Pittsburgh, PA
Carnegie Mellon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Carnegie Mellon University

James

The best thing about CMU is that it is easy and possible to change things. The truth is that people here never seem to care about the community, and here is the only school, where you can grab coffee with the Deans or have lunch with the President. The school is just right in size, big enough to see everything. But small enough to get to know a group of people that have similair interests as you. The college town is great, but CMU doesn't seem to utilize it. There is not a lot of school pride, most people got rejected from their first choice and are pissed.

Poor students feel out of place here. Asians are ballin', and the brown community is absolutely amazing. Students get dressed up to go to classes. A lot of the girls are rocking out heels at 7AM. Most students have made money.

The Greek system is really interesting here. Houses have distinct personalities, and rush is difficult here.

To some extent-yes. This school isn't a party school, people come here to study hard and get an amazing job after college. I believe that people focus too much on academics and don't think about the community that they live in, that being said...I am somewhat of a hippie. I think that this school is amazing if you give it a chance.

Professors in H&SS tend to know your name-big science classes, not so much. Students study all the time, it doesn't make sense how much we all seem to work. Class participation varies by the subject. Some classes are horrible to participate in, other not so much. Students are extremely competitive in Tepper and MCS. It made me want to never want to talk to them again. CMU is geared towards getting a job.

ASA is a huge club on campus, so is Mayur SASA. Dorms vary by people, and there is a great amount of people that are nerdy CS majors. Freshman year-most boys stay in the frat quad. So, do the girls. Eventually, they will get ballsy enough to grab a fake and head down to PHI. Unfortunately, most bars card, so the chance of leaving the greek quad is iffy.

CMU kids are extremely nerdy, they spend most of their time studying. Tepper kids are backstabbers, and CFA kids are all better looking. In addition, none of the students tend to give a damn about things outside of the classroom or textbooks.

Mike

CMU is a great school if you like different people and cultures you may not be familiar with. There is a lot to do in Pittsburgh, and people that say there isn't are usually those that love to complain. A good amount of people here are snobs from rich eastern seaboard towns or an international hub. This is what I'd want to change the most. People here have huge egos but not all the skills and talents in order to make it plausible. There are many brats here spending their parents money and acting as if they have earned something. It is a very big problem at CMU. That rant aside, it is a great place to go for the academics and you can meet smart, well rounded people. Some people here do have extraordinary minds, both analytically and creatively, but everyone at CMU also claims they do as well so finding the truth can become difficult.

CMU is a true melting pot of many different races, religions, and cultures. You will find an incredible mix of people with different backgrounds and experiences. There does tend to be a great deal of cliques and also a large number of spoiled "kids" who have no respect for anyone or anything but money. Money drives many of the students endeavors at CMU so creativity can sometimes fall to the wayside for pleasing a teacher for a grade. Students here whine about grades and the worklaod and it is a very cutthroat environment with everyone competing to be at the top of the class. But if you relax and do things your own way, you can find not only happiness at CMU, but friends that will be unlike any you've had before.

Well, these are somewhat accurate, but there are some people who care about more things than books and are attractive. I would say that most of the time people over-emphasize this and also have unrealistic expectations for themselves.

Academics at CMU are top notch. Professors know who you are and are brilliant. Professors at CMU are involved in cutting edge research and have reached the highest levels of academic credibility. There are Nobel prize winners and men and women that have devoted their lives to a specific field of study. CMU gives you a chance to learn from many great teachers and also prepares you for getting a job and how to live, work, and act in the real world.

Greek life is the main drive of events at CMU. Also, groups of students such as design majors or drama majors will have somewhat exclusive parties as well. CMU gets some great speakers to come and awesome live musical acts (such as Andrew W.K., MSTRKRFT, Broken Social Scene, and Whirlwind Heat to name a few) so live performances come by and kick some ass. There are also a ton of bars in Oakland and the Southside so you can go out anytime you want. Meeting a girlfriend/boyfriend is not hard as long as you are attractive. If you are good looking at CMU and were popular prior to attending, you will find it very easy to make friends and meet women/men. If not, it may be hard and you may be forced to settle for less than you normally would.

A stereotype about CMU students are that they are all ugly and nerdy.

Sharon

Wow, CMU the big picture. I dont even know where to start with this... Carnegie Mellon is, in my opinion and of course I'm biased, the greatest place in the world to go to school if you want to learn, work hard, meet amazing people, and do things you never thought you would ever get the chance to do. For me, coming from a pretty small town to a pretty big city was a little bit of a shock but the relatively small size of Carnegie Mellon makes everything seem closer to home. There are so many things to do here (like shows and sporting events and museums) that I have never had the chance to do. That being said though, Pittsburgh is not a college town. You kinda have to know what is going on and when, but there is always some party going on. Mostly people can't believe that I go to Carnegie Mellon. My friends make fun of me because I'm not good at video games and people that I meet for the first time are always surprised I go here. I get mixed responses from people such as "Wow I didn't think you guys ever left your rooms" to "That must mean you are really smart". It's always fun to see people's reactions. If I could change one thing it would be the school spirit on campus. I love all sports, both playing them and watching them, and I really wish more people shared the same view. Sport events are fun to go to here though especially if you can get some rowdy people to join you! The most common complaint is that CMU is killing their students. It's a really hard school to get in to and unlike most difficult schools to get into, it gets harder when you get here. If you can put the time in and the work it's doable.

I dont think there is a single person who would feel out of place at Carnegie Mellon. It is one of the most diverse college campuses I have come across (and I say this by citing conversations with my high school friends). I can't imagine it being any different though. The greatest thing is that I have met amazing people from all over the world and now if I ever traveled to another country, chances are I would know someone who lives there! It's really exciting. People here are really really involved with all sorts of things outside school. Honestly, sometimes I dont know how people can make it from day to day but its inspiring what people can accomplish here.

Carnegie Mellon is a fun amazing place to go to school, as long as you take the opportunity to make it that way!

I say the only thing that is really true across the board is that fact that Carnegie Mellon is very difficult. While you will find people who would rather spend a friday night in their room on their computer, there are plenty more who go out and have a good time. People here are incredibly intelligent and I am constantly blown away by other students, but everyone is so involved with so many things that usually their academic record is not even close to their only accomplishment. Some people dont sleep. Personally I think that is crazy and get at least 7 hours of sleep on school nights

So I realize that everyone who is reading this probably can't see the 20 questions they have suggested I write about so this might seem a little all over the place.. I am a Biology Major in the Mellon College of Science. My favorite class was definitely intro to modern biology. My teacher was amazing and I learned a whole lot. My worst class was definitely physics 1 for science students. It was insanely hard mostly because I am just not good at physics. Overall, I enjoy the classes I have taken although there are definitely some requirements I would take out. If you make an effort to talk to your professor at least once your professors will know your name. I would say that probably 80 percent of my professors know my name. It gets a little harder when you are in a lecture with 200 students but then you have classes where there are just 8 of you so it really depends on the class. Students here study alot and are very competitive! You just have the find the right balance between work and play that suits you and then let things go.

There are more activities to get involved with on campus than I could probably even make up. One of my favorite activities that I am involved with is the Women's Club soccer team which isn't as competitive as varsity, but we still compete against other schools. It is so much fun and the girls are super chill: we just get together and play soccer! Social life on campus is alright. Most weeknights you will be up late doing homework or studying. On the weekend there is always something going on. It's just about whether you know about it and whether you have the time. For example, last weekend I went to a 21st birthday party for my friend, a fashion show put on by students and an after party at a club downtown. At least one fraternity is having a party every weekend it seems but people also party off campus and go to the many bars in the south side or clubs in the strip. If you dont drink there are plenty of things to do in downtown pittsburgh or the surrounding neighborhoods.

That everyone here loves video games and programming more than going out. That students are really smart and hardworking and can't do anything else. That this school is really challenging and makes you work really really hard. oh and that we dont sleep here

Anna

CMU is not a cookie-cutter university, and students here do not have a cookie-cutter experience. This is a quirky place. We stay true to our Scottish roots. We are proud to be the Tartans, even though a piece of cloth is not a particularly intimidating mascot. If for some reason we feel the urge to have a conversation with a robot, we can satisfy that desire. On the weekends, we can watch musical theater performances put on by future Broadway stars. We have a fence and we like to paint it. A lot. But only between midnight and sunrise. Due to a recent art installation on campus, CMU is the only school where you will find students asking "is that a real person, or part of Walking to the Sky?" We put tiny people in small, aerodynamic vehicles and race them. Saying the word "carnival" within earshot of a CMU student is likely to result in stories of debauchery and the discovery that everyone here is capable of being a successful carpenter. All in all, CMU is a pretty unique place.

I think most people at CMU are huge nerds--but this is something that we celebrate. Also, our nerdiness is more defined by the fact that we all care a lot about what we do. At the commencement speech my freshman year, the speaker talked about how great it is that we're all nerdy because it means that we're all passionate about something. It's what links us all together. Some people play World of Warcraft, I guess. It's not an incredibly common activity, though. And I have yet to see anyone with a pocket protector. As for the attractiveness of the student body, I think CMU is probably comparable to our peer institutions. Fact is, most people here just care more about their homework than spending several hours primping in the mirror before class. Personally, I think that's a good thing.

Haha, where should I start? Perhaps the most pervasive stereotype is that everyone at CMU is a huge nerd. We all wear pocket protectors, interact much better via AIM and rarely leave our rooms because we are too busy playing World of Warcraft. Quite honestly, CMU students also have a reputation for being ugly. Students in the College of Fine Arts are supposed to be the only attractive people on campus. Drama students are supposed to be completely insane.

Andrew

The best thing about CMU is that when you graduate you know you will have a job, especially if you're an engineer, but employers just seem to really like our students in general. If I could change one thing it would be the workload -- it really can be too much at times. The school size is about right, though by the time you're a senior you will feel like you know everybody, which is sort-of nice but it can feel a bit like high school again. We have Pitt next door and a few other colleges around but it still doesn't feel much like a college town. CMU's administration is really concerned with helping students cope with the workload, I haven't given it a lot of thought but I'd say they do a great job helping kids enjoy their college experience. Most frequent student complaint: too much work. No big controversies on campus that I'm aware of, that is one unique thing about CMU, students are pretty self-absorbed so there's not a lot of campus-wide issues that really dominate discussion. An experience I'll always remember is singing karaoke at one of the campus cafeterias on Friday nights -- I don't know if they still have that, but it was a lot of fun.

The student body here is diverse, but you'll find like a lot of places the races don't mix. The Asian kids are in their corner often speaking a different language, and the black kids are in another corner and then the athletes all stick together too with their respective teams. The only time you really mix groups is in class when you'll work with anyone if they can make studying or your homework easier. The other thing about the kids here is that they are universally dorky -- there are some normal kids who play sports and don't play Dungeons and Dragons, but my friend here told me this and I think it is true -- whenever you are around a CMU kid who you think is cool, just remember where they go to school and give them some time and they'll do something to give themselves away. Students are not political at all. Financial backgrounds-no clue, mostly wealthy I assume but it's hard to tell. They always are talking about how much they will make, it is like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that students talk about to make all of the long nights studying and the lack of girls here all seem worth it.

It can be a tough school, but just as a summation, I think it's a pretty neat place to spend college, even if it means less drinking and girls and more late nights studying. You'll meet some really incredible people, and if you stay in contact with them maybe they'll look after you when they're rich.

I think for the most part we are a school of workaholics. Everybody here is very smart and very dedicated to whatever they're studying. We are also almost always stressed out. The one thing people don't realize is you can have a pretty good social life. There are lots of parties on the weekends, a fair number of attractive girls and even though a lot of guys have no idea who Peyton Manning or Tiger Woods are, there are still a fair number of normal college guys who like to drink beer and watch sports and go to parties to meet girls.

Academics at CMU can be a great experience. Professors are at the top of their professions and they genuinely care about teaching and making sure students are doing well. Plus there are so many neat classes you can take to fill your general requirements -- my favorites have been economics courses which I took on a whim and now I think econ is something I may dedicate my career too. Classes themselves are usually very small, but in classes I have been in, most students are very shy so there is not a lot of participation. Students often work together on homework and I have never seen any competition at all among students, probably because there is no class rank and hardly any professors give curved grades, or assign a fixed amount of students to get an "A" a "B" and a "C" etc. The education at CMU is geared towards both getting a job and pure learning. Professors teach skills you need for employment, but they give you more than that as well. With only a few exceptions my professors have been phenomenal teachers, they have graded reasonably, they have prepared fun, interesting lesson plans, and they have taken the time to get to know their students, even in big classes. One economics teacher even went out to lunch with his entire class of some 400 kids in small groups.

There really isn't a popular sect, if I had to pick a group it would be the men's basketball team, but they certainly don't own the campus. Athletics events are getting more popular and now you can get a really good crowd at a lot of games. The big thing though is intramural sports. Everybody plays and it is the talk of campus, especially flag football and basketball. People love it. There are lots of great speakers but they are not well-attended. It's not if you're awake at 2AM on a Tuesday, but when you're awake on a Tues. at 2AM and you are STUDYING!!. People party every weekend and it's mostly drinking and hanging out -- frat parties aren't so big these days since the school has really cracked down on them for serving alcohol to minors. If you don't drink, there are free movies, cheap shows and lots of other kids like you too hang out with. I think there are also a lot of kids that don't socialize, don't date etc. They hang out in their rooms doing work or playing computer games, and many of them have never been to a party or kissed a girl. I'm friends with a lot of these people and they are not embarassed about it, it's just who they are.

The most common stereotype about CMU is that it is a dorky school for workaholics with no social lives. People also think the students here are all Asian engineers and weird drama people. Plus I heard somewhere that in a survey the girls at our school were voted the ugliest in the country.

Alan

The best thing about CMU is the diversity. Our school is a melting pot of international students and students from every state in the nation. Furthermore the diversity of the academic colleges allows for a student interested in policy making to see fantastic shows from drama students while working on a project that somehow includes robots! I would change the perception that CMU doesn't have an engaged student population. The size of CMU is small enough to not feel overwhelmed and to be able to know a lot of people while being large enough to still see random people who you have never met before. Since it is located in the Oakland area of Pittsburgh I wouldn't call it a college town but rather a college city. With five universities in one neighborhood you are surrounded by a lot of students and the amenities that goes along with that. If you want to about anything unusual about Carnegie Mellon it's summed up in four words, Booth, Buggy and Greek Sing. I will always remember the feeling of winning Greek Sing after practicing for 4 months for a fifteen minute show with my fraternity brothers and a sorority.

CMU is a very open campus. There is tolerance of all races, religions, the LGBT, and socio-economic disparity. However there is a definite prep style here that isn't snobby. CMU students are from all over. Many students come from New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York. But there are a huge minority of international students and people from the West Coast, Florida, and the

This stereotype is incredibly true for some people. However it does not represent the majority of campus AT ALL. Most people are active in a couple organizations and interested in the world around them.

Professors are approachable, sometimes. It really depends on the class. In a big lecture hall there are 200 students so the teacher might have some difficulty, but in smaller classes the teachers are easily accessible. Furthermore, even in large lecture hall style classes all the teachers have office hours in which you can stop by and field questions. If you aren't a serious student don't come to Carnegie Mellon. Their is a definite work hard play hard attitude here. CMU students engage in intellectual conversation all the time. However it's not snobby or too intellectual all the time. We are still in college and are in touch with the world. Students here are very competitive. If that worries you, don't come to CMU. CMU's education is directed toward getting a job! Our career center is top notch and will assist you to not only find your dream job but also help you figure out what your dream job actually is.

The main stereotype about CMU students is that they all stay in their rooms and play video games all day.

Rob

CMU is a great school as a whole. Like most schools it has it's ups and downs and one of the "lacking" qualities of CMU is its student involvement. We have a huge international community which adds to the cultural flare on campus but at times the sensitivity of these segments can get overwhelming. CMU has a very devoted passion toward diversity and individuality. They are building campuses and university relationships across the globe and the opportunity to work at or attend one of these programs is fairly easy if you know who to ask. Stress is high, however, leading to an environment where the week is completely devoted to school and Friday night is almost always an excuse to unwind...if you're not in the library finishing the paper that's due at midnight.

CMU is an extremely diverse campus with an extraordinarily accepting environment toward GLBT students, students of different races, and students of varying religions. I would not say that very many students come from "poor" backgrounds but there are a few and rarely will that ever come up in conversation. The drive of students is remarkable and it shows during junior and senior year when the contest to see who got the best internship or job creeps up. It's kind of cool to see the variety of interests in the student body: we have our friendly robotics people who wear their capes to class, the hippy crowd who don't wear shoes to class, the jocks (albeit few and far between) in their popped A&F shirt, and the vast majority of the rest who are your average Joe just like everyone else trying to get through one of the toughest academic schools in the country.

Students here can agree on one fact: getting good grades at CMU is hard. Our QPA (our version of a GPA) is almost a half point below most other comparable schools. There's no grade inflation, leading to very tough courses and little time to have fun outside of class during the week. Because of the type of student attracted to CMU's fast-paced and ever changing environment as well as the relatively small student body, it is easy to leave a class talking about the latest in electrochemical research and see someone you know, cut off, and get into an argument over the most recent political fallout. The level of thinking is pretty high and that's a nice contrast to our sister state school next door (University of Pittsburgh). Professors are easy to get a hold of or discuss grades, the future, or careers with but tend to care more about their research then about teaching.

CMU has a stereotype of being an incredibly nerdy school with a very limited social scene. It is try that most of the students are generally nerdy engineering and computer science people but as far as the social atmosphere - if you know where to go it can actually be pretty good.

Carnegie Mellon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.