California State University-Stanislaus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California State University-Stanislaus

sarah

I hated my time at Stan. The area is boring, the school is boring, the sports are boring, the sororities are boring, the boys are boring. Everything sucked honestly.

Rebecca

it is a large campus where upmost safety is ensured. There is not much political activity (protesting) but students are very friendly and wont hesitate to help someone else in need. The teachers I have met so far are ridiculously funny and will help students when asked. with the right choices the food is delicious and healthy.But, parking is a hassle due to the lack of space + tight quarters and students who drive carelessly. I feel that CSU can improve on the parking areas and the security watching over cars.

Monique

Honestly, CSU Stanislaus is a good school. The professors are mostly nice and help when needed. The campus is pretty and extremely safe. The class size on average is about 20-30. The location is not good. It is quite embarrassing to attend a college which most people have not heard of. All of the 'fun' things to do are outside of campus, but even then Turlock is a very boring town. There is a bowling alley and a movie theater, but that's about it. If you don't mind staying home and doing nothing all day, but maybe watch shows then this school and this area is perfect for you. This school would be great for those who don't want to stray to far from Turlock or don't mind staying in the Stanislaus county area since most CSU Stan alumnus stay in or around this area after graduation.

Helen

Best college to attend if doing traditional campus. Its safe with small class size. The Professor are there to help when every needed. I graduated from there in 2006 it save my life. It was a great experience.

Marcela

-It is one of the smallest schools I've ever attended/been to. people from surrounding homes tend to walk straight through campus on little walks which may be a little scary at times but it's not the biggest deal, the dorms are safe, and the classrooms are very tiny in number of students. my math class only has about 33 people, for comparison my community college had almost 48 kids in a math class at times. it is a very friendly school, there isn't much to do around here but technically we are here to study and do good in school. food is good, activities are endless and seem like a lot of fun.

Dylan

Most of the students are very friendly and eager to learn. Teachers really put forth there most effort to push students to their greatest potential. People are very friendly and get along all the time. You will succeed here and thrive if you put your best effort into getting your degree.

Emma

Stanislaus State is a good school but not most peoples first choice. I am attending the school, like most people, because I can still live at home and commute. They do have a nursing program though that fits my needs as a student but it is highly impacted program. This year, is my first year t Stanislaus and the teachers seem to be good at what they do and accessible to students. The campus offers lots of different programs to help students like tutoring, counseling, and varies clubs.

Natalie

I definitely enjoy my new school as a junior college transfer student. I enjoy the feel of calm in the school and the help provided both by teachers and other students. My goal is to be a teacher and my school in particular feels like a perfect fit for where I can start getting into my future career as an educator.

Yaritzza

I am currently attending CSU Stanislaus and I find it really convenient. There are two campuses, the Turlock site, the main site, and a Stockton site, which is practical for those who commute and live closer to Stockton. The staff is really helpful and will answer questions to the best of their abilities, and if they don't have the answers, then they find someone who does and refer them to you. The campus is small which makes it less of a hassle to walk from the parking lot to the class, from the class to the library, and from class to class. They provide a lot of services such as psychological services, food services, health services, and technology services. Professors try their best to help you in answering questions and helping you in many other ways. I would highly recommend considering this campus to anybody.

Marlin

CSI Stan gives their students a great college experience. As a student I have found many resources to help with my academics. The town it is located in is very calm and quite. Overall the environment is relaxing helping keep focus. One thing that does need improvement is the schools overall model and catering.

Bethany

Living on campus has its benefits, easy access to campus, no commuting, no parking fees (but can have a car if you want),easier access to different classes due to not having to commute, easy access to dining areas and meal plans, easier access to meeting with professors or major advisors. Most professors have their own office hours but will easily work with you after class and stay and talk, department chairs, advisors are all very friendly.

Aracely

Overall CSUS is a very intimate campus which is what I enjoy it is not overwhelming populated so it is easy to meet new people. The campus is very beautiful especially during the fall. Professors are great and are always willing to take an extra step for students.

Angela

CSU Stanislaus, or "Stan State" as everyone calls it, is a very safe choice for school. It is fairly easy to get accepted. Most people are friendly if you take the time to talk to them, and the campus always feels safe. Never have I felt endangered. The academics are average, and it is hugely a commuter school. The food on campus is average, but there are many good places around the area to eat. Although Turlock is not a great area for recreational activities, if you're willing to travel, San Francisco and Pinecrest are very reachable.

Prabhdeep

Overall, CSU Stanislaus is a very diverse and friendly campus. There are all types of groups and clubs to join and most of them help out with the student’s major. For example there are pre-health societies for the students who want to focus on the medical side of college. Other than the opportunities that this campus provides, the professors are quite helpful as well. If you email a professor you are guaranteed to get a reply by the next day if not the same day. Some teachers will even meet with you outside of their office hours if you really need help studying for a test or if you have questions on the material being taught. The professors have helped me a lot this semester with my questions, whether it be in Biology or in English. I live in housing and they have good protection in the dorms. They do monthly dorm checks in order to make sure that the housing community is clean and safe of any drugs or harmful objects. The only concern I have for CSU Stanislaus is that their chemistry department is very small. Because there are not many chemistry courses or professors available, the classes fill up quickly and some students are left with no chemistry in their enrollment baskets. I hope that in the future Stanislaus expands their chemistry course and opens more general chemistry 1 and 2 so that students do not have to postpone their required classes to the next semesters. Other than that concern I think that my experience so far in Stanislaus has been great. It is a great CSU that is devoted to helping their students succeed.

Maria

Very great school, has an amazing campus. Teachers are very helpful when you are in need. I really enjoy being a student here. Many opportunities are offered at Stan. Stan also offer many clubs to join. People are very kind and friendly. I highly recommend this school.

Xiana

CSU Stanislaus is a very comfortable and inviting college. I always feel welcome and know that I can find help when I need it. I love the facilities, mainly the library. The library has a wide selection of books both recreational and educational. All in all it is an amazing place to be with a beautiful educational environment.

Seth

I have been with Stan St. for two degrees and various teaching credentials I am back for my doctorate degree. It is a local CSU with the small-town feeling. It is a beautiful campus with many ways to stay active and a lot of events to participate in. The professors are extremely invested in students and the library is a great place to study and work with others.

Erin

Stanislaus is a in the valley it is hot but beautiful. There are many people of all ethnicities and the moutons and ocean are not horribly far away.

Alejandra

I have never felt more welcomed at any other college than I do here. Everyone is more than willing to help you reach your educational goals or even to the nearest pizza place. The campus as a whole is just very nice and peaceful, I am so glad I decided to attend this university although I was hesitant at first.

Vanessa

My overall opinion about CSUStan is that the campus is beautiful. The campus has High School size classrooms, which is good because students get to know their professors and professors get to know students. Also, it is a very peaceful campus full of green space and ponds. It is a very safe campus and the campus is not that big so there is no way someone gets lost. The staff is always willing to help and there is many support programs to help out students and the campus overall is really amazing. The University Police is always willing to help and they are always at the service of students and they make sure that students feel safe. There are restaurants out of campus at a walking distance. The campus is clean and has quiet places for students to go and study. The campus also has spirit, on Wednesdays students wear red and they get prizes. Students show their spirit. In campus, students can also find at a health center which is one of the benefits for students. They can go and make an appointment and then they will be helped out the next day.The campus is full of gesses and ducks which make the campus be alive and aesthetic pleasing.

Melissa

I think it is such a great college to attend to because there are resources available to you at any facility. There is also lots of fun activities to do and since right now I am currently living on campus, there is weekend trips that people attend and have a good time. I am also involve in a fraternity and I have to say I learn a lot of leadership skills, felt belonged and have a good time with people that will be with you for the rest of your college career.

Jada

Stan State is a really great school. Student to teacher ratio in most classes is 20 to 1 AND lecture halls largest numbers is barely 100. It is a small school but thats definitely a plus. Food on campus is dependable and better in some places than others. Hidden gems include hole in the wall restaurants and taco trucks. The school offers free bus travel for students which is really cool, convenient, and clean. The school is rated as the second safest Cal State and is a great place to gain independence.

Keyla

I absolutely love the small school feel. Everyone is so warm nd friendly and the faculty and staff are always available whenever they're needed. And there's never a feeling of being lost in the crowd because there isn't a crowd. It's just a great school and I am enjoying my time here.

Jacqueline

I enjoy my time at Stan State because I have found amazing friends, sisters, and connections. Advisors are readily available and answer any questions you may have whether it be regarding classes, recommendations, or graduation. The library is open at an early hour and open until a late hour which helps us students have accessible hours to study between, before, or after classes.

Madison

Stanaislaus is a very boring school. I feel as if students go to class and go home. They attempt to have "warrior wednesday" but no one usually goes out. Class size is cool here and there but even in class no one really participates so professors usually get upset about it.

Adam

CSU Stanislaus is a university I would recommend to any student. The community isn't too big or small, the class sizes aren't too big which makes it easier to reach the teachers and have a personal relationship with them so you can get help from them. There are a lot of things to do on and off campus such as fraternities, intramurals, student jobs and internships, clubs, sports, and so much more. I can't wait to set foot on campus and have the sense of achievement after months of hard work.

Carolina

CSU Stan is an excellent school to go to. The University is not that big, but it brings students together. This specific University is one of the cheapest to go to study. I am loving the professors and the class size. Coming from a small high school and going to CSU stan made the transition seem easy. Overall I love this University and look forward to the next three years to come.

Dulce

California State University-Stanislaus, is a great school that have over 40 majors to choose from! I am glad to say that I'll be committing myself to this school soon for the class of 2022. I strive for the health carrier in which is why I am majoring in Nursing.

Brittaney

Stanislaus is a good school for saving money. Located in the middle of a suburban neighborhood, it is relatively safe and uneventful. However lately, there has been several violent attacks on campus and in the dorms. Also, there is controversy over a national white pride organization that has formed on campus in 2016. Stanislaus is 50% Latino, 25% White; 66% Female and 34% Male. There is an LGBTQA+ organization that has made efforts to create trans friendly bathrooms on campus and an annual gay prom. I feel there is much room for social improvement, but for a school this small, it is doing well. Academics are great and the class size is small, 20:1 student teacher ratio.

Ly King

I enjoyed my time and would recommend the school to others looking for a good university life at a fraction of the cost of others. This school offers good majors in liberal arts, criminology, and other programs that you would find at UC or other CSU campuses.

Brittaney

I love college in general, but I think that has to do with how much I enjoy Stanislaus. It's a beautiful open campus with grass and trees. It's fairly safe, in fact, the most dangerous thing on campus are the geese. I'm in the honor's program, so the honor's classes have a smaller amount of students compared to the regular classes so it's a more intimate setting where it's more discussion oriented and easier to talk to the professor in class. If you're unable right after class, their office hours are always open and the professors I've had have consistent office hours and will help you out to the best of their as well as your abilities. The students at Stanislaus have so far been helpful and friendly to me. I commute and Stanislaus is a real good school for commuters, though where I live, it almost takes an hour, but it's not too bad. Overall, I love Stanislaus, the courses, the professors, and the students. Although, it's best to keep in mind that this school is best for getting your GE and bachelor's degree and becoming a teacher or nurse, otherwise, the school is a little lacking. It's best used for obtaining a BS or BA, then moving onto a different school if you want to further your education.

Monica

Stanislaus is a great school. I have never had a problem trying to get a hold of professor or locating outside resources. There isn't take much of involvement when it comes to clubs because it is a small school and it's a commuter school as compared to other universities that are commenter schools they have high support of clubs and sororities and fraternities.

Daisy

I think CSU Stan is a great school but I only wished it had more school spirit. Students on campus keep to themselves but at the same time are friendly. The Class sizes here are very small which is great for because you are able to interact and know your professor better. The school is not impacted so it is very easy to enroll to classes you need.

Lizet

Stan State is a great school! They make everyone feel welcome. The staff is amazing they always interact with students. Housing is incredible, they have all utilities you need, laundry is also free and if that isn't good enough then I don't know what is.

Sandra

I just wish it would have clinical psychology and more psychology scholarships and intern opportunities.

Christian

This is overall a really good college. It is as involved as you make it. The professors are all very accessible and the classes are usually small. I have yet to meet an unhelpful person or staff member. There is definitely a welcoming feeling that every student has here.

Olivia

I feel it is a great school just like any other. It's where you go to get your education and can't be seen as any more or any less. Although it isn't as popular and doesn't seem like an exciting school it's really the people and the teachers who make school what it is. Stanislaus is a very underrated university and I am proud to be a part of it.

I transferred to California State University-Stanislaus (CSUSTAN) in Fall 2016 (Currently Jr. Status). Before I was attending a community college close to home. Rather than moving farther away I decided to commute to Stanislaus--an hour trip. The reason I decided to attend CSUSTAN was because I'm very close to home, in other words I tend to get very homesick a lot. I knew that if I moved miles away from home, I wouldn't be very happy. So I looked into nearby schools, my choices consisted of San Jose State, Sacramento State, and Stanislaus State. I was accepted to all of these choices but when I went to take a tour of each campus, I must admit that CSUSTAN felt more like home. The campus here is big but not to over the top, it feels homey to the core as if I have never left my actual home. The classrooms sizes are perfect, allowing more one on one sessions with the professor and more comfort in talking with your classroom peers. The activities going around campus are delightful and energetic; something that everyone should look into when coming here. Students and faculty are very friendly, sure you may encounter a grouchy bunch but that's to be expected, overall the majority tend to be nice. One thing I have to admit that I didn't enjoy was the library hours, their not always open at the time you want. I'm a sucker for the library and a early bird, usually at other campuses the library is already open by 6 am. Here that is not the case, the doors open at 7:45--which is a big bummer but not a major overkill. I really do believe that California State University-Stanislaus is a great School to attend; especially if your looking for a more homey atmosphere.

Seth

It is a great school. It offers a very relaxing, leisurely atmosphere, but gives amazing academic opportunities. The campus is a beauty to behold, and offers a plentiful amount of scenes to do all of your studying, whether you want to in the confines of the amazing library, or by the ponds with the birds. It is in a convenient location, and perfect for not missing out on college life.

Keyla

Stan State is a small school with a family feel and that's what's amazing about it. If you don't want to feel like just another face in the crowd Stan State is the school for you. It's small size allows professors, staff, and students alike to gain familiarity and form connections unlike any other campus I've seen. I love it here and I can't wait to see what opportunities present themselves from my great education.

CSU Stanislaus is actually a pretty boring school. There is almost nothing to do on and around campus. Greek life is almost non-existent. There are a couple of clubs but they’re aren’t really active. It doesn’t feel like I’m attending a university at all. Stan State feels more like a really big junior college. The professors complain that they are not paid enough. They have really crappy and limited office hours, so you pretty much have to email them and wait to see them in class to ask a question, unless you just happen to be free during the one or two hours out of the entire week they’re in their office. The homework load is absolutely ridiculous. The school “prides itself” on being rigorous, but I believe that piling on loads and loads of “busy work” does not make a school rigorous. The homework load makes it very difficult for us students to really learn anything because we are constantly just doing bare minimum and turning things in as fast as possible to get to the next assignment and not actually retaining much of anything. This is a poor method of learning and it’s unfortunate that our society doesn’t see the flaw in our higher educational system. I can barely remember anything I have learned at all in the previous two semesters, and my Stan State gpa is a 3.8, meaning that I receive very good grades in my classes but am not able to really learn anything because the professors are constantly shoving unrealistic amounts of work down all the students’ throats. And as far as the food program goes, the options are limited, and the kitchen is rarely open. The main kitchen closes at 2pm, and the grill is the only option to order food for the rest of the evening, meaning you have to wait in line for up to 30 minutes sometimes just to place an order, and then wait up to another 30 minutes to receive your food. The food choices at the grill are very limited so my advice is to try to take classes that will allow you to make it to the main dining kitchen before 2pm in order to have better options or else you’re out of luck. Oh, and don’t get me started on the weak sports program we have here. There isn’t even a football team in existence at all.

Valerie

CSU Stanislaus is a great school that caters to both commuter and on campus students. There are plenty of resources and the staff and teachers are always willing to help especially the people who are part of your major's department. This is also a very affordable college especially considering what a great 4-year school this is.

Perla

College can be the scariest thing you've encountered. There's new people everywhere, nobody you recognize, you are out of your element and you're expected to come out successful? That doesn't seem to be a problem at CSU Stanislaus. Everybody is so incredibly friendly and welcoming. When you're lost, they'll show you the correct path with patience.

Eli

The school is very chill, and it is a very easy going school. If you are looking for a school that is all about just going to class and getting stuff done then this one works. There are some activities to do, but you have to look for them. There are people from all walks of life and you can always make friends.

Maria

This university is great for locals or for first generation college students. The university is located in Turlock CA making off campus housing really affordable. However, I would say academically it lacks and needs more majors, options, and counseling. We are not allowed to have parties, sororities etc I would say you get what you pay for.

Beatriz

Overall Stanislaus state is a pretty calm and small school located in Stanislaus county, Turlock California. Most students commute an hour or more to Stanislaus state. No partying or crazy drama revolves around the campus. Teachers welcome and acknowledge many students commute for further education. Stanislaus state is also probably one of the most visited schools because of its beautiful insights of water falls, ponds, and ducks around the campus. Lastly, Stanislaus state is one of the most safest schools in California and overall great college if the focus is only a degree and not partying.

Madeline

As someone who grew up in Turlock, CA, I'd have to say that the California State University - Stanislaus is probably one of the most exciting things about this town. If you enjoy geese, more geese, geese chasing you, geese pooping everywhere, the occasional duck crossing, and Dutch Bros coffee, then this isn't too bad of a college for a central valley native. That being said, if you're looking for parties and fast-paced city life, this probably isn't your top choice college-wise. However if you enjoy relatively slow, uneventful, somewhat-small town charm, Stan State as it is affectionately known around town has its perks. The academic side of things is pretty great, as nursing and business are actually quite well known for their programs. Overall, the school isn't bad if you want to stay local and in your budget as a Turlockian, but it definitely isn't your destination Californian college.

jasreen

I truly love the campus, the first picture you see is a beautiful waterfall. The campus is something that would motivate me. The clubs and organizations seem very open, it would be difficult for me to find new friends. The campus overall seems very clean and organized.

Kylie

I love this college. Even though it was not really a choice to go here, I still enjoy going here very much. The majority of professors and staff here at CSU-Stanislaus are very helpful when you have questions are things in class, or financial aid concerns, or things of that nature. The campus is lovely and I am so glad to have had the opportunity to attend this university.

Anelis

My overall opinion of CSU Stanislaus is that it is a great college to attend. There are many academical support, such as student success programs, tutoring, EOP, and the writing and development center. CSU Stanislaus also provides many extra curricular activities whether it is socially or based on your major. Overall, it is a school with a great environment.