Pittsburgh, PA
Carnegie Mellon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Carnegie Mellon University

Isabel

A nerdy pressure-cooker where you'll laugh, cry an uncomfortable amount, and learn a whole lot.

Someone who is ready to work really hard and at least has some idea of what they want to do in life. Self-motivation is really important for CMU, so is being a little bit nerdy.

I think it’s important to know that even though you are bout to make a huge transition, you are still you-- a changing you but you nonetheless. You feel that you're "over" parts of your life. You think that you're ready to give up things like theater because you don’t see a future; try thinking creatively, are there are other theater jobs besides what you’ve done in high school? Consider this: Dramaturgy is a career and a major-- who knew? Don't underestimate the power of your passions. It's important to listen to your heart in conjunction with your head so that you can spend your time doing what you love which will make it easier to succeed. You're going to transition into college life just fine. You'll make friends, lose friends and find a new family just like you did in high school. Remember that everyone is adjusting, so everyone is terrified and unsure of themselves. Listen to your mom, she's right about that electric kettle-- you're really going to want that. And don't spend any money on a bathrobe. They're useless. No one uses them.

Daniel

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there are a couple of pieces of advice I would give myself. The first is that the world is full of different paths in life. From just a college perspective I see chemical engineers, creative writing students, programmers, and architects. The possiblities from a college education are expansive and should not easily be overlooked. Another piece of advice would be to expect nothing. One thing I learned is that trying to predict how your current or upcoming semester will be an impossible task. Oppurtunity and obstacles are always coming forth and each can only be dealt with at the present moment. Approaching college with an open mind and understanding of your present self is the best you can do. Lastly I would tell myself where good friends are to be found in college. During my first two years I joined different groups and participated in alot. The search was interesting and fun, but when you have good friends by your side college becomes a communal experience. You share more sad and good moments with familiar faces, which always make them mean more.

The type of person that should attend Carnegie Mellon University is somebody who knows what they love and isn't afraid to work hard for it. I am saying this not because I don't believe in searching in colllege, but for other reasons. Each department at CMU is very proud of what they do and excited to teach. Your passion can be fine arts, engineering, computer science, or global studies. If you know what area you love you will find Carnegie Mellon to be very supportive and eye opening.

If I was to brag about Carnegie Mellon it would be about the hardworking atmosphere. I would also proudly mention that the school is innovative and often supports interdisciplinary projects. Also while all members of the school are strong techniqually in their fields, there is a definitie emphasis on concept and orginal ideas.

Clyde

The kind of people who want to try new things.

The kind of people who want to try new things.

Don't get hung up on that one pretty girl you met on the incoming freshmen Facebook group the summer before going to college. It's not going to pan out and while you're on that wild goose chase, you could have been meeting the other girls who were going to end up in your social circle and would have been much better for you. Instead they will end up in wholesome committed relationships with peope who aren't you, and you can't even hate the other guys for it because you'll end up becoming good friends with all of them. In other words, my advice to you is that you'll become much better socialized in college than in high school and you don't need to fall for the first girl that pays attention to you.

Nathan

I would tell myself to be true to myself. Don't worry so much about what others think. Stick to your principals and don't get caught up in the gossip mills. Also, take more time to help others.

The workload. I studied an average of 17 hours a week for one of my classes and it still wasn't enough.

Corinne

We're probably best known as a technology school, but Carnegie Mellon is a lot more than that. We do have an outstanding computer science program and great science and technology programs, but having that kind of expertise really brings something special to the arts and humanities. Humanities students get a lot more exposure to what the sciences can do for them than they would get anywhere else in the world. CMU is all about mingling disciplines and working a little outside your major.

In senior year after I got my acceptance and rejection letters, I almost didn't visit Carnegie Mellon. I had gotten unto UCLA, and I thought that was all I needed. My parents told me that if I still wanted to, I could go visit one school out of state. I didn't mind taking a day off to travel, and Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh had looked interesting and fun. Just a few weeks later I flew out with my dad. On the way there, I expected to see the city a bit, tour the campus, and then confirm with UCLA as soon as I got home. By the end of our trip, I was completely in love with Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon's campus, and the school's personality. I enrolled right away. I've already told some graduating seniors I know that if you feel the pull on a campus, no matter where it is, follow it. I've loved nearly every minute of my year there (perhaps except for finals) because even though I've lived in Los Angeles all my life, Carnegie Mellon is not just my school, but my home. Every student should find their home.

Lindsay

Carnegie Mellon is a college with great programs in many diverse fields. We have experts in fields ranging from computer science, to fine arts, to engineering, to philosophy and decision science. And students whose interests vary by just as much. This leads to intensely passionate students who love to share their knowledge and interests with other students. No other college that I looked at had so many options for students whose interests varied so much.

I would tell myself that finding the right college is more about knowing yourself than comparing statistics or rankings. I spent so much time trying to balance my college list that in the end I wasn't even sure how I felt about all the colleges. I got so caught up in the pressure of finding a college that I would be comfortable at, but also help me in my future career goals. There was so much to think about, and so much great information from every single college I looked at that I got caught up in all the technicalities. Throughout the entire college process, I was sure that there were dozens of colleges I would be happy attending. The problem was finding the one I would be most happy at. But it would have been easier to know what that best fit was if I had learned more about myself. If I had known what environment and programs I needed to grow and challenge myself, I would have been more sure of my choices and could have saved myself a lot of unnecessary stress and anxiety.

Carnegie Mellon offers lots of interdisciplinary options for students. There are dual degree programs which allow for combinations of studies in fine arts and natural science, engineering and humanities, and other colleges. There are also interdisciplinary majors such as the Global Studies major. So, instead of having your options limited, you have the opportunity to combine your interests in productive ways.

Julia

Diverse. Interesting. Pretty cool.

Diverse. Interesting. Pretty cool.

I wish I had been more certain about what I want to do-- the school will support you if you want to do interdisciplinary studies, but there's a difference between interdisciplinary and interested in too many things.

You have a lot to look forward to. College will be better than high school, and the transition isn't that terrible. First semester will require some adjustment, even if you're prepared for the change. Be sure to take care of yourself. Even if there's tons of stuff you want to do, remember to keep your life balanced between academics, social life, personal life, sleep.

Leonard

Classmates are serious about their work but always supportive. It's hard working environment where you learn to depend on your classmates and they in turn learn to depend on you as well.

Best known for the rigorous amounts of work that accompany difficult courses. We also have extensive research opportunitys in alot of fields that make it easy for a student to delve further into their respective majors or even go past that.

I've taken classes and I've done projects. I've done the homework and taken the tests. They have taught me much and in no way do I doubt that I have become more educated than I could ever imagine. However, even with all the typical tasks of a college student I think what I have gotten out of college goes past that. To me college was an awakening, a realization that the reality of the world was a lot more different than I had pictured when I was in high school. I caught my first glimpse of what it was like to shoulder all my responsibilties by myself. I made my own decisions. It was no longer about what looks best to wear or when was I going to meet friends. It was about, "how do I allocate my time today?". The steps I need to take to achieve success are known, and experience has been my teacher in following through with my goals. With what I've learned through experience and through myself I am confident in tackling tomorrow.

Yevgeniya

In the short year and a half that I've been at college, I've learned a lot about myself. I've learned how far I can push myself, and I've learned how to better interact with other people.

Jesse

There are places for everyone at CMU. The really nerdy people have tons of friends and the really social people have a lot of friends. Design kids, greeks, and cultural groups are all places for people to get together. People are either really impressed that I go to CMU or just smile and say "oh that's good" but they really don't know that it is a really good school. The people are really good. Everyone is driven and smart. You can learn from everyone around you since everyone is working on such great things.

People are intense and dedicated and smart at cmu. You have jerks, like every other school, but people mostly leave others alone.

If you are a social person who was not the most popular person in high school or not the best looking, you can make your place at CMU.

Yeah, people are geeky and some are socially awkward, but if you are a social person, you will meet other social people. People are geeky in different ways. Some wear capes and play MTG, while others play video games. Some are strange and some are perfectly normal. And yeah, people are smart.

I know all of my design professors extremely well. They know my name, and I can email them about projects or questions whenever. The students in design are very talented and dedicated, but we aren't a cutthroat class. We don't sabotage each other's work or anything extreme like that. We all critique each others work and help each other succeed. We are actually all best friends which is the best.

If you are awake at 2 am on a tuesday you are either doing laundry, studying, working on a project, or hanging out with people in an attempt to have a social life. One of the best things of the year is Carnival. We get a 4 day weekend, party, have events, free food, and just get to relax a little but. A lot of social people are in frats or sororities, but you don't have to be in one to be social.

Geeky, socially awkward, smart.

Carnegie Mellon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.