Minneapolis, MN

Capella University

« See more reviews of Capella University

Hey, kid. Snap out of it! You've got a lot going for you, but you haven't worked out all of the answers yet. There are a few more hurdles to leap before you finish this scholastic race. Sure, you can make it work by doing it your way, but if you conform just a little bit longer, it gets much easier. After a short time of fundamentals, you'll be able to escape any form of pre-planned education and can start individualizing your experience. Then you'll start to get it, and you'll start to excel. College is an awesome experience, and you're going to miss out if you don't do it from the inside. Get in there, buy into the hoopla, and give it a (they call it this for a reason) "college try." You'll feel much better about it in thirty years. You'll be OK otherwise, but this is easier, trust me. Oh, and in the next year, this little company called Microsoft is going to go public...buy a couple of shares and hold on to them for a while...

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school self I would say get into college as soon as possible. If you wait years upon years, until you have a family of your own it will be doable but it won't be easy. Also, don't take college lightly, your have to be determined and driven to succeed. You also need to get the upper hand on your time management skills. Thesse skills are a must whether your going to a traditional university or one that is online. Another thing is to take your courses seriously. You also need to make sure that your major is something that you actually want. The one thing you don't want to do is start something that you get quarter of the way through on and decide that you really don't want a degree in that field. Also your degree choice shouldn't be just about the potential income you could make it should be one that will truly make you happy. You shouldn't want just a career, you should want a calling.

What advice I would give myself is to achieve this dream will be to time that I will invest in me. Have self –confidence is the deepest part in me. I have faith in mine strengths. Knowing I will be able to take risks, able to meet new challenges, able to stake claims and most important of all is to be able to deliver. I blessed with the confidence not only in my abilities but my judgment. I can guide and suggest. To me it’s like a solid strong part of me. It like the keel of a ship it withstands many different pressures and keeps me on my course. I love to learn, no matter the subjects that interest me. I will be drawn to the process of learning. I am energized by the steady and deliberate journey from ignorance to competence. The thrill of the first few facts, the early efforts to recite or practice what I have learned, the growing confidence of a skill mastered this is the process that entices me the most.

I love my college! I am a student at the University of Kentucky. So far, I have gotten a lot out of my experience there. I took some time off before becoming a student at twenty two, and my confidence in myself has been iraised exponentially. In fact, I used to hate math, and now want to double major in History, and Physics! It has been very valuable for me to attend school there because it has provided me with the confidence that I can succeed in college. I have gotten to see Jupiter, and it's four largest moons (and a dying star) which I never would have had the opportunity to see with my own eyes were I not in school. I have come out of my shell a little, I even have the courage to answer questions in class. I feel that I am getting a very good education there, and already feel like I have more to offer at my current job as a preschool teacher, even though that's not what I'm getting my degree in.

Resposibility, loyalty, respect and fast thinking. The college experience is something that cannot be forgotten. The mission statement of the university reflects on the value of the university. I am the first family member to go into a Master's degree program. Education is very important to me, I have grown up with a single parent , my mother who she taught me the value of life and way of thinking to move forward in life. It is valuable to attend school and continue your education because no other can take that knowledge away from you. Everyone makes decesion in life, everyday everyone makes decesion. Education should be a top priority. When you start makins decsions and adding other activities on top of education the priority of education falls and you add other activities as your priority. I have learned that education should be on top of the priority list and you should never let it fall down.

If I had known then what I know about college now I would make sure I apply for scholarships very diligently. I would also make sure I got over my procrastination habit and stopped slacking off. I never knew how much college costed and I didn't realize money didn't grow on trees apparently. Here I am, running around applying for scholarships and stressing financially because I was "too busy" in high school. I would insist on being more prepared and organized and I would be a better planner so that I was all set for college. I've learned now college is harder than I thought and by slacking off my senior year, I did nothing to help myself prepare. I would skip that trip to the mall every once in awhile to spend some time at home taking care of what's important to my future. Believe it or not I'm finding, those shoes I needed so much aren't here today, and I am still one step behind in college.

If I could go back in time and communicate with my high school senior self, I wouldn't. I've learned that life is unexpcted, and one should not reveal/tamper with ones own future as it could destroy key elements/characteristics of what defines the essence of life/character. Life will take you anywhere you want, you just have to have a desire. These desires may lead us down a dark path, but without this darkness, how could we define light? We as human beings have made mistakes in our past but these mistakes are crucial to defining our character and our resolve. I stand by my decisions as a responsible human being and keep my eyes focused on the stars just as my forefathers did before me. I'm far from perfect, and have realized that knowlege without application amounts to nothing for ones self, aswell as society as a whole. Thank you for taking the time to read this entry. M. Fischer

My life and career has taken many amazing and twisting turns since first graduating from high school. Now that I am returning to college to finish my pursuit of higher education, I look back on my high school years without many regrets (since I wouldn't be the person that I am today without the experiences I've gained). If I could travel back in time to speak to my previous self, I would be sure to tell him how easy it was to beat his social anxiety. All those years being fearful of speaking up, speaking out, as well as never being outgoing because of the fear of what others might think was not only a complete waste of time, but in the end, took little more than a month or two of forcing myself to do the opposite of what I once would in order to beat it. I'm happier for it, and it would have been a very valuable tool for those years after high school when it affected me the most.

The best advice I could give myself is to sieze every opportunity to learn. Every opportunnity that arises can be looked at as a chance to further your education. Waiting 25 years to begin pursuing your degree will be a struggle. Aquiring your degree while running a business and supporting three children is not an easy task. Working toward a degree is a challenge with excellent rewards and my life experiences have been the best resource I could possible have in excelling in my classwork. When you begin working toward that business degree, never forget to involve your children. Be a role model to them so they will see that hard work has its rewards and no matter how much work it takes to further your education, it is always worth the effort. They will see that if you can achieve your dream of a BS Degree while single handedly raising a family then they can do it too.

I would suggest to myself to stay calm and think through the process of what is happening. I was successful in high school, but college was overwhelming and caused a great deal of anxiety for me. As an adult now, I am much more in control of my thoughts my emotions and energy. I would like to have a chance to go back and finish college the first time around. At the age of 37 I feel as though I am just beginning and have lost significant ground to working meaningless jobs for little pay. Things would be very different for me now if I could have started a career earlier in life. I am not dissapointed with where I am now, but would like to be more financially secure and more situated in a long-term career. So, Would tell myself to think about the big picture and focus on the end result. After that, I would give myself a pep talk and give advice to remain calm.