San Marcos, CA
California State University-San Marcos

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-San Marcos

Gregory

I love that the school is fairly new. The campus is beautiful and the surrounding neighborhood is as well. We have so much access as far as computers, the vast library and the class size. Those factors make it desirable to me rather than your mega campus state schools.

In my particular path that I've chosen, it's taken me quite awhile to finish school. I find it a bit ironic writing this essay under the instructions, as Im now a senior in my final semester at CSUSM. If I were to go back and give myself advice,it would be to take high school and the college transition more seriously. Although I do feel as though I tried hard, my grades were just satisfactory. I didnt invest the time into researching colleges and majors and opportunities. I would tell my younger self to go above and beyond what was asked of me, to learn and aspire without limits. I feel as though I did the bare minimum and now I'm paying for it. In my last two semesters at CSUSM, I made the Dean's List. This has felt like some sort of redemption for the past, but in making the transition I would have told myself to focus more and stay on track despite the alternatives and obstacles around me.

Someone who isn't motivated to do hard work and someone who isn't ready to be challenged. The curriculum I've encountered has made me change my mind about a variety of issues. You will hear and see things you might not be ready for from professors who aim to open the eyes of students. If one is closeminded,then it isnt the school for them.

Greg

Cal State San Marcos is a commuter school without much of a campus community feeling.

The campus is relatively new and some of the buildings are top of the line. The location was also great; warm weather and close to the beach.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would tell myself is "Don't go to Cal State San Marcos! Pick a higher rated school like USC." I would also tell my high school self to get involved in clubs and intramural sports at whatever school I choose. I would recommend to branch off and find friends outside of my roommates and other kids in the dorms. I would say to myself to just be myself and if people don't like me don't care about that. My final recommendation to my high school self would be to make sure I do well academically. I would say that grades are the most important part and just remind myself to not slack off so I can get out of school in four years.

Alexandra

If I could go back in time and talk to myslef as a senior, there is a lot of advice that I would give to myself. It would start out with the relationship aspect of going to college. I would say do not follow any boyfriend to college...it may turn out as pure heartache. I would tell myself to save money instead of taking out so many loans. I would tell myself to live a little and go out with the girls once in a blue moon. I would tell myself to keep in touch with the ones that I love, no matter how far away we live from each other. I would tell myself to never give up even when you feel like the world is coming down around you. I would say never lose faith in God because He is the only thing that will light your path in times of lonliness. I would tell myself to cut my twin sister some slack when she has had a long day and forgot to pick up laundry detergent. I would tell myself to call my parents and say thank you for raising me right.

The best thing about CSUSM is the availability of work on campus. The flexibility of class times is also a great thing.

The worst thing about CSUSM is how hard the school has been hit by budget cuts. We now have implemented furlough days and the professors seem somewhat unmotivated. The classes have been cut short and getting into the nursing program is almost impossible due to limited space.

Allison

My school is best known as a commuter schools (hence the hybrid:)

Take those AP classes seriously because they can save me from taking classes in college that I could have taken in high school.

I felt the transition was easy. I felt high school did provide enough information for me to succeed. I feel very happy the way college has been so far. I feel I'm a part and the teachers have been outstanding so far. I'm considering furthering my education after 4 years at this college. I feel that the college is not too large. The campus is nice and I feel at home there.

The goals are set high to graduate. I feel I will walk away with outstanding education.

Some of the classes are duplicates from high school in which they require you to take to graduate.

Rita

I would tell myself to take my classes more seriously and that there is life after high school so prepare for it.

Kaitlin

smaller, more intimate, great library resources (such as the circuit), always find a parking spot :)

Since I am a Literature and Writing major, I would have advised myself to read more literary works BEFORE I arrived at college. Then I would be better equipped to integrate my prior readings into class discussions now and sound smart :) Also, this would have enabled me to better understand literary movements and periods. Secondly, I would have advised myself to buy my textbooks on amazon.com or from other outside sources. For my first few semesters in college, I bought all my books from the campus book store, and I had the "bright" idea that I should buy all my books new so I could keep them and they wouldn't have any marks on them. Well, it ended up costing me so much money, when I could have just as easily bought all my textbooks from a cheaper source and still kept them. Also, I would have told myself about ratemyprofessors.com the FIRST semester I came to college so I could avoid having some boring professors :)

Self-motivated, critical thinker, writer, artist, musically inclined, small social connections, readers, social reconstructionists, liberal, postmodern

Kelsey

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to apply to the UC system. I feel that I should be challenging myself more, and wish I could have gone somewhere else in the state to where I didn't have to live at home. However, I am content with the school I attend now for the major I am studying. I only wish I could have learned how to live on my own sooner. I have considered myself a very independent person for the most part, but one can never really know until they are on their own. I hope to share an apartment with a friend next year to get out of my parents' hair and prove I can live on my own. My younger brother will be attending a UC next year and I would love to be able to help my family by paying my own way. I owe it to the two people who have influenced me the most, paid for extracurricular activities all of my life, and ultimately have been paying my expensive loans out of pocket.

Most of them are very helpful and friendly...once you get to know them.

Most of them are very helpful and friendly...once you get to know them.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I might suggest taking more AP courses so I could have a chance to graduate early. Other than that, I am happy where I am now and I am happy with the choices that I have made to get here.

I love our gym and work out classes and equipment!!!!

Marjani

I would give myself the simple advice of not forgetting who you are. Although part of college consists of experimenting with new things and learning about different people its important that we take would we learn along side our current morals and values instead of taking on a lifestyle completely different from our own. Had I known that before I think my college experience so far would of been a lot smoother.

Someone who likes bigger class sizes and more athletic envolvment on campus.

California State University-San Marcos administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.