San Marcos, CA
California State University-San Marcos

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-San Marcos

Leann

I graduated high school almost three years ago. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would buy myself a cup of coffee and tell myself to sit back, open my ears, and enjoy the warm taste of caffine as I will have to learn to depend on it. My advice would be simple. This transition is not easy. Be prepared for change and maturity. Keep your head up and smile! There will be many situations that you will not be prepared for. But it will be OK. There are situations you will get in that will cause you great sadness, great joy, and great change. I will not tell you to what to avoid or what to point towards because without the rollercoaster of life, you can not learn. Everything falls into place gracefully. You will learn from the bad days and relish in the good days. You will learn to value every single penny and work hard for those dimes. Look forward to the people you will meet and the lessons they will teach you. Lead, learn, love, and laugh. Stay close to Mom and Dad. Stay innocent.

There are many stairs to climb to get to class.

Cal State San Marcos is a small school, with an absolutely wonderful group of helpful professors and kind peers, as well as challenging yet interesting courses available.

I am fairly new to my school, and before attending I heard little about its reputation. One reason I applied was that I heard it was easy to get into, and I had little confidene regarding my qualifications for college, however; after attending this school for one semester, I absolutely love it. My previous notions about the easiness of the coursework were proved wrong. My courses have been challenging and interesting so far.

One major thing that I wouldo have told myself was to try harder, although it may seem cliche. Yes, I did well in high school and still had over a 4.0 average at the end of my senior year, but I feel that had I applied myself to a fuller extent I would have had a much more enriching high school experience. I also would have told myself the importance of budgeting my money, because now I am definitely learning more than ever how expensive it is to be a college student! I would have stopped myself from buying unnecessary items and instead saving my money for college expenses to help my parents pay for schooling. I also would have told myself to show more appreciation for my parents, because now more than ever I am realizing how many sacrifices they make for me so that I can attend a university and live a nice life.

Christopher

If I were able to talk to myself as a senior I would have encouraged myself to apply to the better colleges and to not worry about the finances. Second, I would have encouraged myself to focus on building more relationships with my family and appreciate the time that I could spend with my father because I would not have that much more time with him. I would also tell myself to open-up more and to not be afraid to ask girls out because the worst they can say is no and to not be afraid of feeling uncomfortable.

It is a commuter campus so most of the population is only on campus when they have class. Developing a social life with the majority of the students is rather difficult because most of us hold down full-time jobs along with the full-time education. If you are looking for a social life then you need to live on-campus otherwise you will not be satisfied.

If you are not ready to write a lot then this is not the college for you. This school is definitely a writing school in-which every class the students are required to right rather long papers. Most of the time we have to write papers just for the sake of writing, most of the time the quality of the writing is graded higher than the content.

Passion for learning and teaching as well as winning the Nation's College Recycling award.

Three major issues I would have consulted with myself about are learning how to manage money before college and knowing the school and its liberal versus conservative views among staff. Lastly, I would have told myself to drop a class immediately if I could not understand the professor or if I had no passion for the subject.

The furlough days and lack of faculty presence because of lack of government funding for this school.

Robyn

Our school is best known for recycling and the size of the campus. It is a very small campus which means you can get that one on one time with your professor. I love it because in the classrooms, they normally are not filled over 80 people so you can concentrate and it encourages you to go to class all the time. Cal State San Marcos is the top college that recycles, I can't even find a regular trashcan sometimes. There are even recycling bins in the bathrooms!

The location of our school is very unique. It will be very hot in the day time, so you think you're in the desert, you're not in a downtown area like most colleges are and 10 minutes away is the beach. Its mainly a commuter school, but the drive is a fairly easy drive.

My college carreer so far has been bittersweet. Not living on campus my first year and not socializing very much has been making it the "bitter" part of my college life, since I do not have many friends at this college. If I could go back and talk to myself during my senior year of high school I wouln't change that much, for the endevours I have experienced have made me the strong and independent person I am today. One piece of advice that I think I would benefit the most from, would be telling myself to socialize and to visit the few people I knew in the dorms more often. The friends I have that lived their first year in school in the on campus apartments have made so many lifelong friends and I'm still stuck with the few that I went into college knowing. Not that I regret my decision of living off campus, but a few more friends would have definiltely made my college experience more savy.

Gregory

I love that the school is fairly new. The campus is beautiful and the surrounding neighborhood is as well. We have so much access as far as computers, the vast library and the class size. Those factors make it desirable to me rather than your mega campus state schools.

In my particular path that I've chosen, it's taken me quite awhile to finish school. I find it a bit ironic writing this essay under the instructions, as Im now a senior in my final semester at CSUSM. If I were to go back and give myself advice,it would be to take high school and the college transition more seriously. Although I do feel as though I tried hard, my grades were just satisfactory. I didnt invest the time into researching colleges and majors and opportunities. I would tell my younger self to go above and beyond what was asked of me, to learn and aspire without limits. I feel as though I did the bare minimum and now I'm paying for it. In my last two semesters at CSUSM, I made the Dean's List. This has felt like some sort of redemption for the past, but in making the transition I would have told myself to focus more and stay on track despite the alternatives and obstacles around me.

Someone who isn't motivated to do hard work and someone who isn't ready to be challenged. The curriculum I've encountered has made me change my mind about a variety of issues. You will hear and see things you might not be ready for from professors who aim to open the eyes of students. If one is closeminded,then it isnt the school for them.

Greg

Cal State San Marcos is a commuter school without much of a campus community feeling.

The campus is relatively new and some of the buildings are top of the line. The location was also great; warm weather and close to the beach.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would tell myself is "Don't go to Cal State San Marcos! Pick a higher rated school like USC." I would also tell my high school self to get involved in clubs and intramural sports at whatever school I choose. I would recommend to branch off and find friends outside of my roommates and other kids in the dorms. I would say to myself to just be myself and if people don't like me don't care about that. My final recommendation to my high school self would be to make sure I do well academically. I would say that grades are the most important part and just remind myself to not slack off so I can get out of school in four years.

Alexandra

If I could go back in time and talk to myslef as a senior, there is a lot of advice that I would give to myself. It would start out with the relationship aspect of going to college. I would say do not follow any boyfriend to college...it may turn out as pure heartache. I would tell myself to save money instead of taking out so many loans. I would tell myself to live a little and go out with the girls once in a blue moon. I would tell myself to keep in touch with the ones that I love, no matter how far away we live from each other. I would tell myself to never give up even when you feel like the world is coming down around you. I would say never lose faith in God because He is the only thing that will light your path in times of lonliness. I would tell myself to cut my twin sister some slack when she has had a long day and forgot to pick up laundry detergent. I would tell myself to call my parents and say thank you for raising me right.

The best thing about CSUSM is the availability of work on campus. The flexibility of class times is also a great thing.

The worst thing about CSUSM is how hard the school has been hit by budget cuts. We now have implemented furlough days and the professors seem somewhat unmotivated. The classes have been cut short and getting into the nursing program is almost impossible due to limited space.

Allison

My school is best known as a commuter schools (hence the hybrid:)

Take those AP classes seriously because they can save me from taking classes in college that I could have taken in high school.

I felt the transition was easy. I felt high school did provide enough information for me to succeed. I feel very happy the way college has been so far. I feel I'm a part and the teachers have been outstanding so far. I'm considering furthering my education after 4 years at this college. I feel that the college is not too large. The campus is nice and I feel at home there.

The goals are set high to graduate. I feel I will walk away with outstanding education.

Some of the classes are duplicates from high school in which they require you to take to graduate.

California State University-San Marcos administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.