Carroll University

« See more reviews of Carroll University

Choosing the right college can be a difficult task for parents and students alike. At the same time however, this choice can be one of the most rewarding and enjoyable decisions made in order to better prepare an individual for later success in his or her life. In my opinion, finding a school that is the right size is one of the most important factors to help make the most of the college experience. Many students who sit in large lecture halls have a difficult time learning material and interacting with their professors in order to enhance their educational experience. Finding a school that is the right size can also be helpful in regards to student to teacher ratios and the personal relationships students can develop with their instructors. Another important factor in finding the right college and making the most of the college experience is by understanding the type of environment a school offers both on and around campus. Students need to be aware of the kind of social life their campus offers and the overall level of safety around school in order to give themselves the best chance to succeed in the classroom.

College has allowed me to experience many things that I never imagined I would experience. It has provided me with many educational, social, and job opportunities. With professors who are extremely interested and knowledgeable in their fields, I have developed a new appreciation for learning. I have also learned how to interact with my peers at a greater level, and have expanded my critical thinking skills. I have also become involved in a volunteer mentorship organization through the college. This has allowed me to develop the skills that I will need for my future career, as well as the opportunity to help a child in need. College has also provided me with the resources for advancing my educational, social, and job skills for the future. I came to college expecting to simply learn new information for my field of study, but have come out with so much more. College has taught me how to become a more responsible, independent, social, and educated individual who is now interested with the issues that are affecting the community. College has allowed me to grow as a person, and I cannot wait for the years to follow.

Congrats for surviving life so far! Take this opportunity to remove yourself from what you know life to be. Realize that there is a world that offers much more than anyone has let you see. Attend a university maybe out of state or take that volleyball opportunity. Study abroad is a must, this will provide experiences that will change your life and help shape you into a beautiful, cultured woman. Study hard but enjoy the college experience. Gain relationships that will last a lifetime; that best friend most find in college, you will want later in life. Seek assistance when needed, remember everyone starts out with an empty toolbox for life, getting help and learning lessons is how you fill that toolbox to use throughout life. Don't let anyone sway what you're thinking or influence your decisons, only you have to live with those choices. The baby you have, love her like it's your last day everyday. She is special, learn about Autism, this will help too! Life brings angels some stay a short time, some forever. No matter what, listen to your heart and follow your dreams. The only person that can stop you is you.

Making the most of your college experience is essential in my opinion and throughout my own college career I have learned some values that I would like to pass onto the prospective parents and student who are in need of finding the right college and making the next fours years of their lives a memorable one. Personal style/ preferrence should be the main factor in deciding the right college. Did you go to a smaller high school and felt overwhelmed? Then maybe a big college with 10,000 is not a good idea because you will not be able to thrive. If your personality is vibrant, you did every possible club and sport then a school that can offer those activities and some could be the college for you. Those are just some of the hundreds of questions you need to ask your self before you go college hunting. My advice to the parent and student is this, sit down together and make a list of everything that will make you happy and enjoy your college and compare and contract that to many colleges because finding the right one is crucial and as parents will agree happiness should come first.

Get a job for starters! Study more and effectively, start projects/papers earlier, working consistently until the deadline. Stop procrastinating about things and get it done sooner. Communicate better with my teachers and definitely speak up in class even though my thoughts may have been expressed by another. Organize and time manage my daily schedule in a more efficient manner so I am not so stressed out about every little thing. Get out and socialize a bit more with friends when done with studying. Waiting until going to college to try to make it all work at once is a bad idea because it just creates more stress and everything begins to suffer! Challenge myself to try new and different things even though I really don't want to! College is a continuation of high school regarding classes and studies - just in a bigger campus setting. But, realize that parents won't be there to get you out of an academic jam or do your laundry, etc. - it's all on me! Take the time to experience as much as you can but also thinking about how it might work/apply to coursework/activities in college years.

Over my one year of attending college, I have gained confidence and knowledge. I have learned to manage my time wisely, valuable study skills that I know I will use for my years to come of school. I have taken public speaking courses which have boosted my confidence and made me more comfortable with speaking and interacting with strangers. The courses I have taken, varying from compositions to chemistry and calculus, have helped me grow as a person as well. My composition classes helped me grow an appreciation for writing, researching, and politics. Chemistry helped me grow fonder of the sciences. Before taking the class I was not a fan of science whatsoever, but now I have confidence in pursuing my undergraduate major in biology. Calculus made me appreciaate very much the hundred dollar calculator I had purchased for the class! College has shaped me into who I am today: confident, knowledgeable, beautiful, courageous, and intelligent. I hope to continue on my path to become Dr. Cheyenne Williams, more confident, more knowledgeable, even more beautiful, more courageous, and highly intelligent.

College is a time when students are able to determine for themselves what is important to them. In order to be certain, one must branch out and explore new ideas and activities. If I could talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to not be afraid to consider different concepts. Although I have a shy personality, I should step out of my comfort zone and take advantage of every opportunity to learn about other ways of thinking. Stressing the importance of involvement, I would explain that it is okay if I don’t know everything, but to pursue every experience with a positive outlook so I can broaden my overall knowledge. Because I do stress about my school work, I would try to persuade my high school self to recognize that academics are essential, however, I need to spend some time on myself. Whether it be socializing, volunteering, or being a member of a club, my involvement should be something I enjoy, even if it is not relevant for my career choice. Lastly, I would clarify that there will be some hard moments. Nevertheless, everything will pay off in the end as long as I’m happy.

My high school years could be described as anything but difficult. I was a very blessed student, having the ability to naturally excel at almost every class I was taking without having to put an extreme amount of effort into anything. Little did I know, that this blessing could ultimately be my biggest curse upon entering my college years. Now, I would describe my college years as anything but easy. Because I did not have to study hard in high school, I do not have the proper study skills to help push through my tougher, science related undergraduate classes. If I could go back, I would tell myself to go above and beyond what was expected of me as much as possible, as it would ultimately work to my benefit in the end. I would also challenge myself to take classes I just may not have seemed interested at the time, as a few of those subjects ended up being requirements for my undergraduate degree. If I could have the opportunity to revisit my eighteen year old self again, I would give this advice without hesitation. Hindsight is 20/20, but proper preparation can also outsmart hindsight.

Being able to go back and give advice to myself would be extremely helpful in three ways. First I would emphasize the importance of investing into each and every class because the information that is given to students from freshmen year through graduation is extremely important. Secondly I would mention that being a "STUDENT-athlete" is important, becoming a successful student before becoming a successful athlete will allow you to reach all of your goals and better you on the field. To go along with that the importance of being in constant contact with the coaching staff and professors so that no class work is missed and that the sporting events do not take away from the education. Lastly I would tell myself that there is plenty of time for fun, the time that you spend outside of the classroom needs to be balanced and it has to be productive so that when an opportunity for fun arises you know that you have accomplished the important things especially the school work. These three things would be helpful for me if I had the opportunity to go back in time to speak with my high school self.

If I could go back in time, I would tell my high school senior self to start saving money, stay on top of scholarship deadlines and explore all options of every college/university looked at. When exploring college options I looked at prices and never thought much of it, now as I struggle to pay for college every month I look back and realize that I never put into perspective what I was getting myself into. With no financial help from my parents and not interested in taking out loans I needed to (and still need to) exhaust every financial aid avenue I could find. However, I pushed off scholarships and did not really grasp that I would need to pay a significant amount of money every month in order to pursue my education. Not staying on top of things will put you behind significantly so do not take finances lightly. Also, when exploring a college make sure you understand all aspects of a university and how the faculty can help you. Ask questions about everything, know where and how to get involved, understand academic requirements and ask how the experience has been for fellow students.