San Marcos, CA
California State University-San Marcos

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-San Marcos

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definitely tell myself to take as many AP classes as possible. Being a junior in college now, I am really starting to notice how much easier it would have been if I had gotten more of my general classes out of the way while I was in high school. I would have also told myself to apply for college a lot sooner than I did. Because I went to an American school overseas since my father was in the military, our couselors had to deal with students from all over the U.S. This meant they could not notify every student about application dates and deadlines for each and every school so it was very difficult for me to find out how to do everything I needed to apply for schools in California. As much as I like my school now, I wish I had to opportunity to get information on UC's and apply for them and maybe have even a better college expeience.

I wish I had known the financial side about California State Universities. Because of the California budget cuts, many of our classes aren't offered every semester and some are only offered every other year. This makes it hard for many of the students to take what they in order to graduate on time.

People that do not have a problem with commuting. They do not offer a lot of on campus housing so many students have to find a house or apartment off campus and drive to school. Also people that are hard working because many of the classes require a lot of studying outside of class in order to keep up with the material being presented in class.

Timothy

Misconceptions. A high school senior's perception of college is full of them. In hindsight, I laugh to think of the idealistic expectations I had those few years ago. If I could go back in time and give advice to the kid I was when exiting high school, I would have a lot to say. More than anything though, I would want to slap myself and shout, "Wake up! On your toes! It gets tough now!" The common understanding among myself and my peers was that the college experience was all about freedom. Which it is. Freedom and responsibility. I had thought only about how convenient it would be to be able to cut class on a whim, choose whatever classes you like, and participate in any number of extra activities. I had neglected to consider that to do each would require discretion. You are expected to enroll in classes on your own, and take charge of duties like purchasing books and parking permits. The freedom to be absent proves to be more of a curse than a blessing. I would tell my past self, "You're just thinking of the freedoms. Consider the duties and responsibilities as well."

The jump to college is a big one for students who are used to having their hand held. I was one such student. Accustomed to having my courses practically chosen for me, books delivered at my convenience, and bells to keep me in class on time, I sat quite comfortably in high school. In college, you'll have a rude awakening if you expect things to be done for you. I ended up stressing much over course registration and book purchases, and the ability to cut class at your discretion can prove to be more damning than convenient.

Exiting high school, I was among many college-bound graduates who believed that once in college, we would finally be rid of slackers, weak group contributors, and disinterested students. After all, you have to TRY to be accepted into a university. I was disappointed to find my expectations shattered. Although it is a step up, you'll still find students who seem to wish they weren't there. You'll still hear cries for deadline extensions and you'll still see struggling students turn to dishonest attempts to save their grade. Don't believe you'll leave it all behind.

The campus is small, allowing smaller class sizes and better communication with the professors. This also allows students to get to know others within their major and become comfortable working together, versus having continuos classes of 300 where you may never realize you have multiple courses with other students. It is like having your own small community in school. I absolutely love it.

If I could give the pre-college me advice I would tell myself to be more outgoing in school from the very beginning, to get involved with groups that interested me in order to create close bonds with other students with similar interests. I have only recently gotten involved with my campus and wish I had started long ago. Also, I would tell myself to take advantage of school resources, such as the librarians who aid in research, and the writing and math center where peers are hired on as tutors. I would also recommend to myself to take the extra time before class to look over my work and the course material for the day, it is worth more than the little bit of sleep or socializing. With our current budget crisis I would tell myself to visit a counselor and get myself on track, because a full course load in the beginning will help you surely graduate on time even with the unit holds that are being placed, and the classes that are being cut, making them difficult to get into. But mostly I would say live it up, these will be the best years of your life.

We are a fairly new school, which allows students to get involved with the creation of programs and groups. Because we are trying to figure out ways to accomidate and include everyone and create a close atmosphere within the school student leadership is held very highly. I feel that many aspects and organizations at the school are regulated by my peers who have a strong passion for their organizations and campus life.

Leann

I graduated high school almost three years ago. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would buy myself a cup of coffee and tell myself to sit back, open my ears, and enjoy the warm taste of caffine as I will have to learn to depend on it. My advice would be simple. This transition is not easy. Be prepared for change and maturity. Keep your head up and smile! There will be many situations that you will not be prepared for. But it will be OK. There are situations you will get in that will cause you great sadness, great joy, and great change. I will not tell you to what to avoid or what to point towards because without the rollercoaster of life, you can not learn. Everything falls into place gracefully. You will learn from the bad days and relish in the good days. You will learn to value every single penny and work hard for those dimes. Look forward to the people you will meet and the lessons they will teach you. Lead, learn, love, and laugh. Stay close to Mom and Dad. Stay innocent.

There are many stairs to climb to get to class.

Cal State San Marcos is a small school, with an absolutely wonderful group of helpful professors and kind peers, as well as challenging yet interesting courses available.

I am fairly new to my school, and before attending I heard little about its reputation. One reason I applied was that I heard it was easy to get into, and I had little confidene regarding my qualifications for college, however; after attending this school for one semester, I absolutely love it. My previous notions about the easiness of the coursework were proved wrong. My courses have been challenging and interesting so far.

One major thing that I wouldo have told myself was to try harder, although it may seem cliche. Yes, I did well in high school and still had over a 4.0 average at the end of my senior year, but I feel that had I applied myself to a fuller extent I would have had a much more enriching high school experience. I also would have told myself the importance of budgeting my money, because now I am definitely learning more than ever how expensive it is to be a college student! I would have stopped myself from buying unnecessary items and instead saving my money for college expenses to help my parents pay for schooling. I also would have told myself to show more appreciation for my parents, because now more than ever I am realizing how many sacrifices they make for me so that I can attend a university and live a nice life.

Christopher

If I were able to talk to myself as a senior I would have encouraged myself to apply to the better colleges and to not worry about the finances. Second, I would have encouraged myself to focus on building more relationships with my family and appreciate the time that I could spend with my father because I would not have that much more time with him. I would also tell myself to open-up more and to not be afraid to ask girls out because the worst they can say is no and to not be afraid of feeling uncomfortable.

It is a commuter campus so most of the population is only on campus when they have class. Developing a social life with the majority of the students is rather difficult because most of us hold down full-time jobs along with the full-time education. If you are looking for a social life then you need to live on-campus otherwise you will not be satisfied.

If you are not ready to write a lot then this is not the college for you. This school is definitely a writing school in-which every class the students are required to right rather long papers. Most of the time we have to write papers just for the sake of writing, most of the time the quality of the writing is graded higher than the content.

Passion for learning and teaching as well as winning the Nation's College Recycling award.

Three major issues I would have consulted with myself about are learning how to manage money before college and knowing the school and its liberal versus conservative views among staff. Lastly, I would have told myself to drop a class immediately if I could not understand the professor or if I had no passion for the subject.

The furlough days and lack of faculty presence because of lack of government funding for this school.

Robyn

Our school is best known for recycling and the size of the campus. It is a very small campus which means you can get that one on one time with your professor. I love it because in the classrooms, they normally are not filled over 80 people so you can concentrate and it encourages you to go to class all the time. Cal State San Marcos is the top college that recycles, I can't even find a regular trashcan sometimes. There are even recycling bins in the bathrooms!

The location of our school is very unique. It will be very hot in the day time, so you think you're in the desert, you're not in a downtown area like most colleges are and 10 minutes away is the beach. Its mainly a commuter school, but the drive is a fairly easy drive.

My college carreer so far has been bittersweet. Not living on campus my first year and not socializing very much has been making it the "bitter" part of my college life, since I do not have many friends at this college. If I could go back and talk to myself during my senior year of high school I wouln't change that much, for the endevours I have experienced have made me the strong and independent person I am today. One piece of advice that I think I would benefit the most from, would be telling myself to socialize and to visit the few people I knew in the dorms more often. The friends I have that lived their first year in school in the on campus apartments have made so many lifelong friends and I'm still stuck with the few that I went into college knowing. Not that I regret my decision of living off campus, but a few more friends would have definiltely made my college experience more savy.

Gregory

I love that the school is fairly new. The campus is beautiful and the surrounding neighborhood is as well. We have so much access as far as computers, the vast library and the class size. Those factors make it desirable to me rather than your mega campus state schools.

In my particular path that I've chosen, it's taken me quite awhile to finish school. I find it a bit ironic writing this essay under the instructions, as Im now a senior in my final semester at CSUSM. If I were to go back and give myself advice,it would be to take high school and the college transition more seriously. Although I do feel as though I tried hard, my grades were just satisfactory. I didnt invest the time into researching colleges and majors and opportunities. I would tell my younger self to go above and beyond what was asked of me, to learn and aspire without limits. I feel as though I did the bare minimum and now I'm paying for it. In my last two semesters at CSUSM, I made the Dean's List. This has felt like some sort of redemption for the past, but in making the transition I would have told myself to focus more and stay on track despite the alternatives and obstacles around me.

Someone who isn't motivated to do hard work and someone who isn't ready to be challenged. The curriculum I've encountered has made me change my mind about a variety of issues. You will hear and see things you might not be ready for from professors who aim to open the eyes of students. If one is closeminded,then it isnt the school for them.

Greg

Cal State San Marcos is a commuter school without much of a campus community feeling.

The campus is relatively new and some of the buildings are top of the line. The location was also great; warm weather and close to the beach.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would tell myself is "Don't go to Cal State San Marcos! Pick a higher rated school like USC." I would also tell my high school self to get involved in clubs and intramural sports at whatever school I choose. I would recommend to branch off and find friends outside of my roommates and other kids in the dorms. I would say to myself to just be myself and if people don't like me don't care about that. My final recommendation to my high school self would be to make sure I do well academically. I would say that grades are the most important part and just remind myself to not slack off so I can get out of school in four years.

California State University-San Marcos administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.