San Marcos, CA
California State University-San Marcos

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-San Marcos

Amy

College can be a tough transition. A good way to make it easier is joining clubs that you find interest in. There are many opportunities out there for students if they want it. I tried joining organizations such as Greek Life and Sports clubs (volleyball and wakeboarding). Still I learned more through my study abroad experience. I strongly advise students to look into a study abroad program. It opened my eyes to a new way of learning. I remember my first time in the Global Affairs Office, I had so many questions and the staff was friendly and knowledgeable on the steps I had to take. After I completed my year abroad I came back to my university and felt I had an advantage over others. I was able to take a glance at the world around me and apply it to research projects by bringing in outside ideas. Advice to parents is to always keep a supportive outlook. I have established a great relationship with my parents from being abroad. They understand me better because I know myself better, which is exactly what a good college education should accomplish.

I enjoyed attending a somewhat smaller school than most large universities. I liked the fact I was able to get all the classes I needed to complete my major and minor. I liked the small size of the classrooms, which enabled me to get to know my professors. I also felt comfortable with finding my way around campus without all the traffic and chaos of a larger campus.

The worst thing about attending CSUSM is that there was not a large variety of majors on campus. I was limited to courses that I did not always find interest in.

Ashlee

just enjoy and have fun, don't take everything too seriously. Know when its right to focus on school and when its time to have fun. Doing good in school does not make you a geek :) be proud of your grades and proud of yourself for making it and applying to college.

The only thing that i have come seen is regarding a sociology class that i'm in, there are 124 people in that class and i feel that if i need extra help it might be kind of hard to get it.

that the campus is small and for the most part the classroom sizes are small and that its a very nice campus

Janette

When deciding on which college to attend, make sure that you are comfortable with all the main aspects of the campus, including the location of the school and the faculty. If the college offers an orientation session, it would be best to attend. Not only do you get to know the campus and the facilities available to the students, but you also have the opportunity to meet other students who are just starting college as well. Many of the orientations are divided into majors, which is helpful because you will more likely have classes with these people at one point or another. Another helpful tip is to make use of the professor's office hours and means of communication (i.e. email and phone). I have found that when I do not understand a topic in class, communicating with the teacher outside of class hours is helpful.

The parking at our school can be a bit difficult.

Someone who is serious about getting an education and one who takes pride in their school and campus.

Amie

I think the best thing parents and students can do before looking into college, is have a variety to choose from. Its good to take tours of the campus and really get to see what the everyday life would be like at those campuses. After that is said and done, then find out where you are accepted, and view the pros and cons of each school.

I wish I would have known that we would be doing more group projects. Group projects can be hectic, but so far they have gone rather well.

The worst thing at this campus is, well, nothing. I can't really pinpoint one thing that is really a negative.

A lot of them seem to come from upper class families, and they seem to been pretty well rounded students overall.

I would strongly encourage to look early, and take the time to visit the schools and look at the academic programs you are interested in. I also highly suggest looking at the classes required for your degree ahead of time and meeting with your academic advisor to help organize a 4 year plan. That will help the flow of classes combined together, and never not knowing how many more classes you have to complete your degree. While in college, just stay focused and remain positive. Through hard work, anything is possible. Use the resources your school provides, after all they are free, and can be very helpful. Also, I strongly encourage looking into a study abroad program, you can gain so much knowledge about the world that could never be taught in a classroom. And lastly, i encourage participation in intership programs. This will help you really find what you like, and will look fantastic on your resume.

This school seems to being trying to set an academic standard, which is good. Although, there are a lack of engaging teachers, and teachers that really know how to TEACH the material, so a lot of outside teaching to yourself is necessary. Definitely for the self motivated hard working student. If I did not spend HOURS trying to understand the material, read, and take my own notes outside of class I would not even pass.

Katrina

A campus full of life and diversity with geniuely nice and educated people.

A campus full of life and diversity with geniuely nice and educated people.

Take full advantage of the opportunities you school offers. Embrace the people and surrounding areas of your college. Most of all enjoy college and have fun learning everything you can while your young! :)

I wish I knew how to embrace the surrounding areas of the campus. Now as a junior at Cal State San Marcos I embrace the surrounding areas and take the opportunities around it. I love living in North San Diego County and I think it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Oddly enough I thought going to Cal State San Marcos I wouldn't get the full college expeirence because it was such a small school, but I geniuely like the school now and it has grown on me.

Joy

When deciding on where to go to college, look at the big picture. Try your best to find a place that offers a diverse amount of your interests. From my experience, I was so focused on finding a school that a would offer me an athletic scholarship and had my major that I did not even consider some other schools that offered tremendously more activites, clubs and the college atmoshpere I really wanted. In addition, I would definitely tell them not to let their fear of being away from home or being afraid of not fitting hold them back from going to the school they really want to attend. At first it may be difficult to find your niche, but you will find people you connect with, and this time of your life is the best time to experience things for yourself that will be much more difficult to do when you settle down and begin your career.

There is not much of a college atmosphere at the school or in the community. For the most part, people do what they need to do and then leave for home; although, every year the school is becoming more unifed.

Someone who wants a great education in an easy going environment should attend this school. Classes are taught by professors who have previously worked in the field they are teaching. However, the school lacks unification and a college community feel. There are activities and clubs available, but you have to be willing to get yourself involved.

California State University-San Marcos administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.