California State University-Monterey Bay Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California State University-Monterey Bay

Karen

After being in this college for 2 years now, I did realize some key parts that stand out about this school but because I focus more on my academics than social events or activities, I haven't had much time to explore more of the school. As a student, I have a hard time engaging with people I may not know or large groups of people and there isn't much diversity as I hoped in this school.

Monika

CSU Monterey Bay is a great school. I wish it was more diverse and there was more to do but regardless, the academics are unlike any other school. Students here are truly dedicated to their education. This dedication is seen in and outside the classroom. At CSUMB I know I will graduate and have adequate skills to compete in the professional world.

Vanessa

I transferred into CSUMB as a junior in fall 2018. The accessibility of campus resources, office hours, and counseling makes this college welcoming. The student dashboard, OASIS makes for an easy transition for students, and offers alternative resources all at once. Class sizes are exceptional, and the overall safety of the campus is a huge priority, which makes me feel safe.

Bruce

I really love the campus, the students, and faculty. We are all one big raft (a group of otters). The campus is right next to the ocean so if you don’t want to study in your room, you can go to the beach and study there. Everyday is like an adventure whether you have the day off or if you are headed to class. I love my Monterey Bay family.

Rolando

Really great learning and social environment. Professor genuinely care about how well one does in class and have accessible office hours. Tutoring as well as study halls are open all semester and are able to make easy appointments with advisors and tutors.

Makalah

I love the university because of the smaller class sizes therefore allowing more opportunities to flourish and to create many bonds with the professors. The professors at CSUMB are truly there to help their students succeed in all of their life endeavors. Majority of the teachers are more than happy to assist in help when asked and are understanding that everyone learns at a different pace. As of now there are around 8,000 student that attend the university and has plenty of room to grow in the near future. Another great think about CSUMB is that it is environmentally friendly. There are constant upgrades being made on the school to conserve energy, recycle and much more.

Ariel

The school is small and new-ish, so the facilities are not as great as a bigger, older school. It is cheaper to attend than many schools, but when it comes to academics, you get what you pay for. Most of the teachers are good, but the overall standards are low.

Sabrina

It is a beautiful college with many opportunities to be successful. The environment and people are so nice and comfortable to be around. It's really easy to get around whenever you need to run errands. And I love how they try their hardest to help the students, whether its financially, or emotionally.

Kadie

There are things I like about CSUMB and things that could be better. Over my past three years I have had many wonderful professors that truly care and work above and beyond to provide their students with the best education possible. All the professors and lecturers I have had are all very qualified. They serve as an excellent resource to students looking for research opportunities and internships. I would like to see a more lively atmosphere at CSUMB. CSUMB is a quiet school with a smaller party scene. The food at CSUMB is also not very good. We have a very small selection of places to eat from. There are also not many places in the surrounding city to eat at. The night life in the city is also almost non-existent. The only places open after 9pm are Target and bars.

RooAnne

CSU Monterey Bay does an excellent job in providing various hands-on activities and forms of learning for their students, even for the first year freshmen! Many lectures are supplemented with individual and group projects that bring the course to life and make it applicable to the real world. The students and faculty are very open-minded and work hard to make you feel at home.

Portia

California State University of Monterey Bay is a great college. The school is diverse, the professors are reliant, and the students stick together. My favorite thing this school is that everyone is able to voice their opinions without feeling ashamed and put down. This school give the opportunity for students to express themselves more freely.

Claudia

Love the quiet environment of the campus. The walks to class from my dorm is a great work-out for my legs. Lots of hills. I am ten minutes from the main campus and bus stops. I am new to the area so I'm not sure what's around here besides the small shopping center which is 5 minutes from the school. (Target, Michaels, Old Navy, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Kohl's, Century theater, etc.)

Leslie

It's not the average college experience that you see in movies. If you want a small school where you get to know the people around you, including your professors, then it's perfect. The campus itself is a bit rough, but the Monterey Bay area is beautiful and there are plenty of things to do (i.e. surfing, kayaking, hiking, backpacking, acting like a tourist). Nightlife isn't great in the area, but San Francisco and San Jose are nearby! Professors are always available to help and getting the classes you want isn't too difficult during registration. Overall, it's a great place to be! Go Otters!

Antonio

My overall opinion of California State University-Monterey Bay is positive. I know for a fact that this school may not be the biggest but it does have an interesting atmosphere full of enthusiastic staff and students. Another thing that I like about this school is the fact that my professors are really accessible and are very supporting in their office hours.

Emma

This school has a spirit that is inspiring. For the first time since I can remember, I'm excited to learn and I actually feel like I am learning in class. They teach us the importance of environmental and social issues, and emphasize awareness of those things throughout campus life. I feel like I am making progress in my life and growing as a person, and I'm in the best place to do so.

Ariana

The campus is diverse and secluded. It's a 15 minute walk from the beach, surrounded by the Fort Ord National Monument, and a 15 minute drive from the world famous Monterey Bay Aquarium and several different hiking trails. Professors are very supportive and make themselves readily available tot heir students. The student community is very interconnected and students are encouraged to express their individuality without fear of judgement. Nothing's hotter than an otter.

Janessa

I have visited my school twice and I am so excited and cannot wait to officially be a part of the Otter Family! The students and the staff are all very nice and welcoming and all seem very happy with their jobs and seems happy that we are there.

Grace

CSUMB is a great campus. I have liked my professors so far. I would definitely recommend this university to my friends because I enjoy it. I feel comfortable to be myself on campus and there are many different activities and clubs I can join to meet new people. The campus is pretty clean and the dining hall is nice.

Kyauna

CSUMB has so much potential to be a great school but right now it is lacking. The food choices have gotten better but personally, I would not eat on campus. Those in clubs enjoy the school a lot and often have a vareity of events going on monday - friday. Many students go home over the weekends so it's fairly quiet (definetly not a party school!--If you would like to party good luck). There are a lot of beaches in the city and one not to far away. The city itself doesn't have much to do there is not much of a night life but if you find the right group of friends it is manageable (tip: santa cruz and san jose are not far drives). I recommend bringing a car those without on can use the bus system. The professor remind me of high school teachers. They care a lot and want you to suceed. Many of them have open office hours, review sessions and tutors.

It's the cheapest CSU in the sense of tuition, but on-campus housing can get quite expensive, and off-campus housing is not any better. Being the Monterey peninsula, housing is going to be more expensive, but it is a nice place to be at while in college. There's also free public transportation that can take you all the way to San Jose (you pay reduced prices to come back to Monterey County) so there's really no reason to get out and explore. The professors also tend to be more caring and some even go out of their way to get to know you as a person, while a lot of other professors are more than willing to help you get the resources you need.

Chelsey

I enjoy the intimate class sizes and the teachers so far have been wonderful. I also love how diverse and environmentally conscious we are, as well as open to people of different backgrounds and opinions. CSUMB is easily accessible to where I live and the provide excellent transportation for getting around

Conner

Its a nice small school. but feels more like your in high school all over again but with a re do button. Are mascots cute but there is not much involvement with student to get involved with events on campus. international students get priority over everyone else. we are right by the ocean so the view from certain on campus housing is nice but the view from the 3rd floor of the library is the best.

CSUMB is a diverse school which focuses on student success. Because of its location, there are a lot of people who love hiking and the outdoors. Professors are readily available to help students if and when they made need assistance.

Eros

It's a lot better than going to community college and very inexpensive compared to other Universities. There is a lot of financial and academic resources that are useful and user friendly. Housing isn't too expensive for those who don't want to pay too much by living in a dorm. Their food options are plentiful but commonly below averaged when it comes to quality.

Desiree

As a future full-time student at CSUMB, who plans on succeeding on all of her academics, I believe that CSUMB's academics are great and are a perfect class size for me. After visiting an admitted student reception, I was stun with the professors and courses that were offered. The campus isn't as big and definitely not crowded, which attracts me to the school more. The smaller class size will help the students become more intimate with the professor and will raise the percentage of successful students.

Anon

Don't go here for CompSci. Your degree is worth about as much as toilet paper. Unless you actively teach yourself the industry-required knowledge you won't get it in class, and most of the stuff they teach you in class isn't relevant to real work at all. Program difficulty is a joke, I practically slept through my classes and still got As in every single one except the one that was so badly planned that the professor had to give everyone a B to avoid the university getting sued. I graduated and no one would hire me, here we are almost a year later and still no one will hire me. I don't even get class back, and several people I've talked to at meetups have expressed that they don't consider CSUMB's academics to be up to par (I won't name names, but the companies are located in San Jose, Seattle, Edmonton, and Austin). Seriously, don't go here for this program. If you can't get into to SJSU just do something else. I actually was accepted to SJSU and I spent the entirely of my time at CSUMB asking myself why I didn't just go there, but none of my classes would transfer out anyway so it was a moot point.

Antonio

I think this is a good school just to get work done. It is not much of a party school and the class sizes are fairly small. The computer science major is given a lot of support. For example, every Friday all CS majors are welcomed to a gathering. In the gathering professors go over CS problems, CS concepts, and most importantly internship opportunities/ support.

Andriana

CSUMB is a great school with a fun atmosphere, that is still great for academics.

Courtney

California state university Monterey Bay is a quiet, secluded college in the most beautiful location. Surrounded by mountains on one side and ocean on the other there is something for everyone to love. It is also a very close knit community so there is always someone up for the adventure of your choosing.

Gilbert

I go to CSUMB through a program known as CS-in-3. It is an accelerated Bachelor's degree program, allowing selected students to graduate in 3 years. My experience in the program has been amazing so far. After going to CSUMB for quite some time, I absolutely love it. It is such a pleasant campus to be able to attend, and I would even describe it as cozy. I am very lucky to be able to attend such an amazing university.

Faith

CSUMB has many fantastic attributes that really make it stand out from other universities. The campus feels refreshing, right near the ocean, with fog on some days and warm sunny days on others. We are surrounded by hiking trails and beautiful landscapes that can be seen from our hilltop. The students are extremely lively and everyone has an opinion. I wouldn't find my home at any other school.

I really enjoy the vibe. It is very peaceful and quiet. Even though there are plenty of parties and substance usages and what have you, it's not really something that encompasses the school spirit and environment. I feel I can truly focus anywhere on campus and I love how supportive and accepting this campus is.

Xavier

I love the fact that the college is located near the beach and I think it’s a great school to go to. Also, the area where the college is located is peaceful and calm. I feel like trying to focus won’t be a big problem at the college. It’s just seems like a great place to be going to college at. However, from being here for a semester and a half, I’ve noticed that the Student Disabilities Resources Center at the school is understaff and I have ran into some issues with faculty members from different departments including Student Disabilities Resources.

Lorraine

I think CSU Monterey Bay is a really good choice for a college. The opportunities you get at this school are amazing, such as internships, recreational activities for free or at a very low price, great clubs, a beautiful campus, beautiful nearby beaches, great professors, and an overall great experience.

Alyssa

My overall opinion of CSUMB is that I really love this school and what it brings. The class sizes are perfect to get the one on one help, and if you cannot get it from the professor then they offer tutors that help and it is very useful. The students are nice to one another and the campus is beautiful and right by the beach!

Amaris

I love Cal State Monterey Bay. Definitely, it's pretty small but cozy. One thing that I really enjoyed in this university it the diversity that displays. We have people from multiple different countries. Another astonishing thing about CSUMB is how close it to the ocean and it's marvelous. Overall, this school has won my heart!

Natalie

I feel like the campus is known for its diverse student body as well as faculty and staff. I wish there were more options for housing and the campus was more accommodating for commuter students since there is a large group of students that drive to the campus for classes on a daily basis. There are not a lot of options for food located on the campus​ and again are not very commuter student friendly. However, the campus is spread out and classes are small so you never feel trapped or like you're seeing the same person everywhere!

Frankie

Overall a good school. Pros: -smaller school gives more community. -passionate professors -professors available -fair amount of internships available -bus system gives access to canary row -good marine biology department -eco friendly -30 minute walk to the beach Cons: -not much to do in the area -expensive food -party scene is lacking -parking is limited

Anon

I went to this school for 1 1/2 years and I regret it greatly. I was hoping to go here for some fun times and finish my GEs so I could transfer. If you are into any form of outdoor activity, like jogging, or biking, do NOT come here. You would think this being a school known for being 'environmentally conscious' there would be a higher proportion of people into biking, or self locomotion, but it is actually far less common here than other schools. Road infrastructure is poor and the design of the campus is really spread out and hard to get around. I would go on long runs 5 times a week along coastal trails and see no one around. The school is so small it feels like a second high school. You see the same few dozen people in the dining areas every day. The social life is a joke, I went to a few beach parties (uninvited), the East Campus parties are okay but pretty tame. If you are into parties, don't come here because you will be very disappointed. Most people at the school are the nerdy shut in type. The food services are good with a wide variety of healthy and unhealthy foods. Most of my roommates were either stuck up or just plain stupid. Also, If you have problems with your neighbors, good luck because you are screwed. I was graced with 2 chain smoking, disgusting, obnoxious exchange student neighbors that blew smoke through the rooms constantly, screamed at night, and my RAs did nothing whatsoever about this. I ended up sleeping in the closet on a roll out mattress the whole time! Also, unless you are a transfer student over 21, you will never be able to get a house in East Campus (go figure.)

Monica

California State University of Monterey Bay is a welcoming campus that include outstanding professors! I always feel safe on campus and the resources are always available.

Eva

I went there for one semester, really excited to go and be part of something new since I am from Southern California. I was so disappointed with the school I came back after the fall semester. The junior housing was a nightmare, there were barely any healthy options for food that actually tasted alright, and it was extremely hard to get to know people since there weren’t a lot of extracurricular events.

Maximilian

Here at California State University-Monterey Bay, I have found a home and a great place to pursue my Bachelor's Degree. I believe that the students and staff at the university have a great understanding of the pursuit of knowledge and inclusiveness. The college looks to foster and promote a better learning environment to the under served communities through multilingual, multicultural, gender-equitable learning. These are only a few things that make the university a great institution to attend. There are sports, both collegiate and recreational, available to students. Furthermore, there are plenty of resources available to students if they choose to attend.

Asia

California State University-Monterey Bay is a good place to experience something new. I am originally from an area where it is mostly city life. So it was a huge change with being surround by nature but I am glad I took it. I never seen the sunset as pretty in San Fernando Valley. The area is very cleansing. The glasses are usually small which is great because we all talk which is part of our grade. I got opportunities that I never thought I would before. i recommend that people do come to the school. But most definitely bring a car for travel since things are farther away. On the bright side though, the buses are free for CSUMB students.

Isabel

Overall, California State University, Monterey Bay is a great school. I always run into smiling faces on the way to class and the professors are there to help! I would recommend this school to anyone. It's not a big campus like some other Cal State schools, however the smaller campus and small classroom sizes are what make CSUMB feel so welcoming and like home!

Melanie

I think it is a very welcoming campus with friendly students. A lot of the clubs there pertain to my interests and I am excited to join them. They have a lot of helpful and useful opportunities for their students and have the cutest mascot. Their campus is also very beautiful and in a great location.

Leland

My opinion is varied when it comes to different pieces of the school. On one hand I think there are a ton of opportunities to be had that the school offers pretty regularly. However, on the other hand, the school has a large amount of work to do in providing student with adequate recreational facilities and things to do. On top of that, a wider varied of food is a much needed improvement for the school

Krysta

California State University, Monterey Bay is a wonderful school. This school promotes self-care and provides very amounts of learning opportunities for the benefit of your learning. The school is not actually in Monterey but it is 10-20 minutes away, so it would be helpful to bring a car on campus.