Minneapolis, MN

Capella University

« See more reviews of Capella University

Dear Susan, I am writing to you from the year 2012. No, the world has not ended. In fact, life is pretty good for us now. We love our career, we’re ecstatically married, we’ve seen the world, and we have an adorable 4-year-old ball-of-fluff Schnoodle. Now, before you go getting all excited, it was one heck of a rough ride. First, we had to survive freshman year of college. By the end of the first semester, we had gone from majoring in Fashion Design to Sociology and from going to school full time to taking time off from school all together to pursue some rather regrettable endeavors. We still managed to make mostly A’s though thanks to 24-hour junk food. (Don’t worry. You lose the weight…eventually). All that said, my advice: Stop wasting your time obsessing about how much better your life will be in the future. Start making it better now. Somehow, we simply forgot to slow down and live. Major in something you love doing and stick with it! Then maybe we’ll have a good life with good undergraduate memories to boot. Sincerely, Your Future Self

My learning experience with online college was different from my community college . I use attend community college as soon as I was finish with high school. Online college I attend June 2010 to start back college again. I learn that college is easy if you make it easy for yourself. I started community college in 2006 of September to further my education. When I begin college I was not attending as much and never put in my all, I thought that it would be easy. I learn that friends and that attend the same college as you or people you just met will keep you unfocused. When your in college you must meet the right friends to help you progress. I pick friends that will be relaxes about education. When I left I had no credit, because I was fooling around, I was I little scare to start online, but online college kept me focus and working at my own pace and stay away from all the distraction. I have three books to go to graduate. College is a experience that help me learn from all my mistakes; I excited to have my college Associated degree to graduate.

In high school, teachers and counselors told me how important it was that I find a college or university to attend and also a career path to follow. Back then, I did not understand the magnitude of what they were telling me. I thought that it would not affect me adversely if I skipped this step in life. After living life in the real world for a while, I have learned that I was wrong. Had I known then what I know now, I would have told myself to focus on getting my Associate's degree in general studies during that first two years since I did not know which career path to take yet. And while I was working on that, I would have told myself to get involved in other activities, clubs, groups, etc. to expand my areas of interest and awareness of what is out there. I may have discovered sooner that I want to be a teacher had I positioned myself in an atmosphere to find that out. I also would have tried desperately to convince myself that completing a college degree really and truly is a crucial step in a persons' maturity and personal growth.

During my time in college, I have found more of a drive within myself to keep moving forward and to have a career in the pharmaceutical business. I am confident that I will be able to provide great service and learn new material quickly. I love learning more about science and the medical profusion. I feel that I can help people by working in a pharmacy. I have some nervous damage in my hands that can cause them to shake when I’m nervous or some times when I just over use them. So I can not become a nurse for fear of stabbing some one with a needle. I can still help people be working in the medical field and I find natural cures to also be fascination. Maybe one day I will discover a medical drug to help people. I also seem to have a natural ability of organizing and motivating people toward achievement a goal. My goals objectivity allows me to develop procedures or regulations that take care of present and future situations. I know have a strong work ethic, and desire structure, schedule, and order because of my time in collage.

My advice would be said to myself like this: Maryann you are growing up in a time where girls were not pushed to go to College. However, let me help you to understand that with a College education, your choices will be endless of what career choices you can make for yourself and your future family. It is a proven fact Maryann that people who have a College education will get a better job, they will move up the ladder within a company faster, and the pay scale for a College graduate is so much more then with just a High School Education. Don't listen to what society is trying to drum into your head about girls not having to go to College. Prove them wrong, do this for yourself and for your future. Then you can look back, with pride to know that YOU have proved them wrong, and that NOW because of your excellent choice, you shall have a better quality of life and happiness for making the right decision. This is your life, this is your choice, do not let anyone take away your dream of bettering the quality of your own life!

Everything will work out. You will have fame, you will be “in” with that band you love, but not before you go through a little test of your strength. At 24, you will be diagnosed with MS. You are going to think that it’s the end of the world, but it’s not. You will through it, but it will effect how you do things like college. You are going to get diagnosed after you start college, and won’t be able to finish at a traditional school. Capella University will change your life, and allow you to not only get your bachelor’s degree, but also your doctorate in business management. You are going to own your own shop! Just remember not to overload yourself with classes. You know your tendency to try and do a million things at once. Try your best, and don’t be afraid to admit when you need help. Your advisors have experience dealing with disability. Also, don’t put things off until the last minute. If you get it done early, you will have plenty of time to make it perfect! Just remember, everything will be OK.

What advice would I give my high school senior self about college life and making the transition? Well, my high school self was pretty disillusioned where public school teachers were concerned. The single, most important thing I could tell him, then, would be that the instructors actually do care about what they're doing and are interested in you "getting it". He would get encouragement where he was accustomed to indifference, at best. Then, he would laugh and tell me pretty colorfully that I am full of it. After that -- and, this is assuming he doesn't think I'm some complete nut -- we'd probably get into a heavy discussion about my actions in the past. If he listens to my advice and decides to go back to school sooner, does my future self cease to exist? Or have I now created an alternate reality? Do I go back to an unchanged future-present, while past me may now have a brighter future? I'm currently working towards a degree in graphic design. Perhaps I should have considered philosophy... ?

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to stay focus on school. Once your not living with your mother any more and your paying things on your own it gets rough. Without a degree in this society you will have to settle for a low paying job with no room for growth in the company to better yourself. You might not be able to afford medical insurance or dental care to come out your check each pay period. If you have children how will you be able to pay for school for them so they don't end up like you in a low paying job. These jobs could careless about you and your personal life and without making enough pay how are you to save for tomrrow to cushion yourself in case anything goes wrong. It will be days you go to work hungry cause you cant afford lunch for yourself maybe you focused on your children eating over yourself. Sometimes you have to work hard to get where you need to be and right now going to class getting good grades is key to where your life is headed. Phill school is very important.

Like most others I could say the lack of student aid, and/ or my bad marriage was a major factor in my decision to drop out of college. But, the fact is that I dropped out because I was not academically prepared. I lacked self-discipline and was emotionally disengaged. I have a very good job and felt like college was not a necessity. Unfortunately, I soon realized that I had instilled this behavior in my son. College has not been important to him. He was under the impression that anyone could land a good paying job. When I started at BCBCSFL in the 1997 that was true, but not today. I am back in school not only to better myself, but to encourage my son and show him anything is possible; and that you are never to old to learn. When I re-entered school back in 2007 it was not easy. I did not always pass my exams and I even failed a class. But I got up, dusted myself off and told myself that tomorrow would be different and each day would be brighter. So, what I have gotten was the confidence to try.

If I could go back in time as a high school senior I would tell myself to recollect a time when I was a junior and my geometry teacher informed the class on a monday morning that we were having a quiz on friday. Much to our surprise we had the quiz on Thursday. At the time I had a part time job at one of the neighborhood McDonald's after school. So, I never took much time to study for the quiz. Though I was expecting the quiz to be on friday as our teacher had told us. I did however, read swiftly through the two chapters though not in it"s entirerty with an understanding of what I had read because our teacher had given lectures on the chapters, though not completely. Thursday came and our teacher had given the quiz. I only received a passing grade of C, which was due to the brief time I contributed to studying in the first place. By the time I became a senoir it was apparent to me that I should contribute much more time to my studies. I would tell myself now that I'm in college. Study! Study!