Carroll University

« See more reviews of Carroll University

The lack of unity from one branch of management to another. Prior to attending school for the first time in the upcoming Spring semester, I was told that I would be contacted through the director of the housing department. Time came and went, I was growing increasingly anxious with the start of the semester looming in the upcoming week. I was able to make contact with the business office, but they knew nothing of the housing assignments. I believe information should be able to be obtained by members of the educational management departments for the sake of student conveniency.

The worst thing about my school is the cost. I enjoy all aspects of Carroll and the opportunities given to the students as far as convocations and fun events. However, paying so much money takes away from being able to do fun events off campus. Also, another frustrating aspect is that students and families pay a large amount of money and in some residence halls the equipment (vaccuums, washers, dryers) is very old and does not work well. You'd think if you pay $30,000 to go to school you would have nice items to use.

Recreational facilities are a big negative to this school. The recreation building is a historic building in Waukesha so they are not able to take it down to build a new building more advanced building. It literally has holes in the ceiling and few equipment choices. Combine that with a busy hour of the day and odds are you cannot workout. We also have troubles with the internet services here and there have been times when students don’t have internet for days at a time because of minor problems in the system.

If you don't have your own car on campus, it is very difficult to get off of campus. They do not allow freshman to have cars on campus, unless you petition to have one here. A shuttle service is offered, but it only goes 1 mile away from campus. Downtown Waukesha is within walking distance, along with a few other places to visit; however, walking there in the winter can get very cold. Unfortunately, because it can be hard to get off of campus, it is possible to feel sort of trapped, and have no where to go.

I would have to say the worst thing about my school is the age and upkeep of buildings on campus. Dorm buildings don't have Wifi internet access, and ethernet cords are required to get any internet in the rooms. There is one location with two outlets in the room, making it a pain to use the internet. The campus is small, but classrooms and training facilities are in need of expansion and addition to keep up with the increase of the school size and compete with other school's facilities and programs.

The worst part of Carroll University is the web site. The information is all there but is hidden. I am not particularly computer savvy and find the web site difficult to maneuver. When I was first considering Carroll University their web site was a big turn off for me. I worried that all school interactions would be just as complicated. Thankfully that is not the case. Luckily the site did become familiar with frequent usage, although I still find myself getting flustered from time to time.

The only thing that truly left a bad taste was the advisor I recieved. It is a small program so only one advisor had all the students in the program and there was no chance to change to someone who would have been more helpful. There is not very much diversity. While there is a decent international presence, the diversity is very small. For those who are in the minorities at Carroll though they are welcomed and do not have too much trouble fitting in. I just wish there was more.

The most frustrating thing about Carroll is that it is in the middle of a nieghborhood. It's only a 1/2 mile from downotwn Waukesha and the "center" of town, not to mention it's very close to Milwaukee, but when you don't have a car with you, it might as well be in the middle of nowhere. Which sometimes leads to some pretyt lame weekends, because the campus has "quiet hours" late at night, andthere isn't anywhere off campus you can get to easily to just hang out with friends.

The worst thing about my school is that they are accepting to many students and do not have enough housing for them. This was just an extra thing to worry about when I had a lot to do for my classes. I think it is stupid that the students who are going to be sophmores had to worry about having a place to live and not knowing if they could come back because they could not afford tuition or more expensive housing.

The worst thing about Carroll College is the parking lots. There is not enough room for commuter students and teachers to park. I have not had a huge problem with parking because I have received a parking spot by my dormatory building but when I have family visit, there is not a lot of places they can park due to the abundance of cars in the small parking lots.