California State University-Long Beach

« See more reviews of California State University-Long Beach

I am very proud to be a student of CSULB. The campus is a beautiful place with everything I have needed to study so far. The one thing I would consider changing about the school is the lack of desire to care for the environment and the outdoors in our students. I am part of the outdoors club and out of over 35,000 students we have less than thirty in our whole club. I do not think the students quite realize how important it is. Hopefully, we can make a difference. It is a great place of education.

The worst thing at my school is the lack of motivation we recieve from certain staff members. In my opinion, some teachers at my school does not care about student's success. Some stuck to a teaching agenda that is so old it's no longer effective. This is a problem that needs to be fixed because if the teaching plan is not effective, students would not learn anything. Speaking from first hand experience, I have been in situations where I have to teach my self all of the materials for the course.

The worst thing about my school is that it is a "commuter school". Most people attend class, maybe hang out for a while and go home. For this reason it is really difficult to meet new people and create new lasting friendships. I commute to the school myself although I would prefer to dorm. I want to be completely immersed in the college experience and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If our school wasn't a commuter school, we would have even MORE school spirit and we would know so many more people.

One of the worst things about my school and most of the other CSU/UC schools are the constant budget cuts and increases in tuition and school fees. The school issues furlough days in which the professors are required to select a number of days to not teach class. This is unfair because it is like the students are paying not to go to class. Another problem is the availability of classes. Classes have become so impacted that some students have to attend more than 4 years to finish their degree.

I believe the worst thing about Cal State Long Beach would have to be the lack of nutritional food places. Dont get me wrong there are a few, but not enough. I see myself falling into the "freshman 15", a study's result of how freshman gain 15 pounds entering thier first year of college. I have been gaing a few pounds due to eating everyday at the schools food court and waking up too tierd to make lunch to take, which makes the wost thing about CSULB is the lack of healthy food businesses.

As superficial as it may seem, the parking is by far the worst part about the campus. Student parking is limited to only certain sides of the campus so if you are looking to spend some time in the library, it is about a 10 minute walk from the designated areas. Though CSULB provides shuttle services, it is not always convenient to wait for one when you are running late for a class. Some students use bicycles but there is not a strong support to facilitate this from the university.

The worst thing about CSULB is also the best thing. I hated walking the mile from the parking lot at one end of campus to the complete opposite end where my classes were. However, the walk help me to stay in shape and provided beautiful scenery. Everyday I traveled past colorful flowers, sculptures, a bell tower ringing out melodies, eucalyptus shade trees, interesting and original architecture, and wild rabbits and cats that made CSULB their home. The walk and the scenery

It is really spacious and really big and people may be lazy to walk around. CSULB is the second biggest Cal State in California and people really have a hard time managing time while getting to their classes. To add, CSULB has a maze of classes where many students can easily get lost. I remember walking their my first time, not only did I get tired but i was really confused upon where my classes where. Those two problems are the only two i have come upon so far.

I wish my college was not a commuter school. I wish that the living situation would be more like the UC's where the city is based off of the college. It has been fun living in Long Beach, and knowing all the students that live around me, but I know that most people drive to school, so meeting with these students and building friendships is much harder since distance is a factor. But other than that, I am still satisfied with my situation.

One of the things I find most challenging about my campus is that my race is the minority, we are 5%. I often times feel like we are secretly segragated. Due to I have been attending this university for 3 years, and can count on two hands, how many caucasion friends I have. It can be difficult to attend a school where often times you are the only black female in a class, speaking on issues of cultural beliefs and so on.