California State University-San Marcos

« See more reviews of California State University-San Marcos

Exiting high school, I was among many college-bound graduates who believed that once in college, we would finally be rid of slackers, weak group contributors, and disinterested students. After all, you have to TRY to be accepted into a university. I was disappointed to find my expectations shattered. Although it is a step up, you'll still find students who seem to wish they weren't there. You'll still hear cries for deadline extensions and you'll still see struggling students turn to dishonest attempts to save their grade. Don't believe you'll leave it all behind.

CSUSM is a commuter school so the majority of students commute back-and-forth from their house to school each day. Students, including myself, struggle to find parking on a daily basis. To add onto the ?parking-wars,? paying for the parking permit for each semester is ridiculous because of the outrageously high price of $293 each permit. Although the school decided to build a parking structure to make things a bit easier for students and faculty, the absence of a structure promised to be completed by the summer has been delayed for the past couple of months.

My major, Mass Media, encompasses a large area of media production fields and I feel as though print media and print journalism are largely underrepresented. Shown through the types of courses offered in this major, print media is given much less courses compared to TV, internet, and radio news mediums. I wish my school would revamp the Mass Media major and make it more print journalism friendly since there isn't a specific Journalism major offered.

The worst thing about CSUSM is the lack of openness and respect toward those with conservative and/or Christian worldviews. One is almost treated like a neanderthal for being a conservative. It is also difficult being a Christian and having a professor tell me that I supposedly evolved from primordial ooze. Other people can't hear my viewpoints or even form their own opinion because it is automatically dismissed as stupid and uneducated.

The worst thing about my university is that help is hard to find. Everything in the college life must be done on your own. A student must be on top of all deadlines and the resources available at your specific university or college. If your struggling in a class you have to find a way to recieve help and tutoring services. and at my university help is hard to find. Also, most of the work is done on your own not in the classroom.

It is a commuter campus so most of the population is only on campus when they have class. Developing a social life with the majority of the students is rather difficult because most of us hold down full-time jobs along with the full-time education. If you are looking for a social life then you need to live on-campus otherwise you will not be satisfied.

California State University of San Marcos is still very small and underdeveloped. This really discourages college students from forming more relationships with other students because there is no recreational facilities and the dorms are not big enough to encourage kids to live on campus.

What I would describe as the worst thing about it is the physical location of campus. It is off a bypass highway between a couple of main freeways . Most people I know do not even know where my Univeristy is, so I describe where in reference it is to another major surrounding city.

Campus budget. I know it isn't the schools fault, but we have furlough days, a larger tuition, and (sometimes) a 13 unit cap for the smester. This makes taking the proper classes hard to get into and to pay for - plus with all the days off we're getting less bang for our buck.

The worst thing about CSUSM is how hard the school has been hit by budget cuts. We now have implemented furlough days and the professors seem somewhat unmotivated. The classes have been cut short and getting into the nursing program is almost impossible due to limited space.