Carlow University

« See more reviews of Carlow University

There's an old adage that states: "What you save, you have, and what you don't save, you don't have." As time passes, more and more women and men of all ages are attending college to prepare themselves for the competitive workforce. Yet, as time passes, colleges and universities, especially private schools, are becoming increasingly expensive. As one who has changed my major multiple times and have finally found my niche after years of transitioning, I would've spent the initial years after high school working in the real world, job shadowing, and doing extensive research on career options rather than spending money "trying out" different majors. In retrospect, I should have spent more time investigating various career paths prior to jumping into the expensive and time-consuming college arena. Once I had some experience in the real world, THEN I should have attempted to pursue a particular major or two when my search was narrowed. I do not scoff at the idea of "taking a few years off" of school after high school graduation. I believe it to be the preferable route to declaring "undecided" as a major. This scholarship would be a tremendous blessing for me.

College is not only about the grades and education, it is also about the life experiences that one has while moving through the transitions and choices that are made while living it. It is important , I believe, to step outside of your comfort zone, and not take the "easy way out" when it comes to college choice. Going away to school gives so many life experience opportunities that may not be available to you otherwise. Choose somewhere far from home, learn to make new friends and live in a new place. It really makes all the difference. Once you do choose your university, GET INVOLVED. Being involved in campus activities will help you make friends and memories that will last a lifetime. College is really an opportnity to find yourself, learn who you are and what you want out of life. Academically it is important to know your learning style and time management skills. College is fun, but also hard work. Dont ever loose sight of the big picture and the goal that you are striving to fulfill. Take full advantage of this unique time in your life to explore YOU because it will be gone before you know it.

If I had the ability to go back in time and talk to myself during my senior year, I would tell myself: Be prepared for change. From experiencing college, I have come to realize that my lifestyle, my social life, and my school life have all changed dramatically. Since starting college I have gone through two roommates, gained new friends, lost friends, gotten a job, moved off campus, got engaged, and am currently registering to go to an entirely different college than what I started in because my first college discontinued my Spanish major. If I would have known then what I know now, I probably would have ran for the hills. These changes definitely threw me for a loop, but somehow I survived them. By surviving these events, I have become stronger as a person. Instead of being selfish and going back in time to try and change the future so I could have the perfect college experience, I would just tell myself to be prepared for everything that is about to come. Although getting past those obstacles was difficult, I wouldn’t change it at all because they have made me into the girl I am today.

I've notice my college experience has been educational. As much I want this to be over an see myself walk in a big business with my degree in hand and ready to work a 100,000 plus salary. I want this college ride to be valuable to my destiny. See, when I first came here to Clark Atlanta University, I expected higher level education, but have gotten universal level of education. Even as you walk the halls of CAU, you can feel being apart of a family of sholars and winners. Winning is more valuable here then anything especially good grades or just feeling like a winner cause you have an opportunity of getting a chance to do something great in your lifetime . You'll never imagine going downward here at CAU, only a vision of persistency, determinaton, friendship, love, and panther pride. Its hard not loving your fellow peers here cause we all are on the winning team of dreaming. Watch not time go by, but watch as your life rise to the universal level of grade A quality education that'll soar you to uncharted areas you never expected. CAU, panther pride is definitely a valuble experience.

College has changed my point of view of how the world works. Starting college was a huge change for me, but I have come to love the environment that is Carlow University. The fear of college and not passing was great when I first started. When i met my professors' they made me feel like I was at home. There was times when I needed help in some of my classes, and they instantly were there to give me guidance. College helped me become someone entirely new. I can start up conversations with people in a more sophisticated manner that can keep them interested in what I have to say. I feel as though there is more opportunities opening up for me as I continue on my path to enlightenment. To obtain my education is my goal to keep going with college. The environment has helped me to accept difficulties as they come instead of worrying about them before hand. When I finish college I plan to get a job in Graphic Design at an advertising agency. Everything I learn in college will enable me to become closer to obtaining my dreams for the future. Education is amazing to achieve!

Calm down. I know this process seems like a burden rather than a great experience. Try your hardest to do well on the SAT's. Your SAT scores can take you a long way. Not only can these scores determine your admittance, but they may also allow you to skip taking a class or two that your future friends may have to take. But believe me, applying early to colleges is a great step and might even reduce your stress level that most high school seniors experience when their nearing the end. The more you take this seriously, the better chances you have of going where you want to in life. This year is truly your first step in taking control of your future. Now, when you finally get to the college of your choice, or to the college that accepted you, stay focused. Know that having fun and partying is great and everything, but your work comes first. Because, of course you can party for those few years, but what is more important is the years after graduation. I have learned that hard work, and involvement in activities will continue to benefit me. Be a life long learner buddy.

I am a senior in college at age 59. If I new 45 years ago what I know now, I would have approached high school differently. My first decision that delayed me becoming a college student was my teen pregnancy. I was 8 months pregnant when I graduated as an honor student in 1969. I love my daughter, but I should have waited to get married and have children. I was an honor student throughout high school, but I prepared to get married and leave my alcoholic mother, instead of going to college. My goal should have been to attend college and work for a better life than my mother was able to give me. I waited until my husband died and my autistic son graduated from school before I started college. I should have put myself and my future first and attended college at age 18 and not 51. I should have concentrated more on academics and college boards and less on getting married and having a baby as a high school senior. I should have seen college as my ticket away from my mother's alcoholism instead of choosing teen marriage and pregnancy as my only way out!!

The best advice I could possibly give myself would be to always take things in stride, never allowing myself to get behind or overwhelmed. College is a journey, one that must be walked out everyday to its utmost. I would warn myself that wasting time will only add to the general stress of school, and can cause my overall ability to not be as strong. Focus on learning all the information needed, not just the bare essentials. College is nothing like high school in that I must work harder than I ever have. High school, especially during my senior year, was tough, especially knowing I would soon be going to a university where I knew no one. I came from a small high school where I knew everyone and everyone knew me. College is not like that at first, but knowing what I know now, I would encourage myself to be confident in who I am. Putting away all shyness and just being who I am is the best way to make new friends and make a smooth transition from high school to college. But other than that I would remind myself to enjoy the journey that I am on.

In order to make sure the college that you are choosing is right for you, the best advice I can give you would be to visit atleast five prospective schools and meet with faculty, advisors, and current students in order to get a better understanding of the colleges' standards and values. This also helps you get a foot in the door if you haven't been accepted yet, with the added bonus already knowing people if you do end up attending that school. In order to make the most out of the college experience, it's important to attend the orientation events/icebreakers so you get to know other new students and can make new friends. It's also important to become involved in any sports or activities that you enjoy so that you can meet other people with similar interests. It's also a great idea to introduce yourself to your professors and ask them for help when needed. This way, you're not just a face in the crowd or a number, and you can build a relationship with them that will come in handy when you need a reference or letter of recommendation.

Being only a freshman in college at Carlow University I have already learned and experienced a great amount of things that are valuable. First and foremost, I have learned that bigger does not always mean better when it comes to an institution for higher education. I am currently receiving a very valuable education from a smaller institution and I am really learning what I need to for my major which is business and management. My college experience so far has been greatly appreciated. Having to pay for my education makes me all the more grateful to receive one. It is valuable to attend college because there are not many great jobs, if any, that you can have without one. It is also valuable because at this day in age more people in my generation need to be focused not just on how much money they can make, but how much they will be able to contribute to society in the future. The future will not be worth a lot when it comes to the value of the western civilization as a whole, which will be ironic if we keep up our "money hungry" attitudes.