Canisius College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Canisius College

Alisha

Canisius College seemed like the perfect place to go at first, however upon further inspection I have discovered that it is not at all. The Bad: The food is horrible. There's not enough options, and there's almost no way to eat healthy because everything is covered in butter or oil. The organized activities are always very similar and not all that great to begin with. The college prides themselves on their tunnels that allow you to walk to class and not freeze in the winter, but they don't mention that half of the students have to go outside anyways because their classes are not in buildings connected to the tunnels. They also try to claim that although it's a jesuit institution you are not forced to participate with that in any way. Although this is partially true, it should be mentioned that religion is a required course and the chapel bells going off every single hour are enough to drive someone crazy. The athletes are treated better than anyone else here, and it's very noticeable. You are forced to do community service and it is hard to set up times to do it. Finally, the residence life workers are not that helpful. I had several major issues and it took forever for them to be fixed because there were too many hoops to jump through. The Good: The majority of the professors are great teachers and always willing to help outside of class. The campus is a good size for people looking for a close-knit community (you will know almost everyone you pass by in the hallways). There is always someone to help you with your schedule if you need it. The dorms are ugly, but they are kept very clean (the bathrooms especially). There's a Tim Horton's on campus which is great. They are also very good with networking here. It is not uncommon for someone to have a job offer right after graduating from here (depending on your major). Overall, if you are picking a college solely off of academics, Canisius is probably a decent choice. However, if you are looking for something more I would definitely look elsewhere.

Tommi-lynne

Its a life changer, in high school I felt like an outcast. Here, at Canisius, that has been obliterated. Both the students and staff are so welcoming, a conversation can appear with every person. The class sizes are 45 at most, which allows for a great student-professor relationship. By the second lecture, the Professors already knew my name. You're not a number to them. The staff are all ready to help, even if they are from a different department. I'm a commuter, which I've been told can damage the potential of social interactions, but not at Canisius. The food is also top-notch.

I love the people and faculty at Canisius College. I think it is a great place to go to college.

This is a pretty great school and is a good size. Consisering it's small, they have a lot of clubs and food options. The dining hall is actually pretty great. The sciences are rigorous but very interesting. The library is cool and has a coffee place in it.

Kitti

It is one of the best colleges I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. The teachers are very open to student ideas and the students are all very accepting. I fell welcome all the time, and the Jesuit principles mean that no one is left behind academically.

Natoscha

It is a brisk winter morning and you leave your apartment eager to get to class. You are greeted by fellow students, faculty, and the Jesuits as you cross paths in the common areas. Canisius is like home; where you always feel safe and welcomed.

Tom

Canisius is a great college. It is homely in the city of Buffalo. It has small classroom sizes that are perfect for student-professor relations. We are fairly liberal, but what college campus is not? I am an accounting major and our accounting program is one of the best in the nation. I love it and recommend it to any accounting student.

Sweeney

If you are looking for a school completely dedicated to not just your academic successes but your overall success in general, Canisius is the place for you. We stress the concept known as "Cura Personalis" which is Latin for self-care. Cura Personalis is a characteristic of Jesuit education (we are a Catholic College) that focuses on the individual attention given to the development and welfare of each of the students in the schools. This includes your mental, physical, emotional and spiritual well being. This is reflected in our smaller class sizes; student to professor ratio is 11:1 as well as our Griff Center which provides any type of assistance you need whether it be academic or not. Though certain people may shy away from Religious / Jesuit education, Canisius is very non-discriminatory and although the religious presence is apparent, it is not overbearing or "in your face" so to speak. You should come check us out! It's great to be a Griff!

I am a freshman at Canisius and it seems to be a great school especially in the Western New York Area. If you apply yourself, you could do great things within the college, just like any other. The library is really nice and the Subway and Tim Hortons are convenient even though they're terribly slow. I recommend bringing your own food to save money. The only thing really bad is the location of the college because it's right in the middle of a really bad neighborhood, which most people wouldn't know if they're not from the Buffalo area. Don't walk alone at night because you might get mugged, or worse.

Karyn

I fit well into Canisius. I could imagine going to another college to get my undergrad degree. Always activates to partake in and new events around campus. I feel that parking could be better situated but i don't mind walking across campus. It is close to the cemetery which is a great place to visit during a break.

Trae

I enjoyed my time at Canisius academically and socially. There is a quite a few things to do on campus and definitely benefits being in buffalo. There are a lot of great professors which shouldn't be a shock as Canisius is usually ranked in multiple categories every year. Sporting events were also fun to attend.