San Marcos, CA
California State University-San Marcos

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-San Marcos

Catherine

Most of my classmates are open-minded.

Most of my classmates are open-minded.

College has taught me more about life than I would have ever imagined. Between living on my own and managing my schoolwork, I have grown so much in the past two years. The most valuable thing I've learned was to save money and budget better. Everyone says this but until you begin college and begin paying for classes, books, bills, and rent, you truly have no appreciation for money and its worth. In addition I have learned that procrastination is detrimental in college. After having to wake up mid-morning numerous times to write an essay or do an assignment I have most definitely learned that getting things done as soon as you receive the assignment is the best policy, instead of waiting until the last minute. I've also learned a lot about different people and interacting with different types of people. College has been an extremely valuable addition to my life, not only because of the knowledge that I am receiving through the classes, but also for the incredible life-lessons I am learning.

The most frustrating thing about CSU-San Marcos is that the whole campus is built on a hill so using stairs is a numerous and daily activity. If you don't like exercising and walking up stairs-this is not the school for you!

Jason

Twenty year young California State University San Marcos and its welcoming faculty passionately educate each student that steps foot onto their campus.

The classmates of California State University San Marcos could not be more inspirational with each student I sit next to or meet accross campus seeming to be so determined and assiduous in maximizing their education.

I would tell myself to really enjoy and cherish the upcoming experiences in my college years. I would say to myself that life will have its ups and downs and not to get discouraged when tough times do approach. To immerse myself more student life and what the school has to offer. I would add to keep a stronger balance with work and play as I have stressed myself out early in my college transition. The last thing I would say is to love my family and friends more and to create better relationships with them.

Kimberly

As a high school senior, I really wish I would have focused on what school was going to give me the best experience. I ignored the facts and picked a commuter school in sunny San Diego to save my parents the burden of paying the out of state tuition and me the burden of dealing with cold and wet weather. This year I am giving myself a do-over and transfering to a school that is school spirited, apart of the community, in a college town, and of course going to give me an excellent education. These are the qualities I should have been looking for in a school my senior year.

This school is best for students commuting. The school does not have any major sports for people to get spirited about. The greek system is very small and the city of San Marcos does not allow them to have houses. Students who attend CSU San Marcos do not get the 'full college experience'.

Due to the buget cuts in California this year, we have been forced to have a raise in our tuituion and furlough days. This means we are paying more and recieving less of an education. Also, our fall registration was limited to only 13 semester hours. Which causes all students to be behind in graduating in four years.

Cindy

My school is a very small and newer campus located in a very mellow area who is very enviornmentally friendly.

There is a small number of students in each classroom making it easier to have more one-one interaction with the professors.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to take things VERY seriously. Pay attention to class lectures and take lots of notes. Never fall behind on school work, for it does have a negative impact on your grade at the end of the semester. It is quite difficult to catch up once you fall behind. Always find time to study before exams well in advance, it will only be most beneficial to you. Make sure that you are taking the correct courses for your major, if you are not sure then make an appointment with your academic advisor, it sure would make things easier. Be social towards others on campus and try to make many friends. Join clubs or organizations that interest you to keep busy and meet new people. Most importantly, don't let the actions of others have an impact on you emotionally, not everyone is going to be nice and it may be hard to adjust living independantly and away from home, but keeping a postive outlook is always the best thing to do!

Apple

This school has a great business program, as well as, all the other programs for students who want to graduate with their bachelors.

This school is unique because it has all the classes needed to prepare a student for a succesful career without feeling like the, sometimes too overbearing, large universities like UCLA or USC.

A.J., you have one more year left of high school. You have made it this far. Do not quit now. You have been doing exceptionally well in all of your classes. Now it's time to step it up. Make sure you not only pass all the classes this year, but also take as much information from past classes to feed your brain. This will help you in deciding what you want to do in life and select your major. You want to start your college life quickly. Once you get accepted to the college you want to go to, do not hesitate to sign up for classes as soon as they open up for you. Make school a priority. I know friends, parties, get togethers, etc. are fun, but you have to focus. You will always have time for that. Get good grades in college. This will help you in qualifying for scholarships or even get you recognized to receive them. College is expesive, but if you get these good grades, you might get through college for free. Remember to be the best you can be and just have fun. All your hard work will pay you back.

Dominica

Cal State San Marcos is an excellent way to recieve a higher education and a great way to invest in your future, because it is a small campus with many programs tying to a specific university and is also still developing throughout the years.

I would tell myself that these days a college degree is necessary to sustain a comfortable life style. Even a bachelor?s degree might not be enough, a graduate degree ensures a lifelong career. a college education is the best investment a person could make to ensure your future. So you should try to find the best college that fits you. Also, you should stay involved in student activities and events; this will help keep you interested in school and have a reason to come back every semester. You also have a chance to meet new people and avoid loneliness which can lead to dropping out of school. I would also tell myself to apply for as many grants and scholarships, especially the FAFSA, and meet the deadlines ? those are important. College is expensive and a student can never have too much money. Also, stay on top of all your AP classes because you could skip up to a whole semester of your college career if you score high enough on the tests. Regular high school classes are important too, because the information you learn can still be useful and might also have a leg up in your college classes.

The worst thing about my university is that help is hard to find. Everything in the college life must be done on your own. A student must be on top of all deadlines and the resources available at your specific university or college. If your struggling in a class you have to find a way to recieve help and tutoring services. and at my university help is hard to find. Also, most of the work is done on your own not in the classroom.

Natasha

Senior year is a very difficult time for a 17-18 year old. You are faced with one of the most important decisions in your life. It is extremely stressful because this decision will determine your fate for the next four or so years, so you do not want to get it wrong. If I could go back in time, the advice I would give myself is do not choose a school that is far just because you are sick of your parents. Almost all freshmans are homesick at some point, some cases are stronger than others. Before you move across country make sure its truly what you want and not just to get back at your parents for not getting you a new car or something. I would also say visit and try to stay at each of your top schools before making the final decision. Often times than not the school is not what you pictured it to be and if you worked so hard in high school it is awful to be dissapointed. And lastly really research the schools and decide if this is really the best thing for you and how badly you want it.

Disregarding dream schools, and schools your parents want you to attend you should always research the school for yourself. You might have this amazing picture of the school in your head and then when you visit it you are totally dissapointed. If you wish to attend California State University- San Marcos you should be a patient individual. Since this school is only 20 years old, it is not fully developed. This makes it hard to fully enjoy yourself since there are various events, buildings, and traditions unknown. If you like to challenge yourself this is the perfect school!

Many individuals find it hard to wait for things. As I explained earlier, you will enjoy your time at CSU San Marcos if you are patient, and give the school time to fully develop. If you are someone who always wants to be busy, you probably will not like this university. CSUSM, is a fairly new addition to the city of San Marcos and because of this it is still undeveloped. If you are looking for a college town, an outstanding campus life, and non stop activities, CSUSM may not be the right place for you.

Zerlina

First off, I would tell myself to start applying for scholarships there and then. College is hard to pay for I would prefer to not take loans until needed. Second, I would tell myself to not worry about general ed classes yet, and instead dive head first into the core requirements for my major and the foreign language. I would remind myself that I?m smart and can handle the full 15 units if I don?t slack off ? Stop playing video games, Self! Perhaps I would go to the local JC during the summers to start my GEs. Not as important for graduating but still an essential part of college: I would tell myself its okay to meet new people and try to make friends.

Campus budget. I know it isn't the schools fault, but we have furlough days, a larger tuition, and (sometimes) a 13 unit cap for the smester. This makes taking the proper classes hard to get into and to pay for - plus with all the days off we're getting less bang for our buck.

Someone who only wants to party and simply slide in studying. While this isn't a hard school, a person won't succeed if all they do is drink and skip classes.

Heidi

My classmates are very intune with the course subjects and are very responsible and amazing classmates.

Having the opporunity to to go back in time and be able to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to challenge myself more in my class load because in college you can not get by the easy way. I learned that the hard way my first semester in college.

I would have encouraged the younger me to finish college while serving in the military since I tend to fit in better with the older graduate culture than I do with the younger undergraduate culture.

The faculty memebrs are friendly and willing to assist students who seek assistance.

The type of person who is ready to learn.

California State University-San Marcos administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.