California University of Pennsylvania Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California University of Pennsylvania

Brandon

Personally, I wasn't as wel- prepared for college as I probably should have been when I got to CalU, but the environment there and the people around me, especially the professors, have helped me to get better at making sure I know how to do everything I need to in order to achieve my goals of getting a college degree. I'm very happy with the college and I have learned a lot in my major since coming there in 2015, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone else who is considering it as one of their options when looking for a college to go to.

Naomie

I believe that academically it's a really nice school. However the neighborhood is really boring, there are not a lot of events on campus and the students have no school spirit. If there were more on campus events and activities, the school could definitely be a lot more fun.

Sheila

I love going to Cal! It is located in a small town, removed from major distractions, however there is a shopping center not too far away that can be gone to via car or by using the provided FREE bus services. There are a decent amount of things to do, the gym is pretty good, and with us being located in a small town there are a lot of clubs to part take in! If you have an interest, there is probably a club for it! Even the shiest people (like myself) can find a place where they fit in and feel comfortable. The people here over all are great, and the professors (for the most part) are compassionate and passionate about what they teach.

Courtney

I started here in 2018. I love having my own room and bathroom. My only complaint is the girl next to me always played her music too loud. Like, the bass was thumping and shaking my room. I was also on the end hallway next to the double doors. Kids would constantly go in and out and slam the double door. But I could usually drown in out with my TV. Maintenance was fine but we cannot write tickets, we have to contact a CA. I wish we could contact them directly instead of depending on another person. My class sizes are small to medium. I think the dining hall food is OK. One time I ate something that didn't agree with me and I had horrible diarrhea for two hours straight. I was crying I was so upset and sick. Another time I spat out curdles that were in the bottom of my coffee. Turns out, they fed me week old, expired soy milk. Luckily, I did not get sick. I do like how they have different dining options on campus (coffee shop, Mexican, salads, burgers, various dining). There's a lot of weed at cal. The only reason I know this is I work in the dining hall and kids come thru my line and smell of it. And I walk around campus when I am bored or walking to class and can smell it too. One time we had an ambulance at cal because someone drank too much. Dr. Hummel is my absolute favorite professor. He is so nice and funny! The professors here are very knowledgeable. My professors are: cops, former cops, former probation officers, etc. Crawford's history class was very hard. Spencer is funny! I like Hsieh and Roberts too. They're nice. Piccarelli was eh. He has his moments. Buffington is good. McClintock is OK. Her class was hard. What I like is there is a Rite-Aid and a dollar general in walking distance. You can take the bus for free (mon valley transit) as long as you have your student ID. There's also a dairy queen, pizza, and kwik fill in walking distance.

Michaela

My overall opinion of California University of Pennsylvania is that is a very good school overall. The academics are great, there are police officers easily available and you see them every single day which makes me feel very safe, I have never had a problem that wasn't resolved, and overall the college is priced very well for everything that they offer. I love Cal U and I plan to graduate with a degree from this college!

Kate

I love my university and feel that it is definitely the place for me. The food is pretty terrible, but other than that I have no complaints! Professors are helpful and have regular office hours, plus class sizes are small so it is much easier to get to know them and ask for help.

Kyle

Cal U is an alright college if you want a cheaper education in an area with some nice people and an education on the cheaper side of the spectrum. The parking lot you will most likely get is lot four a.k.a. the river lot and its right between the railroad tracks and the river so hope that the train isn't passing by or you may be late for class.

Cameron

It's a good school for the price. Our academics and athletics are Division I caliber. I am glad I chose Cal U. I am fortunate that I am close to family although I am 3 plus hours from home. It's good to be close to a major city like Pittsburgh. I wish more kids from Baltimore and DC would consider Cal U. It's worth the ride.

keaira

My overall opinion of the California University of Pennsylvania is this is such a fantastic school. I am very proud to be apart of this family and I'm looking forward to the college lifestyle. From what I've seen this school can bring many positives vibes. The activities seem very nice and the people are all so great there. The staff is so very much helpful. The dorms are so pretty and nice and clean. I also love the diversity they have people are so amazing. The campus is so clean and very relaxing because it's so quiet out there and very cold. This school seems very exciting and I can't wait to start.

Caitlyn

This college is a beautiful campus. It's small, quiet, and the neighboring houses give it a home like feel. There are enough convenient stores and eateries around to get what you need and have a little bit of fun. Thankfully there's not enough to wreak havoc and distract you from your school work. Although the science facilities are pretty out dated the professors are phenomenal! They make sure they are available to you whenever you need them.

Alexander

I have a very positive view of California university of Pennsylvania. My visit there convinced me that this school was the best place to go to further my education. The regular activities of students are apparent everywhere. Whether they are working out at the campus gym or designing robots for drone racing. Everyone there seem to have a passion that burns brightly within them.

Tamera

Every student is like a family member. We all help each other out in time of need and always look out for each other. Everyone is very welcoming, especially the staff. The professors are always encouraging and actually want to help you understand the information that they are teaching. All of the clubs are very welcoming and accepting of anyone.

Destiny

California University of Pennsylvania is a great school to excel in your education. The campus provides tutors to help you with any classes you are having trouble with. The faculty staff also care about your well-beings which is why they have counselors on campus as well. Academically, the courses we take are well taught by experts that have experience in what they are teaching about.

Julia

I absolutely love the campus. The professors are always around and available if you need anything. Other students can always be counted on for assistance, and are eager to help. The activities that are made available to us are educational, but at the same time, fun and allow us to make friends who have similar interests or majors. The housing arrangements are always clean and inviting, and this makes them feel more like home, which is always a good thing. The food is amazing as well. Overall, California University of Pennsylvania was the best choice I could've made to further my education.

Nicholas

This university is the perfect fit for me. The campus is very attractive to the students and others vising campus and we are kept very safe as well. University off-campus housing is perfect for students that do not seek to live in dorms. I overall very well enjoy studying at Cal-U.

Loribeth

I have only been here for my first semester and I love it here. I getting to know a lot of people, professors are very helpful, great atmosphere, and learning what I love to do! I love the different classes they have to offer. I like the different clubs and activities that are offer to students.

Zachary

There are many gangs walking around campus and surrounding areas. Very little student activities, A dead zone on the weekends. Dorms smell like pot, students are rude and lazy. The food is terrible, the professors are never in their offices when needed they are also slow on replying to emails. The bathrooms are always dirty and the books and class material are outdated. There is no parking anywhere and if someone does park on the street be ready to pay hefty fines. Hourly parking is expensive and the parking garage is useless. The convocation center isn't used for anything and is a huge waste of money. Overall this school is terrible, if there was a way for me to transfer i would.

Krystal

When I first set foot on campus when I was sixteen, I knew Cal U was my niche. The campus is beautiful with colorful landscaping, unique old buildings, and interesting art all over. I entered college as an athlete and was on scholarship for three years. I enjoyed every second, Cal U caters to both athletic and non-athletic students. If sports isn't what you're interested in then no worries. The art cultural is very lively as well. The University is perfect for anyone who loves the small town feel but needs the close proximity to a big city. Pittsburgh is only a short drive away which can change up the routine with the night life and cultural. Cal who? Cal U!

Andrew

Overall, I love this school. In my first few weeks here I was able to find a great group of friends who share the same ideas as me to grow and to learn and to take every opportunity when presented the chance. Most of the professors are very knowledgeable in their respective subjects. The rooms are amazingly large so there is plenty of room for two people.

Keyonna

It’s amazing. Everyone is so nice and helpful. Staff is always there when you need them and these always a student who can help you figure it ou

Christopher

It is worth noting that all students who attend and the staff who work at California University of Pennsylvania address their college with the abbreviation ‘Cal U’. The overall architectural design of the campus focuses on the use of brick and mortar, which gives is a very appealing look during every season of the year. The brick structures show even more grandeur with the presence of the shrubbery and small plains of grass carefully placed and maintained around campus grounds. Despite the town of California, PA not having any recreational locations, Cal U itself holds many activities, such as a movie theater, several sport courts, and a number of game rooms. Cal U values its reputation in academics, but it also recognizes the importance of its students having an active social life during their stay each semester. Natalie Hall contains a food court made of small campus owned restaurants and a cafeteria that is split between two of its three floors. The food offered at the food court is certainly better than the cafeteria food, which relies on a menu cycle that restarts each month and half of the time, the food is reused at least three times in that time span. The limited food options in the cafeteria, can get very stale after about two months, eating roughly the same food choices every week. In each of the campus’ living suites however, they are fitted with all the basic furniture a student could ever need: a bed, a desk, a chair, and two drawers. The campus even provides a personality survey for selecting the type of roommate you wish to share a room with to all of its students each year. The best thing about Cal U is its curriculum, just note some of the professor’s approach to teaching the material to their students. When the professors know what they’re doing, they can really make their point on what their teaching and it sticks with the students better. Cal U has a good balance of liberal and non-liberal arts programs available to its students, although some its liberal arts programs, such as engineering and robotics at the current time have an issue of covering too much material, without really explaining the necessary details. I understand reaching the recommendation mark set by the education board is important, but not by the cost of the background knowledge its students are sorely lacking in. Overall, there are areas that could stand some improvement, but Cal U is honestly the best college I could go to and I do not regret my decision in going there.

Rebecca

CalU is a great experience and provides a wonderful educational experience. The Educational facilities are fantastic and well equipped. The rooms are fantastic, they are very large and each room has a bathroom. The off-campus housing is also very nice. The other locations such as the Gold Rush Dining facility can be good sometimes but not so great other times.

Cearra

California University is a great college. It provides the feel of a larger school while maintaining its small school charm. Coming from a smaller town myself I find that I am very comfortable here and seldom feel overwhelmed. The staff cares about the students and wants to see each and everyone succeed. They are always available to help and are very happy to do so. All of my current and future needs are met and I am very pleased with my university.

brianna

I love Calu, coming here allowed me to grow as an individual. I love the courses that are provided here a huge variety and the professor really care about the progression of the students success. Also I love how many clubs are offered here its wonderful! I am currently in AST and it changed me into a very productive individual volunteering and academically.

I think its a pretty good school. The on campus housing is good but i dont know about the off campus housing but the majority of people that live there seem to like ut better than on canpus housing. There isnt much to do outside of the classroom. I think the college would benefit from more activities for the students to do. But the campus feels safe and other than being boring, its pretty good.

California University of PA is a great school. The program I am in is set up perfectly for my day to day life and fits into my schedule seamlessly. The professors in my program are amazing, they are extremely knowledgeable and passionate in the subject. They are always willing t help and keep me on track towards my goals. Overall its just an amazing school and program.

The campus is beautiful, not too big but that just means there's less walking to be done. The staff and students are friendly and the professors do their job and have fun with it at the same time. The best part is definitely being able to hang out with your peers. If you're anything like me, you should know that college is a completely fresh start. Clubs are easy to join, and everyone is friendly and civil and easy to talk to.

Sheila

Overall, I love Cal U. The profs are generally fantastic, there are enough clubs and extracurricular activities to keep anyone busy and there are plenty of resources available for any type of help you may need. The food used to be good, however, the quality has gone downhill.

Jacquelyn

I love cal u, very friendly staff, not to huge of a campus. The staff there when I visted and toured the campus were very friendly, talked me through everything. The campus is a really good size and the class sizes aren’t that big so you can still have like a 20:1 student teacher ratio.

Mecca

It’s a great school to further your education. The campus is beautiful and students are always ready to learn. The only down falls are there are not many extracurricular activities, and places to enjoy yourself when you’re not doing homework or studying.

Alexis

I honestly love it here, it’s amazing and all the resources are even more helpful. I’m a first generation college student and everyone helps so much, everyone is so nice and the professors are even more amazing. The food is fantastic, and our professors are probably the most capable people. They are always available and always happy to help.

Stephen

California University is a great college for the area. It's in a small town so you don't have to worry about city driving or getting lost. All the professors go above and beyond to help students make the most out of their college education. My biggest complaint has to be the student parking lot. You have to drive over railroad tracks to park there and if a train is coming through town; then traffic does back up badly and could potentially make you late to class. Not to mention there are no security cameras down at the parking lot, so you better hope nobody hits your car and runs.

Julia

The campus and people are great! Everyone makes you feel welcome no matter who you are or where you came from. There is a lot of involvement from all students and many different clubs that have something for everyone! Professors are all easily reachable and willing to help!

California University has helped me tremendously so far and I’m very appreciative of the support. Staff is great and fun to be around. Plenty of clubs and organizations. The VP Garcia is great. The president she is amazing and fun to talk to. She loves to get to know her students. Overall the campus it great.

At Calu, it’s the perfect small-town campus. The dorms are top notch, with each room having its own private bathroom which is a huge plus. Even though there’s nothing to do around the area, The extracurricular activities on campus pretty much make up for it.

Isabella

I believe that California University Of Pennsylvania is a great institution with great opportunities. The classes are challenging, but not too much to handle with the right amount of motivation. The campus and housing is beautiful, and the food is above average.

Julie

As someone who values my education I would not recommend this University to anyone. The faculty are not willing to go out of their way to help students. Honestly I don't know how half of the faculty managed to get a job at a University, most just read word for word off powerpoints without adding any original content. The chemistry department is a JOKE. DO NOT take chem here, take it at a community college instead if you want any chance of succeeding. The parking garage was closed for half of the 3 years I spent there, with no effort to fix it. The food will make you horribly sick, it took me most of the semester to adjust to the food, then by the time I did it was time to go home for break and the cycle began again during the next semester. Just don't.

Micah

The only real problem anyone I know, including myself, has eith the school is the food. The meals available with just a meal plan are not very good, and there is not much variety. If the school had better food or more options then it would be an absolute dream to attend.

Christopher

California University of PA or Cal U for short is not perfect, but no college is. The board of education decides what the amount of information for a particular class should be covered in a semester, but it is the professor that chooses how to present this information to their class and some of the teachers at Cal U, most notably in the engineering department are a pit lack-luster. However, this does not take aware from the fact that the students had indeed learned something from their respective classes. It has a thriving and friendly social community, making its students argue less and find a way to compromise. Despite that fact the cafeteria has a different range of food selections out of the month, one cannot help but notice how repetitive the menu can seem at times, but this can be over looked by how good the food takes. Finally the on-campus housing options are excellent, each room provides all of necessary essentials, so the students do not have to pack basic furniture such as a bed, drawers or a desk.