Pittsburgh, PA
Carnegie Mellon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Carnegie Mellon University

Jesse

The best thing about CMU is the amazing variety of hard drives. Yes, you can tell the average guy's major by the size of his ... hard drive. Externals of over a terabyte would be your drama majors. The business majors need nothing more than their professional overpriced laptops. The IS majors pretend to be CS with large externals. Jocks of course stick to ... yes sticks, tiny tiny flash drives. The true CS major should not flaunt his hard drive, but instead hide it from the world. Our school is very focused on hardware. Walking to the sky is not artwork, its actually the antenna to a massive spaceship built under the campus (the steam tunnels are actually passageways). With all the memory at school, its no wonder that the average person downloads on average 5 terabytes per weekday, and 15 on weekends on our speedy campus connection.

The elegance of a student's body at CMU is made up for by his or her academic brilliance. There are a few exceptions, NoSuchMethodException, NullPointer, etc (yes, we hate Java too but it is taught here). Fortunately, our Starcraft tournaments have better turnout than the football games (at least I think we have one). Acceptable clubs include the KGB, CIA, OGS, OMGIHATE251, etc ... Do not join frats, your grades will suffer. Do not join sororities, well, ok most of them are fine ... most.

# Academics at CMU Here you'll learn how to program faster, better, more efficiently, and get a hot date, all with the same code. Leave CMU with the knowledge that your code will be better written, more well understood, and more compact than most others. Professors will largely ignore you for the first few years. Inevitably, your brilliance will outshine them. Then, you will be suggested by your advisor to move past the intro classes. Spending time with professors out of class is purely nobody else's concerns. Wink wink.

Social hierarchy: Tier 1 - Half-Life 2 and WoW Tier 2 - Starcraft chat and RL time in the computer lab (not doing hw) Tier 3 - Cool non-cs majors Tier 4 - Uncool non-cs majors Tier 5 - Faculty

We're all nerds Thousands of dollars are lost in WoW bets each day on campus CS majors have larger penises than football players We have hot professors

Heather

The best thing about CMU is the academics, particularly in fields that heavily deal with math and science, such as engineering. Expectations are high; in order to get a good grade in a challenging class, one needs to not only be intelligent, but also a hard worker. One thing I would change about CMU is the social atmosphere; people are unfriendly or just plain wierd. CMU is a little too small; though Univ. of Pitt (down the street) isn't academically as rigorous, I would imagine that people there have more fun and are socially more clued in. When I tell people I go to CMU, they say, "Oh! That's a good school." There is schoold pride in certain aspects; people are proud that they got into CMU and respect what the school has to offer to them academically. However, very few people attend sporting events, but that's probably because we're a division three school...

There are all types of people at CMU because of the strong contrast (generally speaking) between CFA students and engineering/math and science students. The campus is overall extremely liberal, so people with more conservative values may feel out of place. Also, most people who attend CMU are city dwellers, and are used to cit life, so anyone from a more rural area may feel out of place at CMU as well. Most students wear pretty casual clothing to class; jeans, T-shirts, some even wear pajama pants. The most prevalent social background at CMU is wealthy or upper middle class. This is because CMU offers very few scholarship opportunities and the tuition is one of the most expensive in the country.

The only reason why professors don't know my name is because I don't go to office hours that much; otherwise, I'm sure they would. My favorite class this past year was Calculus I because the teacher was funny and engaging. My least favorite class was Engineering Materials of the Future (27-100) because the teacher in the spring semester for that class, though very nice, is a horrible teacher. He talks very softly, so he's hard to hear, and he never gave us a very good idea of what we should study for exams. Some students study a great deal (over achievers), others are naturally very gifted, don't care terribly much about their GPAs, and get by without doing much work. Some students are competitive with themselves, but I have never felt that someone was competing with me.

Everyone has their own group or club that they're a part of, so it's difficult for me to say which is the most popular. Because CMU has an unusually large Asian population, their groups tend to be quite large, Such as the Taiwanese and Asian Student Associations. I would like to say that the dating seen is non-existent, but that could be a bit extreme... My closest friends lived in my dorm, including my room-mate, but it took us a while to become friends, and for a long time it seemed like we were heading towards not being able to stand each other, but then that suddenly was reversed. If I'm awake at 2 am on a school night, I'm studying for an exam or else finishing up a long homework assignment. Fraternities and sororities are a big deal to some people, particularly because of the buggy races ( a HUGE CMU tradition that is fueled mainly by the frats and sororities). Also, frats are where most of the parties are held. To avoid drinking on a Saturday night, you can go to a party with friends and just dance w/0 drinking (I do that because I don't drink, but my friends say that I already act likeI'm at drunk at parties because I get kind-of hyper...). Also, you could go out ot eat (many restauraunts in Oakland), go to a movie (buses to the Waterfront until late at night), or go bowling, etc.

The students are mostly nerdy, socially akward boys.

Tristan

The best thing about CMU is diversity in the college. CMU is not too large so I can go anywhere on foot. I spend most of my time at the gym to play sports with friends.

CMU students are from many places around the world. Almost half of them are Asian. I do not think that there is a racial issue here.

I like almost all Maths and Science classes. I do not like writing class. Most of humanity classes require active participation.

My closest friends are my floormates, especially the one that lives next to my room. Every Friday or Saturday night, students here always hang out with their friends on or off campus. There are many events, which will be informed via email, going on everyday at CMU.

Alex

CMU is the perfect size. It's small enough to make it easy to get to know many people on a personal level. Whether they are in your major, live in your building, or just go to the same parties as you, seeing people frequently and not getting lost in the crowd allows making friends with similar interests easy. At the same time, it's big enough that it doesn't get boring. There are always new people to meet, various clubs, organizations, and events to participate in, and is located in the middle of a huge college town.

There are loads of different cultures in the CMU student body. I think it is unfortunate that races are often segregated due to many clubs organized specifically for an individual race, but in multiracial settings the knowledge you can gain from people of different backgrounds is priceless. Being around someone from every part of the world really trains you to become a world leader.

So very true. Nearly all CMU students are nerds in their own special way, and most display it very prominently.

As far as academics, you can't ask for much more than CMU. The professors are amazing, very friendly and helpful. You will also probably end up doing research and working for your favorite professor in your major, which is an opportunity I don't think anyone should pass up. Learning inside the classroom is one thing, but actually seeing scientific phenomena occur in real life and using it in real life applications gives you a whole different kind of knowledge.

I've heard the expression "CMU is where fun goes to die." Completely false. Many students live by a Work Hard Play Hard sort of rule. CMU kids party, and CMU kids know how to have fun. Parties at a smaller school like CMU tend to feel safer also, since you will always know most people there. All the studying on weekends and sober seasons for sports are ENTIRELY worth it by the time Carnival comes around. 2 days off of classes plus a weekend meant for nothing but partying, relaxing, and carnival rides. This is definitely one of the best college traditions I've heard of at any school. Sports aren't very popular to watch, but being a college athlete is an incredible opportunity. Most CMU sports teams are ranked pretty high in NCAA Division 3, so our sports are very competitive for a nerd school. Being a girl at CMU, I find myself out numbered, at about a 3-2 ratio. Being a girl in the Carnegie Institute of Technology (Engineering), I find myself VERY out numbered, about 3-1. It's not so bad though, unless you are boy shopping. The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

The school size is absolutely perfect. Small enough to recognize your friends on the way to class but large enough so that not everyone knows your business.

Carnegie Mellon has a really diverse student body. There is a large population of international students which has made my college experience all the more interesting.

At CMU not everyone is a nerd. There are plenty of cool people, too.

The first day of orientation I met a business professor named Dr.Cofield who has not only taught me a class but has served as an advisor as well. He knows my name. He has met my parents and my boyfriend (a Maryland Terp) and sat down with a friend of mine from high school friend to talk about college. He tells me about his trips to Louisiana and I tell him about my spring break. He's more than a professor. This is what I love about CMU, especially the Tepper School of Business. I'm not just a number, not just one of thousands of students. I'm one of only 100 business students in my class year. It's a really unique program. A lot of work, but well worth it in the long run.

Not everyone here is a nerd like most people think. What seperates CMU from other institutions is that the students know how to buckle down and study but they also go to parties and have fun. I once hated Pittsburgh, but it has grown on me. Everyone calls it a "fake city." I agree with that sometimes, but there is a lot to do. All the sporting events - Pirates, Steelers, Penguins - are easily accessible by bus. There are some great restaurants and shopping too. Definitely not just a college town.

Everyone thinks CMU kids are completely nerdy and uncool. But the truth is, every college has people like that. You just have to find your group of people that you really click with.

Alonzo

I think the size is just right. The classes are small enough so that you can be noticed if you want to be an over-achiever, yet big enough to fall asleep in the corner w.o anyone caring. I do A LOT of work. Pittsburgh has lots of colleges, and it is usually easy to find a party if you know where to look. The CMU administration wants to make sure we all look like bright, smart kids that are going to take over the world. However, this usually means they punish the fraternities and kids who drink in their dorms a lot harsher than they should. There is not a lot of school pride, we are bad at sports. We have a new mascot though, which is much better than a piece of cloth. Essentially, everyone complains about the workload but has a good time in the process.

I think the size is just right. the classes are small enough so that you can be noticed if you want to be an over-achiever, yet big enough to fall asleep in the corner w.o anyone caring. I spend most of my time with my fraternity brothers, with my girlfriend, or doing work. i do A LOT of work. The administration wants to make sure bright, smart kids graduate and in the process the fraternities and people just trying to have a good time get shafted. There is not a lot of school pride, we are bad at sports. we have a new mascot though, which is muchhh better than a piece of cloth. Everyone complains about the workload.

There seems to be a lot of diversity on campus, I've run into all sorts of groups and they all convey their ideas in a polite way. They do not force anything on you. For example, I am an atheist and every day in the winter I go to the young Christians table and get free hot chocolate. Its a bond we share. So money... some kids have a lot of it and the other kids are on some kind of scholarship. There does not seem to be many people in between. Students are very aware of politics and current events. In general, the student body is a determined intelligent lot of people that enjoy working and discussing anything from the latest processor specs to the latest theater show.

Beware the linux clusters, the students are generally pretty smelly. A select few students attempt living there... thus the lack of showering is overpowering. If you get a chance to go to a drama party...you should go because they are usually out of control fun. DO NOT walk around alone at night, you WILL be mugged.

Actually, we have a lot of fun! It is just that for some people, programming a new kernel is fun. For others, drinking a lot and dancing is fun. I think for the most part, everyone is at least a little nerdy.

Here is CMU's selling point. Academics. They are great. You can learn as much as you want, almost any professor is willing to meet with you and discuss anything. You will learn useful skills that will help you get a job. They tend to focus on getting all students the hands on experience you would need to get "paid" as they say. If you want to really grow academically, this is the place to do it. The professors you will have are teaching because they want to prepare you for the real world. They have worked for Google, IBM, Johnson & Johnson, Goldman Sachs, etc. These guys know whats up.

So this is where CMU sucks. Doing all your work and having a social life is tough. Usually, you have too much work to do anything else. If you want to be an A student, you will be doing more work than fun. You will see nerds in the computer clusters, and you will see the drama/theater majors outside dancing or singing somewhere random. Since I joined a fraternity, it has been pretty easy meeting fun and easy going people. If you have the time, I would definitely consider going greek if you want to take your social life to the next level at CMU. Do not get me wrong, it is still possible to have a great social life w.o being greek but it will be harder for those of you who have lots of work. In summary, I actually like CMU a lot and I would not change my choice. Also, the closest bar, Phi bar, started scanning ids so the population of students with fake ids is pretty unhappy at the moment.

We have no fun. We are all nerdy.

There seems to be a lot of diversity on campus, ive run into all sorts of these groups and they all convey their ideas in a polite way. They do not force anything on you. For example, I am an atheist and every day in the winter I go to the young christians table and get free hot chocolate. its a bond we share. So money... some kids have a lot of it and the other kids are on some kind of scholarship. There does not seem to be many people in between. Students are aware about politics and current events. If something is happening, you will see someone talking about it.

beware the linux clusters, the students are smelly and have little social bearings. if you get a chance to go to a drama party...you must go. the girls are actually attractive and drunk and sloppy... DO NOT walk around alone at night, you WILL be mugged.

yes, for the most part, we are all nerds somewhere

Here is CMU's selling point. Academics. They are great. You can learn as much as you want, almost any professor is willing to meet with you and discuss anything. You will learn useful skills that will help you get a job. They tend to focus on getting all students the hands on experience you would need to get "paid" as they say. If you want to really grow academically, this is the place to do it. The people teaching are not regular professors that have wanted to teach their whole lives. They have worked for Google, IBM, Johnson & Johnson, Goldman Sachs, etc. These guys know whats up.

So this is where CMU sucks. the social life is tough. usually, you have too much work to do anything else. If you want to be an A student, you will be doing more work than fun. I joined a fraternity because it was too difficult to find students like me around campus. You will see your nerds and you will see the drama majors that are probably high dancing or singing somewhere random. Since I joined a fraternity it has not been so bad tho, I actually like CMU a lot and I would not change my choice. Also, the closest bar, Phi bar, started scanning ids so the population of students with fake ids is sad.

Laura

My favorite thing about CMU would be the people. Everyone has a few quirks and you don't really need to hide them. To give you an example I have an obsession with socks and I put ideas for poems or short stories on my ceiling so if I can work on them if I happen to be lying awake in bed. It's not that we're all mentally unstable, we're just all slightly not normal. Most people don't know where CMU is or they think it's only a performing arts school, or an engineering school, which really is the furthest thing from the truth. CMU school pride really isn't what you'd typically consider school pride, it doesn't really involve sports. Pretty much everyone owns CMU clothing and is proud of their school and going there, but we don't know the alma mater or anything.

It's like 40% girls 60% guys. There are a lot of Asians. Most people consider themseleves more spiritual than religious, but religious groups are present on campus and that kind of diversity is definitely accepted. People of different socio-economic backgrounds are present and I've never heard of any problems between people over that. People usually wear jeans and a t-shirt to class, but some people do choose to get dressed up, especially in the school of drama, and it's not a big deal, everyone kind of does their own thing.

New House/Stever House is the best dorm!

Within reason. We do study alot, but we got out too. Things are not very active socially on weekdays, but there's pretty much always a party on the weekends if you look. There's also a lot more to do in Pittsburgh than people think. You just have to look a little bit. I wouldn't say there are a lot of ugly people on campus, there just aren't a lot of gorgeous people.

So most people wouldn't think of CMU as a place that would have a strong writing program. This simply isn't true. One of my professors last semester is an editor who pretty much discovered pulitzer prize winners. By the time you get to advanced writing workshops you're expected to have a large amount of high quality work and depending on the genre it may even be expected that you'll be sending some of that work to literary journals.

You don't have to join greek life to have a social life, but it's always there as an option. There's a club on campus for almost anything and they actually mean it when they say you can start one if you don't find one you like. Every weekend there are $1 movies playing in one of the auditoriums which is great. Really it's all about finding a group of people who are into doing the same type of things for fun that you are, and that can be anything from playing laser tag through the dorms or party hopping or having a soccer tournament.

We're nerds. Not very many attractive people on campus.

Alex

I think that we're in a great part of the city. We have free museum passes, three professional sports teams, other universities, shopping streets, coffee shops and great bars. I do spend a lot of time at the library getting my work done, but once it's finished, there's a lot to do. There's a huge incentive for managing your social and academic life. A lot of students complain about the workload, and I've certainly done it, but while working at an internship this summer, I realized that CMU students are able to function and excel at such a high level and literally jump into the workforce and impress people from the beginning, all thanks to our ability to manage time and work. Being introduced as a Carnegie Mellon student elicits a lot of positive responses. At face value, people might not see CMU as having a lot of school pride. People attend football and basketball games, but it's not anywhere close to a state school. Our athletes are our peers, people that we sit next to in class and study with, so our school pride comes from supporting our friends, and other very unique CMU traditions. The annual Spring Carnival with BOOTH and BUGGY is one of the most memorable times for students. Greeks and other students build small carnival houses for the community and compete for the first prize, while Buggy participants spend the spring semester training for the spring relay race with the buggies, often waking up at 6am on Saturdays and Sundays to use the road. It's a different kind of pride, but it's totally unique to Carnegie Mellon. Sometimes I feel like it's something that you can't understand until you use your first powertool at Booth, or stand around trying to stay warm at Buggy practice, or sneak out to the Fence and paint it for the first time.

I feel that in general, CMU is a very tolerant campus. We have students coming from small towns in Ohio, and simultaneously, a large population of foreign students. I have noticed over my three years here that people of similar ethnic backgrounds initially group together. During their time here, however, there are a lot of opportunities to branch out; it's up to the individuals to take advantage of them. People dress pretty casually to go to class--it gets pretty cold in the winter, so you'll see a lot of down jackets and ski hats. In general, it's a fairly casual place. Financially, it's hard to say what backgrounds are most prevalent. I have friends who are here on all financial aid and grew up below the poverty line, and then others whose fathers are oil tycoons. We're all over the place with that, but regardless, people do talk about how much they'll earn some day. Students aren't particularly politically active, I'm not sure if the general population is aware or not. I was involved with the PA primaries and getting students to vote, and did attend several rallies for politicians this year, but I feel that it's more of a personal interest than popular one. The opportunities are there if you want them.

People always ask, "Are there, like, parties at CMU?" Yes, there are. You can find parties with alcohol, parties without, open parties, close house parties, and always a ton of students at the bars. We work hard and play hard. By the time you leave, you'll probably know atleast one bartender at one of the local CMU hangouts who will know your standard drink order and toppings for your pizza. If you want to drink, you can drink. If you don't want to, then nobody will pressure you. It's all about knowing who you are, and making sure that you get your work done before you play. Play too hard with the workload that you're bound to have, and you'll be heading on the Dean's vacation. Learn to juggle your commitments, and you'll be able to create a great college experience. There are professors that I'll never forget, being invited into their homes for dinner. I've complained to my advisor and had her pump me back up about what I'm doing here. I've made some mistakes, struggled through some classes and sailed through others. I'm in the home stretch now, but there are so many things that have made my CMU experience the college experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. Tuesday Night Wings, watching football games (Go Steelers!), learning to use a circ saw for Booth, running hill sprints at midnight with my Buggy team, Friday happy hours at PHI bar (you might see a few profs there), modeling in the student designer fashion show, sorority retreats, driving to Ohio for our club lacrosse games and playing intramural volleyball games have all been huge parts of my experience. At the risk of sounding sappy, I've had some rough times with the good ones at this school, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I can't wait to move in the freshmen this August for Orientation and spend the last week of my summer getting them ready for what could be the best 4 years of their lives if they're not afraid to leave their comfort zone, embrace their inner-nerd (even Bill Cosby said that we're nerds, and we cheered like crazy), pull a few all-nighters, and rally behind a Scottie Dog mascot.

Sure, there are kids like that. But I've also met some of the most outgoing and interesting people with such a range of interests through both working in dorms and meeting people in classes.

I am very close with a few professors, and have felt comfortable with attending office hours with about 75% of the professors that I've had. Some professors do seem more interested in their research at times. My favorite classes have been my upper economic electives, while my least favorite was 1st year World History. Group work is HUGE, atleast for the program that I'm in. You can learn so much from the people in your groups, but it's always important to set a standard of expectations for participation at the first group meeting. Students are competitive, but not in a cut-throat way. I've never felt uncomfortable about studying with my classmates (often, group work is encouraged), because there's always something I understand and they don't, and vice versa. We're all trying to do well here and get the best grades that we can in order to get that job that we want. I do feel that most of us are here to get a job, but I've found that I end up learning things outside of the classroom accidentally. Academic work is what I do to gain the expertise and knowledge to get a good job, but everything else (especially being an RA) is where I get to practice those skills.

I've been fortunate to see student life from a few viewpoints. First, I was a resident in a hall. The dorm was this great old mansion converted into a dorm, and our floor had a very tight family feel to it. We felt safe to leave our doors open when we were there, and most of my close friends were from that first year. I was an RA for my second and third years at CMU, and I got to see student life from a different viewpoint. I didn't realize during my first year how much time people invested to make our first year experience what it was. There are always a lot of dorm events going on, which is great. Floor events include trips to the ballet, the theatre, student productions, sporting events...you name it, we do it. I also joined a sorority in my sophomore year. At this point, most of the girls that I know outside of student life are also Greek. Percentage-wise, Greek life doesn't look big at CMU, but if you look closer, most of the student leaders on campus--student government, student life, volunteering organizations, tour guides, etc.--are Greeks. We're an involved group of people, who have a huge role in Carnival, Booth, and Buggy. Being Greek during Carnival, after putting in sleepless nights for building these things, makes you really appreciate the strong network you have around you. For me, my sorority and the Greek community in general has played a huge defining role in my experience at CMU, but I know lots of people who could care less about it. My roommate was the captian of the crew team and never had any interest in Greek life, and yet we're still great friends. It's all about what YOU want personally and joining an organization for the right reasons.

A lot of people think that we're nerds who don't do anything but play computer games together.

Jake

The best things about CMU is all of the interesting stuff that is happening around us and how many oppertunities for personal advancement we have. With world leading research happening everyday(by professors, faculty, and students), its no wonder that we are in the news so much. If you look at all the inventions and innovations that have come from individuals that have been heavily influenced by CMU then you will see many life saving, changing, and truly amazing things. As I mentioned before, even students are making amazing discoveries. The student run organizations on campus are truly a very deep and very enjoyable experience. From clubs that make plays, musicals, and comedy skits, to robotics clubs, green systems research, and scientific research, if you can't find something that truly interest and challenges you then you simply didn't look.

CMU is diverse, that is the main thing that has to be taken into account when thinking about our campus. There are many different people from all sorts of backgrounds and from many different nations. This diversity does not inhibit friendships, infact it causes many different people to form friendships that are nurished in the fact that they can learn so much from the others.

Well we certainly don't have as many attractive or athletic students as some schools, but we certainly do have people with great athletic abilities and nice looks. It is true,a lot of our student population is in fact foreign, however,this is one of the best features of CMU. Our diverse student population means we get to truly learn about and interact with other cultures, and it certainly makes debating more interesting. I would also imagine that a lot of people here would admit to being geeky or nerdy but that doesn't mean many people walk around with their pocket protectors on(except of course computer science majors, they always have theirs in). People here just take a great interest in whatever their passion is so they tend to be geeky about whatever they love.

Academics at CMU do not just simply take place in the class room. CMU is a university that strives to be the best at whatever it does. Both student and faculty take their time here very seriously. Students will often times be forced into late night study/work sessions that seem to happen at least every other day. The work load is not to be taken lightly and the course work is meant to bring out the best in every individual. However this does not mean Professors give the assignment and then disappear for the rest of the week. I have had many Professors that have set up study groups, had teaching assistants have extra hours and have had the Professors offer up their own time in order to make sure you got the help required. I've even had Professors hold study sessions in their own houses if they felt there was a need for it. This kind of hard working atmosphere is what makes CMU such a well respected school, but it also causes students to be thinking about new challenging ideas all the time. Often, you will find yourself and you classmates talking about the newest technologies or solutions to the complex problems that plague our world today.

Student life at CMU can be fun if you simply take chances and try new things. Students are found doing any number of activities including sports, art, theater, research, coding, and having a good time.

They are not especially attractive or athletic. Seems like most are foreign. All of them are geeks/nerds.

Carnegie Mellon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.