California State University-San Marcos Top Questions

In high school it is really easy to get caught up in relationships, and other things that potentially distract a focused mind, it can cripple the chances of fully succeeding. My advice would be to really focus on myself, and not get wrapped up in temporary problems. Also to tell myself that high school is only difficult as I make it seem, that it's much easier than college. The other advice I would give would be to value the free education that was granted to us as high school students, because things become so expenisve in college. I would tell myself to lighten up, quit stressing about things that are out of my control. I was worrying about whether my dad would be able to pay rent, I was worried about our next meal. I would tell myself that my dad loves me and he is trying the best that he can. I would tell myself to remind my parents that I loved them, and that I apperciated everything they do for me on a daily basis. Lastly, I would give myself a hug and let myself know that my depression and self harm tendencies would subside.

Carlos

Hey kid, I know you hated High School, looking at all those teachers who did not care for you or even bothered to give you an honest positive feedback from your exams; however, the University where you are going to attend is full of amazing teachers. Trust me, all those, "Good Job!" comments will become more complex and actually help you as you advance through University. From, "Good Job!" to "This paragraph was composed of several keywords that relate to the chapter which made this paper enjoyable, try to use other points of view in the second paragraph. ". What I want you to always remember is that University is not as hard as everyone exaggerates about or as nerve-recking, I must be honest, the first time I arrived at my dorm I felt lonely and a bit depressed, be ready for that by the way. However, I met my roommate and everything became more casual as if I was at home again. One more thing, I can not stress this enough, be ready to give up various hours of video games and social media hours to study and do your homework, you are a straight A student.

Raihana

Take AP and Honors courses! Those courses will help you prepare for the work load in college and will help you save money on courses as well. Plan a career path when your in high school and give yourself some time while doing your general ed. Think long and hard about what you want to do so you can get in and get out! Don't switch up your major too much, it will waste your time. However, make sure you pick a field that you love and envision yourself having a career in. Have an open mind! The time you spend in college and the people you meet will change you. Its an amazing feeling to grow as an individual with the education you recieve and learning from the people around you. Do what you love and be open to figuring yourself out, life will never saty the same. Meet new people, learn from people, travel, and plan your future with your best interest.

If I could go back to my senior year in high school I would give myself the advice of being outgoing and willing to break out of my shell. I would also tell myself to try and join a club or sport.

Karri

If I could go back to myself when I was in high school I would say that life is hard but if you work for what you want, you can reach your goal. I would also remind myself that things do not always go as planned so just relax and let life fall into place, because it will work out in the end. I would also advice myself to be social because having friends in classes help you learn, and also become life long friends. The most important lesson I would teach myself is to be well organized because keeping track of upcoming event will prevent frustration and pain later on. Being well organized and having time management skills would be great advice to give to myself because it would help me to succeed and avoid future problems.

I know that you are afraid to step out of your comfort zone, and I know that what you fear the most is the thought of letting go of the life that you built for yourself up until now, but you can't let these irrational fears, or any fear, stop you from having an amazing college experience. Everyone is hurt, or knocked down the same way and fear only dictates the negative impact, so stop being afraid and realize that your fear is an indication of your weak points. You will make mistakes experience loss, from relationships to disapointment, but loss is inevitable, so rather than looking at what you have lost, look at what you have left, becasue the things that you do have left, like your talents or your friendships, will help you heal, and just as a bone is the strongest after the break, you will be a stronger person after your loss. The actual transition to college only takes a few weeks, and knowing you, you are strong enough to handle it, but I urge you to make as many mistakes as possible, becasue by the end, you will be unstoppable.

Desirae

It feels like the world is against you, I know. Your parents do not understand you, there is pressure to be the "best dressed" every single day, and every little thing seems so important. You cannot wait to leave your house and have your own freedom. You do not want to do chores or follow the rules your parents have set for you. You want to be rebellious and do whatever you want. In the end, it is insignificant. Those high school relationships will fade. It is sad, but true. Once you are in college, it will not matter where you sit during your lunch period. You will learn that your family is, and has been, the most important support system in your life. Your parents have been with you since day one and they have stuck with you all of this time. Your parents will become the people you talk to the most and share your struggles with. Do not stress over the little things and laugh them off. Learn to treasure the time you have with friends, have fun, and live in the moment. Learn to not worry about what makes other people happy and focus on you.

You have been accepted to UCR and CSUSM, I know everyone is pushing you to go to San Marcos for their nursing school, but believe me, this is not for you. You will take a nursing class and you will absolutely hate it. Medical school seems almost impossible but you can do it. Don't let others' beliefs get in your way, you and only you can create the path towards your dream. Don't reach for nursing when you know that your heart is set on medical school. I know it may seem overwhelming now but it is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all and remain wondering for the rest of your life: what if i had gone to UCR? What if I actually became a doctor? Don't undermine yourself, go for UCR, live out your dream! Making mistakes is okay. It's okay for you to make the wrong decision, because if it is something you really want, you will look for another way to continue your path towards you dream!

take your time and try not to have your hardships take over your education. I think that was a fall back for me because life was interferring with my grades and focus and my focus also needed to be high GPA so i could get more funding to further my education and not stop at just a BA degree

Pursue Financial Aid and don't let your parents' income hold you back from getting the financial help you need. Take the plunge and live in a dorm, it's a real life experience worth not missing. Get together with your friends and find out where they're all going for college and what their plans are, some of them are just as afraid of the great unknown. Find that perfect someone to show you around campus to help ease your fears. Don't be afraid to grow up because going back later won't be any easier with kids, a job, pets, etc.

The advice I would give myself would be to try and take more advanced classes. Some AP classes in high school count towards college so I wish that I would've taken some more of those. I would also advice myself to get more involved in school. I would tell myself to maybe try out for one of the sports teams or to join some type of club. When applying to colleges, a lot of the applications asked about the extra-curricular activities that I did, and also joining them in high school would make it a lot easier to join them in college. Joining clubs makes you more of a sociable person and being more social is a good thing to obtain while on your own in college.

Jaime

For the most part I was rather well prepared for college. I knew what I wanted to do and stayed with the same major. However, the best advice I think I would give myself is to make more friends and spend more time on campus meeting people and being involved. Along the same lines, I would advise myself to join an honor society to make connections with people in my field of study. I would tell myself not to be afraid to make mistakes, have fun and enjoy the social aspect of college. I would also tell myself that I can handle taking five classes a semseter instead of four classes, because then I would be able to graduate a year earlier than I did. Most importantly, I would tell myself to not be intimidated by other college students and to say whatever thought I during class discussions. Finally, I would tell myself to take German as my foreign langugae instead of Spanish. I have always wanted to learn German, but I listened to the advice of my papernts and took Spanish instead. That is the one regret that I have about college, that I am not better at German.

Tripp

I would say that most of the so called "friends" in high school are not friends at all. They are only are hanging out with you or choosing not to hang out with you because it makes them appear to be in the "in" crowd. But when you get to college, whether or not you were in the "in" crowd in high school immedaitely ceases to matter. This is because when everyone gets to college no cliques or groups exist because everyone there is away from home and their high school "friends" and they are all now in the same boat along with you and thus have to start all over and make new friends. In this situation, whether or not any person is apart of some clique doesn't matter since these don't exist, but rather the only qualities that matter for friend making are those that are truly yours - not what you pretend to have or others think you have. Thus the friends that you will make in college will truly be your friends because they will cherish you for who are and will be your friends for life.

Prepare yourself for writing requirements. Invest the time to improve your writing skills and abilities before your first paper is due. Become involved on campus in someway whether its arts and culture, clubs, sports, outreach programs etc. Invest time and involvement in volunteering and community efforts, because it will only beneift you inwardly and outwardly. Most importantly enjoy the college wave, because it most likely will only come once.

To be extremely disciplined, focus on my studies for the future. Talk with college counselors, tour a college campus and maybe even take a college course.

Networking is the most important thing ever! get involved and dont be afraid to shout out your own ideas and opinions. Get involved with sports, clubs, internships and especially your professors. Your instructors are the key to alot of opportunities like important contacts, internships of all kinds and most importantly jobs for after graduation. Getting to know people in other clubs and majors will help you overall know exactly what you want to do and how you want to approach your goal.

Since I started college, I have become more independent and responsible. Taking my own choices and being responsible for my school work as well as my athletic responsabilities I have learned how to handle certain situations. I have realized it is my time to start creating my corner stones for my future.

sarah

I have so enjoyed my college experience thus far. I have learned concepts and tools that I will truly take with me for the rest of life. Not only what you learn in the textbooks or within the classroom, but how to communicate with professors, how to do nearly everything on your own, and how to successfully manage your time. I have learned to understand HOW I learn and the steps I must take in the classroom in order to maintian that information. Nothing is "easy" in college and nothing is handed to you with no strings attached, however it shows you how the real world operates, and what you can do to be a powerhouse in this world. I have learned my passions and my talents; this gift alone is what I consider to be invaluable.

I am getting better grades in college than I am in high school because I love the classes I am in as well as the teachers. My professors are great and really help me if I do not understand something. I am able to make a schedule that works well for with classes that I am actually interested in, while also still working to help put myself through college. I can apply what I learn in my classes to my everyday life and I love how I can relate that more now to my life today. I know that by attending college I have a better chance at being successful at life and my professors support my success. I can learn to be an adult while at college because it requires a lot of maturity and it also requires discipline and some tough decisions. I would not take back the choice I made in my college because it fits me just right.

The most important thing I have gotten out of my college experience, so far, is a value for diversity and a greater tolerance for differences. My most challenging and favorite classes have been the ones where I've studied issues of racism, discrimination, gender stereotypes, LGBTQ issues, and women's issues. These are the classes that I feel I have been most impacted in and have grown and matured in. Being exposed to others students' opinions that are completely different than my own has forced me to open my eyes to my own prejudices and stereotypes. and rethink ideologies that I have always held on to so tightly. College is an opportunity to broaden one's visions and horizons and being an individual who is empathetic, compassionate, and aware of other?s struggles. Those who fight on behalf of others are a very important contribution to society and progression. If it were not for those who were willing to stand up and fight against injustice , our society would be a dark and unaccepting.

During my first semester at California State University San Marcos, I've broadened my horizons for the future. I've learned things about the mind in philosophy and psychology. This has fueled my desire to enter the field of medicine. I enrolled in an Intro to Theatre class and this has made me want to pick up some acting. I would like to take some acting classes for fun and see where that takes me. I've made new friends, more than I had in high school and this has boosted my confidence level. I'm excited to attend classes every day. It has been valuable for me to attend class because to get into the Nursing program I need a gpa of at least 2.0. My first semester, my gpa was 3.4! I have worked hard for the grades I achieved. I'm ecstatic for the progress I'm making in college and cannot wait to start my career. Success is fueling me toward a good future. Overall, I want to live a comfortable lifestyle and make my parents proud.

quincey

I have gained a variety of experiences both good and bad from being in college. From doing my first team project with a person from a foreign country who I could barely understand to being on my own and living with roommates for the first time. College has helped me grow into a better and more diverse person. On top of gaining experience that will lead to a career being in college is a world among itself that will teach you many things about the world if you let it. While I 'm not so happy about the debt I obtained while in college the information I received more than made up for it.

College has taught me more about life than I would have ever imagined. Between living on my own and managing my schoolwork, I have grown so much in the past two years. The most valuable thing I've learned was to save money and budget better. Everyone says this but until you begin college and begin paying for classes, books, bills, and rent, you truly have no appreciation for money and its worth. In addition I have learned that procrastination is detrimental in college. After having to wake up mid-morning numerous times to write an essay or do an assignment I have most definitely learned that getting things done as soon as you receive the assignment is the best policy, instead of waiting until the last minute. I've also learned a lot about different people and interacting with different types of people. College has been an extremely valuable addition to my life, not only because of the knowledge that I am receiving through the classes, but also for the incredible life-lessons I am learning.

I would tell myself to really enjoy and cherish the upcoming experiences in my college years. I would say to myself that life will have its ups and downs and not to get discouraged when tough times do approach. To immerse myself more student life and what the school has to offer. I would add to keep a stronger balance with work and play as I have stressed myself out early in my college transition. The last thing I would say is to love my family and friends more and to create better relationships with them.

As a high school senior, I really wish I would have focused on what school was going to give me the best experience. I ignored the facts and picked a commuter school in sunny San Diego to save my parents the burden of paying the out of state tuition and me the burden of dealing with cold and wet weather. This year I am giving myself a do-over and transfering to a school that is school spirited, apart of the community, in a college town, and of course going to give me an excellent education. These are the qualities I should have been looking for in a school my senior year.

Cindy

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to take things VERY seriously. Pay attention to class lectures and take lots of notes. Never fall behind on school work, for it does have a negative impact on your grade at the end of the semester. It is quite difficult to catch up once you fall behind. Always find time to study before exams well in advance, it will only be most beneficial to you. Make sure that you are taking the correct courses for your major, if you are not sure then make an appointment with your academic advisor, it sure would make things easier. Be social towards others on campus and try to make many friends. Join clubs or organizations that interest you to keep busy and meet new people. Most importantly, don't let the actions of others have an impact on you emotionally, not everyone is going to be nice and it may be hard to adjust living independantly and away from home, but keeping a postive outlook is always the best thing to do!

Apple

A.J., you have one more year left of high school. You have made it this far. Do not quit now. You have been doing exceptionally well in all of your classes. Now it's time to step it up. Make sure you not only pass all the classes this year, but also take as much information from past classes to feed your brain. This will help you in deciding what you want to do in life and select your major. You want to start your college life quickly. Once you get accepted to the college you want to go to, do not hesitate to sign up for classes as soon as they open up for you. Make school a priority. I know friends, parties, get togethers, etc. are fun, but you have to focus. You will always have time for that. Get good grades in college. This will help you in qualifying for scholarships or even get you recognized to receive them. College is expesive, but if you get these good grades, you might get through college for free. Remember to be the best you can be and just have fun. All your hard work will pay you back.

Dominica

I would tell myself that these days a college degree is necessary to sustain a comfortable life style. Even a bachelor?s degree might not be enough, a graduate degree ensures a lifelong career. a college education is the best investment a person could make to ensure your future. So you should try to find the best college that fits you. Also, you should stay involved in student activities and events; this will help keep you interested in school and have a reason to come back every semester. You also have a chance to meet new people and avoid loneliness which can lead to dropping out of school. I would also tell myself to apply for as many grants and scholarships, especially the FAFSA, and meet the deadlines ? those are important. College is expensive and a student can never have too much money. Also, stay on top of all your AP classes because you could skip up to a whole semester of your college career if you score high enough on the tests. Regular high school classes are important too, because the information you learn can still be useful and might also have a leg up in your college classes.

Natasha

Senior year is a very difficult time for a 17-18 year old. You are faced with one of the most important decisions in your life. It is extremely stressful because this decision will determine your fate for the next four or so years, so you do not want to get it wrong. If I could go back in time, the advice I would give myself is do not choose a school that is far just because you are sick of your parents. Almost all freshmans are homesick at some point, some cases are stronger than others. Before you move across country make sure its truly what you want and not just to get back at your parents for not getting you a new car or something. I would also say visit and try to stay at each of your top schools before making the final decision. Often times than not the school is not what you pictured it to be and if you worked so hard in high school it is awful to be dissapointed. And lastly really research the schools and decide if this is really the best thing for you and how badly you want it.

Zerlina

First off, I would tell myself to start applying for scholarships there and then. College is hard to pay for I would prefer to not take loans until needed. Second, I would tell myself to not worry about general ed classes yet, and instead dive head first into the core requirements for my major and the foreign language. I would remind myself that I?m smart and can handle the full 15 units if I don?t slack off ? Stop playing video games, Self! Perhaps I would go to the local JC during the summers to start my GEs. Not as important for graduating but still an essential part of college: I would tell myself its okay to meet new people and try to make friends.

Heidi

Having the opporunity to to go back in time and be able to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to challenge myself more in my class load because in college you can not get by the easy way. I learned that the hard way my first semester in college.

I would have encouraged the younger me to finish college while serving in the military since I tend to fit in better with the older graduate culture than I do with the younger undergraduate culture.

I would tell myself to make more of my own decisions when it comes to college instead of listening to my parents, friends, and family's wishes. I would tell myself that I shouldn't feel pressured to go to a certain college with my best friend instead of picking one out on my own because I am scared of making new friends. I would also tell myself to have a little more faith in my personality and trust that I can make new friends on my own. I would also probably tell myself to go to community college first instead of being obsessed with going away to a university right off the bat. Because I wasn't sure what I wanted to major in, I wish I would have gone to community college right away, then transferred to save money and take time to decide what I really wanted to do in life. Community college was one of the better experiences in my college career and I would tell myself not to be afraid that I would get stuck in the same place because of choosing to go to a local community college first.

Cynthia

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as the na?ve high school senior I once was, I would probably remind myself of a number of important things I should have taken into consideration. Such as, studying for my ACTs and AP exams, passing one or more of my advance placement tests like US history or Enconmics would have helped me in the long-run by accumulating college credit to that particular class I took the exam in. I would also remind myself about how crucial it is to focus in high school in order to prepare me as a college student by not procrastinating, following deadlines, instructions, and rules.

Jaclyn

If I were able to go back in time and give myself some advice, the first thing I would tell myself is to stay on top of things. In high school, especially as a senior, it is all about enjoying your senior year, in other words you can slack off and get away with it for the most part. Secondly, I would tell myself, "USE YOUR PLANNER. " College professors may give you a syllabus, but if you do not know the dates for assignments, forget it. And lastly, I wish I could have told myself never to settle for doing average, or just enough, but to do things to the best of my ability. School is not about how fast you can get an assignment done or how easy it was, but what you gained from it. Throughout high school I tried, but did not always give my best effort, and now I am going to my back up school rather than my dream school.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definitely tell myself to take as many AP classes as possible. Being a junior in college now, I am really starting to notice how much easier it would have been if I had gotten more of my general classes out of the way while I was in high school. I would have also told myself to apply for college a lot sooner than I did. Because I went to an American school overseas since my father was in the military, our couselors had to deal with students from all over the U.S. This meant they could not notify every student about application dates and deadlines for each and every school so it was very difficult for me to find out how to do everything I needed to apply for schools in California. As much as I like my school now, I wish I had to opportunity to get information on UC's and apply for them and maybe have even a better college expeience.

Misconceptions. A high school senior's perception of college is full of them. In hindsight, I laugh to think of the idealistic expectations I had those few years ago. If I could go back in time and give advice to the kid I was when exiting high school, I would have a lot to say. More than anything though, I would want to slap myself and shout, "Wake up! On your toes! It gets tough now!" The common understanding among myself and my peers was that the college experience was all about freedom. Which it is. Freedom and responsibility. I had thought only about how convenient it would be to be able to cut class on a whim, choose whatever classes you like, and participate in any number of extra activities. I had neglected to consider that to do each would require discretion. You are expected to enroll in classes on your own, and take charge of duties like purchasing books and parking permits. The freedom to be absent proves to be more of a curse than a blessing. I would tell my past self, "You're just thinking of the freedoms. Consider the duties and responsibilities as well."

If I could give the pre-college me advice I would tell myself to be more outgoing in school from the very beginning, to get involved with groups that interested me in order to create close bonds with other students with similar interests. I have only recently gotten involved with my campus and wish I had started long ago. Also, I would tell myself to take advantage of school resources, such as the librarians who aid in research, and the writing and math center where peers are hired on as tutors. I would also recommend to myself to take the extra time before class to look over my work and the course material for the day, it is worth more than the little bit of sleep or socializing. With our current budget crisis I would tell myself to visit a counselor and get myself on track, because a full course load in the beginning will help you surely graduate on time even with the unit holds that are being placed, and the classes that are being cut, making them difficult to get into. But mostly I would say live it up, these will be the best years of your life.

Leann

I graduated high school almost three years ago. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would buy myself a cup of coffee and tell myself to sit back, open my ears, and enjoy the warm taste of caffine as I will have to learn to depend on it. My advice would be simple. This transition is not easy. Be prepared for change and maturity. Keep your head up and smile! There will be many situations that you will not be prepared for. But it will be OK. There are situations you will get in that will cause you great sadness, great joy, and great change. I will not tell you to what to avoid or what to point towards because without the rollercoaster of life, you can not learn. Everything falls into place gracefully. You will learn from the bad days and relish in the good days. You will learn to value every single penny and work hard for those dimes. Look forward to the people you will meet and the lessons they will teach you. Lead, learn, love, and laugh. Stay close to Mom and Dad. Stay innocent.

One major thing that I wouldo have told myself was to try harder, although it may seem cliche. Yes, I did well in high school and still had over a 4.0 average at the end of my senior year, but I feel that had I applied myself to a fuller extent I would have had a much more enriching high school experience. I also would have told myself the importance of budgeting my money, because now I am definitely learning more than ever how expensive it is to be a college student! I would have stopped myself from buying unnecessary items and instead saving my money for college expenses to help my parents pay for schooling. I also would have told myself to show more appreciation for my parents, because now more than ever I am realizing how many sacrifices they make for me so that I can attend a university and live a nice life.

If I were able to talk to myself as a senior I would have encouraged myself to apply to the better colleges and to not worry about the finances. Second, I would have encouraged myself to focus on building more relationships with my family and appreciate the time that I could spend with my father because I would not have that much more time with him. I would also tell myself to open-up more and to not be afraid to ask girls out because the worst they can say is no and to not be afraid of feeling uncomfortable.

Three major issues I would have consulted with myself about are learning how to manage money before college and knowing the school and its liberal versus conservative views among staff. Lastly, I would have told myself to drop a class immediately if I could not understand the professor or if I had no passion for the subject.

Robyn

My college carreer so far has been bittersweet. Not living on campus my first year and not socializing very much has been making it the "bitter" part of my college life, since I do not have many friends at this college. If I could go back and talk to myself during my senior year of high school I wouln't change that much, for the endevours I have experienced have made me the strong and independent person I am today. One piece of advice that I think I would benefit the most from, would be telling myself to socialize and to visit the few people I knew in the dorms more often. The friends I have that lived their first year in school in the on campus apartments have made so many lifelong friends and I'm still stuck with the few that I went into college knowing. Not that I regret my decision of living off campus, but a few more friends would have definiltely made my college experience more savy.

Gregory

In my particular path that I've chosen, it's taken me quite awhile to finish school. I find it a bit ironic writing this essay under the instructions, as Im now a senior in my final semester at CSUSM. If I were to go back and give myself advice,it would be to take high school and the college transition more seriously. Although I do feel as though I tried hard, my grades were just satisfactory. I didnt invest the time into researching colleges and majors and opportunities. I would tell my younger self to go above and beyond what was asked of me, to learn and aspire without limits. I feel as though I did the bare minimum and now I'm paying for it. In my last two semesters at CSUSM, I made the Dean's List. This has felt like some sort of redemption for the past, but in making the transition I would have told myself to focus more and stay on track despite the alternatives and obstacles around me.

Greg

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would tell myself is "Don't go to Cal State San Marcos! Pick a higher rated school like USC." I would also tell my high school self to get involved in clubs and intramural sports at whatever school I choose. I would recommend to branch off and find friends outside of my roommates and other kids in the dorms. I would say to myself to just be myself and if people don't like me don't care about that. My final recommendation to my high school self would be to make sure I do well academically. I would say that grades are the most important part and just remind myself to not slack off so I can get out of school in four years.

If I could go back in time and talk to myslef as a senior, there is a lot of advice that I would give to myself. It would start out with the relationship aspect of going to college. I would say do not follow any boyfriend to college...it may turn out as pure heartache. I would tell myself to save money instead of taking out so many loans. I would tell myself to live a little and go out with the girls once in a blue moon. I would tell myself to keep in touch with the ones that I love, no matter how far away we live from each other. I would tell myself to never give up even when you feel like the world is coming down around you. I would say never lose faith in God because He is the only thing that will light your path in times of lonliness. I would tell myself to cut my twin sister some slack when she has had a long day and forgot to pick up laundry detergent. I would tell myself to call my parents and say thank you for raising me right.

Take those AP classes seriously because they can save me from taking classes in college that I could have taken in high school.

I felt the transition was easy. I felt high school did provide enough information for me to succeed. I feel very happy the way college has been so far. I feel I'm a part and the teachers have been outstanding so far. I'm considering furthering my education after 4 years at this college. I feel that the college is not too large. The campus is nice and I feel at home there.

Rita

I would tell myself to take my classes more seriously and that there is life after high school so prepare for it.

Since I am a Literature and Writing major, I would have advised myself to read more literary works BEFORE I arrived at college. Then I would be better equipped to integrate my prior readings into class discussions now and sound smart :) Also, this would have enabled me to better understand literary movements and periods. Secondly, I would have advised myself to buy my textbooks on amazon.com or from other outside sources. For my first few semesters in college, I bought all my books from the campus book store, and I had the "bright" idea that I should buy all my books new so I could keep them and they wouldn't have any marks on them. Well, it ended up costing me so much money, when I could have just as easily bought all my textbooks from a cheaper source and still kept them. Also, I would have told myself about ratemyprofessors.com the FIRST semester I came to college so I could avoid having some boring professors :)