California State University-Long Beach

« See more reviews of California State University-Long Beach

Primarily, that everyone is diverse by culture and their aspirations to be there. Every student that I've spoken with has enriched my understanding; that our world revolves around creative, insightful, and hopeful people. High school limited my ability to see beyond a South Los Angeles, gang affiliated atmosphere, and I couldn't learn to respect the culture that people held deep within. For instance, during my first day in the library, I noticed a muslim woman in a meditative prayer and I laughed. But, when she asked me to join her, I began to understand the beauty of culture.

If I had a better insight as to what I could expect from my academic load and the amount of work that was going to be expected from me by my teachers, I feel that it woud have better transitioned me from high school to college. There was a signifigant difference between the way classes are taught and homework and projects are assigned from high school to college. Had I been fully aware of this difference, I would have know what to expect from my college courses, and would have been more succesfull in completing reading and homework assignments.

Before I came to this school I wish that I was more aware of different cultures and languages of people from different nationalities all over the world. Since this school is so diverse, I have come in contact with people from all different backgrounds. I really wish that I could have knew just a little bit more than I know now about all of these different cultures and things because I am a people person, and I am just delighted to see the look on people's faces when I know things about their culture that they thought nobody knew.

I wish I had known how amazing college was ad how many oppotunities are available for everyone. No matter the major you on. I would have loved to have been shown where to go when I needed something because their are many resources that are available to you. There are may thing that one can be involved in that could truly affect your future. It really important to utilize what is available to you on campus adn it make your college exprience a thousnad times better when your involved and it give you community and help on campus.

Being the oldest in my family, I had no one to follow when it came to my academics. I was left to depend upon friends with older siblings and the aid of my high school counselors. Before I came to this school, I wish I had known more about the academic system that the college campus utilizes. It is very different from that of the high school systems. You are able to choose your own schedule but you have many more requirements to fulfill. It would've been helpful to be more informed about the system but you learn quickly.

Before I came to this school, the problems I had were minute compared to the problems I face in college today. I wish my mom would of started a college fund for me while in highschool. It has been extremely difficult for me to be a full - time student and balance a work load. I come from a single parent background, and I use to live far from campus. I wish someone would have encouraged me to apply to more scholarships and really prepared me for the debt which you can accumulate, just from trying to better yourself.

I wish I had known about the community feel of the campus. Although you definitely cannot know every student, most of the students and staff are friendly and willing to help strangers. The faculty is generally extremely open, and professors are reliably available during their office hours. If you have any questions, virtually anybody is willing to help you find an answer; freshmen in particular become the focal point of many campus activities, welcoming them and integrating them into the campus life.

Before I came to this school, I wish I had known what I wanted to do with a business major . I came to CSULB thinking if I should change my major. When applying to this school, I chose business as my major because I love the idea of marketing and financing. I thought to myself, I will just stick to it since I have an interest in this field. However, it will only take a matter of time to determine what I really want to pursue with a business major because CSULB has a pretty good business program.

Relax. Breathe. This is the easy part in life. Going to college is the time to be creative, smart and opinionated. College is when you find yourself. When you get to become exactly the person you want to be. Take the time to look around and really think about who you are and who you want to become. There is no hurry, these are going to be the best four years, or 6 for some, in your life. Try your best and never give up on yourself. Don't worry and have the time of your life. It's college!

During the orientation, CSLB prepares you for almost everything you need to know as a freshman. I came to the school ready to start my higher learning and to indulge into college life. It is all a learning obstacle and it has been all worth everyday that I have been a student here. If I had not gone to the orientation I would have been lost along with my parents. If a person that is going to CSLB does not go to orientation, they should expect to be lost and wishing that they did attend it.