California State University-San Marcos

« See more reviews of California State University-San Marcos

If I were able to go back in time and give myself some advice, the first thing I would tell myself is to stay on top of things. In high school, especially as a senior, it is all about enjoying your senior year, in other words you can slack off and get away with it for the most part. Secondly, I would tell myself, "USE YOUR PLANNER. " College professors may give you a syllabus, but if you do not know the dates for assignments, forget it. And lastly, I wish I could have told myself never to settle for doing average, or just enough, but to do things to the best of my ability. School is not about how fast you can get an assignment done or how easy it was, but what you gained from it. Throughout high school I tried, but did not always give my best effort, and now I am going to my back up school rather than my dream school.

When deciding on which college to attend, make sure that you are comfortable with all the main aspects of the campus, including the location of the school and the faculty. If the college offers an orientation session, it would be best to attend. Not only do you get to know the campus and the facilities available to the students, but you also have the opportunity to meet other students who are just starting college as well. Many of the orientations are divided into majors, which is helpful because you will more likely have classes with these people at one point or another. Another helpful tip is to make use of the professor's office hours and means of communication (i.e. email and phone). I have found that when I do not understand a topic in class, communicating with the teacher outside of class hours is helpful.

One major thing that I wouldo have told myself was to try harder, although it may seem cliche. Yes, I did well in high school and still had over a 4.0 average at the end of my senior year, but I feel that had I applied myself to a fuller extent I would have had a much more enriching high school experience. I also would have told myself the importance of budgeting my money, because now I am definitely learning more than ever how expensive it is to be a college student! I would have stopped myself from buying unnecessary items and instead saving my money for college expenses to help my parents pay for schooling. I also would have told myself to show more appreciation for my parents, because now more than ever I am realizing how many sacrifices they make for me so that I can attend a university and live a nice life.

I am getting better grades in college than I am in high school because I love the classes I am in as well as the teachers. My professors are great and really help me if I do not understand something. I am able to make a schedule that works well for with classes that I am actually interested in, while also still working to help put myself through college. I can apply what I learn in my classes to my everyday life and I love how I can relate that more now to my life today. I know that by attending college I have a better chance at being successful at life and my professors support my success. I can learn to be an adult while at college because it requires a lot of maturity and it also requires discipline and some tough decisions. I would not take back the choice I made in my college because it fits me just right.

When you are in high school, you tend to not apply to schools because you think you won't get it, or because you don't want to pay the application fees. My advice would be to apply to all schools you are interested in and could see yourself at, even if you spend a few hundred dollars on application fees. School already costs thousands of dollars, but you can't get in to that school that will cost you thousands unless you apply. You never know if you will be chosen, if if you think you don't have a high enough GPA or enough community service. You can't get in to a university unless you apply. You want to be able to have all the possible choices available to you so you will make the right decision and be able to enjoy your college years learning and developing to get to where you want to be in life.

College should be chosen based on the similarities of an individual. It shouldn't be chosen based on reputations, sports, or social life, rather, the educational experience one may encounter. College is the time to find yourself as an indivdual based on the information you learn at school. Although the extra curricular activities make life interesting, college should be looked at as a special gift, for some may never get to experience collge and all it has to offfer. Persoanally, i found collge rewarding because i was able to grown spirtitually and mentally, given the resources to become a better individual. College expands ones way of thinking and gives the value of appreciation, onves given if only able to see and be willing to work hard for.

I have so enjoyed my college experience thus far. I have learned concepts and tools that I will truly take with me for the rest of life. Not only what you learn in the textbooks or within the classroom, but how to communicate with professors, how to do nearly everything on your own, and how to successfully manage your time. I have learned to understand HOW I learn and the steps I must take in the classroom in order to maintian that information. Nothing is "easy" in college and nothing is handed to you with no strings attached, however it shows you how the real world operates, and what you can do to be a powerhouse in this world. I have learned my passions and my talents; this gift alone is what I consider to be invaluable.

If I could go back to myself when I was in high school I would say that life is hard but if you work for what you want, you can reach your goal. I would also remind myself that things do not always go as planned so just relax and let life fall into place, because it will work out in the end. I would also advice myself to be social because having friends in classes help you learn, and also become life long friends. The most important lesson I would teach myself is to be well organized because keeping track of upcoming event will prevent frustration and pain later on. Being well organized and having time management skills would be great advice to give to myself because it would help me to succeed and avoid future problems.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would tell myself is "Don't go to Cal State San Marcos! Pick a higher rated school like USC." I would also tell my high school self to get involved in clubs and intramural sports at whatever school I choose. I would recommend to branch off and find friends outside of my roommates and other kids in the dorms. I would say to myself to just be myself and if people don't like me don't care about that. My final recommendation to my high school self would be to make sure I do well academically. I would say that grades are the most important part and just remind myself to not slack off so I can get out of school in four years.

The advice I would give myself would be to try and take more advanced classes. Some AP classes in high school count towards college so I wish that I would've taken some more of those. I would also advice myself to get more involved in school. I would tell myself to maybe try out for one of the sports teams or to join some type of club. When applying to colleges, a lot of the applications asked about the extra-curricular activities that I did, and also joining them in high school would make it a lot easier to join them in college. Joining clubs makes you more of a sociable person and being more social is a good thing to obtain while on your own in college.