San Marcos, CA
California State University-San Marcos

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-San Marcos

Andrea

Pursue Financial Aid and don't let your parents' income hold you back from getting the financial help you need. Take the plunge and live in a dorm, it's a real life experience worth not missing. Get together with your friends and find out where they're all going for college and what their plans are, some of them are just as afraid of the great unknown. Find that perfect someone to show you around campus to help ease your fears. Don't be afraid to grow up because going back later won't be any easier with kids, a job, pets, etc.

The classmates are all friendly. Everyone is very friendly and easy to talk to. For example, I had no problem asking someone that was sitting next to me for help if I needed it because they were always friendly and easy to communicate with. Everyone is always paying attention in class and staying on top of all of their work that needs to be done.

The advice I would give myself would be to try and take more advanced classes. Some AP classes in high school count towards college so I wish that I would've taken some more of those. I would also advice myself to get more involved in school. I would tell myself to maybe try out for one of the sports teams or to join some type of club. When applying to colleges, a lot of the applications asked about the extra-curricular activities that I did, and also joining them in high school would make it a lot easier to join them in college. Joining clubs makes you more of a sociable person and being more social is a good thing to obtain while on your own in college.

One of the worst things about the school is that theres an endless amount of stairs. Everywhere you go, you're walking up stairs. Also, some classes can have a lot of students in them and some classes are hard to get into because of the limited number of available seats.

Jaime

For the most part I was rather well prepared for college. I knew what I wanted to do and stayed with the same major. However, the best advice I think I would give myself is to make more friends and spend more time on campus meeting people and being involved. Along the same lines, I would advise myself to join an honor society to make connections with people in my field of study. I would tell myself not to be afraid to make mistakes, have fun and enjoy the social aspect of college. I would also tell myself that I can handle taking five classes a semseter instead of four classes, because then I would be able to graduate a year earlier than I did. Most importantly, I would tell myself to not be intimidated by other college students and to say whatever thought I during class discussions. Finally, I would tell myself to take German as my foreign langugae instead of Spanish. I have always wanted to learn German, but I listened to the advice of my papernts and took Spanish instead. That is the one regret that I have about college, that I am not better at German.

The best thing about Cal State San Marcos is the professors. They are always willing to talk with students about class work or about life in general. Students can drop by without appointment and most of the time they are in their offices ready to answer any questions the student has. In addition they actually care about what they are teaching and they want their students to learn. The class sizes are small enough for professors to get to know their students and for the most part they remember them semesters later. They encourae students to do their best.

I wish that I had known more about the clubs offered at San Marcos. It wasn't untill I was in my last year or so that I realized all the clubs offered at school. I think that it would have made campus life more enjoyable if I had discovered a student community that was interested in the same things as I was.

Tripp

I would say that most of the so called "friends" in high school are not friends at all. They are only are hanging out with you or choosing not to hang out with you because it makes them appear to be in the "in" crowd. But when you get to college, whether or not you were in the "in" crowd in high school immedaitely ceases to matter. This is because when everyone gets to college no cliques or groups exist because everyone there is away from home and their high school "friends" and they are all now in the same boat along with you and thus have to start all over and make new friends. In this situation, whether or not any person is apart of some clique doesn't matter since these don't exist, but rather the only qualities that matter for friend making are those that are truly yours - not what you pretend to have or others think you have. Thus the friends that you will make in college will truly be your friends because they will cherish you for who are and will be your friends for life.

Rebecca

Prepare yourself for writing requirements. Invest the time to improve your writing skills and abilities before your first paper is due. Become involved on campus in someway whether its arts and culture, clubs, sports, outreach programs etc. Invest time and involvement in volunteering and community efforts, because it will only beneift you inwardly and outwardly. Most importantly enjoy the college wave, because it most likely will only come once.

The inability to accommodate all the needs of its student base. For example, enough seats in a classroom, enough sections for classes and waitlists.

What I am most proud of at CSUSM is the relatively small size of our campus at the moment, but how capable and willing we are to grow as an institution. Just recently I have been 'bragging' about our new baseball field we just aquired. Also, we are an environmentally consious campus and have won 6 straight RecylceMania national intercollegiate recycling competitions.

Vanessa

To be extremely disciplined, focus on my studies for the future. Talk with college counselors, tour a college campus and maybe even take a college course.

Students looking to attend a college with a city vibe, family feel and good academics/professors

Laura

Networking is the most important thing ever! get involved and dont be afraid to shout out your own ideas and opinions. Get involved with sports, clubs, internships and especially your professors. Your instructors are the key to alot of opportunities like important contacts, internships of all kinds and most importantly jobs for after graduation. Getting to know people in other clubs and majors will help you overall know exactly what you want to do and how you want to approach your goal.

The best thing about my school was teacher aid and easy access to student organizations and involvement. Getting Involved in the Human Development Club was the best decision ever.

The worst thing about my school is the acadamic advising appointments which were not helpful at all, and the parking fees which are way over priced.

Michelle

I love my campus, it has the kindest people and it's by many food shop and stores.

Since I started college, I have become more independent and responsible. Taking my own choices and being responsible for my school work as well as my athletic responsabilities I have learned how to handle certain situations. I have realized it is my time to start creating my corner stones for my future.

The worst thing about the campus is that there are a lot of stairs, its a bad thing because people who are disabled have a hard time getting around.

sarah

My school is best known for its beautiful and clean campus. It is fairly new and is kept very clean and safe. I appreciate its utilities such as the gym, the fields, the parking sturcture, and the Kellogg library. Our library is the most extensive of all the libraries in the CSU system.

I have so enjoyed my college experience thus far. I have learned concepts and tools that I will truly take with me for the rest of life. Not only what you learn in the textbooks or within the classroom, but how to communicate with professors, how to do nearly everything on your own, and how to successfully manage your time. I have learned to understand HOW I learn and the steps I must take in the classroom in order to maintian that information. Nothing is "easy" in college and nothing is handed to you with no strings attached, however it shows you how the real world operates, and what you can do to be a powerhouse in this world. I have learned my passions and my talents; this gift alone is what I consider to be invaluable.

I have alot of good things to say about California State University San Marcos. The professors are very helpful and are interested in your learning. I have had a few of them stand out to me over my time there and I still remember their advice. I have used their advice and motivationaly words not only in their class, but in many of the ones of have taken after.

Bethany

It is best known for the stairs. CSUSM has the largest amount of land out of all of the CSUs but CSUSM is just not fully built. We are located in San Marcos and it is kind of hilly. So our campus is built up and not out. But after that comes the great staff and teachers and the amazing dorm rooms.

I am getting better grades in college than I am in high school because I love the classes I am in as well as the teachers. My professors are great and really help me if I do not understand something. I am able to make a schedule that works well for with classes that I am actually interested in, while also still working to help put myself through college. I can apply what I learn in my classes to my everyday life and I love how I can relate that more now to my life today. I know that by attending college I have a better chance at being successful at life and my professors support my success. I can learn to be an adult while at college because it requires a lot of maturity and it also requires discipline and some tough decisions. I would not take back the choice I made in my college because it fits me just right.

The school is very easy to navigate as well as the building are all very new and look amazing. It is just the right size for a student who is looking for medium size classes. The staff and teachers are always willing to help and want you to succeed. The school has great security and good parking. It has many different resources including the library, the career center, the womens center, the pride center, among many others. It has fraturnities and sororities, for those interested in Greek life. We have a great track and soccer team, with a great gym!

California State University-San Marcos administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.