California State University-Sacramento

« See more reviews of California State University-Sacramento

The current economic crisis without our state and loss of funding to universities resulted in cancelled classes, furloughed teachers and placed 15 unit course limits on all freshmen. I found it impossible to get required general education and engineering classes. The classes I did take were extremely crowded, lecture and lab times were reduced due to the furloughs and this resulted in additional workload for the students. The first year of college is challenging without the added pressure of fewer classes and forced furloughs and school closure days. I never anticipated these additional problems beyond my control.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the fewer classes that were available during spring 2010 registration. Sacramento's State Hornet Newspaper stated that ,"Although Sacramento State received $1.5 million from the chancellor's office to add more classes and sections to the spring semester, certain departments still have to make cuts."It is unfair to all students especially graduating seniors who need specific units to graduate on time.During the fall semester we suffered furlough days, jeopardizing our education and now we must suffer a lack of available classes only jeopardizing even more.

My personal experience, the most frustrating thing to me has been tuition, planning classes around my work schedule and parking. But I am also aware that the concerns I may have at my school are not just limited to my school. parking for me has just been a hastle. Not only is the permit very expensive< but worth it<but the meters are hardly ever working if you wanted to purchases a daily permit. There are school everywhere that are having issues with tuition and scheduling conflicts. Other than that, I have not had too many concerns.

I feel that the most frustrating thing about my school is the availability of classes. In my four years at CSUS, I have seen it get more and more difficult to sign up for the classes that a student needs. The professors do try to give preference to graduating seniors so that their graduation won't be delayed another semester; but by this time, the student has been rejected from many classes and his or her graduation has probably already been deferred. Unfortunately, this is something that almost all students are experiencing as well.

The only frustrating thing that i could say about the school is that fact that when it comes to registrating for classes it is difficult to enroll for the classes i need. Students with more units get to register first; therefore, by the time i get to register most of the classes i need are full or with a waiting list. Another frustating thing about this school is the raise in tuition. The first year i enroll they raise tuition for over $1,000 and i was told their might be another tuition raise foe the upcoming school year.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that i believe that our campus security was not improved last semster in fall of 2010 when all of the sexual assaults were happening. They have now imporved our security issue, but last semester i never felt comfortable and secure to walk around campus by myself. I like to study on campus in our 24 hour academic resource center and unfoutunately i was unable to use this area to study in because of the recent sexual assualts and the lack of increased security.

One the most frustrating thing about my school is commuting to school because of the traffic. It is frustrating because all of the parking structures are basically in the same area, thus making the area very crowded when rush hour happens. Because there are many students coming in and many leaving all at the same time, it causes a lot of traffic. This will usually happens around 10am to 11am and 3pm to 4pm. Although this could be frustrating at time, I think this is a common thing at any college.

The problem I still continue to have is the lack of help from the financial aid office. I am currently stuggling to pay for my classes as well as a place to live. My mother is the only parent working and she is still supporting my brothers and sisters. I gave up a good job to go to Sac State which really made me tight on money. When I was trying really hard to find help from their advisors but all of them turned their heads away. They don't give each student enough of their time or help.

The most frustating thing about my school is not having a class you wanted, because the class is closed. Also, being a freshman does not help getting all your classes since freshman's are not the first priority. For this semester I did not get a statistics class and now I have to go to all the statistics classes and hope that one teacher adds me to their class. It is frustating because it slows down your plans to finish all the prerequisite courses for my major which is nursing.

The most frustrating thing about my school would have to be the furlough days that started just this past year. We are paying more tuition for an education and then we recieve less instruction days because it requires that the instructors not do anything school related on those days. That sets us, the students, back and we end up having a limited amount of time to learn the material. It just seems unfair, and that is probably the most frustrating thing about the school.