San Marcos, CA
California State University-San Marcos

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-San Marcos

Erica

I would tell myself to make more of my own decisions when it comes to college instead of listening to my parents, friends, and family's wishes. I would tell myself that I shouldn't feel pressured to go to a certain college with my best friend instead of picking one out on my own because I am scared of making new friends. I would also tell myself to have a little more faith in my personality and trust that I can make new friends on my own. I would also probably tell myself to go to community college first instead of being obsessed with going away to a university right off the bat. Because I wasn't sure what I wanted to major in, I wish I would have gone to community college right away, then transferred to save money and take time to decide what I really wanted to do in life. Community college was one of the better experiences in my college career and I would tell myself not to be afraid that I would get stuck in the same place because of choosing to go to a local community college first.

My major, Mass Media, encompasses a large area of media production fields and I feel as though print media and print journalism are largely underrepresented. Shown through the types of courses offered in this major, print media is given much less courses compared to TV, internet, and radio news mediums. I wish my school would revamp the Mass Media major and make it more print journalism friendly since there isn't a specific Journalism major offered.

A lot of the time it is hard to get a hold of the person - be it a teacher, administrator, or counselor - that you need to talk to about an issue as a student. I feel like even when I get the right contact information for someone they do not always answer in a timely manner, or sometimes even at all. I would like to see a better directory of employee information on the school's website and more enthusiasm and effort from staff in responding to inquiries to squash this frustration with the lack of communication.

Cynthia

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as the na?ve high school senior I once was, I would probably remind myself of a number of important things I should have taken into consideration. Such as, studying for my ACTs and AP exams, passing one or more of my advance placement tests like US history or Enconmics would have helped me in the long-run by accumulating college credit to that particular class I took the exam in. I would also remind myself about how crucial it is to focus in high school in order to prepare me as a college student by not procrastinating, following deadlines, instructions, and rules.

CSUSM is a commuter school so the majority of students commute back-and-forth from their house to school each day. Students, including myself, struggle to find parking on a daily basis. To add onto the ?parking-wars,? paying for the parking permit for each semester is ridiculous because of the outrageously high price of $293 each permit. Although the school decided to build a parking structure to make things a bit easier for students and faculty, the absence of a structure promised to be completed by the summer has been delayed for the past couple of months.

A person who does not enjoy climbling stairs. Cal State San Marcos is known amongst the students as CSU "stair master" because of its numerous stair cases surrounding the campus. The campus also has not one floor level the same, a student can be on the third floor of the library and the first floor of academic hall, or even the second forth floor of craven hall.

Jaclyn

My school would be described as very personal, there is a smaller student body, teachers who are able to work more directly with their students compared to other universities, and very goal focused.

My classmates are obviously your typical college students, yet the students at my school seem to be very career focues and goal oriented, they all seem to have a specific plan in mind.

If I were able to go back in time and give myself some advice, the first thing I would tell myself is to stay on top of things. In high school, especially as a senior, it is all about enjoying your senior year, in other words you can slack off and get away with it for the most part. Secondly, I would tell myself, "USE YOUR PLANNER. " College professors may give you a syllabus, but if you do not know the dates for assignments, forget it. And lastly, I wish I could have told myself never to settle for doing average, or just enough, but to do things to the best of my ability. School is not about how fast you can get an assignment done or how easy it was, but what you gained from it. Throughout high school I tried, but did not always give my best effort, and now I am going to my back up school rather than my dream school.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definitely tell myself to take as many AP classes as possible. Being a junior in college now, I am really starting to notice how much easier it would have been if I had gotten more of my general classes out of the way while I was in high school. I would have also told myself to apply for college a lot sooner than I did. Because I went to an American school overseas since my father was in the military, our couselors had to deal with students from all over the U.S. This meant they could not notify every student about application dates and deadlines for each and every school so it was very difficult for me to find out how to do everything I needed to apply for schools in California. As much as I like my school now, I wish I had to opportunity to get information on UC's and apply for them and maybe have even a better college expeience.

I wish I had known the financial side about California State Universities. Because of the California budget cuts, many of our classes aren't offered every semester and some are only offered every other year. This makes it hard for many of the students to take what they in order to graduate on time.

People that do not have a problem with commuting. They do not offer a lot of on campus housing so many students have to find a house or apartment off campus and drive to school. Also people that are hard working because many of the classes require a lot of studying outside of class in order to keep up with the material being presented in class.

Timothy

Misconceptions. A high school senior's perception of college is full of them. In hindsight, I laugh to think of the idealistic expectations I had those few years ago. If I could go back in time and give advice to the kid I was when exiting high school, I would have a lot to say. More than anything though, I would want to slap myself and shout, "Wake up! On your toes! It gets tough now!" The common understanding among myself and my peers was that the college experience was all about freedom. Which it is. Freedom and responsibility. I had thought only about how convenient it would be to be able to cut class on a whim, choose whatever classes you like, and participate in any number of extra activities. I had neglected to consider that to do each would require discretion. You are expected to enroll in classes on your own, and take charge of duties like purchasing books and parking permits. The freedom to be absent proves to be more of a curse than a blessing. I would tell my past self, "You're just thinking of the freedoms. Consider the duties and responsibilities as well."

The jump to college is a big one for students who are used to having their hand held. I was one such student. Accustomed to having my courses practically chosen for me, books delivered at my convenience, and bells to keep me in class on time, I sat quite comfortably in high school. In college, you'll have a rude awakening if you expect things to be done for you. I ended up stressing much over course registration and book purchases, and the ability to cut class at your discretion can prove to be more damning than convenient.

Exiting high school, I was among many college-bound graduates who believed that once in college, we would finally be rid of slackers, weak group contributors, and disinterested students. After all, you have to TRY to be accepted into a university. I was disappointed to find my expectations shattered. Although it is a step up, you'll still find students who seem to wish they weren't there. You'll still hear cries for deadline extensions and you'll still see struggling students turn to dishonest attempts to save their grade. Don't believe you'll leave it all behind.

The campus is small, allowing smaller class sizes and better communication with the professors. This also allows students to get to know others within their major and become comfortable working together, versus having continuos classes of 300 where you may never realize you have multiple courses with other students. It is like having your own small community in school. I absolutely love it.

If I could give the pre-college me advice I would tell myself to be more outgoing in school from the very beginning, to get involved with groups that interested me in order to create close bonds with other students with similar interests. I have only recently gotten involved with my campus and wish I had started long ago. Also, I would tell myself to take advantage of school resources, such as the librarians who aid in research, and the writing and math center where peers are hired on as tutors. I would also recommend to myself to take the extra time before class to look over my work and the course material for the day, it is worth more than the little bit of sleep or socializing. With our current budget crisis I would tell myself to visit a counselor and get myself on track, because a full course load in the beginning will help you surely graduate on time even with the unit holds that are being placed, and the classes that are being cut, making them difficult to get into. But mostly I would say live it up, these will be the best years of your life.

We are a fairly new school, which allows students to get involved with the creation of programs and groups. Because we are trying to figure out ways to accomidate and include everyone and create a close atmosphere within the school student leadership is held very highly. I feel that many aspects and organizations at the school are regulated by my peers who have a strong passion for their organizations and campus life.

Leann

I graduated high school almost three years ago. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would buy myself a cup of coffee and tell myself to sit back, open my ears, and enjoy the warm taste of caffine as I will have to learn to depend on it. My advice would be simple. This transition is not easy. Be prepared for change and maturity. Keep your head up and smile! There will be many situations that you will not be prepared for. But it will be OK. There are situations you will get in that will cause you great sadness, great joy, and great change. I will not tell you to what to avoid or what to point towards because without the rollercoaster of life, you can not learn. Everything falls into place gracefully. You will learn from the bad days and relish in the good days. You will learn to value every single penny and work hard for those dimes. Look forward to the people you will meet and the lessons they will teach you. Lead, learn, love, and laugh. Stay close to Mom and Dad. Stay innocent.

There are many stairs to climb to get to class.

I am fairly new to my school, and before attending I heard little about its reputation. One reason I applied was that I heard it was easy to get into, and I had little confidene regarding my qualifications for college, however; after attending this school for one semester, I absolutely love it. My previous notions about the easiness of the coursework were proved wrong. My courses have been challenging and interesting so far.

Cal State San Marcos is a small school, with an absolutely wonderful group of helpful professors and kind peers, as well as challenging yet interesting courses available.

One major thing that I wouldo have told myself was to try harder, although it may seem cliche. Yes, I did well in high school and still had over a 4.0 average at the end of my senior year, but I feel that had I applied myself to a fuller extent I would have had a much more enriching high school experience. I also would have told myself the importance of budgeting my money, because now I am definitely learning more than ever how expensive it is to be a college student! I would have stopped myself from buying unnecessary items and instead saving my money for college expenses to help my parents pay for schooling. I also would have told myself to show more appreciation for my parents, because now more than ever I am realizing how many sacrifices they make for me so that I can attend a university and live a nice life.

Christopher

If I were able to talk to myself as a senior I would have encouraged myself to apply to the better colleges and to not worry about the finances. Second, I would have encouraged myself to focus on building more relationships with my family and appreciate the time that I could spend with my father because I would not have that much more time with him. I would also tell myself to open-up more and to not be afraid to ask girls out because the worst they can say is no and to not be afraid of feeling uncomfortable.

It is a commuter campus so most of the population is only on campus when they have class. Developing a social life with the majority of the students is rather difficult because most of us hold down full-time jobs along with the full-time education. If you are looking for a social life then you need to live on-campus otherwise you will not be satisfied.

If you are not ready to write a lot then this is not the college for you. This school is definitely a writing school in-which every class the students are required to right rather long papers. Most of the time we have to write papers just for the sake of writing, most of the time the quality of the writing is graded higher than the content.

Passion for learning and teaching as well as winning the Nation's College Recycling award.

Three major issues I would have consulted with myself about are learning how to manage money before college and knowing the school and its liberal versus conservative views among staff. Lastly, I would have told myself to drop a class immediately if I could not understand the professor or if I had no passion for the subject.

The furlough days and lack of faculty presence because of lack of government funding for this school.

California State University-San Marcos administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.