San Marcos, CA
California State University-San Marcos

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-San Marcos

Brittney

If I could go back to my senior year in high school I would give myself the advice of being outgoing and willing to break out of my shell. I would also tell myself to try and join a club or sport.

The worst thing about this school is that it is on a hill, so there are a lot of stairs to climb going to class. When the elevators are broken and you have to climb up 4 flights of stairs, you get into class all sweaty. That is the worst part of this school.

I brag about the school spirit, all the teachers, and how helpful everyone is. They are always willing to go out of their way for the students.

Karri

It is environment friendly and it is a safe and comfortable place to be. It has help resource centers and the atmosphere around campus is joyful.

If I could go back to myself when I was in high school I would say that life is hard but if you work for what you want, you can reach your goal. I would also remind myself that things do not always go as planned so just relax and let life fall into place, because it will work out in the end. I would also advice myself to be social because having friends in classes help you learn, and also become life long friends. The most important lesson I would teach myself is to be well organized because keeping track of upcoming event will prevent frustration and pain later on. Being well organized and having time management skills would be great advice to give to myself because it would help me to succeed and avoid future problems.

A person who is silly because San Marcos is a great school who can help anyone. I feel that San Marcos is school where everyone can come and feel good and helped.

Karri

California State University of San Marcos is environmentally friendly but also makes me feel very secure. The architecture of the buildings is amazing and there are so many historic monuments. California State University of San Marcos is a comfortable and helpful place that I am proud to be attending.

I love California State University of San Marcos because they help and work with you to succeed even when you are struggling or behind. They offer free tutoring for any subject if needed. There are so many helpful resources on campus that have helped me meet new people and to pass my classes with outstanding grades. The campus police are very alert and active throughout the day.

Joshua

My school, being new, has the potential to become an amazing school, but due to the age, the institution may not provide the ideal college experience.

I know that you are afraid to step out of your comfort zone, and I know that what you fear the most is the thought of letting go of the life that you built for yourself up until now, but you can't let these irrational fears, or any fear, stop you from having an amazing college experience. Everyone is hurt, or knocked down the same way and fear only dictates the negative impact, so stop being afraid and realize that your fear is an indication of your weak points. You will make mistakes experience loss, from relationships to disapointment, but loss is inevitable, so rather than looking at what you have lost, look at what you have left, becasue the things that you do have left, like your talents or your friendships, will help you heal, and just as a bone is the strongest after the break, you will be a stronger person after your loss. The actual transition to college only takes a few weeks, and knowing you, you are strong enough to handle it, but I urge you to make as many mistakes as possible, becasue by the end, you will be unstoppable.

Because there are an influx of science majors, enrolling in a science related course, like physics, chemistry, or biology, is next to impossible, and becasue I have transferring credit, but can't enroll in even a single science course, I am slowly running out of general education courses and run the risk of having to take classes that i don't need.

Desirae

My classmates at Cal State San Marcos are supportive of others, respectful to professors and colleagues, hard-working, and self-motivated individuals that are determined to succeed.

It feels like the world is against you, I know. Your parents do not understand you, there is pressure to be the "best dressed" every single day, and every little thing seems so important. You cannot wait to leave your house and have your own freedom. You do not want to do chores or follow the rules your parents have set for you. You want to be rebellious and do whatever you want. In the end, it is insignificant. Those high school relationships will fade. It is sad, but true. Once you are in college, it will not matter where you sit during your lunch period. You will learn that your family is, and has been, the most important support system in your life. Your parents have been with you since day one and they have stuck with you all of this time. Your parents will become the people you talk to the most and share your struggles with. Do not stress over the little things and laugh them off. Learn to treasure the time you have with friends, have fun, and live in the moment. Learn to not worry about what makes other people happy and focus on you.

A person that should attend this university is somebody who is aiming to become a very confident and well-rounded individual. A student who is not afraid to ask for help will most definitely succeed in this university. A person who is motivated and willing to try and make mistakes will thrive at Cal State San Marcos.

You have been accepted to UCR and CSUSM, I know everyone is pushing you to go to San Marcos for their nursing school, but believe me, this is not for you. You will take a nursing class and you will absolutely hate it. Medical school seems almost impossible but you can do it. Don't let others' beliefs get in your way, you and only you can create the path towards your dream. Don't reach for nursing when you know that your heart is set on medical school. I know it may seem overwhelming now but it is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all and remain wondering for the rest of your life: what if i had gone to UCR? What if I actually became a doctor? Don't undermine yourself, go for UCR, live out your dream! Making mistakes is okay. It's okay for you to make the wrong decision, because if it is something you really want, you will look for another way to continue your path towards you dream!

Before I started attending CSUSM, I had my hopes set on their nursing program. I knew it was competitive but I was willing to take on this challenge. Towards the end of my first semester, there was a required meeting for all pre-nursing students in which they sat us all down and basically encouraged all of us to switch majors. There were over 600 applicants and only 40 available slots for the program. This seemed ridiculous and I was very frustrated that they had not informed us about this sooner.

If you want to go to Cal State San Marcos, be prepared to rip your hair out now! Don't get me wrong, it is a great school when it comes to student-teacher ratio, but this won't do you any good if you can't get the classes you need. If you want to graduate in five plus years, go right ahead, CSUSM is right for you. If you want to finish in time before you retire, I strongly recommend considering a different University.

Erin

take your time and try not to have your hardships take over your education. I think that was a fall back for me because life was interferring with my grades and focus and my focus also needed to be high GPA so i could get more funding to further my education and not stop at just a BA degree

the best thing about this school was the service learning projects and getting involved with the community. Non-profit organization interaction was a good way to get connected with the community and learn new ways on how organizations are out there to assist people.

Andrea

Pursue Financial Aid and don't let your parents' income hold you back from getting the financial help you need. Take the plunge and live in a dorm, it's a real life experience worth not missing. Get together with your friends and find out where they're all going for college and what their plans are, some of them are just as afraid of the great unknown. Find that perfect someone to show you around campus to help ease your fears. Don't be afraid to grow up because going back later won't be any easier with kids, a job, pets, etc.

The classmates are all friendly. Everyone is very friendly and easy to talk to. For example, I had no problem asking someone that was sitting next to me for help if I needed it because they were always friendly and easy to communicate with. Everyone is always paying attention in class and staying on top of all of their work that needs to be done.

The advice I would give myself would be to try and take more advanced classes. Some AP classes in high school count towards college so I wish that I would've taken some more of those. I would also advice myself to get more involved in school. I would tell myself to maybe try out for one of the sports teams or to join some type of club. When applying to colleges, a lot of the applications asked about the extra-curricular activities that I did, and also joining them in high school would make it a lot easier to join them in college. Joining clubs makes you more of a sociable person and being more social is a good thing to obtain while on your own in college.

One of the worst things about the school is that theres an endless amount of stairs. Everywhere you go, you're walking up stairs. Also, some classes can have a lot of students in them and some classes are hard to get into because of the limited number of available seats.

Jaime

For the most part I was rather well prepared for college. I knew what I wanted to do and stayed with the same major. However, the best advice I think I would give myself is to make more friends and spend more time on campus meeting people and being involved. Along the same lines, I would advise myself to join an honor society to make connections with people in my field of study. I would tell myself not to be afraid to make mistakes, have fun and enjoy the social aspect of college. I would also tell myself that I can handle taking five classes a semseter instead of four classes, because then I would be able to graduate a year earlier than I did. Most importantly, I would tell myself to not be intimidated by other college students and to say whatever thought I during class discussions. Finally, I would tell myself to take German as my foreign langugae instead of Spanish. I have always wanted to learn German, but I listened to the advice of my papernts and took Spanish instead. That is the one regret that I have about college, that I am not better at German.

The best thing about Cal State San Marcos is the professors. They are always willing to talk with students about class work or about life in general. Students can drop by without appointment and most of the time they are in their offices ready to answer any questions the student has. In addition they actually care about what they are teaching and they want their students to learn. The class sizes are small enough for professors to get to know their students and for the most part they remember them semesters later. They encourae students to do their best.

I wish that I had known more about the clubs offered at San Marcos. It wasn't untill I was in my last year or so that I realized all the clubs offered at school. I think that it would have made campus life more enjoyable if I had discovered a student community that was interested in the same things as I was.

California State University-San Marcos administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.