Minneapolis, MN

Capella University

« See more reviews of Capella University

First: Since you know what you are going for psychology, research the psychology departments of at least your top 10 colleges and universities. Don’t be intimidated by whether they are public or private. Look at the psychology department for reputation, specialization and training opportunities. Look at the professors and the students and what they specialize in and what kind of careers they develop post-graduation. Second: Start applying for scholarships and grants in addition to any loans you may need. All of them. Any federal or other loans you may be awarded, take the minimum necessary. It will be far less stressful to work on the weekends than it will to see the hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt rack up. Also, start paying the interest while you are in school. Third: Be ready to fight for what you believe in. When you see online school and see that they some are accredited and reputable, follow your gut. Advocate for yourself and for your fellow online learners with real world naysayers. Show, don’t tell, what the benefits of individualized online blended models of education has to offer. Don’t let anyone stop you reaching your dreams.

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a senior preparing to make the transition into college life, the most useful advice I could give would be to focus on my strengths & interests to choose a course of study or career path. I would recommend that I be open to growth & new experiences that may cause me to re-examine my choices or take an unexpected pathway in the journey. My adademic & professional choices were onced centered around what would bring the most financial success. I now understand that success is most clearly defined by being personally satisfied with the path taken - not whether or not there's a pot of gold at the end of the road. The social, academic & economic pressures of transitioning into college life can be great; when you see college life as a road in the journey & not the means to an end, you will be more likely to enjoy the ride. Use the time to define your goals based on the discovery of what you do best, enjoy the most, & where you can make the greatest contribution. This discovery just might point you toward unchartered territory & change your definition of success.

As a teenager looking to college I was naive and didn't understand the responsibilities of college and adulthood. My focus in high school was to maintain a 4.0 GPA, take Advanced Placement courses to afford me the opportunity to obtain scholarships and grants. I was awarded scholarships to the University of California at San Diego. Shortly after beginning my first semester I was forced to drop out of college due to personal reasons. Through the years I dreamed of going back to college and obtaining my degree but I was apprehensive. If I could rewind, I wouldn't change what transpired as this trying time taught me patience and perseverance. I realized that though I was unable to follow my desired path initially, that even as an adult I am able to balance work-life-school. I remember fearing that I couldn't manage the responsibilities of a wife-mother-student but I can attest that it is possible. Advice to myself would have been to set my goals high, have the foresight to accept that my plans may change and to be reassured that the future is limitless and not to let setbacks sway my goals.

Looking back at the choices I?ve made since high school (not to mention the unexpected paths my life has taken), I would offer myself several pieces of advice if could go back in time to my senior year of high school. First, I would caution myself to carefully consider my college major before officially committing to one. As an option, taking core curriculum courses for the first year of college would allow me more time to make to the decision. It doesn?t seem to be an important decision at such a young age, but it is ? going back to school as a full-time employee, wife, and mother is not an easy path to take. Second, I would share information about scholarships and grants. There are many that are not commonly known and these offer an excellent opportunity to ease the cost of college. Lastly, I would impart the knowledge that higher level learning is an invaluable experience; you may not apply everything you learn ?in the real world?, but you will find a place for most of the information. And, more importantly, the experience prepares you to transition from school life to work life.

My name is Tracey A. Taylor and I am applying for the Cappex Scholarship. Presently, I am a senior working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration . Despite being a full time student, maintaining a 3.538 GPA, I also take the initiative to enhance my education outside the classroom. I constantly strive for excellence and am committed to making my time as an undergraduate as productive and beneficial as possible. Attending college later on in life has given me a sence of liberation allowed me to not only explore a wider array of subjects, including women, social and human studies, but also explore myself. After taking time out to raise two children with my partner I now am focusing all of my attention on my educational goals. Behind my achievements is a strong desire to learn. I hope to complete my Bachelor’s degree this year and attend graduate school so I can one day return the favor many professors bestowed on me and teach at a college level. Education has taught me to evaluate life and my experience. My best advise for my high school self "STAY IN SCHOOL"Tracey A. Taylor

Staring at the reality of high school ending and the real world of responsibility and defining who you will become can be overwhelming. Parents expect you to flip a switch and be a mature adult and teachers expect you to know exactly where and what career you plan to spend the rest of your working adult life. All you hear is how important it is for you to go to college and get a good job. First you have spent all your life confined to parents and teachers rules, now you facing college. Look at college as a way to grow your strengths and passions. Most students run to the freedom of college and struggle since parents and teachers are not micromanaging their time and work. They are taking classes they are expected to take. Start college with a balance. Find a part-time job you love. Realize that college does not need to be completed in four years, but needs to be completed passionately. Use your first year of college to take basics, but use the first year of college to explore opportunities for careers that you see yourself loving. Passion creates the desire to be a scholar.

When I was a high school senior, I had a very promising career plan ahead of me. I had good grades and I was accepted to a very fine college, Union University. But while attending Union, I was seduced by the many extracurricular activities the school had to offer. I dropped out of school because of academic delinquency. Later in life I joined the military and discovered what my problem was when I attended Union. I forgot to remember my purpose for going to school. In the military, I learned to be watchful of the distractions that can divert me from my goals. It takes discipline to study and then apply that knowledge with the aim of being successful. The war in Iraq was an excellent teacher of discipline during the heaviest of distractions. Facing an enemy determined to kill you was a palpable barrier to acheiving my goals. Such as the the many distractions that face many young students going to college for the first time. The advice I would give my myself as a young and bright eyed 18 year old is to remember why I am going to school. "Remembering your goals is the key to success".

I would give myself the advice of letting go and branching out to all the possibilities. College is the experience where you can dress a certain fashion, act distinctively, and talk an idealistic type of way and no one will judge you because we as collegiate students feel it is an expression of freedom. I would tell myself to not let stereotypical ideas hold me back on what was to come in college. As far as academia, I would tell my graduating senior self that grades are truly everything. I would let myself know that no matter how many parties, probates and events that happen those who study and miss out on a few things now gain more in the end later on. I would mention to myself as well that college is a gay time with the grades that would make your parents proud. Don't lose yourself trying to be a part of the crowd, but lose yourself in the evolution of transformation to the better you. You will learn and you will succeed but remember that friends are still important to your successfulness in college. Friends to help you study learn and have fun memories together with.

If you are a go getter and is axcious about jumping in the real world to work play or just hang out and provide for yourself or family , you should do that. If your a student that needs the class room setting to figure out what you wanna do or contribute to your community, then going straight to College after High School is for you. But unfortunately and unknowingly to any of us what can and is happensing presently in the economy and our economic future.. The advice I would give is ,if you can work and go to school or college online at the same time you should . I didn't have this convienient opportunity to take advantage of in 1985 this wasn't a t that time an option . The idea of this didn't flourish for some many 10 years or so later. Computers, cell phones, smart phones and online classes at your convienience from wherever you are is a great luxury that our forfathers didn't get to take part of . This is an opportunity that puts you on the cutting edge, give you global buisness knowledge , helps you and your family contribute to our economy.

Back in my sophomore year of high school, college seemed like a distant adventure. It did not seem like it would teach me more than I was already learning, would just receive a different diploma at the end. When I first started college, I was thrown into a whirlwind. No parents, no one checking up on me, looming deadlines, huge classrooms, mountians of textbooks, and freedom. Then came the slamming reality of the need for money. Money for rent, utilities, textbooks, school fees, parking fees, gas, and the list goes on. I let the weight of it pressure me into taking a break from school. Trying to start again has been hard. My income was cut by half right after I left school and I got pregnant. Now I have a beautiful baby girl. Going through the emotions of the impending birth, the responsibility of raising a human being, and dreaming about what I want our life to be like in 20/30/40 years. I knew I had to get back into school to achieve any of my dreams for us. Life and school have taught me to become a strong, intelligent women who achieves her dreams.