California State University-Long Beach

« See more reviews of California State University-Long Beach

CSULB is has a very healthy mix of backgrounds and affiliations. I am part of the LGBT community and I feel right at home there. It is a very progressive school, and at times, almost too politically correct. Students from all over LA and Orange County who have different economic statuses attend there. Most students wear their street clothes (whatever that means) to class. There is a confusing trend sweeping the city which involves pricey clothes and pricier sunglasses, and this has definitely translated onto campus. As shallow as most of the students may seem, they show an amazing realization that it's more important to be happy with one's career, rather than to work hard for a high salary. Most students seem to be politically aware, and most seem to be lefties.

Classmates vary according to classes. In my general education courses, there are a variety of intellectual levels, but one can't expect a math or science major to do well in a English Composition course, and vice versa. When in my courses that are directed towards my major, my classmates seem to be far more focused and more well prepared. As a whole, my classes have been very diverse; however, I have noticed that I tend to have more female classmates than male classmates. Classmates are generally friendly, and it is never difficult to find a study group.

My classmates differ from class to class, but they are all generally serious about being in college. Students in my Calculus II class were all smart, which surprised me since I've always been one of the smartest in my Calculus class from high school. One thing that's different about being in college is that there is a lot less interaction between classmates, so I do not know very much, but most of my classmates are quite when the professor is lecturing. The friends that I did make from my classes are good and sociable people.

At CSU Long Beach, there's a great deal of diversity among the students. Considering my past experience, students at CSU Long Beach are very welcoming, friendly, and kind. For example, I'm taking math 122 this semester and on the first day of class, I sat down in a seat and the student next to me began introducing himself and by the end of class, we became friends. My friend then suggested that I join his organization called AAFC. I agreed and at the meeting, the students were very welcoming and made me feel like I belonged.

Various- from every ethnicity, religion, political background and age group. I've had 50+ year olds in some classes, giving interesting insight into their perspective on things. For the most part, people are friendly. Some are quiet and don't speak up much, and others are active and love to share their thoughts. Thoughts that I might not have otherwise have thought of. So it's a boiling pot of not only new things to learn in class, but new things to learn from your fellow students.

My classmates were a mix of overachievers and people that just scraped by. The students at Mayfair High School were of diverse racial backgrounds and had different levels of academic achievements. Being around a variety of students allowed me to have a better understanding the diverse society that we live in. There weren't many "cliques" which granted me the ability to get along with all sorts of groups of people that weren't from the same racial background that I am.

My classmates are mostly well educated individuals that provide good conversation and input in class discussions. I can relate to my classmates at Cal State Long Beach on numerous levels. Majority of my classmates share the same goals I do. They strive to do well in school, desire to continue their education post bachelor degree, and most importantly have a deep interest in the study of sociology.

Students and classmates in California State University, Long beach are very friendly. Many of us always try to help eachother out and come up with ways to study the best way possible. In many of my classes, my classmates and I have created study groups, reached out to eachother if anybody ever had trouble on an assignment, or just contacted eachother just to meet up and relax.

My classmates are outspoken like the thriving political actions of the United Farm Workers, ambitious to learn their own goals as much as Martin Luther King Jr. had wanted to integrate both blacks and whites into the same schools, and scientific enough to use an Einstein-thought process to think and analyze an issue to obtain an answer.

CSULB is a highly populated school so it is usually hard for freshmen to transition here. I joined a sorority to make the campus seem smaller, and it has made my time here a lot more enjoyable. My advice is to get involved in a club or activity that you enjoy so that you can have a good time and meet friends. Good luck!