California State University-Northridge Top Questions

Armen

You will find students from many different backgrounds. So there is no problem of fitting in.

Imany

For us students to come from different backgrounds and cultures, we all appreciate eachothers diffeences and learn new things from eachother.

Tyree

My classmates are very funny and uplifting i love that i love being able to have met such interesting people.

Sharra

My classmates were mainly to themselves and didn't just talk to any and everybody.

My classmates are supportive.

Majid

Students who are very competitive or who want a full college experience may not like CSUN. Most students wear everyday shirts and jeans in the early fall and late spring, and you see a lot of CSUN sweatshirts in the winter period. Most students are from the San Fernando Valley who commute. The campus is very diverse so many different types of students do interact.

My classmates were enthusiastic and excited to be there.

Elena

My classmates are of mixed backgrounds, and many have different sexual preferances other than my own.

Bianca

classmates at my school are very friendly, social, enthusiastic and openminded.

Mayra

Some classmates keep to themselves. Other are very freiandly and ready to help anyone.

Vijay

My classmates were friendly and most of them were dedicated to perform well in class to obtain a good grade.

Leland

My classmates were my stregnth, support and reason I made it through.

Jisun

They are all very friendly as much as the characteristics of the major, music industry, which is required more cares of social network in the field than any other majors.

Adrian

At CSUN, everyone is friendly and willing to get to know one another. Don't deny someone the pleasure of having a conversation with you for a couple of minutes. There is a strong sense of community among CSUN students, most people will hold the door for you or smile while passing you on a walkway. There are a variety of different ethnicities and backgrounds at CSUN, this allows us to get to know things we wouldn't normally get to in day-to-day life.

Pass...

michelle

my classmates have been very helpful and i have gained many friend by having them first as classmates. overall my classmates were amazing!

Maria Victoria

Students in my class are all very dedicated individuals who excel in their studies, have a good social life, and who also are helpful to their peers in times of need.

Vincent

Like I said before, CSUN is one of, if not, the most diverse school in Southern California. The students are extremely active, even if they are commuters. They make you feel at home, they don't exclude you from any social groups, and they're just fun to be around. The friendliest kids you'll ever meet.

Obviously, there are many students from different backgrounds, characteristics, and financial status. When you walk around the campus, you can see the diversity the university has. So far, it seems that everyone is equally treated with respect. However, you do see that students interact particulary with their specific race. I feel that the reason is that people tend to feel more connected or relate to people like them. Yet, I do not think that there would be a person who would feel out of place at CSUN.

There are a variety of students that attend CSUN from all over the world. What I found incredible about the students that are from other countries, they participate in a group called SPICE where they give lectures to classrooms about the health care in their country compared to the health care here in the U.S. No student that attends CSUN would feel out place because there are every kind of race imaginable at CSUN, we are all culturally aware, which has us not discriminate those of other races. Students at CSUN always have a goal on their mind which is to succeed in life with being employed. There are resources that alumni can always go back to to get help in finding a job if necessary.

Tianna

My classmates are goal-driven, they want to get things done, and they are friendly and make you feel at home.

Students at CSUN are extremely friendly and eager to learn everyday. There are definitely a vast amount of different races at CSUN, which, in my opinion, makes this campus so unique. All students interact with each other and it is very easy to make new friends on campus. Students' wardrobe to class varies, but I would say that it is not important at all. People dress as they please, not to please anyone. You will find that many students on campus commute, but I have met many people who came to study at CSUN from different parts of California, different states, even different countries.

CSUN is a very diverse campus. We also have many organizations which have as aim to keep students interested in school in an otherwise typical Los Angeles area commuter school. We also have greek organizations that are either national or cultural. Personally, I got involved in at least four organizations in my two years there.

I love how diverse CSUN is! Just the other day I was haveing a conversation with an international student from Germany and learned a lot about their culture. There are so many different kinds of people that go to CSUN and I try to learn about other student's beliefs and culture. M

Dhanesh

As I previously said, the environment at CSUN is very social. It is almost impossible to NOT be involved on campus. With such a diverse population (many Hispanic and Asian), everyone on campus easily gets along. There is no possible way for any student to feel out of place. Since the campus community is so large, there are over 400 clubs, organizations, fraternities, and sororities. Because of the various backgrounds, discrimination and racial jokes are strongly looked down upon. At CSUN, students are also able to express themselves through peaceful protests and their clothing. As far as I am concerned, there is no dress code on campus. As for financial situation, many students on campus are either of the lower or middle class. Overall, the campus is home to all backgrounds, be they rich, poor, black, white, Democratic, Republican, or anything else.

Malachi

People are pretty uptight, and can seem pretentious. Nobody really cares about political issues or even fighting spikes of tuition, the general studentship doesn't organize very well and is generally really passive. There's a lot of people (especially in the frats/sororities) who aren't that smart but are still full of themselves, but some of them get weeded out as the classes get harder up the food chain. There's not really a set type of student stereotype, it's very diverse here, and our school is very progressive. As long as you're sociable and outgoing you'll find plenty of other people to fit in with. If you're not sociable, better get some books on it and read up, or you'll be spending a lot of time by yourself. My experience has been that no one is going to approach you if you don't seem cool enough or aren't good looking, but hey, that's what the frats are for.

Malachi

People are pretty uptight, and can seem pretentious. Nobody really cares about political issues or even fighting spikes of tuition, the general studentship doesn't organize very well and is generally really passive. There's a lot of people (especially in the frats/sororities) who aren't that smart but are still full of themselves, but some of them get weeded out as the classes get harder up the food chain. There's not really a set type of student stereotype, it's very diverse here, and our school is very progressive. As long as you're sociable and outgoing you'll find plenty of other people to fit in with. If you're not, better get some books on it and read up, or you'll be spending a lot of time in the library by yourself. My experience has been that no one is going to approach you if you don't seem cool enough or aren't good looking, but hey, that's what the frats are there for.

Klementina

Students are friendly and we have a diverse population. Usually it is hot, so mostly shorts and T-shirts.

Styles

All of my classmates are diverse and it gives you a snse of a multi-cultural environment.

Cathy

CSUN students are EXTREMELY diverse. I have met students from all over the world! I have had classmates from Macedonia, India, Sri Lanka, Nigeria, China, and Maylasia among others. There are also students from all walks of life; there are some who are first generation college students from the inner cities, and there are some who are from wealthy families in the valley! There are LGBTQ groups on campus, as well as various religious clubs. There is even a diverswity of age groups on campus, with a number of students who are older and returning to school to finish degrees they started years ago. No matter who you are, you can find a place to fit in at CSUN. As for politics, I would say that nearly everyone outside of the business school is left of center, while those from the business school are more on the right. The liberal arts students are very politically aware, and have protests and all kind of things. The business students usually roll their eyes laugh at the liberal hippies, and think about how much more successful they'll be than the liberal arts students. Since it's such a large school, though, you don't run into much confrontation or other issues that can result from varying political views.

Not a lot of students engage in the activities on campus that can heighten their involvement. Since CSUN is typically a commuter school, there is a lack of school spirit. Many students, however, are working nonstop to pay for their education while dealing with classes. Since CSUN is no UC or Ivy League, there are more students involved in the financial aid program because their fiscal income does not cover the rising tuition.

Therese

Pretty diverse. Party animals, mostly. Every once in a while you see a nerd.

Not a lot of students engage in the activities on campus that can heighten their involvement. Since CSUN is typically a commuter school, there is a lack of school spirit.

hector

The student population provides great variety. Christianity and Judaism sometimes have strong precenses in the school mainly during holiday seasons. The LGBT clubs dont have such a strong precense but they have enough presence for me to know what they are up to. I dont think anyone would feel out of place at this school because its so diverse. Mostly everyone wears casual clothing, nothing fancy just the usual things. The largest ethnicity of students are latino or white, i am not so sure because I usually see about the same percentage of both enthnicities. Mostly everyone is middle-class, but there are also some high-class students. There is almost no political activity on campus, but many conversations do include political issues.

Jacleen

My classmates are of every type, class, gender, race, nationality, culture, and mindset; in a word, diverse.

My classmates are interactive and very mature compared to what I'm used to.

Sofia

My classmates are not only helpful and understanding but are culturally different, each one has a passion to learn and experience where everyone comes from and the story they have to tell.

Teresa

My classmates were Diverse, friendly individuals.

They are friendly and very helpful, and they are eager to learn.

Marilyn

They are school spirited and helpful with each other.

My classmates were very diverse, usually kind and associable.

Dalia

My classmates at CSUN are very divers.

Guillermo

The students at CSUN at very laid back.

Loyda

There are many ethnic groups in my school, that means a lot of different people and that makes a classroom more interesting because most of my classmates have different opinions and they invite shy students to participate in the class discussions and it makes everyone feel comfortable to express themselves.

My classmates are friendly, mature people that can always give you some knowledge that you are not aware of.

ken

They are wonderful though they don't talk to me as much.

Alberto

I belong to CSUN's Athletic Training Education Program which consists of 15 goal driven and ambitious students.

Melisa

my classmates are very friendly, energetic, attentive and participate alot in class; but yet at times they can be lazy and miss classes causing their grades to go down, and affect their chances of passing the course.

The classes is diverse and full of different kinds of people ethnicity wise, but commonly everyone strives to be successful and to be the top of the class; however most of the time fellow students are extremely friendly and if something is unclear, they will be willing to spend time or form study groups which anyone who needs help can partake in to gain a better understanding of the material.

varied backgrounds