San Marcos, CA
California State University-San Marcos

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-San Marcos

Cindy

My school is a very small and newer campus located in a very mellow area who is very enviornmentally friendly.

There is a small number of students in each classroom making it easier to have more one-one interaction with the professors.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to take things VERY seriously. Pay attention to class lectures and take lots of notes. Never fall behind on school work, for it does have a negative impact on your grade at the end of the semester. It is quite difficult to catch up once you fall behind. Always find time to study before exams well in advance, it will only be most beneficial to you. Make sure that you are taking the correct courses for your major, if you are not sure then make an appointment with your academic advisor, it sure would make things easier. Be social towards others on campus and try to make many friends. Join clubs or organizations that interest you to keep busy and meet new people. Most importantly, don't let the actions of others have an impact on you emotionally, not everyone is going to be nice and it may be hard to adjust living independantly and away from home, but keeping a postive outlook is always the best thing to do!

Apple

This school has a great business program, as well as, all the other programs for students who want to graduate with their bachelors.

This school is unique because it has all the classes needed to prepare a student for a succesful career without feeling like the, sometimes too overbearing, large universities like UCLA or USC.

A.J., you have one more year left of high school. You have made it this far. Do not quit now. You have been doing exceptionally well in all of your classes. Now it's time to step it up. Make sure you not only pass all the classes this year, but also take as much information from past classes to feed your brain. This will help you in deciding what you want to do in life and select your major. You want to start your college life quickly. Once you get accepted to the college you want to go to, do not hesitate to sign up for classes as soon as they open up for you. Make school a priority. I know friends, parties, get togethers, etc. are fun, but you have to focus. You will always have time for that. Get good grades in college. This will help you in qualifying for scholarships or even get you recognized to receive them. College is expesive, but if you get these good grades, you might get through college for free. Remember to be the best you can be and just have fun. All your hard work will pay you back.

Dominica

Cal State San Marcos is an excellent way to recieve a higher education and a great way to invest in your future, because it is a small campus with many programs tying to a specific university and is also still developing throughout the years.

I would tell myself that these days a college degree is necessary to sustain a comfortable life style. Even a bachelor?s degree might not be enough, a graduate degree ensures a lifelong career. a college education is the best investment a person could make to ensure your future. So you should try to find the best college that fits you. Also, you should stay involved in student activities and events; this will help keep you interested in school and have a reason to come back every semester. You also have a chance to meet new people and avoid loneliness which can lead to dropping out of school. I would also tell myself to apply for as many grants and scholarships, especially the FAFSA, and meet the deadlines ? those are important. College is expensive and a student can never have too much money. Also, stay on top of all your AP classes because you could skip up to a whole semester of your college career if you score high enough on the tests. Regular high school classes are important too, because the information you learn can still be useful and might also have a leg up in your college classes.

The worst thing about my university is that help is hard to find. Everything in the college life must be done on your own. A student must be on top of all deadlines and the resources available at your specific university or college. If your struggling in a class you have to find a way to recieve help and tutoring services. and at my university help is hard to find. Also, most of the work is done on your own not in the classroom.

Natasha

Senior year is a very difficult time for a 17-18 year old. You are faced with one of the most important decisions in your life. It is extremely stressful because this decision will determine your fate for the next four or so years, so you do not want to get it wrong. If I could go back in time, the advice I would give myself is do not choose a school that is far just because you are sick of your parents. Almost all freshmans are homesick at some point, some cases are stronger than others. Before you move across country make sure its truly what you want and not just to get back at your parents for not getting you a new car or something. I would also say visit and try to stay at each of your top schools before making the final decision. Often times than not the school is not what you pictured it to be and if you worked so hard in high school it is awful to be dissapointed. And lastly really research the schools and decide if this is really the best thing for you and how badly you want it.

Disregarding dream schools, and schools your parents want you to attend you should always research the school for yourself. You might have this amazing picture of the school in your head and then when you visit it you are totally dissapointed. If you wish to attend California State University- San Marcos you should be a patient individual. Since this school is only 20 years old, it is not fully developed. This makes it hard to fully enjoy yourself since there are various events, buildings, and traditions unknown. If you like to challenge yourself this is the perfect school!

Many individuals find it hard to wait for things. As I explained earlier, you will enjoy your time at CSU San Marcos if you are patient, and give the school time to fully develop. If you are someone who always wants to be busy, you probably will not like this university. CSUSM, is a fairly new addition to the city of San Marcos and because of this it is still undeveloped. If you are looking for a college town, an outstanding campus life, and non stop activities, CSUSM may not be the right place for you.

Zerlina

First off, I would tell myself to start applying for scholarships there and then. College is hard to pay for I would prefer to not take loans until needed. Second, I would tell myself to not worry about general ed classes yet, and instead dive head first into the core requirements for my major and the foreign language. I would remind myself that I?m smart and can handle the full 15 units if I don?t slack off ? Stop playing video games, Self! Perhaps I would go to the local JC during the summers to start my GEs. Not as important for graduating but still an essential part of college: I would tell myself its okay to meet new people and try to make friends.

Campus budget. I know it isn't the schools fault, but we have furlough days, a larger tuition, and (sometimes) a 13 unit cap for the smester. This makes taking the proper classes hard to get into and to pay for - plus with all the days off we're getting less bang for our buck.

Someone who only wants to party and simply slide in studying. While this isn't a hard school, a person won't succeed if all they do is drink and skip classes.

Heidi

My classmates are very intune with the course subjects and are very responsible and amazing classmates.

Having the opporunity to to go back in time and be able to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to challenge myself more in my class load because in college you can not get by the easy way. I learned that the hard way my first semester in college.

I would have encouraged the younger me to finish college while serving in the military since I tend to fit in better with the older graduate culture than I do with the younger undergraduate culture.

The faculty memebrs are friendly and willing to assist students who seek assistance.

The type of person who is ready to learn.

Erica

I would tell myself to make more of my own decisions when it comes to college instead of listening to my parents, friends, and family's wishes. I would tell myself that I shouldn't feel pressured to go to a certain college with my best friend instead of picking one out on my own because I am scared of making new friends. I would also tell myself to have a little more faith in my personality and trust that I can make new friends on my own. I would also probably tell myself to go to community college first instead of being obsessed with going away to a university right off the bat. Because I wasn't sure what I wanted to major in, I wish I would have gone to community college right away, then transferred to save money and take time to decide what I really wanted to do in life. Community college was one of the better experiences in my college career and I would tell myself not to be afraid that I would get stuck in the same place because of choosing to go to a local community college first.

My major, Mass Media, encompasses a large area of media production fields and I feel as though print media and print journalism are largely underrepresented. Shown through the types of courses offered in this major, print media is given much less courses compared to TV, internet, and radio news mediums. I wish my school would revamp the Mass Media major and make it more print journalism friendly since there isn't a specific Journalism major offered.

A lot of the time it is hard to get a hold of the person - be it a teacher, administrator, or counselor - that you need to talk to about an issue as a student. I feel like even when I get the right contact information for someone they do not always answer in a timely manner, or sometimes even at all. I would like to see a better directory of employee information on the school's website and more enthusiasm and effort from staff in responding to inquiries to squash this frustration with the lack of communication.

Cynthia

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as the na?ve high school senior I once was, I would probably remind myself of a number of important things I should have taken into consideration. Such as, studying for my ACTs and AP exams, passing one or more of my advance placement tests like US history or Enconmics would have helped me in the long-run by accumulating college credit to that particular class I took the exam in. I would also remind myself about how crucial it is to focus in high school in order to prepare me as a college student by not procrastinating, following deadlines, instructions, and rules.

CSUSM is a commuter school so the majority of students commute back-and-forth from their house to school each day. Students, including myself, struggle to find parking on a daily basis. To add onto the ?parking-wars,? paying for the parking permit for each semester is ridiculous because of the outrageously high price of $293 each permit. Although the school decided to build a parking structure to make things a bit easier for students and faculty, the absence of a structure promised to be completed by the summer has been delayed for the past couple of months.

A person who does not enjoy climbling stairs. Cal State San Marcos is known amongst the students as CSU "stair master" because of its numerous stair cases surrounding the campus. The campus also has not one floor level the same, a student can be on the third floor of the library and the first floor of academic hall, or even the second forth floor of craven hall.

Jaclyn

My school would be described as very personal, there is a smaller student body, teachers who are able to work more directly with their students compared to other universities, and very goal focused.

My classmates are obviously your typical college students, yet the students at my school seem to be very career focues and goal oriented, they all seem to have a specific plan in mind.

If I were able to go back in time and give myself some advice, the first thing I would tell myself is to stay on top of things. In high school, especially as a senior, it is all about enjoying your senior year, in other words you can slack off and get away with it for the most part. Secondly, I would tell myself, "USE YOUR PLANNER. " College professors may give you a syllabus, but if you do not know the dates for assignments, forget it. And lastly, I wish I could have told myself never to settle for doing average, or just enough, but to do things to the best of my ability. School is not about how fast you can get an assignment done or how easy it was, but what you gained from it. Throughout high school I tried, but did not always give my best effort, and now I am going to my back up school rather than my dream school.

California State University-San Marcos administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.