Minneapolis, MN

Capella University

« See more reviews of Capella University

Carly, I know you wont think it's me because you're too calculated for that. You also wont believe you're calculated either. You feel you're complicated and so is life. You feel that things are too vast and don't make much sense. How can they ever follow how they need to for you? How can they ever make the right kind of sense? How can you ever feel *right* about doing anything when it all feels the same or worse amount of wrong? Your problem isn't as scary or unsolvable as you think. You once had an uncle who studied quantum physics and in his banters with you there was a a sense of wonder. You knew who and what you were and still today you can. The stars might scare you but in their infinite nature is an absolute itself - nothing is certain. Your uncle found peace in that. Maybe for other reasons, but to me it seems he and others do it as a trust for science. This is something you share, and I know it, because I have found it. Chose science my dear, and peace and knowledge will follow.

I graduated high school in 1984 and attended Kingsborough Community College and received an AAS in broadcasting. I decided to go back to school in 2008 to further my career in healthcare. As you can see I did not go far in broadcasting, but when I moved to Florida I found my niche. The only thing I would say to myself is online courses are so much better, but I think I would look at myself strangely because when I went to college there was no internet. The road I took was perfect for me at that time. The things I learned and problems I had were all part of life. I believe that God set paths for me to choose and I chose the path that was best for me. I believe that everything happens for a reason and I would not change the path I took, the problems I overcame or the things I learned. Everything that I went through and that happened to me is part of who I am today. My parents prepared me the best they could but you know the saying you learn 10% in a classroom and 90% doing the job.

As I go back in time as a high school senior, the advice I would give myself would be prepared, stay focus, achieve good grades that will enable me to get into a top college. Do not take parents, educators, families or friends for granted. Be appreciative, help someone along the journey, do not be a follower, but be a leader. Maintain your dignity, respect, have character, it is who you are and who you become. Education is the key to freedom, knowledge, enpowerment, independence, it is the tool that allows balance in ones life, integrity, honesty, humility, and the opportunity to share what we learn. Having all these skills will prepare me for formal education. I will have the opportunity to accilmate into a diverse group of students that are multi-cultural, of different views, religion, ethnic background and personallity. My transition would be smoother, and I would be ready for the challenges of college life. Then I can attain the highest goals, the sky is the limit.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the most important advice that I could give myself knowing what I know now is to not be afraid to venture into the unknown. Part of the college experience is trying new things, meeting new people, and living a new life. I would make sure to tell myself to do the things I really want to do and don't stop just because the steps seem hard or because I'm scared to be on my own. I would definitely tell myself to move into a dorm and don't stay local just to be close to a certain boy, there's plenty more where he came from. Allowing insignificant things or people keep you from doing the things you want only haults your progress and potential. Lastly I would tell myself to be strong and work hard because it's easy to fall behind and find yourself moving nowhere. Teachers, faculty, friends and family are there to help you succeed not to see you fail, so turn to them for help when you need it because you aren't alone.

One of the biggest challenges for me not going to college after high school would have to be not having enough knowledge of the steps involved in actually going to college, as well as not knowing what I should choose as my major. I was just instructed to apply. I had many unanswered questions such as..Where would I go? and How do I pay? Today, I wish I could have told myself to not worry so much. There are colleges close to home that I could start with and apply to, and if I wanted in the future, I can transfer to a different college that fits me. Financial aid is a must to apply for and if I am not able to receive it, there are student loans that are out there for people to go to college, as well as scholarships. One last thing would have to be that it does not matter what your major is, just start with the basics of an AA degree and once you start, things will fall into place and who knows, maybe thats when you will know what you want to be when you grow up. Good Luck!

You don’t think you need to go to college and you have more important things to do, but I have a few secrets to let you in on. Brace yourself, because you’re about to take a blow to chest. I’m telling you about the road you're about to travel. This summer, you’ll do things that you're not proud of. You will know better, but you lack the self-esteem to pull yourself up from the ashes. Before you turn twenty, you’ll have a baby and by the time you're twenty-four, you’ll have three. It’s not as bad as it seems, those little ones are everything to you. This is why you decide to go to college. It is hard, I cannot lie. Attending school with an additional three mouths to feed is not the carefree life that you’ve envisioned, but to give them that life, you are going to do what it takes. Choose your path wisely. Finish your education seamlessly and choose the less bumpy path. But remember that those children will be your life and they wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for those bumps.

Having only been affiliated with Capella University for less than a week I will use my past experience as a student in Iowa. I was told by my High School guidance counselor that I was not college material and that I should stick to my ballet career. Well I took that as a challenge and attended a University in Iowa. This was one of the most rewarding experiences of learning! The professors had such a plethora of information that they made you want to learn more! It even spurred me on to attend Nuclear Medicine School! Every class has benefited me to this day, whether it be the study habits, communication skills, or the psychology of working with people from different cultures. The college experience has made me a student of research. I believe I have become addicted to change and look forward to each learning experience! I thank the University of Northern Iowa for the personal encouragement for me to go further in my studies and wishing me success in my future!

For the past two years at Iowa Lakes community college, i have learned how valuable it is to attend; my first year of college i didnt do so well, so when i came back my second year i decied that i would try my hardest on all my classes and i did. I am a Resident Assitant for the 2009-2010 year at iowa lakes. Attending here you get the best one-on-one work with the teachers and you really get the since of a "Small town community" i think its valuable beacuse you dont have the stress of a big city and wondering if your going to be safe or not. At Iowa Lakes there are many programs offered, there are four campuses that are within a half hour away to take classes. Out of being here my advantages is that i get the one on one work that I need with the instructors and i amd close to home. Attending here has helpped me grow tremendously as a person, i have learned how to be a self advocator and strive for the best. At ILCC your learn to grow as one and with your peers.

My college experience has become the central focus of my life, as I have been a full-time student for the past few months. It has been a difficult journey returning to school at my age, especially while working at a full-time career that is also competing for my time and energy. I have learned so much during my journey and I would not replace it for anything. I thought that an online University would be "walk in the park" but I found that to be incorrect. I currently attend Capella University as an Information Technology major and I find it much more difficult than traditonal schools. The major difference is the level of learning and the high-demand this school puts on each student. Although it can be frustrating, I am actually very pleased with my college experience, simply because I am paying straight out of my pocket and I feel that I am getting every penny's worth. I know that I am being educated and that it will payoff n the future.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to not waste the time available. I would recommend to start aplying to colleges and use my time wisely. Currently I am a single mom of a toddler and it is rough returning to college while trying to take care of my family. I would advise myself to go to college right after highschool, and not wait until my late twenties. I would also advise myself to remember those who I am close to. Sometimes as teenagers, we push those people away, but as an adult we realize time is short. I would make sure to remind myself to always stay positive, because even if life gets hard, you will always make it through. It is best to stay strong, no matter what you're going through, because one day you will have amazing little kids looking up to you to show them how they can be successful too. Most of all, I would stress to myself to stay in school and never give up.