California State University-Northridge Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California State University-Northridge

Good services for hard-hearing and deaf people. Great advisors to meet every student's needs and academic goals. I really like how CSUN able to handle the safety of every CSUN member during 2020. Their library is a great place to study, relax, talk to people and other good things for us.

Dana

I love California State University-Northridge, it has such a great campus. There is always events and activities going on on campus you will never get bored. People are friendly if you want to make friends just go ahead and talk to them, people might seem intimating at first but once you break the ice they are very friendly and nice,

Angelica

I’m glad to call myself a matador! This school has given me the opportunity to be part of something great! Since my freshman year at CSUN I have been able to gain an immense amount of knowledge that has prepared me to want to pursue a masters degree in social work at CSUN. I recently applied to the MSW program and look forward to continuing my education at CSUN.

Aylin

It is a great school. The environment between students is amazing. People are really nice. There are so many resources available to the student. Professors are great. Housing is the best. You make connections. Overall, it is an amazing choice you will succeed here.

Sophia

Overall, I love being part of such a unique and diverse crowd. CSUN is always there to make you feel welcome and ensure the safety of all of their students. At first, it was a little hard for me to adjust to the college scene but as soon as I started attending classes there were people I could find that helped me get through it! Professors are always there for their students and can usually help point their students in the right direction if they don't have the immediate solution.

Tanya

California States University of Northridge is one of the most diverse universities from all CSUs. The school has many well known and distinguishable programs, and most of the time the staff and students are friendly and approachable . The campus is close to local restaurants and small businesses accessible to the students. I love CSUN because you can never be bored, there is always an event, conference, or something to do.

Abel

Cal State Northridge is a great school. As a transferred student, I did not know what to expect. The campus is great, there are plenty of clubs and organizations to participate in. there are plenty of programs that assists you throughout your academic career as well as professors to guide you for success. Aside from student life, CSUN is a great safe campus.

Jenny

My overall opinion of CSU-Northridge is that it's a very open campus. Mostly all people, students and faculty, are willing to share conversation whether academic or not. There are some issues, like parking but what campus doesn't have that issue? There are great amount of opportunities that fit any and every students enjoyment to get involved.

Gricelda

This is a great school and although I am a fully online student, I am still able to reach my professors with ease through telephone or email. The professors are very skilled and have great experience in the field they are teaching. I constantly receive emails about socializing events as well as other workshops and events in which the students and relatives can attend. Volunteering opportunities are always available on campus or off-campus; information is emailed to us.

If you are looking just to go to college, and not have any fun go to CSUN (California State University--Northridge). If you are looking to have the time of your life go to CSUN. My school is literally what you make of it. My first year, I hated it because I wasn't involved in anything, I went to class and back to my dorm. Sophomore year I joined different clubs and organizations such Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Black Student Union, Sistahood and many others. Greek life, depends on your council, we have 57 different fraternities and sororities on campus. Every council is different. My council National Pan-hellenic Council services the community also while having fun. We host many events such as Domestic Violence and Breast Cancer Awareness. Our food is mediocre, we don't have a set cafeteria, unless you are in the dorms and it's called Gerominoe's. On campus, we have Burger King, El Pollo Loco, Subway, Juice it up. Panda Express. We also have the Pub Sports Grill and Bar, Arbor grill, and Seirra Marketplace. The Marketplace has the best quesadillas and chicken tenders . Unfortunately, we do not have Starbucks but we do have Freudian Sip, no complaints. Our professors, will only engage if you engage. They can either treat you like they care or another number. My advice is go to Office Hours. Each college at my University has advisors, and they're great. They are helping me stay on track with graduating in 4 years, CSUN's average graduation rate is 5 years. When registering for classes try to get early registration by helping disabled students, joining clubs and things of that nature. Students don't really care about the athletics, we don't have a football team. Basketball gets the most attention but still no one really cares but the athletes. All three years, I have been here, I still haven't gone to a basketball game. Our Student Recreation Center is nothing short of amazing. It has three levels, the third one being a track. The SRC also offers, classes my favorite is Zumba. Recently, added is the Oasis Wellness Center. You can get a full body massage, we have nap pods, and many other relaxing features. Lastly, CSUN students receive 20 free prints a day and $10 printing credit per year at the library. Also, in the library we have a free 3D printer. Our Learning Resource Center is also good for tutoring, tailoring resume's and papers. Don't be afraid if you see a squirrel or two around, they're our unofficial mascot.

Destiny

California State University Northridge is a great college. I was reluctant to attend this college but now that I am a student here it is the best decision I could have made in my life. They care about your safety, social life, and academics. California State University Northridge provides resources for students who have learning disabilities, counselors for those who may be dealing with depression, and fun activities on Thursday to take a break from whatever one may be dealing with throughout the week.

Niema

The campus of Northridge is very beauty, the weather not so much because it can get hot in the valley. Just like another other college it an great education. Also this campus is sometime used for movies or shows and might meet a celebrity.

Serena

It is a renovated college after the 1994 Northridge earthquake, so the architecture and buildings are modern and new. The campus does not serve healthy food, mostly fast food chains or poor quality cafeteria food. The professors seem busy with outside academic life, and classes seem ill-prepared and low priority. Most professors have strict participation criterias, such as points towards your final grade that could either make or break your grade. There has been multiple reported cases of sexual assaults on campus at night time. Overall rating is 3 out of 5 stars.

Sumethash

Well as far as the facilities go, It is a top notch school. But I had the worst experience with professors through out my life in csun. A little about me, I'm a budding research engineer at the Famous Indian Institute of Science. Seeing that in my resume i was called upon by a professor of Mechanical Engineering where I WAS ASSURED of getting paid but i was let down. Another professor handling the subject AE 480 never cared about giving feedbacks about my assignments, However he only evaluated only one assignment out of 7 where i stood top in the class. Later on i was accused that i had copied the report from another person, However upon evaluation it showed a 20% plagiarism which i feel is average also provided the citations for the same which was a couple of textbooks and a reference journal. The way i was treated by him was pathetic he himself quoted saying " I don't want to see you in the department, beyond that if you do show up in the class i will make sure that i will fuck your grades up" Just a school of betrayers. God save the current international students. Current international students. And not to forget rude employees at the office of graduate studies, and a old hag of a current VP Dr. Shiffar who never cares about the wellness or even help the international students. P.S. I was a student suffering from a health condition which was also disregarded by the heartless management.

Jovon

The perfect university for someone who wants an affordable quality education. CSUN is so overrated! I went here for my undergrad and now am attending graduate school here. I stayed in the dorms for the first 2 years and it was great! Had a lot of support from my resident advisors, the cafeteria food was really good, and they put on a lot of great events. The other campus programs, events, and resources are also really valuable. I have had some amazing professors and the campus is absolutely beautiful! Definitely happy to be a student here.

Nairi

CSUN is a very welcoming school with a warm atmosphere and diverse population. The school may not be known for hosting wild college parties but they make up for it with their strong academics. The people there are very friendly and eager to help you out which is refreshing and it certainly made my first day there easier. Overall, the school has a very stimulating environment that will always make you feel comfortable at the same time.

Keven

My experience at CSUN has been good, it's close to my home so the commute is easy and affordable. They have good facilities there is a gym with an upstairs track field used for running and an indoor Rockwall plus the cafeteria has Panda Express, Pollo Loco, Burger King, and other healthy food options. There are places where one can socialize and there are many events that let one socialize.

Laura

I transferred from a community college and commuted for my first year here, so I wasn't able to take full advantage of everything CSUN has to offer. There is a brand new gym that offers free active classes that consist of yoga, spin, boxing and several others. Most of faculty I've experienced has been very quick to respond to any questions, concerns and emails you may have. On life campus is great. There is a yearly show "The Big Show" where there are famous artists who perform for student at night. Great way to get to each other on a personal level.

Sandra

In my most honest opinion, I want to say that I am very happy to be attending a school that cares about its students and not only that but also, how they help their students whether it's academically or even mentally or emotionally. There are so many resources for us to use around campus which is really beneficial for us to use.

Cynthia

I really enjoy the environment here at CSUN. Being around people who love this school, makes me a proud Matador. It's impossible to see someone not wear CSUN gear on campus. I sometimes see professors wear CSUN gear as well. Aside from school pride, this campus has been home to multiple big screen movies like Sky High.

I am a current student and it is my first year at Cal State Northridge and I love it. I went here because the university has a great business program and I am a Business Management major. I know the area since I have been living here my whole life and it may be horrible to find parking but I love this university and the people are nice.

Diego

Some departments are pretty good. I started off as a civil engineering major and the intro class wasn't great. The math classes are good, you'll learn a lot as long as you don't slack off too much. I switched to screenwriting because the film programs are great here. I housed my first year and the apartments were cool, but I heard suites are way too tiny. I used a meal plan, but it's cheaper to get groceries. I was too lazy for that, but if you get a meal plan get the lowest plan. I usually only ate there 1-2 times a day and remained full for the majority of the day. The neighboorhood is pretty safe, but there aren't many things to do nearby without a car. There's 3 movie theaters nearby and 1 mall. There's a lot of nearby food places. but they close early so I would recommend ordering Domino's when you stay up late. The campus food marts, Mercados, are expensive as hell; you're better off going somewhere else. Also, meal plans bring dining dollars which can be used at the food marts and the fast food areas as well. The campus is either really hot or really windy so beware of that. I heard parking is expensive as well so many park off campus. Almost everyone I met at the dorms was a pothead, so if you're not into weed ( I wasn't) you won't have as much fun.

Jaylen

Very good school .. professors are more for the students needs in helping them keep good grades . Great diversity in the school not just one predominate ethicnic group . Great school must check it out, take a college tour , learn about the many programs they have for the students.

CSUN is a great place for commuters to go and get an affordable education. They are known for specific programs such as business, kinesiology, and speech pathology. The newest facility is the REC center and the gym equipment is very diverse and new equipment. The academics are mostly focused on supporting the Hispanic or Latino cultures, and there is a very large community of this population.

Leticia

California State University Northridge was a really good school, and a school that I will go back to. They offer everything you need to succeed. Whatever question you have, you can find the answer. It’s an overpopulated school, but they have a great staff and alumni.

Andrea

I love it!!

Billy

California State University-Northridge is wonderful. It has different groups of people and cool clubs. they is so much to do and sometime to little time. people at this school are not shy to share their idea and opinions about topic. they also have many self-care programs.

It's okay; not too hard academically. There's a lot to do on campus if you take the time to look around. Last semester I think there was even some sort of holiday card making booth. I've never been in the dorms, but y oldest sister says it's nice. Don't rent an apartment next to campus; it's really expensive and smaller than the size of an average classroom. Save your money for something else.

Angela

Csun is a very fun school and it gives you the opportunity to meet many people of many communities/cultures. This campus is very diverse and if you have an art related major you'll love it! There are also a lot of fun events and clubs to join/ attend. Very social campus.

My overall opinion of this campus is that I am seriously in love with it! It might be considered a part of Los Angeles, but it is actually located in a softer location called the San Fernando Valley. It is surrounded by tons of middle class families as there are all sorts of grade schools surrounding the campus. The campus is also incredibly secured! There are at least four police stations within a 2 mile radius of the campus; there also is a police station located right on campus. The police officers are excellent when it comes to the campus. They offer an escort for students who are alone and out of class after sunset and before sunrise to the parking lots, or even to the student housing on campus. Patrol cars also travel around the campus 24/7. The campus is also huge on doing student events. For the week before finals, the campus puts on a "Stress-Free Week" where they allow students to wind down before finals. Fall of 2015, they actually brought in an ice rink and allowed students to go ice skating on campus for free! During the actual week of finals, the campus gives students free breakfast, lunch, and even free test supplies each day! The campus is always trying to improve the lives of the students; every Tuesday is a farmer's market, every Thursday is craft day and a free concert with food, and the first Tuesday of the fall semester is an academic fair to welcome all the students and hand out goodies. Surveys are frequently taken to ask about lifestyle on campus and how to improve it. Spring of 2016, the campus adhered to their students and created the Oasis. The Oasis is a spa on campus. It offers a place in the AC, or even a place outside, to rest, study, be stress free, and even to nap for a couple hours in the peaceful environment; they also provide services such as acupuncture, aroma therapy, massages, and so much more. The best part about the campus though, in my opinion, is that campus has an orange grove! The orange grove is in the southeast side of the campus. The grove is even a host to hundreds of turtles, geese and ducks seeing as how in the middle of the grove is a pond. The campus is also incredibly diverse with people from all over the country as well! You really never know what you can find on this campus unless you personally go and experience it yourself. Cal State Northridge, or CSUN as we all call it here, certainly has lots of secrets behind its doors, and they can only be unlocked once you open the door. Everyone has a key, it's just a matter of whether you use it or not.

Kevin

My overall opinion with CSUN is that it is a great school to attend. The resources are great and the campus is very clean. The library is the perfect place to study. There are several groups and clubs that are available in order to get the most out of your college experience.

Raul

CSUN has been great to me. I have been to many campus across the nation and CSUN is one of the most student friendly I have ever been to. CSUN is clean, safe and full of amenities including relaxation pods, phone charging stations, study rooms and recreational areas. The faculty in my program have all been very helpful and my class peers have all been awesome. I highly recommend CSUN to anyone looking for a high quality education without breaking the bank.

Jackelyn

CSUN is a diverse campus that offers great facilities for the use of academics or simply relaxation. I really enjoy being a matador because I am able to receive an education on a big campus yet I see familiar faces in my classes. Overall CSUN is an amazing campus with all the resources it has for its students from events to being able to have strikes to fight for our own rights! I am proud to be a matador.

Kimian

In my opinion, I find CSUN to be a very peculiar university. I suppose that I had some reservations about the school prior to my attendance that had me looking at it with a very critical eye. I found that there were many on-campus clubs and activities that were out there and bizarre, downright wonderful honestly. Also, the facilities meant more than my expectations, I was enthralled by the architecture and overall atmosphere of the campus, I had assumed the worst before, but I was pleased to see that the place's "reputation" wasn't what my high school classmates had made it out to be.

Eboni

California State University Northridge has exceeded my expectations. I knew they were famous for their Deaf program, and that is exactly what my major is. There are many opportunities to get involved with my major even outside of the classroom. The teachers are very helpful and enjoy what they do and only want the best for your education. There are also a lot of opportunities to get involved around campus such as living learning themed dorms, clubs/organizations, and sports teams.

Andrew

CSUN is not a first choice school for most of it's students. It definitely was not my first choice, mainly because I live five minutes away, but it is the cheapest university around which forcibly made it my first choice. At first, I regretted not going away for college, however throughout the time I have been here, I have grown fond of almost every aspect of this school, and presently would not change my decision to attend this university. The academic programs coupled with fun and opportunistic campus life make it a great school for both commuters and live-on-campus students. The campus itself is also quite beautiful. There is always a quiet place to study or unwind from the stress of classes. One major critique however is the number of students on campus. At times it can get quite congested to the point where there is no car parking left. Otherwise CSUN is a great school for anyone looking to pursue a college education for a cheap cost.

Autumn

If a student who is conservative is planning on attending they are in for a treat. Professors are constantly bashing on students who don't share the same view point as them. I had a professor that went on and on about white people being the problem. However, I know the program I am looking to be in is one of the best in the USA so I have to deal with that. I recommend this school only if the program they offer is exceptional. I do like their housing and how many themed buildings they have. The building I live in is the Deaf and hard-of-hearing building and that has definitely enhanced my experience. If you are into partying then this is the school for you, but if you are not into partying and school with professors that alienate you if you are a conservative you're definitely going to want to fly under the radar.

marissa

Cal State University, Northridge is an amazing school that combines all of the desired needs a college student wants. There are countless available resources online and on-campus for all of those interested, and the school is always willing to help out with any problems. The campus has a great layout, and in addition the overall environment is welcoming. CSUN is without a doubt an amazing university for all of those whom are looking to further their education at an incredible place.

Daisy

It’s a great school with a variety of academic opportunities and fun events at the end of the year , however, the police department could be improved because sometimes I do feel unsafe in class and on-campus. Over the past year, we have received questionable threats and nothing big was done to help us, until parents and families got involved. Still, despite the threats and the lack of action from our police department, this school really offers opportunities in whatever you’re majoring.

Lucia

It's a pretty solid school; although the parking is basically always wrecked because we're a huge commuter school. It's a massive, gorgeous campus, and there's always something going on either on campus, or around it. Don't forget to check out the VPAC for rad performances!

Mara

This school is only good for the self motivated. It is very difficult to get guidance, plan academics and change majors. Campus is nice and does feel safe, so I suppose that's the trade off. Some times, not getting support is enough to make you feel like a failure in school and, unfortunately, that is what happened to me. I attended this university twice and both time I only got help from the online resources that I had to figure out on my own.

Devyn

Overall, I like California State University, Northridge. If you want a school that has football or a huge sports community than this probably isn't the school for you, simply because sports are not the main focus on campus. If you just want to get your degree and get out without all the "fluff" than this is the school for you, because that is what most of the students are there for. Overall, CSUN has just enough happening for you to get involved on campus, but not too much that you feel like just a number. The facilities at CSUN could be better, but the best part about the school is the professors. They really want to help you succeed which is extremely supportive. Overall, CSUN is a great school, but it gets a bad reputation because it is typically a commuter school.

Mary

I feel that CSUN is the best place to get an education from. It allows students to connect and to see things in a brighter perspective. I honestly like this college and would like to attend here. I would definitely recommend others to come here and to see how they like the campus and the atmosphere of it.

Thea

I am so glad I decided to go to California State University-Northridge. The professors and classes are great and I have made so many good friends already. The campus is awesome- big but contained with a lot of green space for being in LA County. It's really easy to get involved because there is something for everyone.

alfred

CSUN is an amazing school with amazing teachers. The engineering faculty are amazing at what they do. they have the ability to teach anyone at a fast pace as long as the student is willing to put work in it. Professor have given us their private cell phone numbers so we may be able to call them for help anytime as long as we respect their privacy and personal life. Overall i love CSUN due to the professors, facilities, students, events, enthusiasm and many more.

Salma

When I first applied to CSUN i was not sure how everything was going to be like. I was afraid of not fitting in but once I started my freshmen year this past semester it made me feel more comfortable and home. The professors I had last semester were really nice and understandble. I also saw a really great diversity, which is really important nowadays. In conclusion CSUN is a really great University. People are really nice and so it’s surroundings.

Asha

I feel as if the school is a great start to branch out and view the community as it is and what it has to offer. The community is big and diverse so you can join any social group and have friends throughout your whole life. California State University Northridge is a great way to start your professional career.

Leilani

My overall opinion of California State University of Northridge is that there’s so much diversity. There is alot of involvment at CSUN such as sports, clubs, and more! CSUN is a safe enviroment and the professors are always there to help during there office hours.

Katia

CSUN is a great campus with lots of activities to participate in. Overall, in my department, professors are available and resourceful. I definitely believe the school prepares the students for success. Campus Security​ has been increasing which in my opinion is great due to the increase in incidences.

Genna

I am a current CIT student at California State University Northridge and I am proud to say that. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to accomplish what I wanted to do with my life attending this school but not anymore. There is more to this college than just getting a degree despite it being known as a 'get in and get out' type of school. I am taking my time here because I enjoy being here. I have made a lot of friends in and outside of my major that I am happy to be with. I am a member of their computer security club. There is a lot of opportunity here that many people don't take advantage of. I am happy where I am at despite some issues with human resources.