype for students at California State Fullerton was that they weren't scholastically motivated. They couldn't get into any of the big schools like UCLA, USC, Berkeley, etc. so they stuck with the "easy" choice - Cal State Fullerton. While I may know a couple of students who applied to this University on a whim, the people here, I've seen, are all about motivation. I've met many talented students here in the art department who constantly refine their portfolios and strive towards applying at internships. I've met students who juggle a 16 unit course load every week and still play a functioning role of an officer at a club. I've also met single mothers who go to class, do all the work, in addition to working a part time job. Furthermore, people can jeer and be dismissive about Fullerton all they want, but they fail to see how fully-competent and motivated these students are.

Jasmine

Jacqueline

There aren't many negative stereotypes of the students here at Cal State Fullerton that I'm aware of. From what I know and have experienced every student here at CSUF has a desire to learn and a willingness to better the lives around them. Students here are passionate about the pathways they have chosen to obtain a meaningful purpose in their lives.

Like the college campus's you see in the movies, Cal State Fullerton has different cliques as well as stereotypes for those cliques. We have the "ditsy" sorority girls and the "crazy" frat boys. We also have to geeks who are generally considered to be those in the sciences or business programs and keep to themselves. There are also the "free-spirited" drama/theater majors, the skater boys, and the "gamers," who hangout in the Underground.