California State University-Los Angeles Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California State University-Los Angeles

Palllavi

Great University. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Have various clubs and organizations. Encourages co-curricular activities. Very helpful and supportive faculty and student body. Keeps students' interests in mind. Motivates to do better both Academically and Professionally.

Nubia

It’s an ok school. Not much school pride. Food diversity is not the greatest. The Starbucks on campus is too packed all the time. Professors always complain about our school.

Overall, I really enjoy going here the tuition is affordable and the professors are excellent.

Christina

I have to be honest and say that my experience here has just been okay. It might just be the transition to semesters from the quarter system. We were supposed to have an orientation specific to my major which got cancelled. As a first time student I was looking forward to the information I was to learn from the orientation. When it came time for the advisement appointment you must attend in order to select courses it was quite confusing and a little rushed. You are placed in a classroom with 40 plus other students and there were four people assisting everyone with selecting courses. It felt like we were being herded like cattle. We were also informed that we might not be able to graduate in two years if we didn't take 5 classes a semester along with some news that we might not even be admitted into the program and some might prepare themselves for taking a year off. The delivery of this highly sensitive and important information was really discouraging. This was supposed to be such a pivotal moment in the initiation from all the years I just spent working hard at a community college to a first time university student. This was supposed to be a joyous occasion where I would finally see my hard work come to fruition but instead I felt disheartened. This has left me pondering if I made the wrong choice in schools. I am just hoping it gets better. Only time will tell.

Alandra

Calstatela is a very open and funny campus to be on especially when they have the outdoor markets come on the campus and provides all kinds of food. Also, they always have tents pitched up every week so, its always interesting to meet new people. They have great programs to help students like writing center and a tutoring center which you can either walk in or call for an appointment.

Nina

Although I am a freshmen in high school, I am looking ahead of myself trying to find out more about CSU. I beileve CSU is a awesome college and I'm looking forward to going there!

I believe that California State University, Los Angeles has helped underrepresented minority students like me to succeed in their higher education. I struggled attending college because I am a first-generation college student. when I started taking Psychology courses at the university I felt I was receiving the higher education that I deserve with wonderful faculty that care about the needs of the students. I am grateful that the university faculty is helping me with my academic success and they value my goals.

LOUIS

It's alright if you want to get in and out.

Nathalie

Its a great school to attended

Karina

Overall, a good campus to be on. I personally feel very welcome and have not seen any negativity. The campus itself is a nice size, going across campus isn't an issue for me. The professors that I have had the chance to meet have all been lovely and extremely nice.

Rex

Cal State LA contains students with broad diversities, and many awesome professors that are willing to help out the students. The foods at the school are expensive but with many options to choose. Campus housing is about 15-20 mins of walk so it is not really convenient. Overall, great school but sometimes limited resources.

Mitzi

There are a lot of opportunities on campus but many students do not know about. So it is important to always go out and look for what interests you on campus to take advantage of all the opportunities the college has to offer. I enjoy the class sizes they are like high school class sizes. This helps get that one-on-one with the professors so they really get to know you and helps when students need to ask for letters of recommendations. The campus does have lecture halls for certain classes but usually these class have an extra class to take where class sizes shrink and have another professor to help with the subjects taught in lecture halls. Overall i really enjoy this campus and would recommend it.

Briana

I enjoy the university, although sometimes I feel like I miss out on the 'real' college experience because CSULA is mainly a commuter school. Once everyone is done, they just leave. There arent many places to lounge, like parks or fountains. Its mostly concrete pathways and benches but not any long, green patches of grass to relax.

Marissa

Great campus but improvements could be made to make it higher ranked college. Having a bigger athletics calling would draw more students. The graduation rate could be higher if more emphasis was put on not just graduating but succeeding in the major of choice

Eduardo

CSULA is not what I expected when I first moved into the dorms. It is a school that is relatively unknown because it is overshadowed by UCLA. That doesn't change the fact though, that the University is great. Teachers care for their students. Class sizes are great which means you get to create personal relationships with the professors and faculty members. The campus looks nice. The culture here is awesome because everyone is so open-minded. Although the school can be viewed by others as a joke, I am still proud of being a Golden Eagle student at CSULA and do not regret coming here.

Jonathan

It's a commuter school but if you look into your department, there's bound to be something for you. The professors are for the most part lackluster, but the occasional ones are very good and well liked. This was the only university that accepted me but i'm glad that they did.

Sam

Looks like an exelent campus

Dominic

When I first applied and enrolled in Cal State LA I did not expect everything I encountered. I love everyone I've met and know, as well as appreciate the opportunities I've been given while attending this school. Even though it is a relatively small university, I love coming to school everyday and learning because I feel the welcoming community of students and staff members. I will surely attain my music education degree from Cal State LA.

juan

My overall opinion of California state University of Los Angeles is that this school is very safe and it is easy to get around. There are many places to go to but the main attraction is California State University of Los Angeles. When I visited here I was very welcome nicely and expect to be coming here soon.

Maggie

Some really amazing faculty; plenty of great resources for students. Overall, I loved my time here.

Karina

I love the unique diverse population! This school has a majority Latino population, and a very large population of Asian/Asian Americans. It's nice to be surrounded by such a unique group of students. I also really appreciate the way my professors seem to really care about the student's learning, as evident by the way they are available and are willing to take the time to make sure students are understanding the information. I also really appreciate the support I've received by the advisor of the Pre-Health Post Bacc program that I am in!

Akshara

I have been attending this school for three years now for my undergraduate studies. The academics is very up to par and the professors are very helpful. In the case of campus activities and keeping students up to date, there is always room for improvement. The campus feels safe and is in a good environment. The biggest concern for students would be the parking situation.

Dagoberto

The campus is lively with an event happening every day from one of the clubs, fraternities, or one of the departments having a small prize lottery. The professors themselves vary on your major or if that professor was forced to teach that course. I have had no problems with any of the professors nor with any of the administrations. The class sizes vary on your major and if it's a GE class. I've only experienced one overcrowded class and was the only class I've received a C in because of the information given and help was limited. The Advisors can be difficult since each one has their own personal take on which classes you should take each semester. So, it's best to double check with each one and see if they all have similar attitudes towards your graduation planning. The worst I can say about my school is the increase in prices that happen in split second or the limited response to the student's concerns on how they receive financial aid. I've received little emails on when a new scholarship is open or when the deadline is open. Since I have On-Campus Housing, it has shown that sometimes the main staff doesn't care about the students well being and hardly check up on them. Overall, my campus is "Ok" at this point in time and with the construction of a new dorm complex and parking area, it will only cause more trouble.

Alicia

Overall, I think CSULA is a good school for people who need financial help. The professors at this school have been helpful and their research labs are amazing. Unfortunately, they do not receive or are not using their funds wisely because their are certain types of glassware and tools that are needed for the labs along with other things that limit the schools' abilities to be great. There are a lot of opportunities at your disposal, you just have to make the time and effort to find them.

Bliss

My overall opinion of Cal State LA is that there is plenty of opportunities for all students to feel that they belong. This is the fortunate result of a plethora of social and intellectual engagements being available on campus. I am personally very excited to explore these various groups and organizations, as I begin my college career. I can confidently say that I am certain that I possess all of the tools necessary to succeed. The staff of this school, along with more seasoned students, take the time to answer your questions and to offer a guiding hand. I highly encourage those who are looking for an affordable, extensive, and accessible education to join the golden eagle family.

Cristian

It a great school and enjoy it very much.It wasn't my first choice but, i don't regret coming here.Everyone is so nice and is pretty easy to make friends everywhere.The food could use so work but the downstairs dinning hall is over all pretty great.I would recommend this school to others.

Brenda

California State University of Los Angeles is a great commuting school. This school is right in the center of Downtown Los Angeles and is accessible to everyone. I love the campus and I appreciate how close from home I am. Everything is near by and the students here are all very intelligent and have a drive to learn.

Angel

I believe that the campus is great but needs to have more campus security.

Vanessa

CSULA wants their students to succeed. The environment makes you feel safe and welcomed. They have the best atmosphere and education system. CSULA uses the semester system. This allows students to move toward their degree at a steady pace. This is the best University to develop time management skills and be financially stable. This campus offers plenty of financial aid and has resources on campus to avoid food insecurtity. There are many organizations on campus.

Nancy

My overall opinion of California State University -Los Angeles is noticing what a great college it is . I found myself at this college and I am beginning to develop myself as an adult in this diverse environment. The college is surrounded by lots of minority races that are willing to go out of there way to become successful people for our future.

Aero

I find California State University - Los Angeles to be a great starter school - especially for those with low income.

Luke

You know that feeling when you bite into a burger from McDonald's and it tastes as it should-- cheap, familiar, and ultimately like cardboard? You could go down to Carl's Jr. and get a tastier burger but, you don't really have the money and realistically, you can get the same fulfillment spending much less at McDonald's. California State University Los Angeles is the equivalent. It looks underwhelming but, hey! At least you saved a few thousand.

Brianna

I visited on the campus for Preview Day and I felt more than welcome. I'll be majoring in Public Health and I got to meet one of the advisors and as I see, they are really nice and easy to ask questions to. I love the campus can't wait to start college in the fall of 2018.

Johanna

I was very nervous knowing that I was going from high school to a four year university. Cal state LA helped me feel as if I was at home, they have shown us where we can access material, studying, working and finding our way around. They really do care for the students. I love it! In the summer I went to school for about 5 weeks they showed us how the classes would be and how we can get a head start, they helped us meet other students and feel more confident. I am glad I decided to go to cal state la.

Steven

Worst school I had ever attended. The staffs from each department are incompetent, they often mislead students with incorrect information because they are pretty ignorant themselves. The school will employ any ways possible to milk money from students. For example, you want to take three classes in fall semester, but the school decides to cancel one of those classes for the fall and switches to the summer which you will have to pay extra fees on top of the tuition. Extra fees like parking and mandatory medical fees to enroll at their campus. The students will also have to deal with the worst organizational bureaucracy to get things done at this campus.

Perla

As an out-of-state and first-generation student, I feel that this university has made my first college experience the best. Both the population and student body is very diverse and coming from a conservative state, it is beautiful to see people as young as I am standing up for what is right and encouraging others to do the same!

Yashkumar

It's a great university but it can be improved and be better in certain areas. The staff is great and the best in this university but there is a huge lack of communication between students outside of class. People tend to go class and once it;s over they go back to the dorm or back home without any other communication or any social interaction.

Joshua

I believe that California State University- Los Angeles is a great school. For one thing they have a great academic program for any student. Another thing that is good at the school is having a department services for students who have disabilities that can help them ot.

Britney

I love the professors! so nice and always in office hours if not earlier. Available online and you can contact them whenever. Peers are super helpful and just the campus is not that big so you won't get lost. It's a learning campus so everything is taught and explained well enough.

Yerisel

If I could change something about CSULA, it would be some of the professors because a lot of them are not very good at teaching. It is not just me who believes this, many of my peers complain about this as well. Other than that, this school is pretty great considering the cost. The campus is nice, most of the people are friendly, and the resources are also great. I love that there is always something going on at CSULA, like student events, club/organization events, or random fun events. When you need help, like counseling or tutoring, the staff here does their best to help you with whatever you may need.

Rudy

I believe this to be a more of a commuter school. With that being said, a school that is more apt for students who work and go to school at the same time. There is not much of a "campus life" with people joining greek organizations or clubs left, and right, but there are a few programs one can get involved with. For the most part, the majority of the students who attend the campus do not live there and this makes it a place where one simply goes to obtain an education and leave as quickly as possible.

Brenda

It is a great commuter school. Great academics, and locations around. There are many great professors at this university, There are also some that help encourage me when I have had thoughts of giving up. Naturally there are those professors who don't contribute to a pleasant experience. The school has great technology programs, some departments have antiquated equipment but sufficient for the learning experience. The campus itself is nice, and for the area in which it is located the campus itself is safe. The only major inconvenience is the parking, this is a problem in most colleges.

Christopher

I think that Cal State LA is an excellent college campus nonetheless. Even if there aren't many eateries around or shops, the inside of the campus itself is still pleasing and calming. Although the food options aren't 100% healthy, it's still important to note that such food is even provided in the first place. Some interiors may lack maintenance but the overall structure of each is doing well.

Bre

My overall opinion of California State University of Los Angeles is that it is a fairly small knit community of a school. There isnt much to say about the school in my opinion. The students and faculty are quite helpfull and nice but it is a small campus while I prefer a large campus.

Paola

All majors are different, but sometimes it is very difficult to find classes. Parking is always full and difficult to find a spot. Faculty is very helpful and are very involved. It would be a perfect school if only there was enough classes and more parking spaces. In order to graduate on time, you should be on top and be able to manage more than five classes. Talking and participating in classes is what these professors like. Also, if you join clubs and participate in the activities they have, you will have a good time. More than anything, if you have other options for school, it would be best to go elsewhere.

Byren

CSU Los Angeles is a good school with a lot of potential to be even better. Even if it has expanded it's campus even further it still has a lot to grow from the inside as well. The service offered to students, for example, can be surely improved. Mainly housing services and from the financial aid office.

Kenia

Overall the university is a good one. There are many activities to choose from if you decide to get into one. The people are helpful when needed as well as the professors. It is a good university and I am glad to go there.

There are sometimes wild animals around campus and students selling food, coffee in the morning . The school wasn’t my first choice but I can live with it academically and financially. During the first year I was a huge mess but after two years I was able to catch up with my GPA.

marissa

It's a great school but it is often referred as a commuter school. I feel that it is true for me Cal state la wasn't the first choice for me and I am planning to transfer. But my time at Cal state has been good.

Erika