San Marcos, CA
California State University-San Marcos

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-San Marcos

I would say to look carefully into every college they are considering. Look at classroom size, population, cost, campus organizations, sports, housing, food, etc. Take the time to take tours of the campus and talk to different entities on the campus to see possible places to get involved. Once you do find the school that seems to fit your personality and interests, GET INVOLVED! I am only going into my second year, but am involved in the two main entities on Campus; Orientation Team through student life and leadership and ASI (Associated Students Incorporated). It has made all the differnce. ASI is involvement and a paid position so I can pay for needed things. And Orientation Team is all volunteer, but all worth it! If the finances work out I suggest to live on campus! It is a great way to meet new people and stay connected to the campus!

Someone who is open minded. Ready for a learning and social experience. Someone who wants to get involved and loves to recycle! We are huge recyclers!

The budget cuts right now. The economy is affecting the school. The tuition increase and extra fees are very frustrating.

Lisa

The best piece of advice that I would give to parents and students who are in the process of find the right college would be to go to a community college for the first two years! Unless you are 110% certain on your major, then go to a community college. You will receive the exact same education there than you would at a four-year university because the first two years of classes at universities are all taught by teachers aides anyways. You will save a ton of money and the community college will assist you in finding the career that fits you best. Also, if you maintain good grades while you are at a community college, then when you go to apply to universites, your chances of getting accepted increases by more than 50%. Another piece of advice that I would give to the students is to get involved in your school! Whether it be sports, clubs, honors program, or whatever. Get involved! This will help you to meet new friends which will make the transition period from living at home to living on your own that much easier!

I wish that I would have known about which transfer credits counted towards my degree. I am a transfer student and transferred from Saddleback College my junior year. I had to take a few classes that didn't pertain to my major because they were requirements to obtain a bachelors degree. I wish I would have known about those before I transferred so that I could have taken them at saddleback.

I think everyone should attend this school unless you are looking for a private university. This school is beautiful, affordable, has small classes, and has a great faculty. I absolutely love Cal State San Marcos and do not want to get my education anywhere else!

Karen

My advice is to be realistic with yourselves. Understand your own or your student's personality and strengths or weaknesses. Try to find a school who's personality is the best fit for you. Visit schools if possible, observe students on campus and speak with them. Ask questions about professors, advising, and class availability. Hearing from students can give you a realistic idea of how long it will take to graduate. If a school's personality does not fit yours don't force it, there are lots of schools out there and college is about learning about yourself as much as it is learning about a field. As a student it is important that the decision is one you are happy with and communication is key. Even if your parents are footing the bill, remember you will be the one doing the work so be honest with yourself and them. Trust your instincts but remember that college is as much a journey as a degree is a goal. It may not be an easy journey, but when you make the right decision for yourself and you reach your goal, there will be no regrets about where you took that journey.

That there really was two flights of stairs between every building on campus. Wear your comfy shoes and leave the heels at home. I laugh because you can differentiate the freshman from the seniors on campus by their footwear, freshman girls try to wear their cute heels and senior girls know better. Get ready to skip the stairmaster at the gym because you will climb roughly 8-12 flights a day depending on where you go on campus, the good news is that you can shave 20 minutes off of your workout.

Accessibility from roads. The freeway it is located off of has chronic congestion to say the least, and with only two entrances/exits to the campus it can be difficult and frustrating to sit in line at peak traffic times.

Melani

Find a college that emphasises the field of study that you are looking for. Visit the college to get a feel for the campus and its surroundings. If possible look for a college that will not prove to be a huge financial burden on you or your family. Ensure that the college you choose allows you to be you.

How many resources where actually availble to students...WOW!

Students who sign up for classes and then never show up or complete any work or course assessments. This school is very accomodating to all students who have a desire to gain an education.

Elba

We are more focused on soccer than football. And is all about the recycling haha.

I wiil advice students and parents not to be driven by how famous and prestigious a university is. I always wanted to attend a prestigious university but there students and faculty hardly ever talk, classes are saturated and you loose the whole family concept they try to picture in brochure. At a small well equipted campus I have find all I was looking for; and education, friends not only in classmates but in faculty as well. My academic life in small campuses is just right for you to learn and not be depressed. Find a school you will become a part of it not a school where you will only be a number and a significance in what you pay them.

We are the first ones in recycling thanks to the Psychology department and how new and beautiful our campus is compare to those big monstrous campus. Atmosphere is great..little lights at night, the landscape and the gradening is great.

Kirk

Find a college that will best suite your abilities and do not worry about the name or the prestige of the college. Just make sure it has what you want and it helps you become a better person in the end.

Someone who wants to get a degree and progress in life but does not have the money to spend a fortune like other universities cost.

The most frustrating thing at my school is you have to pay $250 for parking each semester and I feel that should be included with tuition!

Matthew

Go to a unversity with a great college life and one that is not a communitor school, it is so important!

The Architecture and the quality of the faculty and staff. Much of the faculty are retired professors from Stanford and UCLA who like to retire locally around the university and take advantage of the golf capital of California. There are lots of gold courses including the exclusive Rancho Bernardo Golf Club and things like that. Very pretty town and new. The schools are top notch and some high schools are almost as big as our university.

The lack of a school spirit and the commuter school feel. Not a soul on the weekends.

Phylip

Hmm, college its what my mo told it was going to be. Probably the most important transition i've made my whole life. For parents I would simplay begin with saying trust what you have bred. Your kid, child, young adult is smart and well reaised. Be confident and supportive for they know right from wrong and if they have they'r eyes set on a specific school you should be supportive in that they are reaching beyond their comfort zones to achieve both socially and academically. PLainly support their decisions. As for students manage your time wisely. College is another level of high academia, but there is room for play when you focus and work hard, as most times call for. Preperation is key, for class, for work, essays ect. Being prepared and managing your time will ensure your college success at least 80%. Moms and Dads out there just help your kid when he/she asks because they will and when they say they dont need help they do. Students furthur more HAVE FUN BE SAFE AND REMEBER YOUR IN COLLEGE TO LEARN, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ALL THE LEARNING YOU CAN.

I think because my school is in the middle of North County and South Bay San Diego, its diversity plays a big part in the schools best attributes. I would also like to mention the dedication our teachers have to our students. with classes roughly a medium size, the teachers attention is way more accessable by a student.

I wish I had known more about the social life and living situations available to first time students. Also, too, course work available for obtaining a minor in a particular area of study. Lastly, a little bit more about the campus life that is offered such as clubs and orginizations.

Tiffany

First of all, I would advise all parents and/or students to visit the campuses they have applied to. You must be comfortable with the overall "feel" of the campus. Visit during school hours so you can really observe the students, the attitude, the cafeteria, the classrooms, the library and the admin staff. The admissions recruiters should be helpful and friendly and cater to all of your questions. If you feel as though you're not getting the attention you deserve as a prospective student DO NOT be afraid to look elsewhere. Also, don't be afraid to talk to students on campus during your visit, most of the time students are very forthcoming about the academic and student life at the schools. Once you decide on a school just remember that you are PAYING to be there. Have a good time, but be responsible and make the most of your tuition dollars. All it really takes to earn high grades is showing up to class and completing the work on time. There is plenty of time for fun and friends later, just use your college years to focus on yourself and expanding your education, you wont regret it.

Someone looking for a modern campus that is not overcrowded like others in the area. The education and staff here are wonderful and I have never met anyone who had a bad experience at San Marcos.

Whitney

Just trying to get through.

Just trying to get through.

Starting off at a junior college is not always the most exciting or fulfilling experience, but it definitely allows young students to realize where their interests really lay. Transferring to Cal State San Marcos (CSUSM) from a two-year community college gave me the focus and drive to do the best I can in my major coursework. And, although CSUSM was not my first choice of colleges, I have been able to connect with many other students and participate socially and academically more than I did in high school. The important thing is not to let your expectations weigh you down and sour a genuinely good and valuable experience.

The lack of real push from EVERY professor for the students to grow up and pay attention in class. Only a few professors expect the best from their students.

California State University-San Marcos administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.