California State University-Long Beach

« See more reviews of California State University-Long Beach

With the California budget cuts, the bureaucratic machinery which runs the school is running a more clunky than usual. Plenty of services are available, but with the budget cutbacks, many are having to cut back on their outreach programs and have had to cancel events and programs. The budget crisis has even forced professors to take several furlough days off a semester which may sound like a nice vacation, but it actually impedes the educational process. Considering the fee hikes of the last few years, getting less education for one's money isn't really something to celebrate.

The most frustrating thing about my school is getting around. My school is big. Huge in fact. I think that, after UCLA, it is the biggest school in California. Because of this, there's a crrazy amount of students parking, walking, and pretty much fighting to get to class everyday. Unfortunately for students, it's difficult to get around during the first weeks of school because the parking structure fills up by nine AM on the dot, and even though our big school is wide and quite a walk to opposite sides of campus, there are no shuttles to take.

The most frustrating thing about Long Beach State is definitely its lack of space for all of the students in the library and parking lots/structures. Since it is the second largest campus in California you would think that there would be enough room for the thousands of students that attend, however there are constantly cars circling the parking lots for sometimes an hour to get a spot on campus. Also, during midterms and finals, I cannot count the number of times I sat on the floor for hours because there were not enough tables or chairs.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of classes available to students. There are very few Honors and Advanced Placement classes. If a student wanted to take one Advanced Placement class it would be close to impossible because the schedule is created so that only those who are in the honor roll system can take it. For example, all of the AP classes are laid out so that it would only work for students who are in the honor roll programs, this creates differents groups of students at school based on academic success.

There are only two real frustrations I personally have with this school. The first is the parking situation. All of the lots are on the bottom of a very large campus and the majority of the classes are all built on the other side. However, there is always places to park and they even just built two new structures to give more space to the students. The second is that we only have one major sports team and that is our baseball team "The Dirtbags". I would love to have a football team to cheer on as well.

The parking situation-- there are only parking lots for students at the bottom of campus, so if you have classes at the top of campus, you have to walk about a mile (or take the shuttle) to class. It would have been nice to have parking all around the campus. Also, the lack of financial aid to students they consider "well-off" even when there was no financial support given from the family. Wish they could consider financial aid rewards to people who may not appear to be underpriveleged, but that are!

The most fustrating thing about CSULB is parking enforcement and parking itself. It is always a fight to find a parking spot. There have been numerous times I have been late to either class or my on-campus job because of parking. That can happen even if I am 30 minutes early. As well I think parking enforcement is worse then a general poclice officer. They gave me a ticket for not have my front license plate attached to the front of my car. I thought that was an officers job, not a student.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the parking and how far apart this campus is spread out. The parking lots and structures get full very fast in the mornings and stay full throughout the day. Unless you want to add another fifteen minutes to your walk, people try to find parking as close to the campus as possible. This campus is HUGE, and if you were able to find close enough parking, still getting ready for a good hike to you first class! Make sure to wear comfortable shoes!

The most frustrating thing about my school are the tuition hikes that have been going on for the past two years. Tuition has increased and will be increasing again in the Fall 2011. With the budget cuts and tuition increase, some classes are forced to be unavailable, causing it harder for students to select classes and graduate within four years. This causes much stress among students when they cannot enroll in their required major classes.

Like all colleges, I think, it offers so many tempting social activities that sometimes it's hard to keep on top of homework. I think the campus and the school itself is great, though. Living on campus sometimes isn't the best, because many of the people who are in charge on campus housing don't seem to really care about the students. They often put new rules into effect and don't adequately inform residents of these new rules or regulations.